[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think? -awesomewm -dwm -i3 and why?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 7

File: logo_400x400.png (189KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
logo_400x400.png
189KB, 400x400px
What do you think?
-awesomewm
-dwm
-i3
and why?
>>
File: bateman.jpg (58KB, 600x327px)
bateman.jpg
58KB, 600x327px
>>57872274
>why?

Hm, indeed.

Why any of them, honestly?

I just use gnome. It's the real modern desktop for serious users.
>>
Kwin-tiling

Fight me
>>
>>57872304
define "serious"
>>
I like i3 because it's simple, comfortable and just works.
>>
>>57872842
this so much, i3's configuration file is simple and you can rice it like a champion would do it
>>
cwm cause i like it
>>
>>57872842
>>57872933
/thread
>>
I'm gonna recommend i3 as well. I use it with debian and it does everything I need.
>>
xmonad requires haskell which is basically bloat to me because I don't haskell. The most painful to set up.
Awesome seems the most preconfigured if you want preconfigured.
Currently using i3 for a couple weeks, the only issue is keeping focus on the window or form/input field I'm trying to type in. After a while with cinnamon, focus doesn't seem to automatically read my mind, but that's just not enough muscle memory brain training on the keybinds, i'm sure.
I have never tiled dwm.
>>
inb4 gaps faggotry
>>
>>57872438
agreed. any serious user would use unity, the best desktop environment, included by default in the best linux distribution in the universe
>>
>>57873313
After a month of using tiled wm you become dependent on them. The rare times I have to use Windows in uni I look like a tard smacking the keyboard waiting for something to happen.
>>
>>57873313
xmonad is pretty much a gateway drug to writing haskell
if you want something simple though with few dependencies and sensible defaults (the worst thing about xmonad is terrible defaults) try spectrwm, another dwm-clone.
>>
>>57872274
I use i3. I like that I didn't have to customize it much to get it to be useable. Tried awesome but couldn't find the default layout in a few minutes
>>
i3 is babby tier. Manual tiling isn't much better than resizing windows with the mouse.

dwm isn't worth it. Having to recompile for all changes and fiddling with patched to get basic features isn't worth saving 1 MB of RAM and a few MB of disk space.

I use awesomewm because it sucks the least. Easy to configure, comes with all the features you could reasonably want, fully scriptable. I clone my config across multiple machines running different distros.
>>
File: autims spectrum.jpg (157KB, 1124x1046px) Image search: [Google]
autims spectrum.jpg
157KB, 1124x1046px
>>57872274
I fail to see the point of these fucking tiling WMs. Why would you want to constrain yourself like that? I fucking love it when I can resize my browser window when something's obstructing the view, for example.

Tiling WMs are for autistic kids with OCD.
>>
>>57876999
>STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE
-the post
>>
Hwrbstluftwm
>>
>>57872842
>>57872933
This. Awesome doesn't look so bad but it's quite shitty out of the box and I don't feel like learning Lua only so I can fix it.

i3 works great out of the box and further configuration is simple due to a much clearer documentation.
>>
File: onetruegod.jpg (39KB, 400x375px)
onetruegod.jpg
39KB, 400x375px
DWM

i3 had some annoying behaviour by defaulf
something about selecting previous windows or something
annoyed the hell out of me
>>
>>57872842
same here
>>
>>57876999
Windows are resizeable in tiling window managers, it just keeps them organized better. i3 has stacked and tabbed modes too for organizing windows. It also supports floating windows, which I tend to use if I want a calculator.
>>
>>57873313
about i3 keepong focus, you can disable focusing on mousemovement
>>
>>57876999
i use one because it doesnt need a mouse. you can move stuff freely if you need to in i3
>>
>>57877972
Was it that i3 doesn't have a shortcut for "go to the previous window"? Having to arrow key around can get annoying but you can also hover the mouse to focus
>>
File: 306.png (379KB, 680x569px) Image search: [Google]
306.png
379KB, 680x569px
i3

clean documentation
simple configuration
i3-gaps
lightweight and minimal

I didn't like awesome very much, but I might try out dwm and see how it is when my thinkpad arrives in the mail.
>>
>>57872274
> doesn't include spectrwm
you look really dumb right now
>>
>>57876999
The point is that the windows resize automatically so nothing obstructs the view.
>>
>>57876999
Trips were wasted on you.
>>
>>57872274
>awesomewm
retarded configuration
>i3
manual tiling is shit
>dwm
the only good one
>>
Using dwm is only a good idea if your package manager supports building from source and automatically adding patches.
>>
>>57879386
just use dwm's Makefile to install it
>>
>>57879673
dwm's makefile doesn't automatically update the source code.
>>
>>57879679
git pull && make install
>>
>>57879693
>Doing that for every piece of software you want to update instead of just doing pacman -syu, emerge --Sync && emerge --ask or apt-get dist-upgrade
>>
>>57877972
It's just one line in config to change that behaviour
>>
>>57879698
none of those will recompile your custom dwm source

you could even just put it in a cron job - or even your xinit since it compile so quickly
>>
>>57879725
>none of those will recompile your custom dwm source
That's why you shouldn't use dwm.
>>
anyone here /bspwm/?
that shit is cool af yo, custom scripts ftw, native gaps and pattern window inserts
>>
>>57872274
Openbox

Because tiling sucks, aestethic fix positions on the other hand whith normal floating behavior don't.
>>
>>57879740
because running a single command is too hard?
>>
>>57879770
Because your package manager will automatically pull updates for you for every piece of software. With a package manager you don't have to think "hey, better check whether there's an update for X !" where X is every single piece of software installed on your machine. Instead you just have to think "hey, I'll update my computer now" and you'll know what updated and how.
And don't give me that cron job bullshit, when updates are down without you knowing what exactly got updated fixing your shit is twice as hard.
>>
>>57879793
you can just make a script that upgrades both your local dwm source and runs your package manager

people who can't even do something so simple shouldn't use dwm anyway
>>
>>57879830
Yeah, keep on adding layers and layers on your operating system just because you want to use "muh minimalist window manager" while it's clearly against the philosophy behind said window manager. Totally makes sense.
>>
>>57879861
You're in a UNIX world now, bitch.
It's all about gluing shit together to make a whole.

A central system that has to handle every rare weird use case like your imaginary package manager goes completely against suckless philosophy.
>>
File: elite_hacker.jpg (5KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
elite_hacker.jpg
5KB, 184x184px
>>57872274
They are retarded and purposefully complicated just to appeal to ricefags and compulsive tinkerers desu.

Explain how e.g. i3wm is better in any way than a proper window manager (like openbox, etc.) + byobu / tmux / screen.

>inb4 it runs on less memory

Those tiling shits have basically two usecases:

1. Install it on a 12 year old laptop with 256 MB max memory and open up irssi and pbotograping it and posting it on reddit for karma

2. Install it on your modern PC and use it for 2 weeks before realising it's hindering your productivity because it requires constant tinkering and reading documentation and 10 year old stackexchange threads.
>>
>>57879907
>Explain how e.g. i3wm is better in any way than a proper window manager (like openbox, etc.) + byobu / tmux / screen.
You don't need take your hand off the keyboard all the time, to use the mouse.
>>
>>57879876
>A central system that has to handle every rare weird use case like your imaginary package manager
>Automatically applying custom patches when installing software
>Weird use case
Are you serious? That's exactly what you do when you update and compile dwm you fucktard.

>>57879907
Managing your windows is easier with keyboard shortcuts.
>>
>>57879948
And it's a rare use case, you retard.
You rarely have to apply your own custom patches to your software in common distros.
>>
>>57879941

You played yourself.

byobu / tmux <- no mouse needed
firefox + vimfx <- no mouse needed
>>
>>57879948
>Managing your windows is easier with keyboard shortcuts.
You totally can't alt+tab cycle through windows. Oh wait.
>>
>>57879963
So creating a script that handles your package manager and the rare use case of updating and installing dwm makes more sense than just using a package manager that handles updating and installing dwm? How retarded are you?

>>57879980
Go ahead, move and resize them using your keyboard shortcuts. You'll realize how innefficient it is to do that on a floating window manager.
>>
>>57879972
you're just using an additional tiling wm inside a terminal
that's a pretty poor argument against tiling wms

>>57879999
Of course it does.
Should I add a ton of complexity to the package manager to handle custom patches better for a single piece of software or just create a simple one-line shell script?
>>
>>57879999
Oh shit that's impossible. Oh wait.
<keybind key="A-F6"> <action name="Maximize"/> </keybind> 

Source: http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Actions#Maximize
>>
>>57880028
For cli programs: byobu inside a terminal window. For gui programs: actual windows. Best of both worlds and you are not constrained by choice.
>>
>>57880032
I said resize anon, not maximize. Imagine you want your window to be a hundred pixels wider. And then you want it to be at the center of the screen, between two other windows and another on top.

>>57880028
If your simple script is
cd dir;
git pull;
make;
make install;

why can't your package manager just do
for i in installed_packages; do
if [ ! -d "$i" ] ; then
continue ;
fi ;
cd "$i";
git pull;
make;
make install;
done
? There isn't any added complexity
>>
>>57880084
>i said resize
there's a config too, you know? edit the values save, close and reopen the window, done.
>pic related
>>
>>57880109
>Needing to close a window and opening it again just to resize it
Now I know you're trolling Anon
>>
>>57880133
better?
<keybind key="W-KP_Divide"> <action name="MoveResizeTo"><width>960</width></action></keybind>
<keybind key="W-A-KP_Divide"> <action name="MoveResizeTo"><width>1200</width></action></keybind>
>>
>>57880141
So you can't just widen a window? You have to set it to a specific size? That's dumb.
>>
>>57880084
You seem to be forgetting MERGE CONFLICTS. If you aren't heavily modifying/patching dwm, why are you even using it, except to boast on 4chan?
>>
>>57880146
there's pyTyle if you're that autistic.
>>
>>57880149
So a package manager wouldn't be able to handle merge conflicts but your one-line shell script can?
Come on Anon. Let's be serious for a minute.
>>
>>57880159
pyTile just transforms your floating window manager into a tiling window manager.
>>
>>57880166
which you seem to have such an hard on for tbqh.

Why would you need to resize everything by keyboard anyways? Temm me a specific case where ou have to resize individual windows if you're not using a tilingWm in the first place or have set them to have a fixed position/size.
>>
>>57880072
you still have windows on tiling wms, you can even have them floating

how is that not better than hacking a bunch of shit on top of openbox to make it behave like a tiling wm?

>>57880084
Why can't you do it yourself?
A script like that won't do anything the package managers you mentioned are aim to do, e.g. manage it in their database.
So you just made the package manager's behavior a lot less clear and confusing.
>>
>>57880185
>which you seem to have such an hard on
Yup, I do. Because it's more efficient than tacking a slow as shit script on top of openbox (I know it's slow because I used openbox+pytile before switching to dwm).
>Why would you need to resize everything by keyboard anyways?
Handling multiple Gimp window is a frequent use case.

>>57880189
>Why can't you do it yourself?
Why would I do it myself when I already have a piece of software that is supposed to do it for me?
>A script like that won't do anything the package managers you mentioned are aim to do, e.g. manage it in their database.
There's no need to add anything to a database when it comes to applying custom patches. See how emerge does it.
>>
>>57880237
>Why would I do it myself when I already have a piece of software that is supposed to do it for me?
Because writing a tiny script is faster than learning how your package manager handles that.
>See how emerge does it.
I'd be really surprised if emerge didn't manage the files of packages in some way
>>
>>57880237
Well, that's ok.
My point is, it's possible with openbox. And i've just done a basic configuration.
Dynamic resizing with keyboard seems dumb from my point of view and is probably the only argument against """" productivity"""". To each his own i guess.
>>
>>57879861
you have no idea what the hell of being a sysadmin is
>>
>>57873880
I have to say that coming from i3 i find that win10 has a pretty good tiling.
Pretty keybord friendly if you're ok with just 4 equalsized quadrants, still pretty good if you want uneven quadrants, even if you have to use the mouse to resize.
Obiously it's not as good as i3 but it's pretty comfy and one of the few reasons that make me say that 10 is much better than 8.1
>>
>>57873880
>>57881157
I forgot to tell you how, actually.
win+ arrow keys.
e.g. win + left for 50% on the left side
win + left, then up for 50% left, 50% up.
As I said, for uneven tiling you have to resize with the mouse, but the new windows you open in the remaining space adapt now, instead of being 50%
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.