[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is VMware better than VirtualBox?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: vmware_cloud_logo.jpg (37KB, 648x429px) Image search: [Google]
vmware_cloud_logo.jpg
37KB, 648x429px
Is VMware better than VirtualBox?
>>
Yes because it's not free
>>
>>57871928
Epic. Now head back to /v/ or /b/ or whatever you spilled out of

>>57871856
Read the second reply
https://www.quora.com/Which-is-better-for-virtualization-VMware-or-VirtualBox
>>
File: 1444836503774.png (360KB, 453x459px) Image search: [Google]
1444836503774.png
360KB, 453x459px
>>57871856
Qemu exists. Why is this thread here?
>>
>>57871984
You'll never be able to achieve vmware's greatness with your poor free stuff, sorry.
>>
>>57872124
Why are you still here, /v/ toddler?
>>
>>57871856
Depends on what you're using it for. If you're just going to run VMs to test stuff Virtualbox is fine. If you need iSCSI support, virtualbox has it, but vmware workstation doesn't (ESXi does). If you need to pass vt-x through to the guest operating system for doing tests on stuff like spawning guest VMs inside your guest Virtualbox won't do. That's a bit of a limited use case unless you're testing stuff like OpenStack and oVirt before you start deploying to servers.

Given the choice of the two: virtualbox works and is free and handles iSCSI out of the box without getting stuck with the whole ESXi, and inevitably vSphere bullshit.

If you can, kvm and libvirt work well enough in nearly all cases. virt-manager works well enough if you don't want to get into the nitty gritty of dealing with KVM on command line, and you can even use it for remote management on a server over SSH or SSL.
>>
File: vms.png (106KB, 1285x973px) Image search: [Google]
vms.png
106KB, 1285x973px
>>57871856
yes

just dont virtualize your freenas server.
>>
>>57872346
You can virtualize it easily, just give it enough ram and passthrough your HBA.
>>
File: zfs.png (30KB, 565x485px) Image search: [Google]
zfs.png
30KB, 565x485px
>>57872852
its not really about can, its more about should.

also I use freenas to power the storage that my vms rely on to run, so it makes sense to keep them as separate systems.

[spoiler]you can never have enough ram for zfs[/spoiler]
>>
its comparable
but had to return to virtualbox
my i3 hotkeybinds went to shit when I run vmware

virtualbox just simply works
in every aspect
>>
>>57872175
I thought this was an anonymous imageboard, why are you still here reddit tier pleb
>>
>>57872881
Just curious, why can't you have virtualized freenas and still keep all other VM images there? Inaccessible? What if you'd use samba shares/sshfs/whatever for that? Provided you have enough ecc ram for zfs, like 48-64 gigs.
>>
>>57874586

I was going to explain in detail why running it in a vm is a bad idea, but i'm way to lazy to do that so i'm just going to link you to someone who's already done my work for me:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/please-do-not-run-freenas-in-production-as-a-virtual-machine.12484/

http://www.freenas.org/blog/yes-you-can-virtualize-freenas/

>Production

This is where things get serious. If you’re using FreeNAS in an application that’s relied on for daily operations, this is considered a “Production Environment”, and additional precautions must be followed closely to avoid downtime or data loss. If you use PCI passthrough (aka DirectPath I/O), you can then use FreeNAS just like it’s installed on physical hardware. The PCI device passthrough capability allows a physical PCI device from the host machine to be assigned directly to a VM. The VM’s drivers can use the device hardware directly without relying on any driver capabilities from the host OS. These VMware features are unavailable for VMs that use PCI passthrough:

>Hot adding and removing of virtual devices
>Suspend and resume
>Record and replay
>Fault tolerance
>High availability
>DRS
>Snapshots

basically dont do it if the data is important to you. if you're using freenas to host your other vms, the data's probably important to you.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.