[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /g/ think of Mineral Oil cooled computers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: Mineral_Oil_Submerged_Computer_1.jpg (199KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
Mineral_Oil_Submerged_Computer_1.jpg
199KB, 1000x750px
What does /g/ think of Mineral Oil cooled computers
>>
Cool, but high maintenance.
>>
>>57870699
useless meme
>>
>>57870699
What the fuck.
How often does the oil need changing, if at all?
Is it worth the trouble?

I suppose it saves having to clean dust out of fans, etc.
>>
>>57870832
It's even less worth it than watercooling.

>PC case becomes extremely heavy
>risk of cracks and leaks forming
>oil can eat away at certain kinds of rubber/ plastic found on cables and connectors
>oil will creep up on the cables leading out of the tank
>fans might not work on oil, need extra circulation pump
>>
>>57870966
What are both the pros and cons, or are there none?
>>
>>57870832
no, it makes everything as hot as the hottest object in there, so your 85C RX480 will make your cpu overheat in no time.
it's rather stupid desu.
>>
>>57870699
Way too pointless, too high maintenance and annoyance factor.
The high end computers that would benefit from it, can't be cooled passively even with mineral oil anyway, the low end shit does not need such cooling anyways with almost nonexistent fan speeds.
>>
>>57870699
>want to upgrade hardware
>old hardware needs to drip off extra oil for days and will still be covered with a light film
>is going to colelct dust and dirt immediately and nobody is going to buy it used unless yoiu treat it with aggressive solvents
>you're going to get oil somewhere you don't want oil eventually
>have fun checking if your RAM, power cables etc are proeprly seated when your computer acts up
>have fun clearing the CMOS
>>
>>57870724
What could there possibly be to maintain in a vat of oil?
>>
>>57870699
bit silly really
>>
>>57871364
Organic contaminants in the oil will eventually amass and build up on things. You have to drain the oil, clean components, and replace the oil.
Just like you have to drain and clean radiator setups.
>>
>>57871364
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZrXwq5MHB0
>>
Its retardedly difficult to maintain.

Didnt zotac do some kind of passive liquid submerged cooling thing where the cpu and gpu didnt even need heatsinks?
Some kind of liquid that got vaporized and then condensed again up higher
>>
>>57870699
pointless meme
>>
that looks super cool but it needs some colored sand on the bottom and maybe a fake tree
>>
>>57870966

does anyone here do watercooling?
>>
>>57871621
>Some kind of liquid that got vaporized and then condensed again up higher
Sounds ineffective. Gas is a bad heat conductor. If the liquid vaporizes on a hot surface, it can't transfer the heat away that well anymore.
>>
File: CAM00052.jpg (558KB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
CAM00052.jpg
558KB, 1920x2560px
>>57870699
>>57872032
I simply use air cooling, but with a car cabin air filter on my front fans, instead of those shitty regular filters you found on "gaming PC" cases.

I admit it look like shit, but since then it's almost maintenance free.
I open the case once in a while to check and the dust seem to never deposit inside.
The airflow isn't even reduced, as opposed to PC cases filter on the actual market.

Again, it really look like shit, I'm no artistic guy, but it does the job.
I'm waiting to be able to afford a proper case which would allow me to install this in a clean fashion...
>>
>>57872376

>literally an air filter for cars in front of pc case

can't tell if this is extreme autismo or pure genius
>>
>>57871020
"Hey guys, I'm anon, and I'm fucking retarded and also how does heat work." - You
>>
>>57872376
not bad, I really like the approach

considering my stuff gets dusted so fast I might replicate that in the future
>>
>>57872106
ur dumb, the act of vaporising consumes the heat, converting thermal energy to kinetic energy. It doesn't rely on conduction, but on convection.
>>
File: 1423329169508.jpg (1MB, 2408x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1423329169508.jpg
1MB, 2408x2048px
>>57872376
is this from your computer too
>>
High maintenance, everything runs got, but looks cool
>>
File: thereitis.gif (2MB, 390x205px) Image search: [Google]
thereitis.gif
2MB, 390x205px
>>57871461
was waiting for that to be posted
/thread
>>
>>57872106
That's how heat pipes work dum dum.
>>
>>57870699
I think it is a really cool concept and a couple of years ago it was a pretty valid way to get some extreme cooling. However with most PC components becoming more and more efficient at managing power and heat, a mineral oil PC just isn't worth it anymore IMO.
>>
>>57872710
Not mine, btw this look like an external cooler from a water-cooled case.

>>57872493
Will post pics of inside tomorow,
I haven't cleaned it since I installed the filter 6 month ago, as there wasn't dust deposit on fans.
>>
>>57871461
Lol, why the fuck didn't they just siphon the oil out? Pouring it out like that is fucking idiotic.
>>
>>57872106
>what is evaporation
>>
>>57872376
Interesting, show us how you did it mate
>>
>>57870832
Every 8000 miles or so.
>>
>>57870699
>What does /g/ think of Mineral Oil cooled computers
In the long run, all computers are air-cooled.
Your mineral oil gives up its heat to the air eventually.
>>
I'd go with mineral oil if it worked like an engine block. A sealed system with a drain plug. Seems pretty dumb though. Fans work fine.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.