[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Computer Engineering

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 3

File: bettermajors.jpg (275KB, 857x721px) Image search: [Google]
bettermajors.jpg
275KB, 857x721px
Alright, I accepted my admission into university for computer engineering. I am going out in the fall, but I want to get some things straight first. I am not going to lie, I based the option that will affect the rest of my life off of this /sci/ meme, although I took all the AP comp sci I could and an individual study in HS, and have browsed /g/ for probably 4 years now, so it isn't like I am a normie just majoring for the money. I just to be honest and say that I really don't know what computer engineering is like other than that it deals with hardware more the CS. Can anyone give me some good info on what is in store for me? Also, will I still be learning a good amount of CS? I enjoy learning about hardware but I want to still have some patrician-tier CS knowledge, so if CE doesn't teach too much advanced programming/software stuff I would like to know how to go about learning the more advanced stuff either on my own or in university. Thanks in advance.
>>
>making life decisions based on memes
Sasuga OP
>>
>>57866261
>not making life decisions based on memes
it's like you aren't even trying my man
>>
pls respond senpai
>>
>>57866228
>Can anyone give me some good info on what is in store for me?
Read the syllabus?
>>
>>57866228
You've made a solid choice. It depends on your school, but in most schools, CE is really close to EE, to the point where many people double major because it's just a few more classes.

You'll do a lot of work with circuits, and low level programming. I have a friend in CE, and they started programming with assembly, and then worked their way up to C (learning how the compiler would output each C language construct into machine code as they went.)

The thing about CS is you can teach yourself all the fancy data structure and algorithms, and get real world experience by doing open source projects. Since CE is focused on hardware, you'll be learning skills that you wouldn't otherwise be able to pick up easily.

I dropped out of CS, and if I went back to school, it'd be for CE, since I'm already a qualified software developer without the degree. I do embedded software, and pretty much the only thing I haven't been able to teach myself easily is circuit design and board bringup.

Also, talk to your professors and ask them what the real world looks like because they'll give you better answers than /g/ (hopefully)
>>
what kind of job are you looking for?

if you wanna be yet another software dev looking to crunch a database in O(n log log log n) time, you'll wanna switch to CS to get the in-depth knowledge of data structures and algorithms.

if you want to build the next insecure IoT device, keep with CE so you'll know how to make a real electronic device.
>>
>>57866648
Alright thanks man. I feel like I am gonna stay with CE then.
>>
File: 1469879059893.jpg (18KB, 301x267px) Image search: [Google]
1469879059893.jpg
18KB, 301x267px
>>57866760
Go for it. If you decide you hate it, there's no rule against switching majors.
>>
>>57866228
>Cybersecurity only good tier
shit chart
>>
>>57866648
From my experience most profs have no idea whats going on outside of academics.

But your point on the fancy data structures & algorithms is spot on. A CE can do what a CS major does but not vise versa.

>>57866228
Things change quickly in industry. My suggestion is to network as much as possible to start generating opinions on each field. This helped me make my choice.
>>
>>57866228
> Economics great tier
Really? I study economics and it feels like I'll must go to McDonalds after graduation.
>>
>>57866228
Computer Engineering graduate here (first honours). The degree is very similar to EE, we share many of our courses with EE and we do a few of their courses but we focus more on computer hardware and low-level programming (C, C++). If you want CS then do software engineering, but if you do computer engineering you will end up working in software 90% of the time anyway.

If you want to know more 'patrician' software stuff do programming competitions. There are a few of these online that you can do for free (project euler, etc). But it will require some study on the side.
>>
>>57866228
>Economics not Meh or worse
>Transportation listed twice
4/5 chart light years above what I expected from /pol/
>>
>>57869090
>But your point on the fancy data structures & algorithms is spot on. A CE can do what a CS major does but not vise versa.
My uni has some great semantics and verification couses that only SE and CS students can choose.
If you want to work in the field of formal verification and model checking of software and then you shouldn't pick CE from my experience.
You learn some cool stuff doing CE but not the exactly same an SE or CS student would learn.
>>
>>57866228
>I would like to know how to go about learning the more advanced stuff either on my own

http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering
>>
>>57866228
CE is the academic major that studies computers using math, physics, and EE. CS is for people too weak to pass advanced math or physics courses. Compare:

>>CS
>1st year
Bullshit java/OO coding class
Bullshit data structures class
Piss easy calculus classes
Piss easy matrix algebra class
[If you're luck] physics I&II for non-science majors

>2nd year
Watered down "computer architecture" class
Pompous software engineering class
Pathetic discrete "math" class
Watered down "probability" class
Crash course on formal languages and automata

>3rd year
Pathetic algorithms course
Watered down computability and complexity theory course
Laughable networks course
Laughable database course
Crash course on various programming languages

>4th year
Laughable computer security course
[If you're lucky] an Operating Systems class
[If you're lucky] a Compilers class
Horseshit AI with trivial machine learning
5-10 student team Capstone with one dude doing all the work
and all the bullshit easy electives you want

>>CE/ECE/EE
>1st year
C++/C Coding class
C++/C Data Structures and Algorithm
Easy vector calculus
Piss easy matrix algebra class
Ordinary Differential Equations
Physics I&II
Chem I&II

>2nd year
PDEs, Complex Variables, or Advanced Engineering Mathematics [which is half of each]
Probability and Random Processes
Numerical Analysis
Signal and System Analysis
Circuits
Physics III
Digital Logic
An actual Computer Architecture class

>3rd year
Electronics I&II
Communication Systems
Digital Signal Processing
[if CE or ECE] Discrete Math with Coding and Information Theory
[if EE or ECE] Control Theory
[if EE] Electromagnetics
[if CE] Operation Systems
[if CE] Digital System Design
[if CE] Embedded Systems

>4th year
Capstone where everyone actually does shit
[if you're unlucky] Ethics
Electives [for CE]:
Compilers
Computer Vision
Computer Graphics
VLSI Design
Networks
Cryptography
Reverse Engineering
Information Theory
Convex Optimization
Distributed Computing
among others
>>
>falling for the STEM meme
Learning how to be a computer in the current century desu. Learning the humanities is the only thing that has a irreplaceable application. Too bad 4u
>>
>>57866228
Everyone on this board will shill CE and shit on CS even though both paths will lead to software engy in the end
>>
>>57873463
>thinks academic degrees are job training

Let me guess, you majored in business because CEOs make the most dosh.
>>
>>57872864
>puter_Science_and_Engineering
>>>
> Anonymous 12/06/16(Tue)17:19:25 No.578
Where I am Softare engineering and CS are separated and SE programs must comply with the engineering order so we have the same Math and Physics as EE, CE, ME and Physics Engineering.
>>
>>57873463
My cousin did CE and ended up at Verizon as some field manager of some sort over 200+ people. Makes well over 250k now.
>>
i'm doing CE and i wanna double major something physics-y, should i do mech eng or straight physics?
i like all physics and prefer research to industry.
>>
>>57873724
>same Math and Physics as EE, CE, ME and Physics Engineering

So Physics 1-3, Calc 1-3, and ODEs. Is that supposed to be impressive?
>>
I work as a InfoSec/NetSec Lab Manager in Research and Development for a huge, international company.
Stay in CE and you will not have to worry about money or employment for the foreseeable future, if ever.
Good luck with your studies.
>>
>>57874093
Physics would be easier
>>
>>57875238
really? i've heard the opposite
>>
>>57866228
Kek this poster was obviously made by an engineer. Physics and maths should be a tier above engineering. Engineers are mostly retarded.
>>
>>57866228

>nursing isn't suicide tier
>the one role in medicine that I am actually still uncertain of what the fuck their responsibilities are is better somehow than lawyers and police.
>>
>>57866228
>Computer """"(((Engineering)))""""
>>
>>57866228
Depends on your university. Where I study CE is a full-time course. I have up to 36h of classes per week. It pretty much convers the whole CS course + advanced hardware + basic engineering + automation.

As a CE you have a great advantage of being an engineer. In several countries, this title gives you better jobs and money. In some others doesn't make a lot of difference in practice, since they will hire you as a CS or systems administrator to pay you less.

Im terms of course and knowledge, you should expect getting into more details and mathematics than CS, learn more about hardware, engineering in general, signal analysis, automation in hardware and software. Project management as well

My advice is: if you wanna be a complete and wide professional, choose CE. Your extra effort will pay back.
>>
To all shills in this post. This is definitely a meme tier shit.

As long as you can take thr most of your degree you have no limits.
>>
>>57866228
>nursing
>good tier
I'm ok with this
>>
>>57869125
You can land cushy gov't jobs all day with a masters in econ.
>>
I'm a CE in my last semester.

Prepare to get your ass kicked if you go to a good uni.

Get ready to grind classes that have little to do with computers, like thermodynamics and chemistry.
>>
>>57866228
depends on the university.

most are a waste of time. some are okay. few have information you can learn almost nowhere else.

you get out of it what you put into it though.
>>
>>57866574
Kys good for nothing namefag.
>>
>>57877922
>CE baby struggling with basic thermo
hahahahahahahah
>>
>>57875419

Less classes are required

>Physics (12)
Analytical Mechanics x2
Electrodynamics x2
Thermodynamics & Statistical Mechanics
Quantum Mechanics x2
Experimental Physics Lab
Complex Variables/Analysis
Partial Differential Equations
Elective x2

>MechE (16)
Engineering Statics
Engineering Dynamic
Mechanics of Material
Prop. of Material
Fluid Mechanics
Thermodynamics x2
Mechanical Design
Heat Transfer
Vibrations
CAD
Control Engineering/Theory
Numerical Methods/FEM
Electives x2
Capstone Project
>>
>>57875991
The image is based on employment. Sure lawyers get paid more money but it's much harder to land a job as a lawyer. Meanwhile it's very easy to become a nurse and it pays decently.
>>
I’m more into programming than hardware, which drives me off CE but I dunno what else to pick really
>>
>>57878684
You can become a coder with any STEM major.
>>
>auto technician isn't even on there
;~;
>>
>>57866228
still trying to decide between mathematics or computer engineering. which would be better for cryptography and which would be better for pentesting/blue team work
>>
>>57877922
Dude thermodynamics and chemistry relate to computer chip manufacturing

Hell, even heatsink/fans are designed with principles learned in those classes

Don't be a fucking pleb
>>
>>57866228
>Tfw when doing statistics after sociology and the memers can't undertand.
>>
>>57879260
Why not both?
>>
I really don't understand this CS has no math meme considering its literally a subset of math.

At my uni combo of CS major + math minor or vice versa is extremely common and we def have more math than guys in eng.

You must all go to shit unis.
>>
>>57879681
Tfw when your engineering classes are actually math classes in disguise but plebs just look at your course codes
>>
I'm not too interested in the units of engineering but the end goal is a security-related job, working with hardware and software

Should I nut up and do "bachelor of engineering (honours) (computer and software systems)" or just do "bachelor of IT (computer science)?
>>
>>57879866
Do computer engineering

The best security solutions are implemented in hardware
>>
>>57879578
double major?
>>
File: 1472032692518.jpg (49KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1472032692518.jpg
49KB, 640x640px
>>57876753
>As long as you can take thr most of your degree you have no limits.

funny
>>
Meanwhile I work as an electrican. 0 debt. Don't have to work with autistic nerds and numales who got their degrees in their late 20s. Don't have to sit in an office all day but actually drive around and do physical work if I feel like doing it. Earn just as much as someone with a meme CS degree if I take up a little bit more work. Pretty comfy lads.
>>
>>57882620
cuck
>>
>>57877922

> Thermodynamics
> Little to do with computers

Retard level: Inf.
>>
>>57877922
>tfw you realize that diode and transistor equations come directly from Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics
>>
>>57879681
>You must all go to shit unis.

Look mom, I used the same deflection again!

>At my uni combo of CS major + math minor or vice versa is extremely common

And they typical take all the same easy classes as the guys planning on being high school math teachers and actuaries do.
>>
>>57884091
Most Thermodynamics courses are out of the Mechanical Engineering department. The focus is on 1st and 2nd law of thermodynamics as well as basic cycles. Heat and Mass Transfer translates better to Electrical/Computer Engineering.
>>
>>57885780
Most departments tend to roll out their own thermo course. So ChemEs get one more focused on Chemical Thermodynamics and Kinetics, Physics majors get on with more Statistical Mechanics, Chem majors get the typical kiddie pool PChem course, etc.
>>
>>57882620

IBEW is comfy as fuck. Just become a journeyman. No debt, putting away 50% of my income. About to buy a house with cash. Local union is literally putting out billboard ads and facebook ad campaigns because we can't find people for a PAID apprenticeship.

I see my high school classmates, even some who went STEM struggling to afford studio apartments in the city with their atrocious student debt. Working 80+ hours a week for AWS or one of the other big tech companies in the area while being treated like trash.
>>
>park administration
lmao what
>>
>>57887896

>who went STEM struggling to afford studio apartments in the city with their atrocious student debt. Working 80+ hours a week for AWS

Sounds like Seattle area. They imported so many pajeets that rent went really high quick, but salaries went down.
>>
>>57878348
>Insulting based Falcon
Kys new cuck
>>
>>57888283
he was the fag that made some infographics that got stickied around 2010 right?
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.