[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The day this comes to Linux, is the day Linux finally becomes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8

File: photoshop.jpg (10KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
photoshop.jpg
10KB, 480x480px
The day this comes to Linux, is the day Linux finally becomes the go to OS.
>>
>>57863990
Still no gaymes.
>>
I love Linux and I love the command line, but Linux needs GUI alternatives for stuff like changing key-bindings and some sort of task manager that isn't htop or CLI based.

There needs to be a lot more done for the egular consumer. Ubuntu is great for the advanced and the completely new that does not know what a "key binding" is. Ubuntu is far superior compared to Windows when it comes to ease of use and how intuitive it is and that sort of thing. But for the middle ground it's iffy.
>>
>>57864024
>GUI alternatives for stuff like changing key-bindings
Both Gnome and KDE have that.
>and some sort of task manager that isn't htop or CLI based.
Ditto. Also, htop is great, what the fuck is your problem?
>Ubuntu
>Advanced
OK.
>>
>>57864048
>Both Gnome and KDE have that.
Well it's hidden away some obscure place, I mean a GUI that is accessible without writing config files or whatever.

>Ditto. Also, htop is great, what the fuck is your problem?
I love htop, don't mind it at all.

>>Ubuntu
>>Advanced
>OK.

Being easy to use don't mean that you can't do advanced stuff with it. Ubuntu is perfect for professional use. Highly supported, easy to train people to use it and so on and so forth and you can do anything with ubuntu that you can do on other distros.

If you want to create a mess that is difficult to use and therefore "super advanced" then you can do that.
>>
>>57863990
i don't like peas
>>
>>57863990
>The day this comes to Linux, is the day Linux finally becomes the go to OS.

Not really, the rest of Linux still sucks and various hardware doesnt work or works like shit compared to Windows which doesn't rely on generic drivers.

Also the fact the linux crowd is poor and autistic, they will mosty never buy PS, just steal it and spend the rest of their lives talking shit about Adobe.
>>
>>57863990
Why?

PS is a professional image editor, since when is everyone a fucking graphical designer?

If it's for shitposting gimp is fine.
>>
I'd rather have mspaint

kolourpaint, pinta... they're just wrong. I need the real paint, best image software ever created
>>
>>57863990
So never
>>
File: 1450741155879.jpg (40KB, 660x350px) Image search: [Google]
1450741155879.jpg
40KB, 660x350px
>>57863990
>>57864024
>>57864176

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
Photoshop gets ported to Linux.

*autistic GNU screeching*
>>
>The day [thing] comes to [not-Windows] is the day [not-Windows] wins!

This 25 year old meme needs to stop.
>>
>>57863990
Yeah, it's called a mac.
>>
File: 144243625433.jpg (659KB, 2832x4240px) Image search: [Google]
144243625433.jpg
659KB, 2832x4240px
>>57865085
No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?
(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.
>>
>>57864084
It's literally in the applications menu as "System Monitor", no need for configs and shit.
>>
>>57865236
how can a gnu os like gnu/kfreebsd or gnu/hurd be "Linux", when it doesn't even have linux as kernel? :^)
>>
>>57865291
Nobody claimed or implied that.
>>
>>57863990

Wrong. The day Linux can be just as easily loaded and run as OSX or even Win10 and do at last half of what they do it will be the go to OS.

Both my Mac Pro and PC (I built last xmas) I quickly got running and immediately started converting videos, running Adobe suite, burning BD-Rs, playing movies, playing games (even some on Mac), etc. without hardly any research. Windows was a fucking pain mainly because having to research all the privacy issues and how to turn them off. Took me 2 months to finally get it just right (working on a lot of other things right now). But if I didn't care so much about privacy, I would've been up and running in a few hours.

And that's why Linux will NEVER be the go to OS. It's designed to be exactly what it is. Something only tech geeks can figure out how to make useful. We already have ChromeOS for those that can't do shit with computers without fucking them up (like my mom), OSX for those who are willing to sacrifice options for usefulness, stability, and productivity, and Windows for those willing to do the EXACT opposite.
>>
>>57863990
It never will, which is good. The last thing I want is for a bunch of teenage "artists" using it to be l33t and alternative, asking a million stupid questions that could be answered with a simple Google search.
>>
>>57865609
using *Linux I mean
>>
>>57863990
sadly, corporate moneyism exists, so Adobe won't port it's software to Linux because Linux is free, so no money.
>>
>>57865085
uninstall gentoo, sofort!
>>
Dont forget Microsoft office and gaymes
>>
lol krita
>>
>>57865788
painting program, not image manipulation
>>
What about this?
>>
>>57865721
Or, you know, it costs more to port it than they'd get back from sales.
>>
File: 1464374348636.png (1019KB, 865x449px) Image search: [Google]
1464374348636.png
1019KB, 865x449px
>>57865721
>adobe has to release it on an OS that costs money to make money from it

you say that as if adobe doesnt make enough money as it is on their new monthly subscription service
>>
File: 1479823460252.jpg (99KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1479823460252.jpg
99KB, 960x960px
>>57863990
No, you'll complain about poor performance compared to Windows.
>>
still need more games and microsoft office

this could become a reality now that microsoft has a hard-on for linux
>>
Nah, the people who need Photoshop in their workflow already have macs

t. UX Designer
>>
>>57865245
Well, that's your problem... Idiots like me who can't seem to find these things. And I am at least brave enough to use Linux. Things need to be more intuitive. But I have used Linux for many years, could be that there was no system monitor last time I looked for it. At the moment I don't have Gnome or KDE.

>>57865085
Go to bed, dr. Stallman.
>>
>>57864024
>I love Linux and I love the command line,
Me too
but Linux needs GUI alternatives for stuff like changing key-bindings and some sort of task manager that isn't htop or CLI based.
Yes every DE and their mother has a guy task manager, mate,gnome,xfce, etc
>There needs to be a lot more done for the egular
Regular*
consumer. Ubuntu is great for the advanced and the completely new that does not know what a "key binding" is. Ubuntu is far superior compared to Windows when it comes to ease of use and how intuitive it is and that sort of thing. But for the middle ground it's iffy.
Ubuntu is pretty straightforward. I installed it on my son's computer. Updates are simple just press update, Installs are simple just press install, and looking for apps is simple just press the super key like in Windows.
>>
The day Microsoft Office is released for Linux will be a great day.

Right now, a decent Office Suit is the biggest step for a normie to ditch Windows.
LibreOffice is a joke.
>>
>>57863990
People aren't even going to rent this on Windows and OSX. Keep your overpriced poo in the loo image editor.
>>
Is there a good alternative for illustrator for Linux?
>>
>>57867350
Inkscape
>>
I love it how Lintards use the "muh gaymes" argunent when you cant use Linux for
>Image editing/painting
>Office software
>Digital Audio Workstation
>Video editing/Composition
In each and every of these fields the software is vastly inferior to what you get on Windows

just about all its good for is coding programs that are "bleeding edge" and 3d modeling
>>
File: AutoCAD_3.png (169KB, 1436x858px) Image search: [Google]
AutoCAD_3.png
169KB, 1436x858px
>>57863990
>muh photoshop
Photoshop is a bloated piece of trash, Gimp gets the job done and for the rest there is Inkscape, Scribus, Blender, etc

The day AutoCAD comes to Linux is the day Windows will be the OS for gaymers and for hipsters designer types too poor to buy a Mac.
>>
>>57865177
>>57866272
The Mac users probably won't make a move to Linux but some Windows user might.

>>57865774
>>57866012
>>57867290
Also this.
>>
>>57863990
Codeweavers, the single largest contributor to the wine project, developed their 'crossover' software under contract from Disney, who wanted to be able to run photoshop on the machines in their linux clusters.
Still werks afaik.
Don't know for sure as I quit using photoshop years ago after I finally got comfortable using gimp. It was a frustrating process at times, I will admit. Now I feel as lost with photoshop as I used to with gimp. I don't know if I could even draw a simple circle with photoshop anymore.
But basically, I ditched photoshop because it wasn't really a valid reason to keep windows, and pretty much every de-equipped distro comes with gimp, which does most everything photoshop does.
Do they even make printers anymore that can't do their own cymk? And if you absolutely need it, why not install some other free program that can generate it, so gimp can import it. Photoshop isn't a good enough reason to use windows, and what ever lame ass reach about why photoshop is so damned superior isn't a good enough reason to not use gimp. Fuck off, adobe shills.
>>
The Photoshop for Android is a Photoshop for Linux. You should make android apps to run on Linux.
>>
Gimp does what I need

I just make memes and vaporwave art though
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.