[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Windows 98SE on a Inspiron 6000

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 151486.jpg (38KB, 600x524px) Image search: [Google]
151486.jpg
38KB, 600x524px
So I've got this Dell Inspiron 6000 laying around. It currently has Windows 7 on it which is fine and dandy but I want it to be running Windows 98 Second Edition. Obviously I could just burn a disc with 98SE on it and make a floppy boot disc but I have neither blank floppies nor blank CDs cause this is fucking 2016. I don't even have a disc drive in my main rig.

What I do have is USB drives and the images for the install and boot discs of 98SE. How would I go about making a bootable image and then installing it onto the laptop? I'm not too worried about drivers as I can figure that out later, right now I'm just concerned with getting Windows 98 on there.

Can you guys help me please?
>>
>>57849463
You can't. Windows 98's installer will not boot from a USB drive.

Even if you manage to get it installed, you will not have any drivers, as Dell only produced XP drivers for that model. Enjoy 640x480 in 16 colours with no sound. Not to mention if the thing has more than 1GB of RAM (which is likely considering you said it's running 7) 98 will be unstable and crash frequently.

Get yourself a period-correct rig, say a Pentium 2 450 with 128MB of RAM, if you want something to run 98 on.
>>
>>57849463

Any reason why you want 98 on it? Genuinely curious.
>>
>>57849498
I am too. Why do people want such overkill 98 rigs? Might as well go XP cause most 98 games will run on XP, not to mention stability, drivers, and program support are infinitely better.

If you need 98 for programs that don't run correctly on later versions of Windows, at least get a proper retro system instead of crippling something much more modern. There's nothing in the world that triggers me more than seeing Pentium 4 systems going for $150 on ebay because they're "DOS WIN 98 INDUSTRIAL SERIAL PORT CNC" machines. Those things could run 7 and yet they're being given an OS that can't even take advantage of all their hardware.
>>
>>57849463
>Windows 98SE
for what purpose
>>
>>57849496
I've read about people using generic drivers with varying degrees of success with this laptop and 98. But I guess that doesn't really help me if I can't even get the OS onto it.

Do you know any good 98 era laptops that would be suitable for contemporary gaming or should I stick with a full rig for gaming?

>>57849498
Mostly nostalgia but I also would like to have something that runs 98 for old-school gaming and software purposes. I suppose I could emulate it but I'd much rather go all the way with actual hardware. I've got a dedicated Windows XP rig as well. That thing works great for some things that don't run well with modern operating systems and hardware.
>>
>>57849532
I already have an XP rig though. This laptop is just something that was sitting around collecting dust and I don't have anything else even remotely close to 98 era hardware so I figured using this might be worth a try.
>>
>>57849555
Checked. A Pentium 2/3 is perfect for 98: either laptop or desktop, but get a fast model (400-450MHz) for best results.
Here's one that should run anything you throw at it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/192041454547
You'll still need to buy some blank CD's to get 98 on there as it's running ME right now. That's unavoidable, especially considering most all computers made before 2004 do not support USB booting.
>>
Anything 98 can do, you can do on XP anyway

install XP
>>
>>57849587
Thanks man! I wont be able to pick this one up unfortunately but I appreciate you finding this.

As for CD's can I make a bootable image so I don't need to make two discs or is that unavoidable?
>>
>>57849595

Nope.

XP is NT based. 98 is not.

Remember all the games that needed NT patches when XP came out?

Of course this means that for gaming you could use the NT patches but I only mentioned this to prove XP != 98.
>>
>>57849619

Save yourself a lot of hassle and just make the CD's. It takes a few minutes to burn them. It will take you hours before you give up on USB.
>>
virtual machine with passthrough graphics drivers

>but "muh feel" of leshithardware

also supports turning down the resources to make it bad.

>No, You Don't Understand, I Just Wanted It To Not Worko So I Can Pine For The Gaymes Of Olde And Never Get Them So I Don't Have To Admit They Were Shit

go get not to it op
>>
>>57850718
Go back to writing depositories for gento/ubunto or w/e you aggressive neckbeards do.
>>
>>57850808
we've had this thread tons of times and every single time it ends with

>no mom you don't understand, I need real hardware!
>they go find one and overpay
>can't figure out how to install any media
>still somehow pines for the games

they don't want to admit that they don't really want to play the original games because they'd have to admit they were shit. "I want muh old hardware" goes nowhere at the speed of light.

virtual machine will even solve this problem, ie helping you get over your psuedo-nostalgia. Ironically, gentoo and ubuntu have this for free in the form of virtualbox
>>
>>57849463
U can connect hard drive to virtualbox and install it inside VM
I did it once with loonix and debian worked fine on 20 years old laptop
>>
>>57849555
late-era compaq armadas like the M300 and M700 are nice with ATI graphics

>>57851405
>pseudo-
stop false flagging and go back to squandering your gaming shitbox on HD retextured quake
>>>/vr/
>>
>>57852401
See this is a good answer. This is much better than "fuck what you want, you're wrong about what you want and let me tell you why!"
>>
>>57849463

Why don't use Windows XP and rice it to looks like Win98?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.