[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GirlsWhoCode

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4

File: girlswhocode.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
girlswhocode.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>Why did they have to make this

>couldn't we all just learn code without making it a gender issue

>is this a feminist thing
>>
it really just turned into
>girls hanging out and doing stuff
There is a reason why women don't go into programming jobs, it has nothing to do with keeping them out it is all about them choosing other jobs and roles to fill.

They should make coding mandatory in school , maybe that will get rid of all these BS hour of code and other shit.

>British schoolchildren will play Minecraft for an hour as Microsoft's contribution to the global "Hour of Code", a stunt intended to inculcate algorithmic thinking into the young
>>
>>57843076
>pajeeta on the left
>>
>Why did they have to make this
Because they are attention whores and are therefore retarded.

>couldn't we all just learn code without making it a gender issue
We already do.

>is this a feminist thing
Probably, it has the same level of retardation.
>>
>>57843156
it started out pretty cool i think. give girls who are interested more help and support to learn programming. now i just hear all these statistics "OoHHH wE haVE 2 HAVE EXACTLY 50% WOMEN 50% MEN IN COMPUTER SCIENCE OR WE SEXCISS"
>>
>>57843156
It's all JavaScript or webdev stuff they aren't really programming, they are putting libraries together and write HTML/CSS
>>
>>57843076
>>Why did they have to make this
>>couldn't we all just learn code without making it a gender issue
>>is this a feminist thing

honestly, I think feminism and safe spaces and shit is dumb as fuck, but I understand why they're doing this. if you're a qt grill, would you rather be around a bunch of males, many of whom are acoustic as fuck, or other girls? it's a lot more inviting
>>
>>57843076

If you want there to stop being a gender imbalance in programming, you need groups like this to exist and grow for a little while. No one likes being in the minority / the only member of group X in the room.

Countries where CS is new (Iran, India) mostly show an even split between men and women more or less. American culture has established ideas about what programmers look like and act like.
>>
>>57843156
>girls choose other jobs

But you have to ask why they choose other jobs. Stereotypes play a powerful role in guiding kids to their future careers. Girls learn from a young age that math and coding are for boys who sit in their room all day, and that girls become nurses or hairdressers. That's why there are programs that single out girls' STEM education.

I agree though that it's not helpful if the teacher's idea of "Girls Who Code" is sitting around and playing Minecraft.
>>
>>57843325
>American culture has established ideas about what programmers look like and act like.
That's possible. Have you considered it instead might be because people in other countries will take any job that will make them money? And we are actually more free in America to choose what we want, so naturally men and women choose different careers?
>>
>>57843325
>If you want there to stop being a gender imbalance in programming,
No thanks
>>
>>57843156
>They should make coding mandatory in school , maybe that will get rid of all these BS hour of code and other shit.
Actually, I am in favor of this idea. For many reasons, really.

First reason is that it decreases the ability of foreigners to get jobs in programming when so many Americans are getting into it and secondly it would increase critical thinking output.

Also, I might add, children are learning stuff in Minecraft in the local schools where I live now.
>>
>>57843076
The real question is why does this trigger you so badly? Who gives a shit?
>>
>>57843307
Feminism is hardly the only political ideology that has adherents demand safe spaces. Not too long ago Donald Trump wanted flag burning to be made a criminal offense and it just goes to show that he wants to create spaces for his special snowflake followers.
>>
>>57843265

It's all C or LISP stuff they aren't really programming, they are putting libraries together and write to console
>>
>>57843076
Because women are easily manipulated and when they see "learn to code" and "girls who code" guess which one they throw their student loan money at
>>
>>57843406
>it decreases the ability of foreigners to get jobs in programming
Foreigners will always be cheaper unless laws are enacted where foreign workers are required to be paid the same (or more). Then again, that won't really make a difference if the jobs are being moved to cheaper countries.
>>
>>57843439
>Not too long ago Donald Trump wanted flag burning to be made a criminal offense and it just goes to show that he wants to create spaces for his special snowflake followers.
That's a stretch. In my opinion you should be able to burn it and I don't think Trump is perfect but I also don't think he actually cares about creating authoritarian safe spaces for things like religious or political ideologies in the same way many liberals do. Can you give another example?

I also don't think Hillary gave a shit about LGBT people or this safe space bullshit, no sane politician does. She was interested in money and power.
>>
>>57843076
I can't say on a macro level why this is but I understand why this is on a micro level.

My former high-school had a program setup with a nearby vocational school. The high-school would send juniors and seniors for half a school day to the vocational school and those students would pursue various studies like CS, Cosmetology, Carpentry, Electrics, Automotive, Childhood development, etc.

The general way that the school got people interested in the program was to have the school Counselor suggest/invite students to go to the vocational school for a certain program.

Generally speaking, the Counselor (who, I might add was female) would invite female students to go into the more gender typical classes like cosmetology and childhood development. The Counselor would not talk too much about the other classes with the prospective female students and sometimes there'd be female students who wouldn't go to the vocational school because they thought there was only cosmetology and childhood development.

It was unsurprising, of course, why the CS class for four school years in a row had zero female students.

On a micro level, I think, GirlsWhoCode campaigns exist to increase awareness for these fields.

Wow. That was long winded, wasn't it?
>>
>>57843156
young anon here. I learned my shit from lurking in /dpt/ and /sqt/ and from reading books. I am self studying c++, java, and javascript and it fuckin pains me to see women just waste the shit handed to them.
>>
>>57843497
>example
Just look at his twitter feed if you didn't see the tweet yourself.
>>
>>57843392
I think it's self-reinforcing. If programming is new to a country and men and women take it up in equal numbers, then other people will continue to see it as a "neutral" activity not a "gendered" one.
>>
I don't give a fuck about gender among programmers. I don't give a fuck about gender for anything except maybe when a doctor has to examine me by shoving fingers up my ass. That's still a maybe.
I DO give a fuck about people of all fields being competent at what they do.
>>
>>57843571
Interesting view. I can agree that gender roles have contributed to disparity in career choices between men and women. For a long time in America and throughout history women were expected to play the role of the stay at home mother. Could be so far back in history that it's to the point of being evolutionary. Men and women's brains are different and I think that will stay true. Not super strictly but I do think that less men will always choose careers like nurse or caretaker and less women will choose careers like engineer, working with their hands. Here's an interesting documentary on that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTF_XVspfDM&list=PLWHTKnB0jqZD9cR0zMpNLCvNeqf2UlfIB

I'd say you are probably partly right but I think there will always be a disparity in career choices.
>>
>>57843669
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTF_XVspfDM&list=PLWHTKnB0jqZD9cR0zMpNLCvNeqf2UlfIB
my b that's the playlist. here's the one on gender equality. it's the 2nd in the playlist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiJVJ5QRRUE
>>
>>57843669

The boundaries of the responsibilities of programmers are a bit fuzzy and they could change slightly if different types of people are interested in it.

There are "feminine" aspects to coding as well (like communicating clearly with other people on your team) that are frequently "overlooked" or "deemed to fall outside the discipline".

It's possible that if more women were programmers and their skill sets / interests really were meaningfully different from men, the definition of the discipline would change slightly.
>>
declare yourself trans and join in. Embrace the insanity.
>>
>>57843542
>Generally speaking, the Counselor (who, I might add was female) would invite female students to go into the more gender typical classes like cosmetology and childhood development. The Counselor would not talk too much about the other classes with the prospective female students and sometimes there'd be female students who wouldn't go to the vocational school because they thought there was only cosmetology and childhood development.

Yeah, I had similar experiences. My counselor suggested construction, military or police work. Pretty funny now I think about it. I guess a lot kind of has changed in 6 years. I mean I can now be a woman if I want kek.
>>
>>57843829
>Humanitarian Engineer (Gender Studies)
>>
File: 1476800814345.jpg (42KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1476800814345.jpg
42KB, 720x480px
>>57843829
>like communicating clearly with other people on your team
>women communicating clearly
There is no aspect of the job that women are better attuned to.
>>
>>57843553
you should not be upset. An average engineer that can navigate an office (politics, keeping up with people/networking, speaking up for yourself) will kill in most workplaces. Your competition is pajeets who can't speak English OR write code and maximum autismos of every race. In general, women won't be a problem. about 90% of the female engineers i knew went on to project management and people management.

The exception being female indians which seem to just be here to avoid being sold off in a "marriage" back home.
>>
FUCKING FEMALES RUIN EVERYTHING
>>
>>57843829
that's a good point. I think most of the west still operates in "hero" engineer mode. You get your 10x guy and let him run everything from his closet. especially smaller shops. Women just aren't attracted to that lifestyle.

Heck, you have to get a team of engineers in the room and beat them over the head with methodologies just get them to realize it's a team effort and they need to communicate.
>>
>>57843353
>it's not helpful if the teacher's idea of "Girls Who Code" is sitting around and playing Minecraft
Not that guy but Minecraft has logic gates and shit. One should think this would be the focus of those classes.
>>
>>57843406
>>57843156
>mandatory programming in school
NO.
Why not mandatory cooking? Welding? Chemical engineering? Law? Everyone drives a car... is everyone a mechanic, or an engineer, or a car detailer?

Stop this bullshit.
I don't want people getting shoved into this trade only to devalue it.
>>
>>57843076
>encouraging women to do stuff they don't like
Why?
>>
>>57843325
this is a misattribution of cause.

It has nothign to do with "CS being new" in iran and india.

It has everything to do with iran and india being poor countries where everyone, men and women, will do whatever they can to find the safest path to a decent standard of living.

In rich western countries, men and women can reach a decent standard of living in manyfields of work, so people focus a great deal on "what do I want to do?" and "what do I enjoy doing?"

these questions are of quaternary importance if you're a woman from a poor family in india whose best chance of getting out of poverty is getting in the top 3% of your regional exam results and getting a scholarship to engineering college.

your hypothesis that women being a minority in engineering is cause in itself for the situation continuing is totally disproven by history because many other intellectual fields were at one time dominated by men, for example medicine, but then as soon as equal opportunities were presented, because women had equal ability and interest in pursuing medicine, they very quickly started equalising with male doctors and nor make up close to half of newly qualified doctors in many western countries.
When there is an actual barrier preventing an equally capable and interested demographic from participating and that actual barrier is removed, then that demographic will achieve representation. this is seen time and again in sports and fields of employment.

when that genuine barrier to equal opportunity is non-existant and there is equal opportunity and yet virtually no proportional representation has been reached, then it shows that the demographic is either not as capable or not as interested.
and that's their problem.

tl;dr if girls actually found engineering and programming as interesting as men and were as good at it as men there would be as man female engineers as there are female doctors.
>>
>>57844157
I would be happy to have mandatory cooking classes. And mandatory car maintenance classes, too.

...I do not know anything about cars. Had to google how to change a tire, the first time I did it alone. If there was mandatory car maintenance classes in school, I would be a better person than I am now. Same goes for cooking.
>>
>>57843076

There is an agenda pushed by the industry to decrease the cost of software development by artificially raising the labor supply. They are doing this by targeting groups not traditionally interested in computer science (e.g. women) and by spreading rumors about an apparent shortage of tech workers. The reality is that there is no shortage. Go look on a job finding site, and look at the requirements of the various software development jobs available. The majority ask for anywhere between 1-5 years of experience along with a degree in computer science. If there were a shortage of labor, surely there would be more entry level positions, would there not?

>>57844157

Mandatory cooking wouldn't really be that bad, considering it's a skill people need in their day to day lives. Although given the limited hours available to teach subjects, I would say it's better off left to be learned at home. The rest are all valid points.
>>
>>57844157
There IS mandatory cooking!

At least in NY. No clue where you grew up.

There was a school that I had gone to that had mandatory welding as well but that was specific to that school.

>I don't want people [learning about this trade] only to devalue it
Maybe we shouldn't teach people to read and write because they only DEVALUE reading and writing.
>>
>>57843439
You are so easily trolled. He's just saying those things to spin the media into a frenzy
>>
>>57843998

You're mischaracterizing what I'm saying. I'm saying EVEN IF women have different interests / abilities than men, the discipline can shift to accommodate them. FWIW I don't think that's necessary.

>>57844054

Yeah. It's kind of weird. You have to systematize what is essentially a communication problem to get the engineers to actually cooperate with each other. We're an arrogant, headstrong bunch.
>>
>>57844547
I don't think anon was upset.
>>
>>57843076
cd..
cd.
cd
cd ..
cd ..code
cd code
cd.
cd ..

thank you karli for koding my favorite womyn meme
>>
>>57844519

There's a difference between life skills and trade skills. Reading and writing are a primary means of communication that are used in every single trade, and in daily life. Welding though, that's something you can get away with not knowing unless you plan on making a living of it, or at least a hobby of it.

K-12 education should be focused on skills and facts that every single person in the country needs to know. Literacy is obviously important, mathematics is important to a certain extent (everyone needs some basic number sense, and higher level math opens up a number of job opportunities, particularly for anyone who wants to go into college), history is generally important to ensure that society does not repeat the same mistakes. Beyond these and maybe civics, other classes should be left up to electives.
>>
File: 1458674457623.jpg (2MB, 2880x3600px) Image search: [Google]
1458674457623.jpg
2MB, 2880x3600px
>>57844575
I'd still fug her.
>>
>>57843076
ugh, not as bad as whoever took a low res image and then resampled it crappily to 1080...
>>
>>57843401
This. Don't ruin technology with passive aggressive cuntishness
>>
>>57843076

Women are being forced into STEM because they need to lower the wages for everyone involved by increasing the warm bodies there.
>>
>>57845078
This is why I'm planning to move to management. If some other field becomes the dominant easy high-paying work, I can just be a lead in that instead.
>>
>>57843175
thinks he can get away with putting a on a wig and some lipstick
>>
>company is giving me an opportunity to go to a women in programming conference
>am a dude

Is it a good place to pick up chicks?
>>
>>57843353
>But you have to ask why they choose other jobs. Stereotypes play a powerful role in guiding kids to their future careers
>poses question
>immediately imposes answer
Fuck off commie
>>
>>57843353
>I agree though that it's not helpful if the teacher's idea of "Girls Who Code" is sitting around and playing Minecraft.

Sounds like they know exactly what working in an office is like.
>>
Programming has a far bigger problem with women leaving the industry than getting women into the industry.
>>
>>57843076
>short blonde hair
>dress
Who is this semen demon
>>
>>57844504
>The reality is that there is no shortage.
From the employers' perspectiv there is. You yourself admitted it. Good programmers are rare enough that they can demand high prices for their labor.
>>
>>57844837
that's her only value but it's a big universal value
>>
>>57845099
>selling your soul so easily
>>
>>57847859
>Being poor so willingly
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.