[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you need a degree to become a Web Developer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: How-to-become-a-web-developer.jpg (31KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
How-to-become-a-web-developer.jpg
31KB, 800x450px
As of right now, I cannot afford a 4 year degree. I am working 2 jobs and helping my dad pay off some bills and I am paying some bills myself. I was a CS major, but had to stop going to college for family and some depression reasons. Thinking about getting my Associate Degree in Web Developing/programming instead. My main goal is to go into Web Developing. I already know HTML and CSS and I am learning JavaScript on my free time and will later learn PHP. I have begineer Java skills, but will learn more later on. I am a great self learner. Do I actually need a 4 year degree? I know you need a B.S. or higher for companies like Google, Microsoft, etc, but my goal is to be a full stack developer and down the road start a business or create sites that will give me automated passive income/e-business. I really do not want to work for a big company and do a typical 9-5. I need some help and guidance guys....
>>
>>57840922
There are a lot of smaller agencies that are flexible on requirements as long as you get shit done and don't have an antisocial personality type. I recommend learning the ropes at a place like this before trying to start a business
>>
>>57840922
You definitely do not need a CS degree to do web development. CS Degree is needed to do something harder than call-REST-put-inside-div-query-SQL-put-results-in-a-table type of work
>>
>>57840922
No you do not need a degree to do that job. This place ( https://www.freecodecamp.com ) provides you with certain certifications and as part of it you get a portfolio of websites you make for non-profits. Which will look good in your CV.
>>
>>57841011
Thanks. But how can I actually get a job like that since I am self taught with no prior job/experience in web developing? Just practice coding, create sites, and make a portfolio? btw, do you think a associate degree in Web Developing is worth it?
>>
>>57840922
kill yourself. all your problems will disappear
>>
>>57841146
Yeah, some work samples are good. Links to previous work and being able to explain what you did in an interview, in a positive way. I had one give a small take home project too, which is a good sign to me if it doesn't look like they're asking for free work
>>
>>57841146
Go for entry level jobs (even if they say in the ads that they require experience, apply anyway), try to build a website for someone (family member, a friend, family member's friend, basically anyone), so you could put something on your CV. It will be very hard to get a full time job without a CS degree and no experience otherwise.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.