[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it ethical to use proprietary (closed-source) software for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 5A7af.png (30KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
5A7af.png
30KB, 300x250px
http://academia.stackexchange.com/questions/80790/

Stackexchange overwhelmingly says yes, because... proprietary software is industry standard and therefore it's okay.

You can see most of the answerers are professors, who probably make a lot of money selling expensive textbooks and support the prosecution of Aaron Swartz, Kim Dotcom and Edward Snowden.
>>
>>57839267
Fuck off commie
>>
>>57839267
Hmm I'm not sure. I mean how can you trust your results when its closed source? That's a tough one. I'm not sure if it's ethical or not, but open source would be better.

Also snowden is a fucking traitor and should be breaking bricks in levanworth with bradley manning. Kim dotcom is kinda cool though. i miss megaupload. couldn't give a shit about that reddit faggot that an hero'd (i mean what did you expect)
>>
>>57839435
LMAO dad is that you?
>>
>>57839267
>Aaron Swartz
He's a pirate and deserved prosecution.
>>
>>57839267
Stackexchange is shit. It's full of code monkeys and is the cis scum of the internet.

Don't think highly of someone just because they have a phd. That doesn't mean much.
I have being in academia for 5 years and most people I've met are not geniuses.
>>
>>57839435
>Also snowden is a fucking traitor

Whistle blowers serve a vital function in society. Without them, we are one step closer to a totalitarian regime.

>>57839651
>Aaron Swarts is a pirate and deserved prosecution.

What did he pirate exactly? Before you answer, calm your tits. I know he copied scientific articles, but what did he REALLY pirate?
The fact of the matter is, once a scientist publish an article, all the rights to that article is transferred to the publisher. What does the publisher do in exchange? They edit the journals and host them on line. The cost of this is extremely marginal, and the profit margin is orders of magnitude higher than the cost. It's a fucked up system and most scientists would like to publish openly, but they can't because they have to publish in high citation journals and are at the mercy of the publishers and their monopoly. Not to mention that in many cases the science has been paid for by tax dollars, and still we have to pay the publisher for access to the knowledge!
>>
>>57839267
It's an ongoing debate if proprietary software itself is or is not ethical in principle. It seems sort of meaningless to ask about a specific use.
>>
File: jew.png (2MB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
jew.png
2MB, 1500x1500px
>>57839651
>Information should be copyrighted and only those who pay should get access to it.
>>
>>57839651
Get rape exploded, like
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.