[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Video Game Coding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: plane.png (351KB, 1502x1536px) Image search: [Google]
plane.png
351KB, 1502x1536px
Video game creation general.

For the last 6 months I have spent occational nights + weekends working on VR (google cardboard) games. Mine are all terrible, but whatever, its fun. Hoping that if I keep grinding for a long time I can eventually get a hit and make a bunch of money.

I do unity + C#, its super fucking easy. The hard part with VR is designing the interaction. With so few buttons and no way to select stuff "outside" the environment, simple things become really challenging. For example: how do you have a "back to menu" button inside an immersive world?
>>
>>57836725
Use left turn, right turn to make it back/forward

Make it a sliding menu system so its intuitive
>>
Rolling your head, Rapid down+up+centering your head, noding yes/no. Voice ques, a bluetooth gamepad where every button is back
>>
>>57836776

I think you are confused.

You are in a VR world, lets say playing a shooter. How do you exit the game?
>>
>>57836806

Rolling the head or shaking the head fast is a terrible user experience.

Voice control is kind of annoying, but workable.

Gamepad is a weak idea because it requires the user to get more hardware.
>>
>>57836825
You remove your headset?

If you're talking through ingame, just open the menu system and then do sliding menu system using headtilting system?
>>
>>57836846
Fine, slow head up, still, head down, still, then center and display a menu.
I don't have any trouble whatsoever with going from head 30 degrees up to 30 down in 0.75 seconds on my vive, it'd be a push with some cardboard sets I've tried but still not any less comfortable than the headsets itself.
Anyway op, you really don't need to worry. Daydream's coming out so we've got one unified controller for everyone now that comes with the headset.
At very least a unified API for working with it.
Just map to the android back button.
>>
>>57836725
>I can eventually get a hit and make a bunch of money
If you're in it for the money you're not gonna make it
>>
>>57836725
Could some helper sprite follow you through the world like in Zelda.

If you stare at the sprite then chat and menu items appear to focus on.

If you look away then you'll resume the game.
>>
>>57836725
I just gave up on Unreal.
It's infinitely superior to Unity, but UMG is such a piece of shit that switching to unity and relearning everything will be easier than waiting another six months until I find out how to do my UI in a way that doesn't make me feel like a PHP user.

Seriously, fuck UMG. Anyone involved should be raped by a thousand niggerdicks.

>>57836825
How am I controlling the shooter?
Gimmicky wands? Make it a Sword Art Online thing: Hold a button and make a gesture with your hand to open the menu.
Actual controls? Why would you ask the question if that was the case?
Or maybe just use the acceleration sensor in the HMD to detect if it's being taken off. If the user takes it off, pause the game, start the menu and shift output to ordinary screen.
>>
>>57836966

On point with daydream, I need to start developing with that sdk instead of the cardboard one. I still haven't tried one yet.

Still not sure about the specific head motion. That stuff tends to be pretty finicky and you definitely would not want to pop up a menu in the middle of regular play if they accidentally triggered it.

>>57836862

Talking in game. How do you propose the user opens the menu system?

>>57836985

>you're not gonna make it

Why not? I don't expect to, but I am not sure why wanting/hoping to make some money would be so problematic. I enjoy making games, I enjoy making money.

>>57837033

Cool idea, but difficult because you need to make sure it doesn't interfere with the actual gameplay.
>>
>>57837538

Yea, unity is just so fucking easy to use, its shit that I could have done in highschool.

Regarding the shooter: you using google cardboard, so there is a single button and a reticle where you are looking.
>>
>>57836725
>>>/vg/
Search the catalog for AGDG, Amateur Game Dead General
>>
>>57837646
Game Dev, obviously -_-
>>
>>57837646

Oh nice, thanks.
>>
>tfw drawing directly on the screen is easier than your engine's UI framework
Fucking UMG.
>>
>>57837566
You can dedicate a static button on screen in forms of small avatar that follows you, a menu system on player's wrist, whatever other forms of UI you can create.

Whats so hard about that? Play bit more games and you will get the idea, its pretty normal.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.