[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Elementary OS Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: 1970387400_1428852236.png (165KB, 500x313px) Image search: [Google]
1970387400_1428852236.png
165KB, 500x313px
Let's talk about ElementaryOS. I'll start.

Good

It's comfy as fuck. DE is great in regard of both visuals and usability. I grew to hate the flat look meme which is forced upon my throat by other DEs.

Some of the default apps are fine. Music player, mail client, calendar. For sure it has the best applauncher out there. I really like its terminal.

It's stable. It's based on Ubuntu LTS so it rarely does something weird.

Devs are responsive in regard of bugs. They are open to discussion for improvements as well.

Bad

Basically Ubuntu reskin. I'm sad that there are not that many technical projects. Even Solus with their package manager that does not handle libs clearance.. it's nice to see someone taking up the effort.

Epiphany browser as default? Disabling PPAs and general hostility toward third party app producers... devs make some weird choices.

Discuss anon.
>>
>>57834865
I love how it looks but random memory leaks and tedious bugs pushed me away back to Ubuntu
>>
>>57834865
>hostility toward third party app producers
Source?
>>
>>57834897
You mean Samba one?
>>
>>57834913
There were Elementary Tweaks, Elementary Apps and Elementary Extra Icons projects.

None of them got included in their repo. And since the new release they don't support PPAs by default (you can install package for that though).

I haven't seen any open hostility.. but since their style guidelines are strict... I think you should help thirdpart devs at publishing their apps for your OS.
>>
it's trash
>>
>>57835523
Why Anon?
>>
The stock apps are shitty and its quite buggy as a whole. OS X for poorfags
>>
File: Elementary.png (244KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
Elementary.png
244KB, 2048x1152px
>>57834865
>Epiphany
Dropped.
>>
is there any reason I should switch from Xubuntu to this?
>>
>>57834865
Should have just installed Solus instead.
>>
>>57834865
you should better use antergos and install gnome (or XFCE or anything else you like) arch. It s way better than ubuntu or elementary os.
>>
>>57836520
No, we have Ubuntu themes like Macbuntu so you totally don't need to.
>>
always want to try it out.

but i'm so comfy on my cinnamon ubuntu.
>>
Ahh, the distro that combines the obnoxious elitism of Linux users with the obnoxious elitism of macfags

Elementary users are fucking insufferable. Plus it's significantly less versatile and buggy than other mainstream distros because they gut Ubuntu so much.

If you want a non ugly Linux then go with budgie
>>
>>57834865
I really want to like it. It's sleek and comfy looking but outside of that, it uses outdated libraries, you can't customize anything, it's very power-user unfriendly, the devs are pretty terrible philosophy-wise and all in all, it's just buggy. I don't know why it's hyped up so much.

And even when I think about trying Loki long-term to hopefully understand some of the hype, I remember that you couldn't upgrade from Freya and I don't want to have to deal with the hassle of a clean install when the next version comes out.
>>
>>57838344
Go with Solus.
>>
>>57839697
no apache on solus kek
>>
>>57840229
It's meant exclusively for desktop use kek
>>
>>57834962
>but since their style guidelines are strict

Yeah, a disto that is a fucking blatant and bold faced rip off of Mac OS really has the right to dictate what people can do with their style.
>>
>>57836058
You know, you can always install another browser
>>
>>57842498
No. The stock browser should be either Google Chrome, Chromium, or Firefox.
>>
>>57834865

Just buy a Mac poorfag
>>
>>57843256
>tells him to buy a mac
>calls him a poorfag

What did he mean by this?
>>
>last year + 1
>using (((eLemenTary o's)))
shiggy diggy
>>
>>57842556
autismo
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.