[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

9 days until ZEN

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 45

File: igOOt2h[1].jpg (199KB, 1903x678px) Image search: [Google]
igOOt2h[1].jpg
199KB, 1903x678px
http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/new-horizon

who /HYPE/ here?
>>
I'm not falling for poojeet lies after faildozer.
>>
>>57834507
What the fuck is that
>>
File: 1473863689528.jpg (26KB, 278x253px) Image search: [Google]
1473863689528.jpg
26KB, 278x253px
Finally, i need a upgrade over my dying 930.
>>
>>57834507
>not "New HoriZEN"
>>
Cant wait to be disappointed again!
>>
File: ikbFXCw.jpg (95KB, 627x627px) Image search: [Google]
ikbFXCw.jpg
95KB, 627x627px
>>57834535
ZEN, motherfucker
>>
I am ready to upgrade my Athlon X2 4800+, so count me in.
>>
Get ready for months of nonstop shitposting everyone
>>
Meanwhile at Intel HQ
>>
>>57834507
Pretty hype,I was saving money for it hopefully they will release cpus with at least 12 cores.
I really like the multitasking they provide.
>>
AYYMD HOUSEFIRES
Y
Y
M
D
>>
File: EngineRoom Johann Das Boot.jpg (25KB, 436x373px) Image search: [Google]
EngineRoom Johann Das Boot.jpg
25KB, 436x373px
>More Hertz!

It's the Pentium 4 all over again
>>
>>57834771
>>57834813
>>
>>57834771
How do they justify this shit?

Don't get me wrong, Intel > AYYMD, but this is unacceptable.

Say no to upgrading the CPU more frequently than every 5 years, and if not justified sometimes 10 years is a good number.

Only """""hardcore""""" gaymers and some other very specific professional people really need more than a first gen Core i5/7, or even more than a Core 2 Duo for that matter.
>>
>>57834863
>How do they justify this shit?
"The goyim are stupid and they buy what we tell them. We control the entire market anyway."
Pretty much. Intel has OEMs so completely wrapped around their fingers that there is no other choice. The OEMs are selling systems with cheap displays subsidized by intel, they get discounts on CPUs if they move a certain number of intel equipped laptops, they get huge discounts on SSDs, and all sorts of other things. If you want to turn a profit selling prebuilts or laptops you suck up to intel and do everything possible to earn all their little preferred retailer rewards.
>>
>>57834863
The whole point of Kaby Lake is that it can reacher higher clock rates than Sky Lake at the same IPC.

Performance is the product of clock rate and IPC so it doesn't matter which one you increase.
>>
>9 days til barely competing with intels 2015 mid range intel chip
>>
>>57834507
SHOULD WE INVEST IN AMD NOW RIGHT NOW??
>>
File: lauging_chinks.jpg (214KB, 936x434px) Image search: [Google]
lauging_chinks.jpg
214KB, 936x434px
>mfw AMDs new chips will still lag behind Intel's while Intel will continue to charge whatever they want because they still have the performance crown
>>
>>57834507
I'll planning to sell my 6700K and switch if IPC is around Haswell levels and the octa-core is around the same price.
>>
>>57834771
>I don't now how new Intel manufactiring strategy works: the post
Look here, Raj, it's not tick-tock anymore. Now it is called Architecture-Optimisation-Process.
Guses what stage Kaby Lake is? Surprise-surprise - Optimisation! Intel is more mobile-oriented, so they produce more efficient laptop chips with integrated graphics better than anything from novidea and ayymd you can see in poorfag shits like xiamoeme and fagbook.
Second, is power efficiency on desktop and server platforms. Enjoy your housefires on 140W AMD waffle makers with a performance of 45W 7700T, Raj!
>>
>>57834949
>right now
They're hovering around $8.50 per share right now, you missed the prime time to buy a long while back. I expect them to rally above $10 per share, I think a while back as high as $12 per share was expected by some analysts. Once the revenue starts trickling in from their enterprise wins it'll cause a short term boom for them, I doubt it'll have long term staying power though. They'll probably fall back to $6-$8 per share.
If they continue strong sales through 2018 until Zen+ parts launch the prospects of them being a decent couple year investment are much greater.

If they pay down their long term debt fully in the next two years they're an absolute buy.
One little speculator bubble, one positive article about AMD's big comeback in the right paper, we could easily see their share price shoot through the roof again.
>>
>>57835024
Yes I know I should have invested a year ago but it's a bit late for that. However if zen does well, there's gonna be a notable boost.

But you're talking about long term investments, and as you said it's still too uncertain at this point.
>>
will Zen have ECC memory support on mainstream processors?
>>
>>57835063
It hasn't been confirmed, but its likely. All consumer CPUs are made from the same dies as the enterprise parts, the memory controller supports ECC.
Still depends on motherboards supporting it.
>>
>>57835016
>Intel is more mobile-oriented, so they produce more efficient laptop chips with integrated graphics better than anything from novidea and ayymd you can see in poorfag shits like xiamoeme and fagbook.

Oh god you're killing me. There integrated graphics are terrible and far less power efficient than AMD's. Also there are like 15 different fucking mobile GPU/VPU manufacturers for ARM. Stop assuming any of them are AMD/Nvidia/Intel
>>
>>57835100
now if only Zen blows my 2670 out of the water and supports ECC, all while working perfectly fine on windows 7, I might buy an AMD processor for the first time in 10 years.
>>
>>57835173
All Arm graphics is even less powerful. They only have good bunch of hardware decoders while Intel also has QuickSync encoder.
AMD has no appropriate open source drivers, Intel has. There are no AMD APOos capable of HEVC Main10, but there are a bunch of 30-dollar Atoms from Intel.
>>
>all the people itt who are against ZEN
R u srs?
Worst case scenario it'll be another budget CPU group which, while not ideal, will serve us, the customers, indirectly, by driving other CPU prices down.
That's how the market works.

A win-win no matter how you look at it. *Even if* it can't touch Intel, we're still getting more perf/$ on average. What's to hate?
It's not like they'll be releasing something worse than their current offerings.
>>
>>57835194
>ZEN
>working perfectly fine on windows 7
First, it is not hardware working on software, but vice versa.
Second - Microsoft is pushing 10 so hard, you would barely have any decent support on W7 tho.
>>
Nigga just give me HEVC/VP9 60fps 4k 10bit decoding and i'm buying it!
>>
>>57834950
>YAYYYY!!!! GETTING SCREWED OVER IS LIKE THE MOST AWESOME THING EVER!!!1
>>
>>57835211
It's the sheep mentality that's been riddling /g/ for god knows how long
>>
>>57835230
>throttling at 95% load
>>
>>57835229
>Second - Microsoft is pushing 10 so hard, you would barely have any decent support on W7 tho.
Windows 7 is almost eight years old. Are there ANY companies out there that will support an eight year old OS?
>inb4 Linux
Yeah, good luck getting an eight year old Linux kernel running on new hardware. What was ubuntu on back then, Hardy Heron or something?
>>
>>57835211
Don't expect Intel and Nvidia fanboys to think rationally like that... All that matters to them is that their favorite company gets as much of the market as possible and make as much money as possible.
>>
>>57835238
>mfw I get Intel chips for dirt cheap
>mfw I'm going to buy a 6850k for less than $200 USD
>mfw Intel's monopoly doesn't affect me
>>
>>57835243

AMD has always had better iGPU than Intel. I just need it for videos not Vidya.
>>
>>57835265
Do they have at least 4k H264 support for now?
>>
>>57835264
>Not realizing that Intel will just cut any sales of at-cost of otherwise cheap chips once they gain total dominance of the market
Intel is not a charity, it's business and making as much money as possible is more important to them than anything else.
>>
>>57835256
but windows 10 is so awful that a large group of users have either stayed on 7 or 8.1 or moved back from 10. also, even windows 2000 was supported for 10 years when XP was way more popular, so I don't know why you think that 7 should already be deprecated.
>>
>>57835211
Either way everyone should boycott those Jews, not dropping prices on older CPU's in favor of more Shekels is as Jewish as you can get.
>>
>>57835173
>arm
>laptop for doing work
at least you tried
>>
File: mpv-shot0001.jpg (115KB, 1920x1040px) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0001.jpg
115KB, 1920x1040px
>>57834813
>>
>>57834507

inb4 the most useful instruction ever (to me) takes 2 cycles on a 64bit register, or has reciprocal throughput of 4

>tfw no 1 instruction 1 cycle
>tfw no SSE popcnt
>tfw no 1024bit SSE
>tfw vector computation is crap on x86
>tfw no true vector computer
>>
>>57835211
>being surprised by people's stupidity

They will never understand that competition is healthy even if they fanboy one of the sides. We can already see the results of monopoly. Intel doesn't have to compete with anyone so they just release new generations of same chips with just a bit of improvement in one area or another while still delivering basically same performance-wise shit they did last time while making them even more expensive.

I wish Zen release will make AMD a somehow decent competitor to Intel.
>>
>>57835518
>mpv
nigger
>>
>>57835632
:/
>>
I'm interested. I won't be buying one as my current CPU will probably be good enough for years to come, but AMD making a return would be great for the market and progress.
>>
>>57834863
Kaby Lake IS better than the previous gen, just in ways you won't really notice in tests like that. First of all, in that benchmark, both CPUs are at 4 GHz. There is no reason for this because in the actual products, the kaby lake is clocked higher with no disadvantages (power consumption is the same because it is more efficient). There is also a lot of new features not related to pure number crunching stats. For example built in hardware acceleration for many new codecs like 4K VP9, 10-bit 4K HEVC etc. When playing these kinds of files you'll see a huge difference in performance per watt. Very important in for example laptops where battery life matters.
>>
File: image019.png (60KB, 989x742px) Image search: [Google]
image019.png
60KB, 989x742px
>>57835832
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-kaby-lake-core-i7-7700k-overclocking-performance-review,4836.html
Don't talk out of your ass when you're laughably clueless, shill.
Power draw up to 50w higher during a stress test. Average load consumption still over 20w higher.
It uses more power and runs hotter.

The video decoder literally does not matter. Its useless for 99.99999999% of people. It only exists to play 4K streaming media in an ultrabook, which virtually no one will ever do.
>>
>>57834524
keller is behind zen he is also behind the tahiti gpus and athlons cpus..
he never failed and pretty sure he wont start now
>>
>>57835893
Eviscerate yourself you clueless idiot.
>>
>>57835893
Jim Keller never had anything to do with GPU IP.
He was the department head who oversaw Zen and K12.
He was a technician on K7.
He designed a K8 core from scratch but AMD scrapped it, and they put forth a modified version of K7 which Keller was lead architect on. This arch was also named K8, but it wasn't a new design entirely.
He co authored the HyperTransport protocol
He also was one of the few who created the original AMD64 X86 extension
He was the CPU designer for Apple's ARM SoCs on the A4 and A5 chips

Hes done a lot of incredible things in his career, but you people constantly mistakenly attribute things to him that he had nothing to do with.
>>
>>57834507
>sneak preview
>PREview
It's fucking nothing.
They will release a handful of the higher end models some time in February maybe and then have actual availability kick in mid-year.
>>
>>57835958
he's the only god I care to believe in so fu
>>
>>57836037
they don't do it that way anymore, 480 conference->release in two weeks
ces2017 90% guarantee
>>
>>57834692
You'll need a new motherboard first son.
>>
>>57835958
>He designed a K8 core from scratch but AMD scrapped it
Was this what led to AMD's downfall? They were doing ok until the core 2 series came along.
>>
>>57835872
is that before or after toms figured out the motherboard was causing the problems?
>>
>>57834507

Zen will not release until '17 Q1. WTF are you talking about.
>>
>Presented by Doritos Pope.
>>
File: 1480182408643.png (174KB, 416x396px) Image search: [Google]
1480182408643.png
174KB, 416x396px
Reminder that they're using Esports to benchmark it

Reminder that only ignorant poorfag gaymers buy AMD and they know this very well.

All they've gotta say is "It's got moar cores n gigahertz and does the async!" and the Pajeets are all over it despite it's actual performance being trash.
>>
>>57838960
Shalom, friend. You speak the truth.
>>
>>57839357
May Vishnu bless you fellow AMDer
>>
>>57835049
I got mine at 2.16/share. I only got 200 shares because I'm poor, but I've made good use of my $600. It's now over $1800 ($1923 to be exact) and I pulled a couple hundred out for Christmas (had 225 shares, sold 25 @ 8.90/share)

I'm going to ride it until around March and see how Vega looks. If there is another bump from Vega I'll hold it for another month or two and sell. Then use the profits and shove it into a 4 fund approach. By this time next year my IRA won't look horrible.
>>
>>57835049
>>57835024
>>57834949
when I bought my broker told me they have a range from 5$ which everyone was telling their holders to sell, and could boost as high as 12 by years end but that's not a guarantee.

I personally see amd as a long term till zen + investment barring any kind of massive industry wide by un on zen cpus.

sadly got in on amd at a bad time, so maximizing money isn't happening, but I still believe a long term investment isn't a horrible idea.

depending on how long it takes you to buy stocks, now many be the cheapest they are for years, I doubt anything bad is going to be shown at this event, so i see them breaking double digits but not holding 10+$ till zen comes out, but holding higher than they are right now is almost guaranteed.
>>
>>57838894
we get to see zen shown off, likely in an environment that demands single core performance.

Im highly doubting we will see something demanding, but it will show off what basic computer use is like.
>>
File: 1474687157100.jpg (83KB, 641x588px) Image search: [Google]
1474687157100.jpg
83KB, 641x588px
How long would it take for Zen to be supported on Loonix?
Theyve gotta update it to support the cpu's microcode or something like that, right?
>>
>>57838733
>Was this what led to AMD's downfall? They were doing ok until the core 2 series came along.

What happened was intel got their shit together and put a competent cpu out, amd responded and was largely the better buy till sandy bridge. the only cpus form that era that were clearly better than amd counterparts where the extreme editions.
>>
>>57834863
second gen, first gen was fucking horrible.
>>
>>57838813
considering the power use is not close to double, after.
>>
>>57834771
Hopefully Zen will deliver. This is what happens when you don't have competition. Meanwhile Qualcomm and even MediaTek have absolutely crushed Intel in the mobile space. Intel (and MS) even paid off a bunch of 7-8" tablet makers to use their shitty chips which basicakky killed that space because nobody wanted slow Windows tablets.

>>57834939
If Zen can compete with 2015 intel midrange at a significantly lower price then that's great, it's not like Intel has improved anything in years.

>>57834949
No. Buy the rumor sell the news. If you are going to do anything with their stock you should short it.

>>57835063
My blind guess is yes. Every CPU from AMD has supported it for years. Motherboards.. not so much.
>>
>>57834507
9 days until ZEN is launched in an already dying x86 processor market.
>>
>>57840314
No, what actually happened is Intel paid off OEMs not to use AMD

lets not deny that there was Jewing involved here
>>
>>57840609
oh, that was a massive fucking reason prior to the core 2, by core 2 time intel was already in court for those practices, pre core 2 intel was massively behind amd.

everything after core 2 though, those decisions are on amd.
>>
>>57835016
Bullshit. Intel APUs have a lot more CPU power than AMD but it's the other way around with the GPU part. And it's been like that forever. Businesses peopke don't game so they get away with it. Yes, Intels chips are faster and mote power efficient - but don't pretend they have GPUs capable of more than showing a 2D desktop.

>>57835210
What is radeonsi and amdgpu? AMD free drivers included in all distros are rock solid and they havd been for years.

You're right about AMD and hevc, that's actually both sad and funny.
>>
>>57840314
The getting their shit together only happened after they had spent over a billion paying off pretty much all the big OEMs not to use AMD chips. U.S authorities slapped them on the wrist, but the EU did fine them to the tune of over a billion, which they're still trying to dispute in EU courts.
>>
I really hope AMD doesn't fuck up now. I've had enough of Intel's price gouging
>>
>>57840714
That's why AMD keeps trying to push opencl
>>
>>57835229
You can be sure that if Windows 7 requres a 1kb patch to run smoothly on a Zen cpu then it won't be provided. They want you to Submit to the Windows 10 botnet at all cost.

>>57835230
Code for HEVC decoding on AMD Zen APUs is already in MESA git. It will (already is) supported on GNU/Linus.

>>57835256
Well, you can update a 10 year old Gentoo install. You can actually use a 2004 live-CD to install today and gef a updated system.

>>57835270
Yes. 4k H264 decoding works fine. Ironically not all chips that can do it are capable of 4k output (it really doesn't require much and H264 decoding has been around for ages)
>>
>>57840312

pls respond
>>
>>57834507
Will this drive Intel's prices down?
>>
>>57840914
Intel and nvidia can sell on brand name alone dude
not gonna happen
>>
>>57834863
>other very specific professional people
If you are a programmer, not even a data scientist or anything, you might be surprised how much a better CPU helps your productivity. If you write code in a compiled language, especially C++, Scala, Swift or Rust, you should get a recent Core i5/i7 (or Zen if it turns out comparable) because your compiler will use the hell out of it. Even if you work in a dynamic language you tests suites will run noticeably faster.
>>
>>57835872
wow, Intel is actually releasing newer shittier chips. Interesting.

>>57840596
nah, x86-64 isn't dying completely just yet, but it may happen within just a few years. AMD will release a little known ARM chip called K12 along with Zen. A PC server motherboard with SATA connectors and everything else will probably be popular for quite a few server segments. It could easily become the standard for Chrome-style netbooks after a while if the server boards aren't a flop.

>>57840312
Linux kernel as well as gcc support for Zen is already in place,
https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-6/changes.html
> Support for AMD Zen (family 17h) processors is now available through the-march=znver1and-mtune=znver1options.

It's actually been there long enough for it to be in all modern distros. It will just work.
>>
>>57841476
Isn't K12 dead now? They launched that seattle chip (octocore a57?) a while back, but I didn't see anything about it after that apart from one mitx embedded board. With all the news about zen and nothing on arm it's probably gone jim. Or they'll just take arm's standard cores and plonk dozens of them into their semi custom socs and take the simple route..

Anyway the original plan was to have it share the socket with opterons, but we know very little about the opteron platform. I mean there's one anon who claims there's a chance it'll have 8 channel ddr, although I see that as being unlikely because then there's a 16core chip with only four channels in use or three different sockets, neither of which seem like a good idea until way over a year away.
>>
>>57834507
>9 days until AMD dies

why are people even remotly happy?
>>
File: 1469207093987.jpg (143KB, 800x857px) Image search: [Google]
1469207093987.jpg
143KB, 800x857px
I hope it'll be good.
>>
File: 1385522393493.jpg (189KB, 405x412px) Image search: [Google]
1385522393493.jpg
189KB, 405x412px
>hosted by Geoff Keighley

>See eSports & Evil Geniuses legend PPD put “Zen” through its paces.

what is AMD doing
>>
File: 1327456355207.gif (1MB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
1327456355207.gif
1MB, 300x169px
>>57841771

>PPD
>legend
>Dota 2
>CPU or GPU intensive
>"put Zen though its paces"

AHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH
>>
Too late. I waited many months and AMD kept delaying the release. Last month I finally got a 6700k and built my new desktop. AMD can wait 5 to 7 years before I'll look at their products again.
>>
>>57841771
Selling to their market, retarded gaymurs who want the cheapest shit and fall for crud like moar gigahertz and moar cores
>>
>>57841838
Apparently dota2 is too much for zen.
>>
>>57841642
It believe it's just delayed, but we'll see.
https://www.nextplatform.com/2016/09/01/details-emerge-chinas-64-core-arm-chip/

Qualcomm and little known Chinese manufacturers are also releasing ARM motherboards with DDR3 and PCI express. It won't be long before they are available from epray and chinck express.
>>
>DOTA2 OR LOL
>NOT EVEN A REAL 3D GAME ENGINE

MY FUCKING SIDES
>>
>>57842040

Dota 2 runs on Source 2 and I can tell you it is most definitely a real 3-D engine when it can use Vulkan or do VR. However, Dota 2 itself just is not very CPU intensive as a game.
>>
>>57835386
Windows XP did not get new features throughout those years either.
>>57840874
>Well, you can update a 10 year old Gentoo install.
And you can upgrade windows 7 to 10. You still won't get the old Gentoo install to work with the new USB standards and all that.

Seriously, comparing windows 7 to a new Linux distro is beyond retarded. If you want a fair comparison you need to compare it to jaunty jackalope. As for people preferring windows 7, remember that there was a large chunk of Linux users who preferred gnome 2.
>>
>>57842091
Dota is more CPU intensive than GPU intensive
>>
>>57842202

It's still not to any point that I would even use it as a way to show anyone that a processor is good.

Any MMO or multiplayer FPS is more intensive on the CPU on average than Dota 2.
>>
File: lolsuika.png (322KB, 729x717px) Image search: [Google]
lolsuika.png
322KB, 729x717px
>DOTA2

ZEN IS DOA
>>
why do they not encode something with ffmpeg on 1 thread or compile ffmpeg with make -j1?
>>
File: 1256814429102.jpg (28KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1256814429102.jpg
28KB, 600x450px
>>57841771
That fat jew gayben better make some exclusive hat for the poor poojeets getting a zen.
>>
>>57842202
>>57842255
Fucking arma or 15 ai game of supcom is how to test a cpu with video games. Modern games are crippled by consoles and hues.
>>
>>57840961
intel not as much as nvidia, otherwise they wouldn't give their mobile cpus away.

thankfully, amd is not banking on consumer market for zen at all, the fact we are getting it is just a byproduct of consolidation.
>>
It's inevitable that AMD catches up anyway, since Intel hasn't done a fucking thing in years.

If it wasn't for new I/O things like nvme, I would never even need to build a new computer.
>>
>>57834507
good

my athlon 750k/7870myst is getting long in the tooth. I was going to pick up an 8320e and reuse some parts. but im gonna save up for a 4core zen build with a 470

I just hope they dont release the 4c ver in march instead of January as the rumors say
>>
>>57834507
what will happen when this fails like the last 2 or 3 shits AMD pulled before?
What will you do?
>>
>>57841642
K12 is probably dead, but AMD haven't officially said so yet. They said they were putting it on the back burner to focus on Zen, and it would get more attention in 2017.

I'm betting that the ARM K12 design can't compete with Zen in performance, or perf/watt. AMD's Zen core can clock very well at lower frequencies, but the underlying issue is that the market still isn't demanding high performance ARM. X86 is the overwhelming majority of enterprise sales, ARM, POWER, MIPS, and other arches like SPARC64 are competing for 10-20%
>>
File: dota 2 proz.png (106KB, 628x666px) Image search: [Google]
dota 2 proz.png
106KB, 628x666px
>>57842255
DOTA2 is far more popular than ARMA which is what matters primarily. You show off your product doing something that your target audience actually does.

The game scales pretty well with multiple threads, and at highest resolutions the tax on performance can show through pretty well. Pic related is running at 1024x768 with min settings. The i7 and i7E top the bench.
Showing off DOTA2 running at 4K with high settings would be a pretty good demo for Summit Ridge. It would be an even better showing if they were streaming from the computers they were running it on simultaneously. That would actually get a decent number of gamers interested.
>>
File: 1451710914842.jpg (52KB, 568x612px) Image search: [Google]
1451710914842.jpg
52KB, 568x612px
This will be the day Intel gets BTFO
>>
Am i meant to wait for Zen or just get i7 6700k? AMD lets everyone down every time.
>>
>>57848514
Just get the 6700k, based on AMD's history it's by far the safer bet.

But there isn't very long to wait for the disappointment, so you can just hold off on buying the 6700k until AMD blasts it's hot air out into the world.
>>
>>57848514
Summit Ridge = cheaper Haswell-E
They are not directly competing against the highly clocked mainstream i5 and i7 SKUs.

Maybe their quad core Raven Ridge APUs will be clocked higher, but that remains to be seen. Summit Ridge is aimed at the high end content production workloads, with gaming being a tertiary focus.
If you want something for more general use and a greater focus on gaming then get the i7.
>>
The main issue with AMD is how fucking widespread they are, unlike Intel or Nvidia, they do both GPUs and CPUs, and they are also the majority of the market when it comes to console and not-too shabby in laptop hardware as well.

And this is how it will stay forever, AMD will be behind Intel and nVIDIA screaming about cheaper prices whilist trying to compete with two superpowers, once AMD reaches up to better or similar performance or attention, both nVIDIA and Intel will drop a big one and market it with their millions of bux they've gotten from selling gamer shit for decades

I want to say that the day AMD dies off, everything goes to shit, but that's where we are already at.
>>
>>57848616
>once AMD reaches up to better or similar performance
That reminds me of me asking my question, why the fuck is nVIDIA killing SLI?
>>
>>57848634
Because multigpu is shit. Also it's a very niche market. Nvidia doesn't care about gaymers anymore.
>>
>>57848659
>Nvidia doesn't care about gaymers anymore.
fucking kek best joke I've seen on /g/ for a long while
>>
>>57848616
intel does gpus too :^)
>>
>>57848634
>>57848659

If you dont mind educating an idiot, wouldnt dx12 and the way it could handle multigpu completely remove the need for sli/crossfire and shift the per game driver issue onto developers supporting that subset of the standard?

Or am I just retarded somehow and nvidia moving away from it is partially jumping the gun and saving the costs from now? I have no idea why nvidia wouldnt care about gamers but I am relatively uninformed so im not arguing that.
>>
>>57834507
I advise everyone with AMD shares to sell now.
>>
>>57846014
AMD will go down like Matrox or SiS route did
>>
>>57848692
>Or am I just retarded somehow and nvidia moving away from it is partially jumping the gun and saving the costs from now?
Pretty much, they're saving face on bandwidth for now, they'll make a suuuper big release again someday.
>>
>>57848694
but I believe in AMD :^D
>>
I know it'll be a disappointment, but it'll be a good budget purchase like most AMD things.

However, for you idiots that want this to fail... Keep in mind that if AMD fails there will be no competition which means Intel will fuck you in the ass even more. That's what you don't want you stupid NEETs. It fucks the consumer.

But I don't care either way. I still have my Core 2 Quad so fuck you I'm never upgrading.
>>
File: you_asked_for_this.png (227KB, 600x515px) Image search: [Google]
you_asked_for_this.png
227KB, 600x515px
>>57848777
>fuck you in the ass more
don't think that's possible desu senpai
>>
>>57848806
The fuck. I guess Intel no longer tries anymore.
>>
>>57848777
this desu

if nothing else, i want it to be good enough to keep intel honest

and hopefully be good enough to spook them into a decent price drop, since i'm thinking about upgrading from a 3930k
>>
>>57848777
Whether or not something disappoints entirely depends on expectations.
Only rabid fanboys are going to be disappointed because they're eternally disconnected from reason and logic.
The Zen core arch is going to be an average 40% uplift over Excavator in IPC, exactly what AMD said it was going to be. It performs much better in certain workloads, it won't in others.

A cheaper 8c/16t alternative to Haswell-E that is within the same relative range of performance per core.
People who think this is going to compete with 4ghz Skylake are out of their minds.
>>
>>57840257

So, will get to see a demo of a cherry-picked CPU running on an undisclosed clock speed obscured from view.

I'll save myself the disappointment and wait until the benchmarks are in from actual production CPU's posted by actual users.
>>
>>57834507
if Zen came out just a few months ago, in the summer, then it would have been a hit

not only did they miss the big summer-when-people-switch-pcs, they also missed christmas and are releasing in january when people have already spend their tech money on useless stuff!

nevermind the fact that their single core performance is terrible

AMD delenda est!
let them fall while they still have honor!
their CEO should commit seppuku for that 'on time but still really delayed' release dates

I remember - first January 2016, then they pushed it to summer 2016, then winter 2016, now its January 2017, don't expect a release till summer 2017 guys
>>
>>57849064
Zen is not delayed. I dont know where you got your dates from.
>>
>>57849064
>They should of released unfinished product!

great, amazing even.
>>
>>57849064
Ah yes release so it has bugs and the amd is shit meme continues
>>
>>57834507
thank you jesus
>>
File: Untitled.png (378KB, 650x450px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
378KB, 650x450px
>>57834507
any point me getting Zen?

If my maths is right I'm going to take a 35 MHz hit straight out of the box.
>>
>>57834579
>dying CPU
What?
>>
File: 4iivjn.jpg (108KB, 1024x724px) Image search: [Google]
4iivjn.jpg
108KB, 1024x724px
>>57849081
Rumors of course. People read unsourced nonsense online, then instantly take it as fact when it suits their agenda.
People originally saw the slide in attached pic, and they took "IP" to mean that it would be available for sale. People legitimately thought Summit Ridge was going to be on sale starting October this year.
IP means final silicon is in production, it has nothing to do with commercial availability. Of course shitposters love to omit inconvenient facts like this.

AMD stated that they were targeting limited availability in Q4 with full volume in 2017.
AMD have already sent final silicon samples out to OEMs, they'll be sending stock to certain partners who are interested in paying for the first lot of chips.
It was never delayed. They've stuck to this time table for two years now.

>>57849129
Do you want more serial performance, more multithreaded performance, lower power consumption, a non outdated platform, and want to remain using an AMD part?
If so then yes there is a point in building a Summit Ridge system.
>>
Will I be disappointed if I think Zen will make computing great again?
>>
File: 123123141423.png (285KB, 541x498px) Image search: [Google]
123123141423.png
285KB, 541x498px
>>57849149
thanks for the tips but what relevance does "non-dated platform" have accept as marketing nonsense? If it functions and performs the task then it's not dated at all. That's like taking a petrol and electric car, have them race then claiming the losing electric vehicle is better because "it isn't dated"
>>
File: 1479252159153.jpg (63KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1479252159153.jpg
63KB, 720x540px
>>57849149
>>57849188
excuse me " a non outdated platform"
>>
>>57849188
It means support for newer tertiary features, things that are not present on the old AM3+.
M.2 SSD slots, dedicated NVMe lanes, substantially higher bandwidth DDR4, PCI-E 3.0, USB 3.1, etc.
>>
As someone with a 5 year old pc, I hope these new budget cpu are good
>>
>>57849202
ishmmddt
>>
>>57834630
LMAO
>>
>>57849202
That picture scares me
>>
>>57849253

As someone with a 5 year old pc with intel CPU, I still need no upgrade.
>>
>>57849425

Me as well. It's almost as scary as leaving a AMD CPU running unattended.
>>
>>57834800
>>>/v/ is where you belong
>>
>>57849453

/v/ is indeed also a place where people want the best CPU.
>>
File: 1471333630205.jpg (64KB, 347x561px) Image search: [Google]
1471333630205.jpg
64KB, 347x561px
>>57849227
That's a good explanation and I appreciate your view, but doesn't DDR4 have virtually no perceivable speed advantage over DDR3.

I concede of course that their are energy efficiencies to consider.

Apart from that I'm not really sure what advantage PCIE 3 has for a single GPU rig, though I could use NVMe. Most of my devices are doing ok on USB 3, but I'd be interested to hear which devices require it or where it could be beneficial.
>>
>>57849535
>but doesn't DDR4 have virtually no perceivable speed advantage over DDR3.

if you use the iGPU, it does have an advantages.
>>
>>57849490
That's why I see every other person on /v/ and /g/ running around with a $1500 Intel 8 core CPU, right?
Oh wait, price/performance still is the more important metric
>>
The biggest gain of DDR4 over DDR3 is indeed energy efficiency. This advantage is of course completely void when paired with an AMD CPU.
>>
>>57849535
>but doesn't DDR4 have virtually no perceivable speed advantage over DDR3.

DDR4 kits available now are significantly faster than high end DDR3 kits, and CAS timings now are so tight and low that there is no increase in latency either.
For a lot of workloads this does have real benefit, and it helps in some games that use system RAM as a pre render swap space like Fallout4 and The Witcher3 among others.
More bandwidth and low latency together is always a good thing. The lower drive voltage of DDR4 vs DDR3 isn't really a big deal, DIMMs consume like 5-8w~. Saving a few watts going from 1.65v DIMMs down to 1.35v doesn't matter in a desktop.

The PCI-E 3.0 bandwidth really only comes into play with multi GPUs. Most people won't make use of it, but some workstation users with rendering rigs need it.
>>
>>57849586

> Oh wait, price/performance still is the more important metric

Indeed, that's why the sensible choice is an i5.

An AMD can theoretically hit the same performance but will have unacceptable power requirements.
>>
File: 1462626985882.jpg (58KB, 800x596px) Image search: [Google]
1462626985882.jpg
58KB, 800x596px
>>57849616
Thanks bro.
>>
File: Zen team.jpg (75KB, 715x573px) Image search: [Google]
Zen team.jpg
75KB, 715x573px
>>
>>57849129
>>57849149
your zen build would likely be a fuck load faster single core, true 8 core and 16 threads

if you feel like you can hold off, maybe wait till zen+ but if you feel the slowness now, no reason not to other than cost of building a new machine.
>>
File: amd_am4_chipset_x370.jpg (55KB, 550x234px) Image search: [Google]
amd_am4_chipset_x370.jpg
55KB, 550x234px
AM4 board
>>
>>57852387
>no VRM heatsink
Housefire confirmed, even their motherboards
RIP AMD
>>
>>57852994
See mounting holes for heatsinks next to vrms.
>>
>>57835557
what instruction is it?
>1024bit sse
aren't registers really expensive?
>>
>>57853103
>drilled holes
>and yet no heatsink
AMDONE
>>
>>57834507
>new horizon
>not "horizen"
dropped.
>>
https://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/amd-named-a-best-2016dec05.aspx
I just lost the little hope I had left
>>
>>57853203

>amdnow is sjw

AMD IS FINISHED AND BANKRUPT!
>>
>>57853112

Nope.

Doesn't cost anything extra to produce. It's not like you need a significant bigger die for a few Ks of registers and infrastructure nor does it have extra cooling requirements. CPU's already have multiple MBs of cache.
>>
>>57835557
>>tfw no 1024bit SSE
>>57853112
>>57853553

512b SIMD is already cache line sized registers you mong.
There's vanishingly little reason to go beyond that.
>>
>>57849433
It's not like you can upgrade m8
>>
>>57853203
AYYYYYMD IS BOTH SJW AND MUDSLIME LOVERS AYYYYYYYY
>>
>>57853775
>>57853203
You read that? Basicly all amd is doing is not being a complete cunt to gay people, i see nothing wrong...

but then there is intel which cut scholarship programs to give money to feminist frequency because they pulled funding (ads) from a gaming website during gamergates peak.
>>
>>57834507
Large, unified L2 cache is interesting, so is the 8mb L3 cache.

A unified L2 cache you can run a little in memory dbms in there at blazing speeds like memsql
>>
File: pc100143.jpg (1MB, 3147x2176px) Image search: [Google]
pc100143.jpg
1MB, 3147x2176px
superiour speculations here

the zen will perform like non K i5s
K i5s will steamroll it
>>
>>57853989

If it's on par with i5 6600 on lower price that would be amazing.

I don't believe it, though.
>>
>>57853989
Intel is coming out with non volatile memory in 2017, so they are producing cards with piles of L2/L3 cache that have their own system on chip for bezerker fast operations like running your whole OS in L2 cache memory.

Combine that with this Zen chip and you have a supercomputer for under $1k
>>
>>57854016
Oh shut the fuck up you moron.
Micron's Xpoint is slower than DRAM, and is only marginally faster than current high performance SSDs. Trying to equate this shitty marketing gimmick to SRAM speeds is grounds for lynching.
>>
>>57853852
Agreed, Intel is worse, but they also have more money to blow on useless things. They also don't innovate anymore.
>>
File: lolpng.png (149KB, 1120x977px) Image search: [Google]
lolpng.png
149KB, 1120x977px
>>57854060
Actually xpoint is still slower than top line SSDs.
>>
File: 1378922710930.jpg (30KB, 203x345px) Image search: [Google]
1378922710930.jpg
30KB, 203x345px
>Tfw actually really want AMD to succeed

Do you faggots really want an Intel monopoly?
>>
>>57854128

No, but the reality is that AMD sucks at the moment and Zen probably isn't going to be a sudden miracle that fixes everything.
>>
i swear there bloody not be any temperature accuracy problems. it's been an issue for a while now
>>
>>57854341
There is no issue whatsoever.
I can't believe how many people still don't understand this.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2122665/understanding-temperature-amd-cpus-apus.html
>>
File: 1474317719664.jpg (81KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1474317719664.jpg
81KB, 800x1000px
>>57853112
>>
>>57834863
>Only """""hardcore""""" gaymers and some other very specific professional people really need more than a first gen Core i5/7, or even more than a Core 2 Duo for that matter.

are you retarded? newest AAA 2015/2016 games just doesn't RUN at 60fps with i5 2500k and older cpus, i got drops to 25-45 all the time no matter which details i chose in Just Cause 3, Rise of The Tomb Raider, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Battlefield 1, Forza Horizon 3.
Even casual gamers can't play 50% of new AAA games. Also worth noting my i5 2500k is oced to 4.3ghz which is about stock perf of i5 6600k. So good luck with that kind of shit optimization.
>>
>>57850693

> 7 super nerds who look like their 90 year old mom dressed them
> token Indian guy who is probably still a virgin
> Guy beside the girl and the guy in the blue in the middle back look like assholes, but still nerds
> One bitchy female manager who plays the role of mom to keep these autistic nerds focused

DESU I wouldn't want it any other way. Can you imagine a team of normies working on something like this?
>>
File: amd-zen-vr.jpg (242KB, 1200x769px) Image search: [Google]
amd-zen-vr.jpg
242KB, 1200x769px
>AMD Ryzen CPU Coming Soon? New Trademark Hints AMD Rises From The Dead

http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-ryzen-cpu-coming-soon-new-trademark-hints-amd-rises-dead_188657

That's Beautiful!
>>
File: 1445406303733.png (486KB, 526x700px) Image search: [Google]
1445406303733.png
486KB, 526x700px
Why does /g/ get defensive at the prospect of AMD doing well? Even if you are a die hard israelite at the very least a good zen means lower prices for your shiny new i7.
>>
>>57855886

/g/ is retard, my friend.
>>
>>57834771
>make a gimped chip
>charge double
Oy veyyy
>>
>>57849064
Only SR7 (8 core Summit Ridge) will come out in January 2017.
SR5 (6 core Summit Ridge) comes out in April 2017 and SR3 (4 core Summit Ridge) comes out in July 2017.
>>
Will there be a price drop in amd cpus anytime soon?
>>
>>57855886
Who is even going to buy an inferior product even if it's at bargain-bin prices? I'd rather spend $400 more on a proper eight-core CPU than waste $500 on a shitty one from a dead company.
>>
Please god let AMD create something truly wonderful.

I'm sick of Jewtell, want something better than a 4790k
>>
>>57857066
There is something better than the 4790K. It's called the 6700K.
>>
>>57856880
I honestly can't say I give any fucks whatsoever about binned parts.
I just want a decent 8 core chip that doesn't cost >$1k.
>>
>>57857205
LOL you are fucking high
>>
>>57854099
300 million, they pulled it out of helping people who are smart enough to get into collage for tech, but not rich enough to be able to handle the debt themselves.

its not only painful that they gave it to those people, they actively fucked up some other peoples futures because of that shit show.
>>
>>57854108
got a legit question, what is the benefit of xpoint?

is it how much it can write?
cheap to produce once r&d is paid off?
It has lower latency but is still in its infancy?

Honestly interested, I know what their theoretical numbers mean, look at intel and 10ghz on p4, that was theoretical, but practically it was a disaster.
>>
>>57854161
zen could easily get them into good enough territory, remember, intel sat on their ass so long that would it really be THAT hard to come close enough?
>>
File: psst.png (47KB, 381x292px) Image search: [Google]
psst.png
47KB, 381x292px
>the zen does not exist
>>
>>57855382

just cause was a shit show thanks to square,
rottr is crap due to game works
deus ex also got dicked by square
battlefield one, now this I don't believe, once you get to a certain point its a gpu bottleneck over cpu, but honestly i have no fucking clue why it needs that much cpu for online anyway.
forza horizon 3, another no clue cant say shit... likely more to do with windows store and its closed system then your cpu.

just saying, most of the games you listed were sabotaged by publishers.
>>
>>57857030
>Who is even going to buy an inferior product even if it's at bargain-bin prices? I'd rather spend $400 more on a proper eight-core CPU than waste $500 on a shitty one from a dead company.

350 is the leak is to be believed, and 1000 from intel.
>>
>>57853112
>what instruction is it?

POPCNT
LZCNT
TZCNT
IMUL
BLSR
SSE loads

bit manipulation sholud be quick reee

>>57853614
>There's vanishingly little reason to go beyond that.
>vanishingly

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA
>>
>>57858130
http://seekingalpha.com/article/4013845-intel-soon-drop-weapon-mass-dram-destruction
>>
>>57858251
I'd still pay the $650 premium to get a CPU that just werks
>>
>>57858251
>350 is the leak is to be believed, and 1000 from intel.

that's purportedly for the 3 GHz model, not the 3.2 GHz top end one which goes for $500 or whatever.

The i7-6900k (8 core * 3.2 GHz) will almost certainly have a moderate IPC advantage against Zen as well as support 4 DDR4 channels (only 2 for Summit Ridge), so it's clearly not an exact apples-to-apples comparison.
>>
File: 1473792664138.jpg (46KB, 614x345px) Image search: [Google]
1473792664138.jpg
46KB, 614x345px
>>57834507
Will this shit be an upgrade to my i5 2500K?
>>
>>57858307
a fool and his money are soon parted
>>
>>57858776
That depends on which SKU you choose and what you intend to do with it. A Zen quadcore won't bring much more raw performance over a 2500k for general computer use and gaming, but the new platform would have some nice features not found on 1155 motherboards like USB3 and m.2. There are probably others I'm forgetting.

When you start looking at the 6-8 core parts, those probably aren't very useful to the average consumer, but look very compelling for workstation use. If you can think of a program you use that benefits from higher core count and multithreading, you should seriously consider buying a Zen part.
>>
>>57855795
> Ryzen, ThreadRipper, GRok, Varar, Joro and Jitzu.

Are these Mortal Kombat characters or someshit
>>
File: 1460516603697.gif (3MB, 345x258px) Image search: [Google]
1460516603697.gif
3MB, 345x258px
>>57835016
>AMD is gay get Intel pussy
>Spend $1800 to upgrade
>Why is this such shit?
>I said it was better for laptops and integrated graphics you nazi
>>
>>57834771
That image is anti-semitic!
>>
>>57834771

hahhahhhahhha Intel is litterally releasing the same CPU every year
>>
>>57858626
from what we can tell from the leaks both are 3.2ghz one has a higher turbo though.

fuck knows what other differences there are and honestly i think the higher binned cpu for THAT much more, if its just clock rate, is fucking stupid, so till amd confirms im just assuming
a) there is something else going on
b) its fake

that said, are there any applications someone arguing on this board about amd v intel and being retarded about it would need quad channel ddr4? I honestly cant think of an applications that would be memory starved before cpu bottlenecks come into play.
>>
>>57855886
welcome to /g/, /v/'s playground for video game buildan
>>
>>57838733
Hector Ruiz causing Keller and other good engineers to leave by trying to make them take a pay cut, and then basically sitting on their hands once K8 came out is what caused their downfall.
>>
>>57862424
Ruiz really is one of the worst cunts in semiconductor history. Got popped for insider training too.
>>
>>57840714

If you use intel igpus for what they're intended for and understand their limitations you realize they're not that bad.
>>
>>57858302
>More importantly, they're also adding non-volatility, so you'll never need to wait for an app to load again - they'll always be loaded in memory and ready-to-go with a delay that is imperceptible from instantaneous.

You see this is bullshit application, what would you use it for? If in workflow it will be slower than ddr2? It's not like you do same thing over and over again, and machines that do that do not get rebooted at all.
>>
>>57835210
>All Arm graphics is even less powerful.
You're comparing xbox hueg Intel iGP's to small ass ARM GPU's, and PROTIP, they're almost as fast
>They only have good bunch of hardware decoders while Intel also has QuickSync encoder.
More ignorance from the Intel shill, hardware video encoding was adopted much faster on mobile due to obvious reasons than on desktops, Qualcomm et al have had HEVC encoders since 2012 iirc, and h264 encoders have been around in their SoC's since the old Nokia days
>>57841879
It literally never got delayed, fuck off shill
>>57842295
They already showed off IPC m8
>>57845941
>since Intel hasn't done a fucking thing in years
They been trying to compete with AMD's iGP's, before that they pushed hard on the mobile market but eventually dropped out
And they been making quite some things around the Xeon Phi's
>>57848616
Intel has been trying to make a GPU since the mid 90's, they also bought a market leader back then
But as anything non-x86 Intel touches, it turned into extremely overhyped literal shit
>>57849129
You probably won't get much improvement on anything that's threaded properly
>>57849601
>memes and shilling
>>
>>57862985
Yes, Intel APU are made for 2D desktop apps and they are great for that. But you can't 3D. That makes them worse than AMDs APUs. A car with no reverse does not get better by saying it's not meant to ever go backwards, that's a rather important feature to have when you need it.

Cellphones have a similar situation, Mediatek chipsets have octa and deca cores with slow single core performance and slow Mali GPUs. Snapdragons have faster single core performance and a lot faster Adreno GPUs. Don't try to bullshit by saying Intel or Mediateks solutions are sonehow good because they are not meant to be used to play games.

Intel could just drop their integrated GPUs, if you buy a i7 then you're going to get a graphics card anyway.
>>
>>57858930
>1155
>not having usb3

senpai...
>>
AMD couldn't compute their way out of wet paper bag, they could set it on fire pretty quickly though.
>>
>>57835893
This

He is a god
>>
>>57838960
>muh async combust
>>
>>57834524
>faildozer.
You mean the superior multi core CPU microarchitecture at the time? It was cheaper and faster in multicore than anything Intel had.
Kek
>>
File: 1445918976592.png (600KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
1445918976592.png
600KB, 800x533px
>>57863425
>trying to ruin the classic memes
the other day I saw someone post a badly shooped over variation of that giant nVIDIA fan exhaust to have AMD on it
>>
>>57863400
USB 3.0 isn't part of the Z68 chipset but there are boards that have an extra chip on them to provide USB 3.0 functionality.
>>
File: images-1.jpg (16KB, 530x277px) Image search: [Google]
images-1.jpg
16KB, 530x277px
>>57859697

Kek
>>
>>57855382
I have an old amd 6 core, 6320 I think and it runs dark souls 3 and fallout 4 on high with no issues

'gamers' massively exaggerate the importance of CPUs in games
>>
>>57863322
Mediatek pretty much just take stock ARM core designs and crank up the core count.
>>
>>57848694
Why would you want to lose money?
>>
>>57848694
thats not how stocks work
>>
>>57864395
I too see AMD as a sell / short at this range.

Buy the rumor, sell the news. Zen is priced in. If you think Zen sales and margins will massively exceed expectations then hold. Buy? You should have done at $2.

I believe that if Zen is good or great as expected then it's meh for their stock price because that's what's priced in. Zen needs to massively amaze for the stock to rally further.
>>
File: big (4).gif (11KB, 917x455px) Image search: [Google]
big (4).gif
11KB, 917x455px
AMD just broke out of a 3 month $2.34 consolidation range. A good target using a measured move would be $10.34 on the upside. I don't see any reason to be selling in the mid 8's here unless there is some fundamental change in the market.
>>
File: Amada-tan.jpg (73KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Amada-tan.jpg
73KB, 1024x1024px
Number 1 in kawaii processing
>>
>>57834507

I'm hype for some competition. I just hope Intel gets off their ass and actually starts trying to innovate again.

If only to completely crush Zen. Which I hope happens.
>>
>>57866555
Intel's late 2017 to early 2018 desktop chips will be Coffee Lake. Still 14nm parts.
It'll probably be mid 2018 before they can get any 10nm parts to yield well enough in the clock range for mainstream desktop and HEDT.

Nothing AMD does will have any impact on intel's operations. intel isn't holding anything back on the arch side of things, they're putting out all the IPC improvements that they can muster. The only holdup they're encountering is coming from their fab, and that isn't soon going to change.
>>
>>57858307
Fucking retard.
>>
>>57858302
It still will be more expensive than RAM and SSDs and still won't justify the price. BTW, what happened with Samsung's Z-SSD lineup?
>>
>>57862424
That's sad.
>>
>>57835016
>1% optimization
wew lads
>>
>>57835016
>so they produce more efficient laptop chips with integrated graphics better than anything from novidea and ayymd
>desktop and server platforms
>wanting to use Intel HD on a laptop
>wanting to use Intel HD on a server (xeons don't even have iGPU's)
>wanting to use Intel HD on a FUCKING DESKTOP
things nobody has ever wanted to do for 400$
>>
>>57864831

AMD stock has what, tripled in the last 12 months? Naturally as an expert in all things financial and /g/ this tells me AMD is going bankrupt.
>>
I'm going to buy the top end Zen on day 0.
>>
>>57868927
Join the club
>>
>>57868927

>8c/16t zen
>equivalent to crosshair formula z on AM4
>bolt my 250w cooler to it (if AM4 uses different mounting i'll buy a new cooler)
>clock that shit as far as I can
>use my 290x until full fat vega
>go full on 4k

I'm going to be so poor but it will be worth it.
>>
>>57840314
>amd responded and was largely the better buy till sandy bridge
Intel still sold more because they were literally hitler in that period.
>>
''Zen'' you mean 3/4 the performance per dollar compared to the newest i5 series?
>>
File: bitches-and-whores.png (2MB, 1441x956px) Image search: [Google]
bitches-and-whores.png
2MB, 1441x956px
>>57868927
>mfw all of you RMA AM4 boards because they're defective as fuck right now
>>
>>57867800
was it him who also signed away amds mobile cpu/gpu, and signing a non compete?
>>
>>57841879
they never delayed it, based on first tap out the earliest we could have seen zen was h1 this year, with likely h2, but amd seemingly wants to not paper this bitch, so q1 17
>>
>>57863467
banked on multi core, and the world told them to fuck off we like our single core.

seriously, we need a legacy gpu and a new primary one. cut all the fat out of the new one, make sure it has a rock fucking solid instruction set, and make it what we work on from now on, with legacy handled by a legacy chip.
>>
>>57864338
bullshit on fallout. regardless of what you have, bethesda decided to render shadows on the cpu rather than gpu so there is no way you play it at decent frames.

darksouls 3, while not the best optimized game, made great strides compared to 1 and 2.
>>
>>57863467
>>57869920
It wasn't a matter of single/multi-core, since everything was already multicore at that point.

It was a matter of whether cores could be assigned identical work or not, since you had pairs of cores sharing front ends (instruction caching/fetching/decoding).

Some software loads lent well to this architecture with a consequential minor efficiency gain, but most didn't and were instead hurt quite a bit by it.
>>
>>57864591
zen needs to be exactly what they promised, they are not expecting to make money off consumer sales, this is 'same as before' from them, however the enterprise market is where they want to get back in.

if zen is good, it will

it will likely stay in till zen+ comes out

after that, is when you may want to consider getting out.
>>
AMD lost it on price point once again. The 8c/16c should have been priced as an i5. Once again AMD marketing team cucked the company
>>
>>57869982
Top end Summit Ridge is competing against Haswell-E and lower end Broadwell-E.
They aren't competing against mainstream i5 and i7 SKUs.
>>
>>57870000
And that's exactly why they will remain irrelevant to normal people. AMD has no idea how to make money in the market.
>>
>>57868927
Im day 0, but news of that sku difference, that put me to week 1 instead of day 0

>>57869779
whats wrong with em?
>>
7 days until some more inconclusive bullshit about zen guys
>>
>>57869977
>zen+

What's even being promised for Zen+?
If anything, Intel has at least taught me that post-Sandy Bridge architecture improvements come remarkably slowly and painfully.
>>
>>57870025
So far? Faulty USB3.1 controllers, chipsets not meeting their power targets, vendors being cheap Jews when it comes to features, and AM4's chipset-to-PCIe limitations. There are probably more problems yet to come.
>>
>>57870045
IPC improvements, mostly. optimistic projections most likely. there's no telling what hurdles they'll run into.
>>
>>57870045
don't know, process optimization, optimizations in the architecture, all I know is TCSW left amd with a road map through zen+ for their cpus.
>>
>>57870000
>>57870017
The uncut Summit Ridge chips will compete with Broadwell-E based i7-6800k+ chips, Xeon-D SOCs, and (when combined in MCMs) with E5-v3/v4 Xeons.

All the 4c/6c binned chips will be left for people who want i3/i5 level workstation CPUs but don't care about iGPUs.
>>
>>57870045
Further increased IPC, and likely significant clock increases.
It'll probably be made on IBM's 7nm SOI FinFET process and clock significantly higher than Samsung's 14nm LPP.
>>
>>57870115
>The uncut Summit Ridge chips will compete with Broadwell-E based i7-6800k
Yeah, in the same way that your circumsized 3" white prick competes with my uncut 8" black dick. Everyone knows what to expect from SR7: i7-6850K performance at 6850K pricing. It will NOT compete evenly with the i7-6900K and 6950K.
>>
X86 has topped out

There is no where for it to go other than 1-2% "improvements"
>>
>>57870072
got links on the 3.1, and does this mean usb3 will not work?

what does not meanting power targets mean?

hews doesn't shock me, they are usually budget boards and with no zen, why bother with something good.

really, everything you mentioned so far i can't find anything on outside of june.
>>
Who wants to bet they use purposely underclocked Intel CPU benchmarks at their presentation again.
>>
>>57848824
what if we are reaching the limits of the physical world?
>>
>>57870072
Stop regurgitating this FUD.
There are no "faulty" USB 3.1 controllers. The chipset needed a signal booster because the protocol is highly sensitive to interference. This was a bullshit clickbait headline half a year ago, and it was never a problem to begin with.
>>
>>57870072
Go into details.
>>
>>57870168
USB3.1 will not work very well out of the box. It might not even work at all even with patching, so some board makers might scrap the feature altogether to save themselves the hassle of endless complaints.
A320 and B350 chipsets have set power targets that AMD was hoping to score some power efficiency points over. But they're making those chipsets on the 32nm SOI process, the very same process that Bulldozer and Piledriver used.
Even AM4 flagship boards will not have the same expansive feature list of their LGA1151 counterparts. I think the board makers know where AMD's place is, and it's in the budget and poorfag aisle.
AM4's chipset relies upon PCIe lanes directly from the CPU itself. It's like a shittier version of PCIe PLX switches, but built into the CPU itself. This will add significant latency on all connections to the chipset over the inherently better implementation that is DMI 3.0

>>57870206
>FUD
>it was never a problem to begin with.
>AMDrone actually believe this
Meanwhile, Intel has managed to make USB3.1 native to their chipsets without any fuss at all. Stay mad, AMDrone
>>
File: CPUlets.jpg (119KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
CPUlets.jpg
119KB, 600x800px
>>57870147
I see that /fit/ is infecting /g/ now.
>>
>>57869977
>however the enterprise market is where they want to get back in.

If they can offer E5 performance at lower prices then I can see AWS and GCE buying them by the boatload. I can also tell you from working in a datacenter and having to RMA a lot of processors over the years that AMD's RMA process is slow and shitty. They really need to improve on it if they are determined to break into the enterprise market. In some of the larger datacenters, especially AWS facilities. Intel has put actual representatives inside the facilities for direct RMA. Never heard of AMD doing that.
>>
>>57870265
Intel had the exact same problems with all of their early USB3.1 board as well. It took them half a year to come out with a new chipset with a powered booster built in and design protocol for manufacturers to better isolate external chipsets.

Stop shitposting, you retarded fanboy.
>>
>>57870296
Alright, explain to me in detail why DMI 3.0 is worse than the PCIe lane-splitting PoS DOA system on AM4
I'll be waiting
>>
Who /waitingforZen+/ here

Only suckers buy first-gen technology.
>>
>>57870317
>I got called out for shitposting and spreading bold faced lies
>time to switch goalposts and deflect away from the fact I just got exposed as a shitposting child

I bet you're the same faggot who was claiming Zen would never clock higher than 3ghz.
You're probably the same retard who thinks it only has single channel memory because you're too dumb to understand how an IMC interfaces with physical memory channels too
All you do is lie and shitpost.
>>
>>57870356
I'm still waiting~
All you AMDrones can do is accuse and deflect
>>
>>57870356
>it's that niggerfaggot who thought Summit Ridge would have 10Gbit NICs built in
Look at this faggot
Look at this faggot and laugh
>>
So what's the expected IPC of Zen? What about pricing?
>>
>>57870442
>expected IPC of Zen
Below Sandy Bridge, amazingly.
>What about pricing?
$500, $350, $250
And you pay $200 more for the eight-core if you want a 0.2GHz bump in base frequency.
JEWING INTENSIFIES
>>
>>57870442
>So what's the expected IPC of Zen?
On average 40% higher than Excavator.

> What about pricing?
Probably $500 for the top end 8c/16t chip
>>
>>57870419
the chip will have built in 10 Gb MACs, and it's just a question whether the AM4 SKUs will expose it.
> honestly probably not since AMD would like to have a shot at fat enterprise margins
>>
File: 1411297524859.jpg (70KB, 450x370px) Image search: [Google]
1411297524859.jpg
70KB, 450x370px
>tfw 2600k at 4.4 ghz
>not sure if excited or not
>>
>>57870579
>the chip will have built in 10 Gb MACs
Yeah no it won't.
>>
>>57870419
>I don't understand the difference between a MAC and a full NIC
>>
>>57870588
Summit Ridge is only twice as powerful as Orochi, which is basically the old FX-8100 Bulldozer chip clocked in at 2.8GHz.
If you do the math, then Summit Ridge at 2.8GHz will have the slightly better IPC than the Xeon X5647. AMD has finally caught up to Intel from 8 years ago.
>>
>>57870641
Bulldozer is a core architecture.
Orochi is a die layout.
The Bulldozer based consumer chip you're thinking of is Zambezi.
The revised Piledriver based successor is Vishera.
The die layout is still Orochi.
AMD never compared Zen to Bulldozer.

Stop talking out of your ass with every post.
Go back to Anandtech or OCN if you want to lie and troll.
>>
>>57870419
>>57870594
You have no idea how overbuilt the IO on Summit Ridge is.
Instead of going with 4x DDR4 channels, AMD is using 2x channels with full rate (~19 GB/s at DDR4-2400) AES-128 plus 32 lanes of PCIe and a handful of SATA controllers.
A few XAUI lanes and miniscule frame and descriptor buffers is absolutely nothing compared to everything else going on.
>>
>>57870667
You need to GTFO
http://seekingalpha.com/article/3998662-amd-zen-dead-arrival
>>
>>57870477

>On average 40% higher than Excavator.

See you failed at the first step anon - you didn't go and extraploate from excavator and delcared zen fail because you didn't (and cannot) account for the L3 cache zen has but XV does not. You'll never fit in here (or OCN or hardform) with that attitude.
>>
>>57870685
>citing a poorly written Seeking Stockmanipulation article
Again, stop shitposting and lying. You behave like a child.
>>
>>57870685

>SA

You should've used somethingawful as a source as they are more accurate than what SA posts. Don't forget everyone knows zen is a failure because of geekbench scores.

Oddly when kabylake geekbench scores came out that shows KBL slower than haswell geekbench suddenly didn't count.
>>
I hope its good really need to upgrade my cpu otherwise im going skylake i5
>>
File: Intel-Coffee-Lake-Roadmap.jpg (58KB, 635x255px) Image search: [Google]
Intel-Coffee-Lake-Roadmap.jpg
58KB, 635x255px
>>57870685
> Things could become harder for AMD once Intel releases its 10nm Cannon Lake chips next year.

hahaha, shortsale blogkike is really stretching here.
>>
File: pc.jpg (59KB, 660x523px) Image search: [Google]
pc.jpg
59KB, 660x523px
>>57870745
>>
>>57862424
what's he doing now?
>>
>>57870183
That demonstration was meant to highlight the IPC of the chip, which is something the FX lineup has been widely criticized for. The only reason they did that is so they could say "hey, look. We fixed the IPC, OK?"
>>
>>57871326
>That demonstration was meant to highlight the IPC of the chip
Not accurate at all
>In the purest sense, measuring the number of instructions per clock that a set of instructions can perform can determine the efficiency of a design. However, the majority of highly optimized code bases do not have general-purpose code - if it detects a particular microarchitecture it can manipulate threads and loops to take advantage of the code design. How should IPC be measured is the main question: using identical code bases makes it easier to understand but are often non-real-world compiler targets, or highly optimized code to show the best of what the processor can do (which means that IPC performance is limited to that benchmark)? With the results we saw, if the difference of about a second in just under fifty seconds translates into a 2% difference, is it accurate to say that this is a 2% IPC increase, or does it rely on optimized/non-optimized code? Optimizing code, or profiling compilers for specific code targets, is nothing new. In the holistic view, most analysts use SPEC benchmarks for this, as they are well-known code structures, even though most benchmarks are compiler targets - while SPEC is not particularly relevant for the real world workloads, it does give an indication about performance for unknown architectures/microarchitectures.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10585/unpacking-amds-zen-benchmark-is-zen-actually-2-faster-than-broadwell
>>
>>57834507
I'd rather see Vega demoed for gaming and Zen for server type stuff, famalam.
>>
>>57869982
>The 8c/16c should have been priced as an i5.
what is it with stupid intel shits and their utterly retarded expectations?
>>
>>57872894
Not one fuck given about vega, What I want to see is zen gaming anything. If they show fps, tell us specs, we can extrapolate that out a bit. As my use is for an everything pc, from my hobbies to gaming, I want to know how this thing handles gaming.

From what I can tell, good enough is the answer, then you have 8 core 16 thread, which was shown to match intel 8 core, what we know is that its not as fpu strong, but the only questions we have left are this

How much does high fpu matter? I mean rendering out 3d on the cpu is one of the most intensive things you can do as a home user, and if that's not pushing fpu to an intel advantage what will?

and two, what is its overclocks like? what we know from the leak (if its trustable) is lowest common denominator of a working zen is 3.2ghz, with a 3.4 boost, and a 3.6 boost for the 500$ one. This means a functioning zen is 3.2 this doenst me 3.2 is the limit. and seeing intel barely clocks their cpus higher in boost (but they have more boost states, another thing we know little to nothing about) it can get a single core to 4.0, and almost the entire intel 8 cores hit 4.3

these are the last two pieces we need to see, gaming will give us a bit of an indication on ipc.
>>
>>57863467
It's not, though. It's only "superior" in the sense that Intel wasn't selling 8 core or more chips for the consumer market but they did have 8 core CPUs with 16 threads on the server market which were more powerful than the chips based on Bulldozer architecture.

It's also Faildozer BECAUSE it has good multi-core performance in a field where single core performance is ultimate king.
>>
>>57870200
then well go Bankai
>>
File: 1479792244231.jpg (57KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1479792244231.jpg
57KB, 640x640px
>Implying you need more than 4 cores on a desktop

Its pretty obvious Zen is going to be for servers, anyone buying this for their latest gaymen build is a grade A fanboy faggot

Unless you're rendering the next Pixar movie there's literally no use for that much parallel processing, especially when the cores are much weaker and shittier than Intel's(Only on a lesser scale unlike Bulldozer, but its still the same shit).
>>
>>57876463
DX12/ Vulcan is much better for CPU scaling, and even intel is making moves to more cores now
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.