[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Install Gentoo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

File: gentoo1.png (104KB, 370x492px) Image search: [Google]
gentoo1.png
104KB, 370x492px
https://stallman.org/to-4chan.html
>I have a low opinion of Gentoo GNU/Linux.
>Gentoo is a GNU/Linux distribution, but its developers don't recognize this; they call it "Gentoo Linux".
>That means they are treating me and the GNU Project disresepectfully.
>More importantly, Gentoo steers the user towards nonfree programs, which is why it is not one of our recognized free distros.
Wait, why do we always tell people to install gentoo?
>>
its,,,,,, just a joke,,, in the community,,,,,,
>>
Most people generally appreciate Richard Stallman's contributions to free software, but few people hold to the same puritanical beliefs about the necessity of constantly and explicitly acknowledging GNU wherever present.
>>
Why was Gentoo even chosen by 4chan as a circlejerk meme?
>>
>>57829711

Well that's your GNU/opinion, but I GNU/beg to differ.
>>
install guixsd
>>
File: linus-torvalds.jpg (167KB, 900x750px) Image search: [Google]
linus-torvalds.jpg
167KB, 900x750px
>>57829739
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as GNU, is in fact, Linux/GNU, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, Linux plus GNU. GNU is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Linux system made useful by the Linux corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
>>
>>57829723
Because if you can install gentoo then you can figure out almost any problem you have in the 1st place
>>
File: gentoo-screenfetch.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
gentoo-screenfetch.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>57829783
I recently installed Gentoo with XFCE4 on an older computer, sure the process is tedious and it took me forever, but if you follow the manual(s), it really isn't rocketscience.
>>
>>57829932
that's the point the majority of problems in linux can be solved though reading
>>
I feel bad.
He is clearly autistic but we just keep egging him on.
>>
>>57829723
in the early days of 4chan (and even before 4chan was established) when hardware was much less efficient, gentoo had a memetic reputation because most people considered spending days watching shit compile to be a fool's errand.
>>
File: logo_black_slogan_border.png (16KB, 327x192px) Image search: [Google]
logo_black_slogan_border.png
16KB, 327x192px
Time to tell people to install something with GNU in its name. Pic related.
>>
>>57831130
Also something with only free software. Blew me away when I read that Gentoo isn't libre FSF approved bullshit after seeing it shilled here every day for years. Lots of freetards here. I figured the install gentoo tards and the freetards were one in the same.
>>
>>57831189
just because it is not approved does not mean you can not make it free
>>
>>57829932
>164MB
Crazy. Bet it's all XFCE too.
>>
>>57831189
SMGL uses only free software on its main build, you have to use the z-rejected grimoire to access non free software, so is truly optional.
>>
Its our hilarious way of filtering out noobs, anyone with any fucking sense will try ubuntu or debian first
>>
File: 1277478334291.jpg (323KB, 766x758px) Image search: [Google]
1277478334291.jpg
323KB, 766x758px
>>
INSTALL TRISQUEL
>>
>>57831753
I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Trisquel, is in fact, Trisquel GNU/LInux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, Trisquel GNU plus Linux.

(Trisquel GNU/Linux is actually the official name of the OS)
>>
>>57829775
Install Gentoo
>>
>>57829980
>2016
>reading anything longer than a twitter post
>majority of problems
>>
>>57832625
what's wrong with reading
>>
>>57829630
It's a joke to trick newfags into digging a hole.
>>
>>57831243
Poor RAM-fag detected
>>
WTF I hate GNU now. How do I uninstall coreutils?
>>
This is why you install Solus instead.
>>
>>57831189
ACCEPT_LICENSE="-* @FREE"

FSF doesn't approve distros that allow the user the choice to install non free software - even if none is included in base install and it is 100% the users decision.

Many do run Gentoo with only free software.

According to the FSF, you are less free when given more options.

Debian is similar - have to go out of your way to find and install with non free drivers. Need to add non free option to package manager. Still not approved.

Gentoo is a meme only to those who haven't used it - it is legitimately one of the best distros around. Portage is a top notch package manager with functionality that most other distros can't come near.
>>
>>57829630
Gentoo can be a powerful distro, but you have to have a lot of time. Installation is just the beginning.

And forget Stallman, he's a clueless dick.
>>
>>57829630
Not going to lie, it's really not hard to install. At first it's like reading ancient forbidden textures from a lovecraftian novel, but once you get the hang of it, it's a pretty easy OS to install. I'm starting to prefer gentoo because I like to have the software compiled the way I want it rather than how someone else wanted me to compile it.

>>57835011
If you have a decent computer, it's really only a few short hours to install and most of the time time was taken up fixing a mistake you made or you spent a lot of time reading documentation.
>>
>>57829630
The strange thing is that Gentoo isn't necessarily a Linux distro at all; over the years there have been multiple versions built on BSD kernels.
>>
>>57835039
Gentoo used to be potentially more difficult to install, back when they still supported stage1 and stage2 builds. Those were similar to LFS, where you had to bootstrap large parts of the system rather than installing a base and building from that. They ditched it because 1) the performance benefits of a finely hand-tuned base were minimal/placebo, and 2) it caused mailing lists and message boards to be flooded with topics like "I COMPILE MY BASE, WHY IT NO WORK, FILE BUG REPORT???"
>>
>>57835381
>back when they still supported stage1 and stage2 builds
They still offer stage1 and stage2 builds, but the official install guide covers stage3 only. You can still do a stage1 or a stage2 install, but you're on your own.
>>
File: download.jpg (9KB, 358x141px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9KB, 358x141px
Fucking mem OS.
>>
>>57831130
install SMGL?
>>
File: 1466639654134.png (777KB, 994x800px) Image search: [Google]
1466639654134.png
777KB, 994x800px
>>57837447
install smeagol!
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.