[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Teach me how to OC

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: oc.png (315KB, 701x513px) Image search: [Google]
oc.png
315KB, 701x513px
>>
>>57826623
>can't increase power target past 100%
>>
>>57826623

power target above 100% (bummer), temp target to the max, unbind with that symbol on the left (always leave it unbound)

add 50 mhz only to the gpu clock, run a benchmark like furmark, heaven engine or any meme like firestrike gaymen to ensure stability. If stable, keep increasing by 10 to 5mhz. when you get the stable value, start working on the memory

usually you should be able to add at least 100mhz to the gpu and 350-500mhz to the memory, ymmv

otherwise you could flash your bios but that's just getting finnicky and you could permanently brick your card

don't fret too much about it anyway, overclocking is about looking for the highest stable performance and it's not always meant for the highest stability unless you achieve it, it's simply pulling max performance for the sake of it rather than just settling for defaults; the 100% max power targets restricts this card anyway.
>>
File: GTX 1060 Idle.png (560KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
GTX 1060 Idle.png
560KB, 1920x1080px
Incoming retard who lives in the north pole.

I guess I should learn how to properly overclock both GPU and CPU (4670k), any solid advice?
>>
>>57826806
>CPU

Look up an overclocking guide for your motherboard and one for your CPU. Then combine and apply the knowledge because the terms used in the BIOS for certain parameters are not universal.

Aim for something like 10% of your base clock on top of your turbo clock and run some stability/ stress tests like prime95 or AIDA64. The amount of additional clock speed per additonal voltage that you can get away with before things get too unstable or hot can vary a lot between chips of the same processor model, so don't expect to just copy an overclock you find online.
>>
>>57826806

overclocking your CPU will depend on your cooler and if your motherboard can handle it, all chips have unique overclockability

CPU, start by booting off default and check the voltage, you should be able to see whether you have a good chip or not off the bat

I'll concur with looking for resources online

Usually you'd need to keep your CPU under 1.3v and 70 degrees to prevent throttling as a general rule

add the target ratio and boot it off 1.3v then gradually reduce by chunks of 0.20v-0.05v

make sure c states and eist are off, power options are on the max (check mobo manual/online resources), obviously you need a good PSU in every scenario

when you're done with the base clock (and that's the very first thing you should work on), get to the cache

then after add the memory, implying xmp

check online for other users who overclocked the same chip to get an indication of the voltage and stability but under circumstance values can be just copy pasted. Expect alot of restarting and potential blue screens along the way, it can take a whole afternoon to "find" those stable values. Then once you get it, it's easy as pie.
>>
>>57826861
>>57826952
Thanks for the advice.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.