[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 33

File: 1449417157079.png (5KB, 584x310px) Image search: [Google]
1449417157079.png
5KB, 584x310px
Previously: >>57806645

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man <insert command here>
$ info <insert command here>
$ help <insert command here>

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
https://www.gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
http://fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
https://p.teknik.io/oJR7K

Friends:
>>>/t/707928 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
>>>/t/713097 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos
>>>/wg/6767536 - /wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers (Part 2)
https://archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/ - /wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers (Part 1)
>>
GODDAMNIT what the fuck

literally spent like 5 hours trying to configure mpd+ncmpcpp last night and i FINALLY got it to work

now i turn on my laptop this morning, and (1) lost my playlist i had set up from yesterday, and (2) i cant even browse for music by pressing tab

someone help and tell me wtf is going on !???????????
>>
>>57818920
do you have systemwide or userwide config?
are you sure mpd loads the proper mpd conf?
did you create appropriate database and playlist file?
>>
>>57818931
>do you have systemwide or userwide config?
how would i know this?
i followd this guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwS28dX7eOI
mpd config: http://pastebin.com/P7rwMFLq
ncmpcpp: http://pastebin.com/yZM8zGwv
(and yes i have the directories edited for my system)

>are you sure mpd loads the proper mpd conf?
?

>did you create appropriate database and playlist file?
i think so
if i go into:
cd .mpd
ls

i get:
config mpd.conf mpd.db mpd.log mpdstate playlists
>>
systemctl status mpd.service

systemctl status mpd.socket

upload outuput

What happens when your run mpd from the terminal?
>>
>>57818981
>>57819003
>>
>>57819003
ok i ran those commands but im not sure what they do?

also i just sudo killall'd mpd and ncmpp

and then i typed in: mpd

and i get

Dec 03 09:51 : socket: Failed to bind to '127.0.0.1:6600': Address already in use
>>
>>57819029
>Dec 03 09:51 : socket: Failed to bind to '127.0.0.1:6600': Address already in use
mkay

systemctl mask mpd.service

systemctl mask mpd.socket

Now you have to add mpd to autostart on login.
Ubuntu settings manager should have a "session" option or something like that. Just add an entry and the command should be just "mpd".

Reboot
>>
>>57819133
>>
>>57819062
>Ubuntu settings manager should have a "session" option
is it this?

and do i have this correct?

im assuming i dont as i just restarted and it still doesnt work :(
>>
>>57819143
Something really minimal I guess.
Can it run modern DE's ?
I'd say some lightweight distro that handles lxqt or lxde.
Even XFCE maybe but I'm unsure.
>>
>>57819162
Something lighter than puppy.
>>
>>57819174
Is Void lighter ? that seems to be a meme though.
Then just go straight for LFS.
>>
>>57819156
it's okay.

have you masked the service and the socket?

post ~/.xsession-errors

what happens when you run mpd from the terminal?
>>
>>57818920
There's a nice pitfall newcomer struggle with.
mpd usually starts a root daemon, which reads configs from /etc/ rather than ~/mpd.
Solution: Configure mpd to be a user daemon or disable the daemon alltogether and start mpd when you need it yourself.
>>57819029
>>Dec 03 09:51 : socket: Failed to bind to '127.0.0.1:6600': Address already in use
This basically means that mpd is up and running, a "it already works, retard"-error.
>>
>>57819189
>have you masked the service and the socket?
i dont know what this means. sorry, this is my 3rd day using a linux distro :)
>post ~/.xsession-errors
again, dont know what this means. when i copy and past that command into the terminal, i get :Permission denied
>what happens when you run mpd from the terminal?
still getting the failed to bind message

>>57819234
>Configure mpd to be a user daemon
configure to where exactly?
or more easily how can i just disable mpd altogether in that case?

typing mpd into terminal is a hell of a lot less work than what im dealing with right now hehe
>>
>>57819274
Why did you even want to install mpd?
>>
>>57819274
>i dont know what this means. sorry, this is my 3rd day using a linux distro :)
I told you what commands you have to run in this post >>57819062

run them with sudo/su
>>
>>57819317
IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FRIEND!
>>
File: 1480029333183.png (5KB, 435x269px) Image search: [Google]
1480029333183.png
5KB, 435x269px
>>57819353
>>
File: 1478775967462.jpg (209KB, 743x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1478775967462.jpg
209KB, 743x1000px
Two Questions

I went from Windows to Gnome one month ago.

Absolutely loving it.

But what's the best way to structure and organize all my files w/ linux?

Interested in optimization and increasing my efficiency. I am also looking for ways to master core essentials master the command line.

Share your primers please.
>>
>>57819475
xdg provides basic infrastructure.

documents go in ~/Documents, music goes to ~/Music etc etc

Of course there will be autist
>>
>copy files around
>just for fun check the SHA1 hash
>it's different than the original

What can cause this? My drive is relatively new. I copied it from an ext4 to ext4 partition using cp.
I just spent 3 hours trying to fix something which turned out to be caused by a "corrupted" file. That's not even the worst thing. I'm worried about future file corruption.
>>
File: 1472909409460.jpg (11KB, 282x260px) Image search: [Google]
1472909409460.jpg
11KB, 282x260px
>>57819475
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>57819498
Reading up on xdg now.
>>57819579
I want to be specific in my definitions.
Already have I installed multiple dictionaries, that I use diligently.
-
So many extremely interesting things here ... So share your primers! So far I've been fanatical in trying and learning new things.
>>
Why is Debian a SJW distro again? I've seen their page for feminism or some shit, but it seems like it was there to shut the retards up. Do they have a movement? I won't switch because of a trivial reason, but I'd like to know.
>>
>>57819730
Just a stupid forced meme.
>>
>>57818834
my networkmanager applet is tripping balls guys.

>NO SSID shown
>Says I am auto connected to my default AP on i3 bar,but all I see is a Disconnect button not telling me which SSID I am connected.

anyone know why this is?
>>
>>57819730
There are two pages on their wiki. "Anti Harassment" and "debian women". Both inactive.
>>
>>57819833

Did you suspend and then resume when that happened?
I'm getting the same and other people too. Apparently the bug was fixed, which it was for me, but then it started appearing again. Check the Arch forums, that's where I saw it and they have a link to the upstream bug report.
>>
How different is systemrescuecd from the official gentoo ISO?
>>
>>57819907
If you mean suspend and resume as in the entire computer to get it to function then yes, or I just restart NetworkManager.service

>bug happens close laptop lid let go in suspend
>open it up internet!!!
>>
File: rly maeks u think.jpg (50KB, 433x469px) Image search: [Google]
rly maeks u think.jpg
50KB, 433x469px
I have enabled netctl profile, when I'm at home it connects fine but when I'm away from home I must wait 90 seconds for timeout. Is there a way to skip that?
>>
I'm trying to install Lubuntu from a USB drive as only system on a empty HDD and the shit keeps bitching with "unable to install bootloader, fuck off and die" so I can't finish the install after that

I'm reading that it might be some kind of permissions issue, there is any command to install the liveusb after loging as root?
>>
>>57819933

No, I mean that the bug happens when you suspend and resume. Suspending again won't fix it. Only restarting NetworkManager and its applet might.
>>
>>57820098
Idk then, it just happens at random, i restart the service to fix it and then it happens again.
>>
It's really bothering me how Ubuntu doesnt save the position of program windows

For example, the terminal always opens up in one of the corners of my screen, even though the last position was, let's say the center of the screen.

Grinds my gears

Also, is there a way to make the terminal a little prettier? Maybe with come colors or something?
>>
>>57819920
It has way more features.
>>
>>57820291
Right click and edit profile prefernces.
>>
>>57820291
Change the window managers. Some of them have a setting to position newly opened windows in the center.
>>
I need to set up scrolling on my touchpad. Is synaptic always the driver used or are there other ones? How can I find out which I have?
>>
>>57820832
xinput list
>>
How to disable every shadow in compton?
>>
Does someone know how to clone an entire Debian server to get it running again in no time ?
> inb4 Docker => the whole server please
>>
>>57821060
man compton
>>
>>57821387
-z don't work, so fuck you.
>>
File: 28905680094_efb14151c4_o.jpg (456KB, 1366x815px) Image search: [Google]
28905680094_efb14151c4_o.jpg
456KB, 1366x815px
how do I set a custom resolution in ubuntu 16.04 using nouveau drivers? For whatever reason my monitor is capped at something like 400x600 (found with xrandr), and this wont let me set a custom resolution at 1920x1080. Even using arandr, I can't set a resolution to anything over (or under) 400x600.

At this point I think I need to write a custom xorg.conf file? But I am unsure if that is the right answer, and I am even less sure of how the fuck to do that. I am using an nvidia gtx 1060 video card if that helps any. Thanks in advance for any advice
>>
I've never owned a UEFI machine before but my desktop boots Windows 10 through UEFI. What do I need to do differently during an arch install to account for this? I've heard that Windows 10 is not that friendly to other operating systems on the same machine.
Will grub and os-probe work or do I need to do something else?
>>
>>57821479
a) read the manpage
b) fuck you woun't help you
c) read manpages before asking stupid questions
>>
>>57821520
not all resolutions are available by default
create a new resolution
set the new resolution
>>
>>57821526
>he fell for the arch meme
>>
>>57821572
I just like it because I prefer minimal installs. Everytime I try another distro's minimal ISO like Ubuntu server or whatever it lacks a ton of basic CLI utils that arch doesn't and it's fucking annoying.
>>
>>57821378
this?
http://clonezilla.org/
>>
>>57821520
>nvidia gtx 1060
Unless they added support for it in the last few weeks Noveau doesn't support your card. Get the propietary drivers.
>>
>>57821602
Looks good.
Thanks a lot Anon !
>>
>>57821520
>nouveau
It's dead. Not only is it using blobs, it's irredeemable shit. You have to go proprietary.
>>
Ubuntu is acting odd and not allowing me to use my headphones. If I go into alsamixer and try to unmute them (everything else can be muted and unmuted freely), they'll be on for a second then go back to mute. What can I do?
>>
>>57821555
i've tried this, I run into an issue where the terminal tells me I can't set a resolution that is over 400x600 or whatever tiny res it's set to by default
>>
>>57821659
Ubuntu is using pulse, so use install pavucontrol, which is a comfy GUI program to control it.
Stop using alsamixer.
>>
>>57821627
haven't been able to get prop drivers to work which is why I'm trying with nouveau. Even with prop drivers that are compatible with my card (367.57 comes with ubuntu 16.04 and is compatible with my card) but it does not work. When I try to install it, I reboot into a frozen boot with a black screen
>>
>>57821652
i've tried proprietary, it just as big of a shitfest as nouveau. Even the nvidia drivers that are listed to be compatible with my card don't work and won't even let me boot
>>
>>57821708
Then you have to fix that. Free drivers are no option for your card.
>>
File: vVLViJ3.jpg (176KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
vVLViJ3.jpg
176KB, 900x1200px
>>57821526
arch wiki goes over it
>>
>>57821587
Just remember that most of those "CLI utils" are arch specific programs that don't even exist on the other ones. I like arch for those tools too, but prefer gentoo.
>>
>>57821800
Like what? pacman?
>>
>>57821837
yeah, ubuntu doesn't have it
>>
>>57821862
How surprising
>>
File: what the fuck linux.jpg (74KB, 559x183px) Image search: [Google]
what the fuck linux.jpg
74KB, 559x183px
>>57821749
hmmmmmmmmmm

ubuntu irc chat seems to disagree with you.

>user2 is me
>>
>>57821837
wifimenu and mkinitcpio and stuff like that.
>>
>>57821880
Maybe since you didn't tell him that little important information you use a GTX1060?

How about you do your own research about if the free drivers even support your card if you don't trust this thread?
>>
>>57821940
>Maybe since you didn't tell him that little important information you use a GTX1060?

was stated above where the screen shot cuts off. My research has led me here
>>
how do I make urxvt properly render ANSI text art?
>>
>>57822070
I already responded to you last thread
>>
>>57821572
>I'm too retarded for Arch but I'll try to post a reply anyways
>>
I'm going to go back to GNU/Linux and want to go full bleeding edge because of KVM running Windows with GPU-Passthrough

Which distro is better for rolling, Arch, or Gentoo? Is there any other alternative?
>>
>>57822463
solaris
>>
>>57822463
Gentoo easily.
Fedora Rawhide is rolling release too, if you'd prefer that.
>>
how do I get kde to not look like crap on a retina display?
>>
Good thread.
>>
So, what is the command to show the directory I'm in?
>>
>>57822513
>kde
found your problem
>>
>>57823180
echo $PWD
>>
If i have a very old motherboard with onboard AMD graphics using Ubuntu

Should I disable Compiz? what would you do?
>>
>>57823180
>>57823189
or just "pwd"
>>
Hello i have some problem with the openbox i use to make some change to rc.xml file to disable all of my title bar. But now when i am trying to put the code back in its gives me an error to the line i have write it. This is the code i use

<application>
<application class="*">
<decor> no </decor>
</application>
>>
has anyone used openshot to make a youtube video? All I want to do is make a video with a static image and music. So I can get everything going fine in the preview but after I export it the audio becomes choppy when played back in a player like MPV. My computer isn't that powerful or anything but should that have any affect on the final outcome? It's not like I have to be rendering the video in real time to export correctly right? So why does it come out choppy?
>>
>>57822513
Get infinality patchset and enable auto hinting
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Infinality
>>
Just tried my very first attempt at installing linux. I chose Antergos as someone recommended it and it seemed to be an alright distro.

Basically, I now have no idea what I'm doing, and am wondering how I should start off, as in what essential programs might I want to download. I chose the GNOME DE and have Chromium already.
>>
>>57823565
do bear in mind that chromium is still botnetted, albeit a lesser degree.
you may wish to pick a music player, like clementine or foobar, and libreoffice for working
>>
>>57823514
>All I want to do is make a video with a static image and music.
just use ffmpeg
ffmpeg -loop 1 -r 1 -i picture.jpg -i music.m4a -shortest -c copy -c:v libx264 -g 7200 -crf 0 output.mkv
>>
>>57823617
I chose libreoffice at installation and I'm only dual booting; I didn't replace absolutely everything (I'm not THAT committed yet). I'll look into music players though.

Any other software that you'd recommend?

Also, I chose to install Steam and PlayOnLinux during installation, but I have no idea what the latter is and I have 2 versions of Steam: "Steam" and "Steam (Native)," of which I don't know the differences between.
>>
>>57823677
Native Steam being the Linux version, will only run Linux games. The other will be ran through WINE and be the Windows version, allowing you to play those games. But do be aware of compatibility issues and it being slower / choppier. If you're looking for a torrent client, Transmission is the best way to go.
>>
>>57823719
Thank you for answering what I assume are mind-numbing questions for you, lol.
>>
>>57823666
thanks
>>
>>57823719
>Linux games
>>
>>57824201
Mark my words. One day all PC gamers will be using Unix based operating systems to play their games.
>>
>>57824201
You called? I play some of Linux. Gog and steam have me covered for a while adn there's always emulation. I sure wish more games were ported, it would be great if Widnows would jsut disappear.
>>
>>57824201
>loadable as modules
>>
>>57819029
>I don't understand what systemctl is

Go back to Windows if you aren't willing to use Google
>>
>>57824380
ya it's called the playstation 4
>>
Just installed Fedora on my main PC, but Wayland is not working. Does anyone knows how to fix it?
>>
>>57824589
>sending people to google
>sending people to windows
are you sure you're right in this thread? this isn't the botnet general
>>
>>57824916
>Fedora
kek
>>
if nvidia doesn't support modesetting will you never be able to use wayland with it?
>>
>>57825028
They'll probably find a solution sometime
>>
>>57824916
>Fedora

*tips
>>
>>57823719
>Native Steam being the Linux version, will only run Linux games. The other will be ran through WINE and be the Windows version,
but that's wrong.

the difference is native doesn't use the steam runtime. that's it.
>>
>>57825466
How does it run Steam then?
>>
>>57825509
It uses your system libraries instead of the included ubuntu ones.

Installing steam-native-runtime will make sure your system has all the libraries needed to run steam natively.
>>
Hi friendly gentoomen, I installed Gentoo on my desktop. Instead of manually configuring the kernel, I decided to use genkernel.

Now the problem I'm getting is frequent USB disconnects at startup, it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting and throwing these messages:
usb 4-1: USB disconnect, device number 64 
usb 4-1: new low-speed USB device number 65 using uhci_hcd
usb 4-1: New USB device found, idVendor=192f, idProduct=0616
usb 4-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
usb 4-1: Product: USB Optical Mouse
input: USB Optical Mouse as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.1/usb4/4-1/4-1:1.0/input/input85
generic-usb 0003:192F:0616.004D: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.11 Mouse [USB Optical Mouse] on usb-0000:00:1a.1-1/input0
usb 4-1: USB disconnect, device number 65
usb 4-1: new low-speed USB device number 66 using uhci_hcd
usb 4-1: New USB device found, idVendor=192f, idProduct=0616
usb 4-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=2, SerialNumber=

Just basically that, over and over. Anyways, the reason it's doing that is probably because, even though I used genkernel, I used the --menuconfig option or whatever it's called to select some changes, despite not knowing what I was doing.

Now when I try to recompile it, both manually or with genkernel, it loads that same config file I used last time that's fucking up the USB connects.

How can I run genkernel with the default options, instead of loading that previous config like it keeps doing?
>>
>>57823719
Curious, why do people recommend Transmission when qBittorrent and Deluge exist?
>>
>>57825509
>>57825550
What I mean is that the steam-native script literally just runs normal steam without the runtime. That's pretty much it. Otherwise, both Steam and Steam(native) are the linux version. It's just the latter uses whatever libraries you have installed.

#!/bin/sh
export STEAM_RUNTIME=0
# Workaround for dbus fatal termination related coredumps (SIGABRT)
# https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues/4464
export DBUS_FATAL_WARNINGS=0
exec /usr/bin/steam "$@"
>>
>>57825589
possibly their trackers don't approve qbit
>>
>>57825552
tl;dr: How do you run genkernel without loading the previous config file you used, but use defaults instead?
>>
>>57825552
I had the same problem, my mouse was broken.
>>
>>57825715
remove the config file in /etc/kernels (?) and then run your command again
>>
>>57825715
>genkernel has overwritten the .config and portage likely didn't add the original config to /etc/kernels/
go to bed and cry
>>
>>57825781
that is definitely the case

probably will just give up and go to bed, I spent over 20 hours on this and for nothing apparently. might even cry, too. boohoo
>>
>>57825757
just did that, now it won't run genkernel at all because it says that the config file doesn't exist lol
>>
>>57825817
now would be a good time to read the docs on configuring a kernel and doing it yourself anon
>>
>>57825832
yep gonna do that. the problem is even without genkernel it still loads those options i messed up before, and I made a lot of changes, and there are a lot of sections that deal with USB so I don't really remember what I did. Oh well, I don't mind fucking around with it again I guess
>>
>>57825803
http://pastebin.com/SB3ZEQiM
here fageet, make a new /etc/kernels/ entry and tell genkernel to run it

copy of my current system, don't expect everything to work
>>
>>57824589
this is a friendly thread friend

i had to act fast because who knows...maybe the guy who was helping me had to leave so i wanted to get as much as i could

either way thanks to his help, i got what i needed and i write all this stuff down to research later exactly it is what i did/commands do

i also mentioned this is my third day on gnu/linux so pls be nice
>>
File: 1469412223335.jpg (102KB, 541x335px) Image search: [Google]
1469412223335.jpg
102KB, 541x335px
when did you realize that source based distros are memes?
>>
>>57826191
when i could install and use uclibc
>>
File: 1462204457310.png (1MB, 1920x800px) Image search: [Google]
1462204457310.png
1MB, 1920x800px
>>
anyone know how to configure apache/httpd.conf so that you can point it to files in your home folder. I'm using Apache version 2.4.23 on Fedora but can't for the life of me figure it out

Require all granted on /, running httpd as the same user I'm trying to access as, but always get 403
>>
>>57826495
Do you have selinux running? Try running "audit2allow -a" (you may need to install the package for this command).
>>
>>57826495
>running httpd as the same user
do you configure
User apache
Group apache

or just run as user
>>
>>57826552
i tried both. was just trying anything to try to get any response besides 403

>>57826541
yeah I do thanks I'll try that. yeah it is SELinux that's preventing me I just noticed. it says httpd attempted to access index.html
>>
why doesn't leenoox just work?
reeeee
>>
>>57827077
cuz yous a nig
>>
>>57827077
Because all the homosexuals in the world keep telling developers (with their wallets) that they want them to develop things for windows.
and those companies in turn put pressure on other developers (even people doing it for free) to get what they need on windows.

If everyone switched to Linux 20yrs ago then it would easily be everything you want it to be today. But nope, they didn't listen to us they just laughed and said "lol but I can play gaem on win so ur just mad", and now they're stuck with win10. So who's laughing now?
[spoiler]Still the windows users, that's how dumb they are[/spoiler]
>>
>>57827166
>spoiler
heh
>>
getting a girlfriend must be easier than making leenoox work, and I can't do both.
>>
>>57827189
Install Debian and hire a hooker. Problems solved.
>>
>>57825589
Because it's a likeable program.
>>
>>57826191
Updating doesn't take that long on gentoo though. It's not like you can't use your PC in the meantime.
>>
File: FF8 map.png (57KB, 960x555px) Image search: [Google]
FF8 map.png
57KB, 960x555px
>>57819475
Just use your /home folder
>>
>>57828051
>FF8 map.png

I love how Ksnapshot automatically adds to your last capture filename.
>>
Current gripe with ditching Windows is how GNU+Linux handles my screen resolution.

I have a dirt old 32" "HDTV" which is 720p/1366x768 native but can also handle a 1080p signal (but it looks like garbage/not integer scaled/etc).
From the Linux side, I have very limited resolution options of 1080p and 720p and other generic 16:9 resolutions EXCEPT 1366x768.

My first attempt at fixing this xrandr and I got something close but not quite. Over HDMI, my TV behaves differently for some reason treating the now obtained 1366x768p resolution in Linux as if it were using the TV's same VGA port (different color/picture settings, auto-standby, etc).
It seems on Windows 7, with Intel HD 4000, it outputs a constant upscales the 1366x768 resolution to a 1080p signal.

How can I achieve this on Linux to the point it'd be no functionally different than Windows?

tldr old hdtv 720/768p native, vastly different response to forcing 768p from linux
>>
DX12 when?

One shit game is preventing me from switching.
>>
Whats the FOSS alternative to cpanel, or the rdtool monitors.
>>
>>57828572
What's the game?

Also why not just dual-boot?
>>
>>57828639
FH3.

Yeah i could prolly dual boot...
>>
question just trying to install sublime via terminal on void. Tried

xpbs-install -S sublime-text3
says it's unable to locate it but the sites package thing says otherwise. http://www.voidlinux.eu/packages/ searched on there if that helps
>>
File: xk1-13.jpg (4MB, 1867x2800px) Image search: [Google]
xk1-13.jpg
4MB, 1867x2800px
what is the difference between a binary distro and a source-based distro? what are their advantages?
>>
>>57828812
>Source packages need to be compiled
>Binary packages can just be installed

Source allows you to not be "version locked" with programs.
Binary allows faster install times on older systems
>>
>>57828875
thanks
>>
>>57828875
>Source allows you to not be "version locked" with programs.
You dont have to be "version locked" with binary either
>>
What benefits would I see jumping from Ubuntu Gnome to Fedora? (Or just *buntu in general) Is it just the package manager more than anything else, or does it have other improvements? What does dnf do better than apt?

(Don't mention free software - I don't care about that.)
>>
Does anybody use OpenSUSE? I've heard it's bloated. I've never heard any defining characteristic about it though. Like Debian is for servers, Arch is bleeding edge, Gentoo is gentoo, Ubuntu is for nubs and people who get really offended when you say Ubuntu is for nubs, but I don't know shit about SUSE.
>>
>>57829145
its as bloated as ur mum
>>
File: 1480467486204-g.jpg (46KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
1480467486204-g.jpg
46KB, 480x800px
Got a laptop with shitty Sis Mirage 3 graphics. Booted Lubuntu, resolution only went up to 1024x768 (native is 1280 I think). Browsed the web but the instructions were for Ubuntu 10.04, any up to date instructions on how to install these SiS drivers ?
>>
>>57829076
fedora is stable as hell and the devs actually give a shit about their distro
only problem is that fedora's default font rendering is A I D S
>>
>>57829165
my mom is fit as fuck fuck you
>>
is there any reason to use btrfs instead of ext4?
>>
File: 1477156432724.png (59KB, 350x290px) Image search: [Google]
1477156432724.png
59KB, 350x290px
>>57829232
my mom is lit as fuck lmao
>>
>>57829183
What goes into getting that fixed?
>>
>>57829275
my mom is ayylmao as fuck anchorbabby
>>
>>57829232
post pics
>>
>>57829276
desu i've never bothered with fixing it, i just went to centOS at the time. i'm sure some nerd has a guide or a script for it somewhere, though
>>
>>57829276
Enabling rpm fusion (free! do not install rpm fusion nonfree unless you're a cuck) and installing freetype-freeworld. Then changing in gnome-tweak-tool to slight rgb rendering. Then you need to enable lcdfilter default in fontconfig by symlinking it.
sudo ln -s /usr/share/fontconfig/conf.avail/11-lcdfilter-default.conf /etc/fonts/conf.d/
>>
Does Fedora xfce come with wayland?
>>
>>57829877
No.
>>
File: 1460684249737.jpg (111KB, 452x680px) Image search: [Google]
1460684249737.jpg
111KB, 452x680px
guise I want to be a linuxfag but I have all this software that I need to run to do stupid work which only runs on windows. none of it has a native linux version, and there isn't linux software with equivalent functionality.

would one in this situation gain anything from installing linux and then doing everything in a windows vm, or is that a stupid waste of time and resources?
>>
>>57818834
What distro do you guys recommend to fit a 60gb ssd for computer fucked up to a tv for web browsing and watching videos?
>>
>>57831026
anything
>>
Is aptik the best way to back settings / installed packages in between wiping and upgrading os versions? Or is there a better way?
>>
>>57831061
back up*
>>
What's the catch with Manjaro? I've been trying it for a little while now, and I'm tempted to make it my first distro.

Pacman is an absolute joy to use, the AUR is lovely, it comes with nice themes out of the box, its installer is the easiest installer I've ever seen for anything, it isn't allergic to proprietary hardware drivers...

But I haven't seen many people using it, so what's the catch?
>>
>>57831049
I need to keep it simple since my mom will use it that why I was asking.
>>
>>57831115
chrome os
>>
>>57831115
Then one of the 'buntus. Personally, I prefer Ubuntu GNOME with the Dash to Dock extension, since it's immediately familiar to anyone who's ever glanced at one of Apple's OSes before.
>>
>>57831089
>I'm tempted to make it my first distro.

Don't pick something based on Arch for your first distro for the love of God.
>>
>>57831140
Why not? I should note that I've also been playing around in Ubuntu GNOME for a while, too, so I'm somewhat comfortable with how Linux does things.
>>
>>57831154

I wouldn't recommend jumping to Arch-based stuff if you're a noobie playing with Ubuntu.

If you want something less noob-friendly then move to Debian, it won't be hard to do so from Ubuntu.

Or if you're feeling curious, I find Mageia has the best casual use/power use/customizability/security for me. Maybe it'll be the same for you.
>>
>>57831186
>I wouldn't recommend jumping to Arch-based stuff if you're a noobie playing with Ubuntu.
Again, why? Is it unstable or something?
>If you want something less noob-friendly then move to Debian, it won't be hard to do so from Ubuntu.
I'd actually argue that, other than the lack of a graphical software boutique, Manjaro is even more noob-friendly than Ubuntu.
>>
>>57831223
>Again, why? Is it unstable or something?

It's more cutting-edge so yes, it tends more towards instability.

>I'd actually argue that, other than the lack of a graphical software boutique, Manjaro is even more noob-friendly than Ubuntu.

Debian has LiveCD Isos you can download and use to install with a graphical interface
>>
>>57831238
Honestly, I'm pretty satisfied with Ubuntu GNOME if Manjaro really is a bad idea. The main advantages I saw in Manjaro were pacman and the AUR. But I can live with apt.
>>
>>57831287

pacman and access to the AUR are definetly big pluses. But it's not something I would personally recommend to noobies. But if you want to play it safe you could always try it out in a VM first and see how it goes.
>>
>>57831338
I've been dual-booting it and Ubuntu GNOME on a test laptop for a few weeks and haven't run into any problems. Though whenever I boot Ubuntu GNOME, it gives me a window saying "System program problem detected" with an option to send a bug report, but I haven't noticed anything working incorrectly.
>>
manjaro is fine for a first distro
it has gui everything and recognizes hardware, plus an easy installer
>>
>>57831410

Honestly, I find that DEs other than Unity are very unstable on Ubuntu. Especially MATE. MATE on Ubuntu seems like it crashes every minute.

I don't know if this is on purpose or not but knowing Canonical it wouldn't surprise me much desu.
>>
>>57818834
Is it just me or did Kbuntu find a new ghetto solution for Kwin crashing?

I now get a pop up that asks me if I'd like to reset Kwin, before I just got a crash and had to restart my computer after it'd happen.

I know there's a keyboard command or something to bring it back up but I'm retarded and lazy.
>>
>>57830715
It's fine actually provide that you have at least 8 gigs of ram.

Imo it can even be kind of nice to have all of your work contained in a VM. Plus you can save the state and reload it in a flash.
>>
>>57831641
% sudo df -h /home 
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/md127p1 5.5T 5.5T 17G 100% /home
% sudo du -sh /home
5.1T /home

~400G has mysteriously disapeared on my btrfs volume overnight
tried rebalancing, currently defragging
anyone know of anything else i should look at?
>>
>>57831957
didn't mean to quote
>>
>>57831527
My coworker has no problems with Ubuntu Mate unless the network goes down (/home is mounted over network, which might be the reason)
>>
when I double click on a program nothing works
linux is a meme
>>
How does one mount USBs?.. I'm on arch+xfce4 and when I plug shit in it doesn't show up in file manager, but I do see it in lsblk.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-12-04_03-00-14.png (4KB, 231x26px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-12-04_03-00-14.png
4KB, 231x26px
could someone explain what is wrong with my wifi?
my machine autoruns nm-applet on start, but it doesn't work for wifi. i have to sudo nm-applet in terminal, connect to wifi there, then exit it. the nm-applet in my panel still displays that it isn't connected, but the wifi will then work
what the fuck is wrong
>>
>>57832155
We don't need any more proofs that even retards can install Arch, thank you.

As for your question, you can use "mount" to mount things including USBs.
>>
>>57832155
>I'm on arch
The only thing that matters.
>>
>>57832068
you dad doesn't work but you still don't call him a 'meme', do you, Tyr(h)one?
>>
>>57832237
>Tyrhone having a dad
wrong meme there
>>
>>57832155
man mount, idiot
>>
>>57832243
you dad doesn't exist but you still don't call him 'VoidLinux', do you, Tyr(h)one?
>>
My xubuntu thinkpad has broken packages and i cant install a bunch of different programs.

I've tried all the shit you're supposed to try in my situation like -f install etc.

WHat the fuck do i do now?

Do i have to reinstall the entire OS?

Neverlinux?
>>
>>57832284
i have fucking one (1!) entry in my sources list.
>>
>>57832284
Should've gone with mint. It doesn't do retarded shit like that.
>>
File: 1449759445874.png (186KB, 1233x957px) Image search: [Google]
1449759445874.png
186KB, 1233x957px
>>57832439
>>
File: 1462743854115.png (38KB, 660x734px) Image search: [Google]
1462743854115.png
38KB, 660x734px
>>57832439
nice meme
>>
>>57832534
Didn't read this outdated bullshit about "muh security"
Mint itself (not the website) hasn't been hacked itself until proven otherwise
>>
File: 1473445833152.png (91KB, 627x722px) Image search: [Google]
1473445833152.png
91KB, 627x722px
>>57832534
delete this
>>
>>57832439
this
if you don't care about being cool in this thread then go for mint
it has the most ready for desktop use feel among linux distros
>>
>>57832439
>>57832597
I guess I'll try it out.

Thanks.
>>
>>57832582
a) the text is not about the backdoored isos nor outdated
b) wat youre referring to as "hacked" is actually "cracked"
>>
>>57832615
it is outdated, I've already seen it a long time ago.
I don't really care since I'm not a "pro linux hacker" who uses "Arch" like you. I just use what works for me and it happens to be mint, I've tried multiple distros though and they are all shit for normal people like myself who couldn't care less about being "hackers on their pro terminal linux"
>>
File: 1472282023363.jpg (84KB, 311x311px) Image search: [Google]
1472282023363.jpg
84KB, 311x311px
>>57832597
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
File: 1473131712894.jpg (49KB, 930x585px) Image search: [Google]
1473131712894.jpg
49KB, 930x585px
>>57832590
You could... I don't know... install something fucking else?

Like one of the other ten thousand linux distributions? You like Mint? Go play with antergos. It's like Mint only it isn't shit and you won't get made fun of online for using it.

You have literally nothing to lose.
>>
>>57832612
be sure to go for cinnamon though, it has the most Mac feel out of all the other options.
>>
@57832639
bad post
>>
>>57832650
>you won't get made fun of online for using it.
Literally the only reason to use something else
Aka not a valid reason at all.
Antergos is nowhere near the "works out of the box" experience. Mint is the only distro capable of this right now and it really just werks.
>>
>>57832651
Yeah, that's what I wanted to do anyway.
>>
>>57832633
Seems as long as you're using it, you will close your eyes and defend it, that's fine, but in order to be able to teach things and make good recommendations, you should lurk moar and realize that Linux Mint is the WORST distro on the market.
>>
>>57832633
>outdated
nope

https://github.com/linuxmint/mdm

https://github.com/linuxmint/mintupdate/blob/master/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/rules

inb4 lies
>>
>>57832689
I've used other distros too so no need for this elitist bullshit about the quote "True Linux Experience"
I'm simply not interested in that
>>57832694
So? They block unstable updates so your system doesn't break
Not everyone is a "pro hacker" who is constantly fighting various imaginary global entities which are trying to hack his unhackable Linux
>>
>>57832633
What actually is outdated is Mints own advantage over other distros of coming with all the codecs you might want.

There is no reason these days of using Mint over the *buntus, but the reasons to not use Mint still apply.
>>
>>57832723
They block programs from updates completly, which means, no security updates til a new version of Linux Mint is released or you disable the blacklist and break your system (which is already broken anyway because of package name highjacking).
Enjoy your dirty cow and other vulnerabilies.
>>
>>57832738
Nope, ubuntues constantly break and are a pain in the ass for an average user to fix
Not everyone is a hacker
>>57832752
That's simply not true, I got a security update this week which must mean you are lying
Why are you doing this? To feel cool about using the command line?
>namedropping cool "hacker slang" like dirtycow
Cool. Nobody cares about that though outside of your little hacker IRCs
>>
If you are a pro command line user - don't use Mint.
If you are just a simple user who doesn't want to constantly fix bugs - use Mint.

Simple as that.
>>
>>57832765
>ubuntues constantly break
Mint is based on Ubuntu
>>
>>57832783
Yes, it's a more user friendly version of Ubuntu with all the crap removed that usually causes trouble for new users. Which makes it a lot less painful to deal with it you aren't a hacker/cracker
>>
>>57832534
>>57832694
If you chose all updates in the Update Manager, you would be getting the same core system updates as you would in Ubuntu. Unless I'm misunderstanding something.

Mint just fucking works, only issues I've had with it are issues that plague Ubuntu as well.
>>
>>57832795
Keep telling yourself that
>>
>>57832782
>If you want to get hacked by some 12 year old kali skidz, use Mint.

>Simple as that.
>>
>>57832765
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/
>>
>>57832802
I will, since it is the truth
>>57832803
Nobody is out to get you, kid
You aren't a top of the line hacker
>>57832814
Looks like you don't get tired of posting the same outdated links over and over again, keep doing it though if it makes you feel cooler for using the command line.
>>
File: minthack.jpg (49KB, 770x577px) Image search: [Google]
minthack.jpg
49KB, 770x577px
>>57832814
>techrepublic
>this fucking image
lmao
good post
>>
Hi guys. I came in a night or two ago and asked for distro recs and I settled on Mint. Just wanted to let you know that everything is still working great.
>>
>>57832847
Oh nooo! Install Arch right now or this guy will Hack your computer!
>>
File: 1468803458747.gif (2MB, 266x199px) Image search: [Google]
1468803458747.gif
2MB, 266x199px
Just found this article https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Linux_Mint
>>
now that the dust has settled, isn't linux mint at least a step up from windows 10?
>>
>>57832534
>implying anyone cares about licensing issues and old software they decided to rename
This is why no one listens to you guys
>>57832898
Most definitely. It'll be good for a few years before you learn enough and feel the need to move on to something more customization.
It won't be because of the bullshit reasons everyone else here seems to believe in.
>>
>>57832659
for >>57832639
>>
Mint is for people who actually want Noobuntu but are too hipster to accept that.
>>
>>57832898
windows gets security updates for its kernel
mint doesnt

windows 1
mint 0
>>
>>57832946
Mint is for people who think only criminals need encryption
>>
>>57832956
>windows gets security updates for its kernel
Does it? How would you know?
>>
>>57832967
I'm pretty sure that Mint supports encryption just like all the other distros
>>
>>57832968
this

>>57832956
>proprietary software
>any security
pick one
>>
>>57832980
That isn't true.
If I write the best security related software and make it proprietary it won't change anything in the security aspect itself
>>
>>57832989
it means that the user needs to trust the developer, which is already a security hole, called MITM
>>
>>57832997
Yeah, that's obvious. but we aren't talking about that since in my example I am the only user
We are talking about how something being proprietary has no direct effect on its security
Most proprietary software has shit security though
>>
>>57832967
Have you even used Mint before or is this just mere banter?
>>
>>57833007
>banter
Wouldn't even call it that. He's just a kid who has learned a """"""programming"""""" language called Python and thinks everyone should use the command line just like him.
>>
>>57832989
>If I write the best security related software
But you won't.
You are a human, and humans make mistakes all the time, especially when it comes to writing complex software.
>>
>>57833022
Did I say perfect?
Something doesn't have to perfect to be the best.
Something completely new is the best by definition since there isn't anything else to compare it to
>>
>>57833043
Security related software has to be secure or it's shit. No one cares which pile of shit is the brownest.
>>
>>57833007
i used mint from 2012 to 2013. its a bretty good distro tb-h.

>>57833018
triggered much?
>>
>>57833063
So in your world secure and perfect is the same?
Some software considered the best right now might have holes from the very first versions which haven't been discovered yet, does that somehow not make it the best right now?
>>
>>57833070
I used Mint from 2007-2016 and it's shit.
>>
>>57833096
cool cool
>>
>>57833070
i used mint from 1966 to 2015 and i agree
>>
>>57833018
>Wouldn't even call it that. He's just a kid who has learned a """"""programming"""""" language called Python and thinks everyone should use the command line just like him.

Haha i am following a master degree right now in bio informatic and math. And our teacher have this mentality. They didn't even teach us object python programming WTF !!! just how to use shell and install mageia disto

fuck my life, i should kill myself and burn my school
>>
>>57833113
bait bait
>>
How do I make a disk group file for nmon in ubuntu?
>>
>>57833096
>57833096
why it s shit sire ? i was about to install it and give it a try.
>>
>>57833130
its edgy to give conflicting opinions
>>
>>57833130
mint is ubuntu painted green with security removed and broken repos
>>
>>57833130
it doesn't do anything through the command line so it's shit
also it doesn't have the latest security you know since government hackers all always out to get you and normal user tier security isn't enough
>>
File: hacker-stock-photo-110.jpg (94KB, 750x568px) Image search: [Google]
hacker-stock-photo-110.jpg
94KB, 750x568px
>>57832847
>*tk tk tk tk*
>*click*
>I'm in.

Don't let this happen to you. Install Gentoo.
>>
Hi linux folk

> Only used raspbian with fuck around pi
> Got a 2015 retina macbook pro for nothing
> Want to put a nice distro on it

Which distro is best for macbook hardware?

Inb4 gentoo
>>
>>57833153
ok thanks. I guess i am going to stick with arch.
please don't throw rocks at me, i am going to use antergos ( i don't want to waste time with the install)
>>
>>57833175
The one I'm using.
>>
>>57833118
>he didn't fall for the OOP meme
Seems like a good guy.
Python is fine for certain cases though, it's just not a programming language.
>>
>>57833169
>it doesn't do anything through the command line so it's shit
oh shit! its 1337H4x0r420, where you been man?
>>
>>57833178
Well, get ready for everything to break on each update.
At least you know that mint exists in case you need a better distro.
>>
>>57833175
Mint is pretty good for a newcomer. But you won't be regarded as cool in this thread.
It's the best in all other regards though (for newcomers)
>>
>>57833018
are you the faggot who was salty about python not being acknowledged as a language
>>
>>57833169
Ok thanks, but i guess it s the same with windws right ?
the cmd is kind of crap imo.
>>
>>57833207
/Thread
>>
>>57833210
yeah, if you care about being a "pro hacker" then don't use mint
otherwise it's pretty good
>>
>>57833178

>apparently in a position to need Arch
>doesn't know which things define a distribution
>isn't "familiar" with the most basic concept or Linux Mint
>just blindly believes everything he sees on here
>>
>>57833208
Why would anyone be salty about a scripting language not being acknowledged as a programming language?
>>
>>57833216
Hey! don't chase them away! we need sheeple for their fur!
>>
>>57833185

>it's just not a programming language.
Wew lad, you're pretty edgy. Those are some really cool and bold opinions, which totally makes you a l33t h4ck3r.

Kill yourself idiot. You're exactly the type of person you described here >>57833018, but too retarded to realize that.
>>
>>57833229
well this guy is >>57833233
>>
>>57833233
Why would I be a "l33t h4ck3r" and why is stating facts considered bold in this thread?
I like python, it's just not a programming language and my appreciation for it won't change that simple fact.
>>
>>57833216
well i ask for people opinion. No one is forcing me to believe you or not. Also i will give a try to everything i can get my hands on.
Tired ubuntu, it sucks ( amazon and shit stuff that i didn 't like)
Tried Kubuntu, didn't like the fact that i have to wait 1 min after each boot to be able to use firefox.
And now, i am looking to try something else and i am asking for advice, yes i am a new comer.
>>
>>57819538

WHY IS THIS HAPPENING REEEEEEEEEE

I even tried rsync and copying it over the network to a different computer changes the file's SHA1 hash.
SEND HELP PLS I AM GOING TO KILL MYSELF
>>
>>57833283
what file is it
>>
>>57833283
>REEEEEEEEEE
Use the memes correctly, dumb redditor.
REEEEE is when you're angry about normalfag failure.
>>
>>57833296
>teaching dumb redditors about the correct usage of our language so they stop instantly outing themselves
nice try, dumb redditor.
>>
>>57833304
you forgot the pep meme thing.
*not saying much, slowly walks away*
>>
File: god_left_me_unfinished.png (4KB, 170x43px) Image search: [Google]
god_left_me_unfinished.png
4KB, 170x43px
>>57833296
>>57833304
how you guys checked out ben's (You) counter? its pretty cool.
>>
>>57833321
post sauce or gtfo
>>
>>57833321
mine says 74
>>
>>57833252

>it's just not a programming language
Stop embarrassing yourself.
Using your own definitions for words and retarded reasoning doesn't make you smart or witty. You are displaying the behaviour of an obnoxious 16 year old edge-lord who thinks he's the smartest person in the world. For your sake I hope that you're actually 16, otherwise that only make it worse.
>>
>>57833336
go find it in the archives fuckboi
>>
>>57833293

An ISO image. I tried creating a tar archive of it, but fucked up the command order (swapped source and archive name), which apparently wrote over the actual ISO file. Now I have to wait 2 hours again to download a 3GB file before I can investigate it or do the things I intended with the file.
>>
>>57833344
>using words like edge-lord
I think you are about 16-17 yourself.
Where did I ever state that I was "smart" or "witty"?
I'm pretty average in that regard. This has absolutely nothing to do with Python though.
I see you like it too but you make up excuses for it being a programming language.
I can only hope this changes when and if you learn other languages which could be described as programming rather than scripting.
>>
File: 23946.jpg (382KB, 2648x2124px) Image search: [Google]
23946.jpg
382KB, 2648x2124px
i've tried atleast three times upgrading my graphics drivers on linux. And every time i've ruined my OS so much that i've had to reinstall it.

What the fuck is wrong with this shit?

Just tried to upgrade the intel drivers on my thinkpad an now every window is completely white.
>>
Just switched to my first Linux OS couple days ago, and I'm loving it.

What software should I use for video? I want good coverage of formats, a nice interface and if possible scene release playback without extracting the .rar.
I'm also interested in music player alternatives for Clementine, which I'm using right now, I'm not entirely satisfied with it, but it's fine.

Thanks.
>>
>>57833391
>regularly switch between nouveau and nvidia drivers
its just you, breh
>>
>Python is a programming language that lets you work more quickly and integrate your systems more effectively.
https://www.python.org/

>Python is a widely used high-level, general-purpose, interpreted, dynamic programming language.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Python_(programming_language)

>Welcome to Google's Python Class -- this is a free class for people with a little bit of programming experience who want to learn Python.
https://developers.google.com/edu/python/

>A scripting or script language is a programming language that supports scripts...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scripting_language

>The term "scripting language" is also used loosely to refer to dynamic high-level general-purpose languages, such as Perl,[2] Tcl, and Python,[3] with the term "script" often used for small programs
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scripting_language#cite_ref-3

>1) In computer programming, a script is a program or sequence of instructions that is interpreted or carried out by another program rather than by the computer processor (as a compiled program is).
http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/definition/script
>>
>>57833321
>https://gist.github.com/anonymous/87fd522f99760f1aac4f65df8c834052
>jquery
nice botnet
also isn't this a rip off of https://github.com/WhatIsThisImNotGoodWithComputers/All-time-You-count 3?
>>
>>57833411

Meant for >>57833365
>>
>>57833393
mpv is literally the best, it doesn't have the greatest interface in the sense that it has very little of it. There are front-ends though which change it.
Try out Cantata, it's written in Qt though so look up how to configure Qt programs to not look like shit in Gtk based systems.
>>
>>57833411
/fglt/ REKT!
>>
>>57833411
>using the developers themselves as a valid source of truth on their project
Nice one.
>wikipedia
didn't even read past this. Nice try though, got me to reply multiple times.
>>
>>57833424
whew salty
>>
>>57833393
>Linux OS
Linux is just the kernel, the complete system is GNU (with Linux added)
>>
>>57832659
look at >>57833454
>>
>>57833442

It's not the developers, you idiot. It's the vast majority of people from that field.
You can try to bend the definitions for your pathetic reasons, but you cannot change what's generally accepted by everyone out there. All you're doing is being pathetically pretentious, which you do because you think it makes you smart and knowledgable in that field (t. arm-chair psychologist).
>>
@57833454
bad post
>>
>>57833486
for >>57833454
>>
>>57833484
I see, so if enough people accept something it makes it true.
Great reasoning there.
You're a good troll though, got me to reply a lot.
>pretentious, smart and knowledgeable
also nice usage of totally meaningless words, I haven't pretended to be anything here, that's just your conjecture.
>>
>>57833484
>knowing basic facts is considered knowledgable and smart
lmao
is this really how bad its gotten in this thread?
>>
>>57833486
for >>57833484
gtfo with your fake programming
>>
>>57833534
4 >>57833486
>>
previous thread: >>57833540
>>
>>57833546
cool, we're going back in time?
>>
File: 1405453675071.jpg (17KB, 411x292px) Image search: [Google]
1405453675071.jpg
17KB, 411x292px
HELLO,

I seriously need help.
I installed ubuntu on my main desktop a few months ago, but was too lazy to set everything up properly and all/most of my data is on my SSD now and my 2TB HDD isn't even used.
Now I have 5GB left on my SSD and thought about MAYBE I finally should move different folders to the HDD.

How do I do this? I don't want all of /home on the HDD, because I'd like to keep fast access on /home/documents

I just want to outsource folders like
/home/pictures
/home/videos
/home/someothershit

how do I do this and still keep a symlink (or something like that) to home folder, so I can easily access them?
>>
>>57834371
see >>57833546
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.