[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why this fucking form factor still exists? There are m.2 and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

File: SSD 2.5 inch C400.png (576KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
SSD 2.5 inch C400.png
576KB, 800x534px
Why this fucking form factor still exists?
There are m.2 and msata drives with capacity up to 2TB. Why producers still waste space inside mobile devices for 2,5" form factor? WHY?
Answer me /g/
>>
ぬるぽ
>>
it is a good pocket size dimension that still follows the standards
>>
>>57816447
It's 7 times bigger than mSATA standard, which deliver same capacity, same speeds, much lower power consumption and almost no heat.
>>
>>57816424
Because standards.
If you used some oddball form factor, it's not going to fit into anybody's shit.
>>
Because not everyone has expendable NEET bucks to spend on the Next Big Black Thing.

People are not going to buy a new computer or a caddy to fit something that they don't need to buy.
>>
>>57816462
Do you think people will buy a new laptop just for a hard drive?
>>
>>57816470
I'm talking about why computer producers still keep 2,5" bays in laptops, not why drive producers still produce 2,5" drives. Learn to read, nigger.
mSATA drives are on the market since like 2005
>>
also dont forget the size of the connectors
>>
>>57816486
People upgrade laptops because of CPU, GPU, RAM capabilities. But I'm pretty sure they wouldn't mind having mSATA drive inside their new laptop instead of full 2,5" sata
>>
>>57816500
Nigger, what is your point? We need big connectors inside mobile devices? Why?
>>
>>57816511
People upgrade laptops because their old one broke. Step out of your consumer whore /g/ bubble.

And besides even if they did buy a new laptop for the hardware specifications the size of the hard-drive is not important enough for most consumers for manufacturers to cater to them en-mass.
>>
>>57816549
People want their new laptops to be thin, light and portable. Having 2,5" bay inside such construction doesn't help
>>
I have an M2 drive, but this is a terrible poorly thought out form factor. I wish they would have put the contacts on the side so you could fit it like RAM. It's just so wasteful to have it parallel with the motherboard. Meanwhile, you can fit 3 2.5" SSD in 1 5.25" slot.
>>
>>57816424
Because there's no demand. Simple.

SSDs back in 2005 were both a luxury and something people couldn't trust yet.
Plus, the 2.5" factor is good to let a few people try the newfangled SSD and gain their trust
So, therefore with SSDs in low-demand, laptop manufacturers won't bother to make products which only use SSDs.

Looks like to this day laptop manufacturers still won't bother with it. Because there's people who still want the pain of HDD kek
>>
>>57816573
>5,25"
>thread about mobile devices only
>>
>>57816579
Anon, there is a demand for thin, light laptops. Why do you think there is such a boom on ultrabooks?
Not to mention convertible tablets (let's say, dell venue 13 or surface). All use mSATA/m2 type SSDs only.
>>
>>57816582
Embed the SSD? You don't need M2 for this.
>>
>>57816590
Just because there's a demand for thin, light laptops, doesn't mean there's not going to be a bunch of companies who still pander to a bunch of retards who still want a HDD for their laptop.
>>
>>57816599
>SSD dies
>buy a new laptop
>>
>>57816603
ok, so basically that's because people are fucking retarded and still want cheap HDDs inside laptops.
Great, I'm going to kill these motherfuckers right now
>>
>>57816632
Ultra thin laptops aren't meant to be user serviceable. You still have a keyboard and screen which will take up realestate as well. The space savings isn't worth removing 2.5" bays for M2.
>>
>>57816710
>Ultra thin laptops aren't meant to be user serviceable.
Except that's wrong, you fucking retard.
Even 10" tablets have standard m2/mSATA SSDs, not to mention much more expensive laptops.
>>
>>57816462
>almost no heat
>meanwhile 950 pro keeps overheating
>>
>>57817019
>samshit
>exploding phones
>exploding washers
>exploding smartwatches
See difference?
>>
>>57816922
What cherry picked example have you found for me lad?
>>
>>57817047
any surface pro
dell venue 13 (any model, even atom based ones)
pretty much any windows-based convertible tablet
>>
File: dejiko.jpg (49KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
dejiko.jpg
49KB, 640x480px
I bought an ssd for my laptop and had to break the casing in half to get it to fit in the harddrive bay, I had to pry it apart with my pocket knife. After that, it fit in place and close it up just fine.

I am quite proud of my ingenuity.
>>
>>57817135
You fucking savage
>>
File: 00101upset.jpg (519KB, 1281x1281px) Image search: [Google]
00101upset.jpg
519KB, 1281x1281px
Because most modern computers that aren't glued together ultra-thin laptops have the capacity to support the 3.5 inch form factor.
Why are you asking questions with obvious answers?
>>
>>57819099
2.5 inch. Whoops.
>>
>>57816424
I have that drive, it's pretty good.
>>
>>57816424
Many computers still have bays for 2.5" drives
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.