[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BLOAT THREAD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

File: whoa.png (3MB, 3286x1080px) Image search: [Google]
whoa.png
3MB, 3286x1080px
Whoa, /g/ you were right about Ubuntu being bloated as fuck.

How do you keep bloat to a minimum?
Best practices in addition to >install gentoo/kevinOS?
How do you de-bloat?
>>
The best way to debloat is not to install bloat in the first place so a minimal distro is your best choice. Arch if you don't care about muh systemd boogeyman, otherwise Gentoo for OpenRC.
>>
>>57811866
You mean like Solus?
>>
>>57811866
So at this point if I want to de-bloat and am not familiar with the weeds of my system, I just have to install a new distro, huh?
>>
>>57811713
remove firefox
i am browsing with epiphany now (gnome web browser) and it uses 160 mb

firefox uses about 300 to display the same page

Also use
 apt autoremove 

and consider getting rid of unity desktop environment for a lighter desktop like gnome shell (medium weight), xfce (light) or just use a window manager and DE, openbox is very good.
>>
File: autoremove.png (346KB, 1106x929px) Image search: [Google]
autoremove.png
346KB, 1106x929px
>>57812406
Thanks, anon. I've moved to Chrome for the speed, so not sure if removing Firefox will help too much. Removing Unity should be helpful, though, but I was thinking about moving to i3 again (used it some years ago, and kinda miss fiddling around the .conf file and having that amazing Ctrl + D shortcut right there).

Autoremove didn't do much for me atm, but I'm considering it.
>>
>>57811713
>Ubuntu
>bloated
if you mean processes that's your DE, Unity. Ubuntu is 'bloated' if you want to call it that. it comes with more programs than a minimal debian installation
>>
File: 3d.jpg (12KB, 190x200px) Image search: [Google]
3d.jpg
12KB, 190x200px
>>57812493
I stand corrected.
>>
sudo apt install lubuntu-desktop
log out
select lubuntu/lxde
enjoy your no bloat
>>
>>57811713

Unity is cool but bloated as fuck go for cinnamon or xfce.
>>
>>57812512
don't do this. your multiple monitors will be broken as fuck. i know from experience. LXDE is no longer maintained. the team is working on LXQT now
>>
>>57812541
I used LXDE ~2 yrs ago for the last time on a dual monitor setup and it was OK, but haven't tried it since. Too bad it's abandonware if what you're saying si true.

>>57812540
Are you using Cinnamon or XFCE? With dual monitors? Share experience regarding resource management/monitors, pls.
>>
>>57812595
>I used LXDE ~2 yrs ago for the last time on a dual monitor setup
I used it for a while and it wasn't able to properly set 2 different wallpapers and the icons didn't work on the 2nd monitor with pcmanfm. It worked but was buggy as shit.

XFCE is pretty decent, lightweight. XFCE or Gnome are the only ones I like after using them and LXDE+Unity
>>
>>57812621
Interesting, thanks for sharing. Got any experience with i3?
>>
File: disasterreaction.png (54KB, 179x161px) Image search: [Google]
disasterreaction.png
54KB, 179x161px
>>57812541
>multiple monitors
Literally useless. Learn to do window management.
>>
>>57812633
I'm running this on a 1366x768 14-inch T420 display. Why would I want to use an external 1080p monitor?
>>
>>57812662
*wouldn't
>>
>>57812633
>I don't like the feature so it's OK for it to be broken
Typical freetard trying to convince himself he likes to use broken shit. I use one monitor currently but have tried 2 before. Power to anyone who likes to use 2.
>>57812632
Yeah i3 is cool. It's definitely a different desktop experience than a fully integrated and set up DE. Super light weight but you have to do a lot of stuff yourself and you don't get any help like you would in a DE. In a DE things are organized for you, all the programs work well together and there is easy settings management. i3 is fine if you prefer that, but more work and tiling windows aren't ideal for applications the majority of people use. I'm sure it's great if you spend all day in vim and lynx. AwesomeWM is pretty cool too.
>>57812595
>Too bad it's abandonware if what you're saying si true.
I actually just looked it up and found this update on the LXQT website:
>LXQt was first supposed to become the successor of LXDE one day but as of 09/2016 both desktop environments will keep coexisting for the time being.
LXDE is still somewhat abandon ware though. I've ran into more bugs than on any DE and unless they did some major refactoring of pcmanfm dual monitor setups are still broken as fuck.
>>
>>57812727
>broken
What's broken is multimonitor. Enjoy nothing staying where you want it to and shit randomly losing a screen all the fucking time. I've tried using multimonitor on so many configurations and desktops (even fucking Microsoft Windows) and it's all a huge fucking failure.

Use one goddamn monitor and learn how to fucking use windows properly.
>>
>>57812727
> tiling windows aren't ideal for applications the majority of people use

Yeah, that's a key point there. Most of my work for example is text editing, and general browser shit, so i3 should be fine. Haven't thought about AwesomeWM, desu, and I've never used it before, but I'll take a look. Thanks.

>>57812759
So you'll ignore the 1366x768 14-inch vs a larger 1080p screen thing? Aight.
>>
>>57812759
Multi monitors work fine for me on Windows and XFCE. I've only ever had a problem on LXDE. Sounds like you're just fucking retarded bro.

But maybe if you REEEEEEE more your OS will be less broken. Keep trying.
>>
>>57811713
Ubuntu is crap but I don't understand what "bloat" your screencap is trying to convey. Having any "full-featured" browser open is going to eat up your RAM, watching youtube in-browser (whether using HTML5 or flash (adobe or pepper)) will spike your load, and any DE will add a whole mess of processes and usually some expensive eyecandy as opposed to using a standalone WM. Running KDE, GNOME, Xfce, MATE, Cinnamon, or whatever else on any system will produce the same results.
>>
>>57812811
>Ubuntu is crap
Name one reason besides muh freetard and muh 100mb extra installed programs bloat
>>
>>57812835
too easy to install
>>
>>57812835
bundled commercial adware, unity, fixed release cycles are retarded, completely insane package structures (metapackages? come on now...) that lead to dependency nightmares, the dumbest user community on the internet, having a different default DE warrants a separate distribution because why not
>>
>>57812480
is your name petko?
>>
>>57812977
>bundled commercial adware, unity
use a spin or spend 30 seconds and do sudo apt-get install gnome xfce4. Unity is ass. Ubuntu is still the best desktop distro though.
>fixed release cycles are retarded,
programs are always pretty well up to date for me with few bugs. much more up to date than debian stable but not so new like debian testing where things are bugged. great driver support out of box and great installer.
>completely insane package structures (metapackages? come on now...) that lead to dependency nightmares
I've very rarely had dependency issues with apt. Never on Ubuntu and maybe once or twice on Debian. Have you?
>the dumbest user community on the internet
you are lying if you don't google errors and find solutions in Ubuntu forums. convenient as fuck. also that's like saying
>arch has the most autistic community on the internet so don't use arch
not an argument

not swayed in the slightest bit. Ubuntu is still the best IMO.
>>
>>57812980
yup
>>
Guy just use ubuntu with cinnamon ffs.
>>
>>57813211
>that's like saying
>>arch has the most autistic community on the internet so don't use arch
which is also true and it's a perfectly good reason not to use arch. distros attract certain communities for a reason, and the communities rub off on the distro. also since most "desktop"/general-purpose distributions are community supported, that's who you have to help you.

>I've very rarely had dependency issues with apt. Never on Ubuntu and maybe once or twice on Debian. Have you?
I have not used any Debian-based distros in years but on other systems I've mainted for people, I've had dependencies/repositories break down on Debian, Ubuntu, and Mint.

>great driver support out of box and great installer.
for people who cannot look up proprietary drivers on their own, or need a script to automagically set some absurd default settings for your partition layout/bootlader/whatever since you don't know enough to care about it, sure. can't argue wth you there.

>Ubuntu is still the best desktop distro though
if you define "best" as "most widely-used and therefore more third-party vendors choose to provde support/packages specifically for it" then sure, but that's usually what i consider "best"

>not swayed in the slightest bit
i don't expect/want/care to sway you, my original post was about not understanding what you were referring to as Ubuntu-specific "bloat" since, again, all DEs, browsers, etc. eat up resources no matter what OS you run.
>>
Just do a minimal install
>>
>>57811713
Debloating is very freaking hard with pre-cooked distros like Ubuntu, unless you install Ubuntu server. Once you know exactly what packages you want you'll be surprise how minimal and how little ram you need to spend.

No, give me that Calvin & Hobbes wallpaper nou!
>>
>>57813433
>for people who cannot look up proprietary drivers on their own, or need a script to automagically set some absurd default settings for your partition layout/bootlader/whatever since you don't know enough to care about it, sure. can't argue wth you there.
heh right on m8. fuck those faggots who want their operating system to just work. you know what else pisses me off? those faggots who want some script or program to automagically edit their images for them with an interface and don't just use a hex editor.

fucking normies am i rite :^) we r the true enlightened ones here
>>
File: 1386317951914.png (4MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1386317951914.png
4MB, 1920x1080px
>>57813536
reverse image search is pretty on point now.
>>
>>57811713
No need to debloat. Minimal net install is your friend.

And you're installing Xubuntu or MATE, right?
>>
>>57813683
>those faggots who want some script or program to automagically edit their images for them with an interface
all irony aside, using a "full-featured" GUI image editor to do simple operations like cropping, resizing, and other minor adjustments is pretty stupid when you can do that from the command line with ImageMagick
and opening audacity or some other program to make minor adjustments to sound files, or convert formats, or record audio is also pretty stupid when you can use sox to do that from the command line.
and using a graphical "sticky notes" application is pretty dumb when you can just
echo some shit i need to remember > notes/remember-some-shit

or
echo - stop being a complete faggot >> notes/TODO

and who needs a graphical calendar when you have cal?
or a graphical calculator program when you can use bc or (if you're a complete degenerate) python's REPL?

but no, you'd rather just complain about bloat, right?
>>
>>57813860
yeah sure if you're a masochist me i like to sit in my chair all comfy with my clock, my graphical calendar, lay back browse 4chans with my mouse and have a pleasant looking comfy interface
>>
File: IMG_20161203_004355.jpg (178KB, 2478x3222px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161203_004355.jpg
178KB, 2478x3222px
>>57814344
>needing a clock on your computer display
>not having a standalone timepiece
>mfw when it's 00000:101011:101100
>>
>>57814490
you have a binary wristwatch
p sure that makes you a massive faggot
>>
>>57814532
that's not a wristwatch, it's a desk clock. what do you think i am, some kind of faggot?
>>
>>57814654
yes
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.