[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

do people unironically use active directory?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

File: Cx-6dhNXAAAyF4i.jpg (30KB, 480x474px) Image search: [Google]
Cx-6dhNXAAAyF4i.jpg
30KB, 480x474px
do people unironically use active directory?
>>
Name an alternative you fucking pleb
>>
>>57809055
OpenLDAP
Apache Directory
Open Directory
>>
>>57809028
Yeah we use both LDAP and AD at work. LDAP is a pleasure to work with compared to that proprietary MS horseshit
>>
>>57809028
Do people ironically use anything?
>Hahaha, look at me I'm using Software X! It actually sucks, butt I'm working with it all day, every day and am free to use something better. LOL!
>>
>>57809028
yes, people and businesses need active directory to manage roles on their network. don't want any unauthorized user from getting to shares and files they don't belong in
>>
>>57809234
All shit.
>>
>>57809347
>Do people ironically use anything?
Most of /g/ uses Windows ironically
>>
>>57809626
>need active directory
>>57809234
>>
>>57809028
Ever worked a job in your whole life?
>>
do people unironically use computers?
>posted from my iPhone
>>
>>57809672
Most of /g/ lives ironically.
>>
All the networks we manage are windows server domains with AD so yeah, using it unironically.
>>
>>57809028
>do people unironically use active directory?

>Do people have jobs in actual businesses?
>>
>>57809028
What's it like having never worked literally anywhere outside of fast food?
>>
Sometimes I watch plebeian flicks ironically, like Avatar or Bat-Man, or listen to Rap so me and my friends have something to laugh about.
>>
>>57809028
What is a corporation?
>>
>>57809647
Excellent point there. Very detailed answer; your reasons for why you think they are shit has backed up your point.
>>
OpenLDAP
>>
Because none of alternatives are equal to it, especially when you are doing with thousands of machines
>>
>>57810254
See
>>57809234

These are fully capable of handling thousands of terminals.
>>
>>57809028
Like every single company in existence
>>
>>57810271
but when you are running thousands of windows machines, you cannot get the quality and ease of use of group policy management than what AD gives you
>>
>>57810455
But the alternatives offer a better experience when administering hundreds/thousands of terminals as opposed to AD. Policy management doesn't mean shit when you've got mixed OS terminals.
>>
>>57810407
When I interned at Red Hat, they didn't use Microsoft Active Directory.
>>
>>57810529
Fair enough but it's pretty self explanatory why, vast majority of companies do use it though
>>
>>57810540
>moving goal posts
Just a few minutes ago it was every single company in existence
>>
>>57810513
but in the real world, the vast majority businesses are windows shops, which is why active directory is so popular.

and since you can integrate linux devices like switches and routers, you can manage those through AD as well
>>
>>57810584
dunno why you're trying to start an internet argument using the fallacies meme desu

it was an exaggeration and you know exactly what i meant
>>
Don't you know /g/ is a bunch of hermits living in an imaginary bubble where everyone is using libre software and linex.

Did I mention most of them are NEETs or never had a job?
>>
>>57809028
I took some classes in it at work so I can make fun of these Microshill douches in my neighborhood. I'd never use it unironically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMAXj26Z9W8
>>
>Why do businesses use this proprietary garbage when there are better open-source alternatives available?

Businesses really like the idea of paying money to make something someone else's problem. This is why Windows and expensive MS support contracts are common. This is why Oracle exists at all. They want something as close to idiot-proof as it can be made, so that they can hire the minimum amount of people necessary to set it up and run it. Hiring people is a huge pain, in addition to being expensive, and that goes double for technical roles. So to avoid having to find skilled people to design and run their systems, and then worry about managing and retaining those people, they want to pay money to have someone else worry about it, wherever possible.
>>
>>57810792
It's a much better idea to pay for support and have something that is extensively documented than it is to find someone who will act as a developer to waste time on inane bullshit because 'its open source' and therefore you have to do everything yourself.

You obviously have never worked a real job.
>>
Active Directory actually does its job incredibly well.
To the point where even Mac workshops use it.
>>
>>57810741
I spend a lot of time working with linux but we still use windows & AD for the corporate and dev networks (run vms on dev network) because it's the better choice, everyone knows windows, companies aren't just devs, there are also lots of people doing hr, accounting, etc.
>>
Mediocre always wins

VHS vs. Betamax
Microsoft vs. GNU
Pop music vs. Intelligent music
The 7 highest grossing films are Avatar, Titanic, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Jurassic World, The Avengers, Furious 7 ---- all garbage or popcorn material AT BEST
50% of the population of below average intelligence.
>>
>>57811501
>50% of the population of below average
>50%
>below average
>>
>>57810633
Samba4 works with mixed environments
>>
>>57809028
What is a well supported and documented alternative that just werks that is suitable for large corporations?
>>
File: 1469600827742.jpg (46KB, 536x536px) Image search: [Google]
1469600827742.jpg
46KB, 536x536px
>>57809234
>being this naive
>>
>>57809876
Underrated
>>
>>57809234
lmao try deploying these then talk. Got an issue with AD? Call microsoft. Got an issue with all this open source garbage? Look around on the internet for hours only to find fatass linux wiseguy answers that don't actually solve anything. gg m8 your authentication environment was down the entire day and now your butt is kicked out onto the street where it belongs.
>>
>>57811670
Do you understand the fucking point?
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.