[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what is the consensus on opensuse?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 12

File: Opensuse-logo-gow.sh-600x600.png (58KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Opensuse-logo-gow.sh-600x600.png
58KB, 600x600px
what is the consensus on opensuse?
>>
It's definitely a Linux distribution.
>>
File: 1465042827321.png (120KB, 2000x1433px) Image search: [Google]
1465042827321.png
120KB, 2000x1433px
>>57808865
It looks nice with KDE. I'm really tempted to install Tumbleweed as my main Linux OS over Christmas.
>>
>>57808865
My main OS
>>
It's pretty nice, one of the better distros I've used.
>>
>>57808865
How to install codecs?
>>
>>57809197
1) Add the needed repositories:
zypper addrepo -f http://packman.inode.at/suse/openSUSE_Leap_42.2/ packman
zypper addrepo -f http://opensuse-guide.org/repo/openSUSE_Leap_42.2/ dvd

2) Then install the necessary packages:
zypper install k3b-codecs ffmpeg lame gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-ugly gstreamer-plugins-ugly-orig-addon gstreamer-plugins-libav libdvdcss2

3) You will be asked if you want to allow vendor change for some packages - allow it.
>>
>>57810338
>dvd
wtf
>>
>>57810368
?
>>
>>57808865

bloated.

Thew package manager is asinine.

You would have a terrible gui configuration which required multiple windows. For instance thier gui update tool.

Whereas arch for instance had the pacman gui that you could update, install, etc.

It was so crazy to me. But people talk about how they like it.

It was buggy as hell. I opened up a bug report and a suse rep blamed it on the stock market, jesus, the price of wheat trading.

I left it.
>>
Great ditro. The package manager, Zypper, is second to Pacman, but you don't have to deal with Arch's bullshit.
>>
What's a suitable lightweight user-friendly distro suitable for everyday use?
>>
i fucking hate Yast, they duplicate a bunch of settings that are in other places (for example font config settings are in both KDE's settings and in Yast) and I don't know which to change in order to get things to work

their installer is trash.

they are one of the only distros that ship a polished KDE desktop though, so they have that going for it.
>>
>>57808865
never once was able to install it bare metal. The isos literally never booted to the installer, tried it in a vm and seemed ok but the yast was messy to me.
>>
>>57808865
their logo is god tier but every time the cute logo motivated me to install it I always give up half way because I don't actually give a fuck about the distribution they just have a cool logo
>>
>>57810837
This
>>
>>57808865
the package manager is horrible. if i try to remove some of the useless preinstalled apps then it depends on something that i actually need. also sometimes the updates break drivers and it takes weeks for them to fix it.
>>
>>57810696
how lightweight?

Look at the Ubuntu community versions, they are easy to install. Lubuntu is the lightest and most barebones. Xubuntu is a good compromise, ubuntu & ubuntu-gnome & kubuntu (kde version of ubuntu) use many system resources.
>>
File: 450px-SoftManage1.png (98KB, 450x295px) Image search: [Google]
450px-SoftManage1.png
98KB, 450x295px
Opensuse is cool and yast is too

Mageia have a good config manager too but they strugle so much to deliver the last version :/
>>
Running Tumbleweed right now.

Great KDE integration, for whatever that's worth. YAST is really nice, if a bit ugly. (Let me tell you, being able to search for packages is useful.)

Snapper (the system snapshot utility) seems cool, but I've never needed to use it. In fact it uses BRTFS for the / partition (which includes /tmp for... some reason?) and XFS for the /home partition. I haven't lost data or anything yet, so that's nice.

That being said, the thing about bleeding edge Linux is that sometimes you get the short end of the stick.

About a year ago on this install KDE slowly fell apart into a non-functional mess where it would randomly freeze up the entire computer. Eventually fixed that by mucking about with packages.

Then, somewhat recently, I couldn't update my system because everything wanted QT 5.8, which I couldn't upgrade to without breaking half my system. Solved that by removing some obscure QT library that nothing used except MuseScore.

What I'm trying to say here is that Zypper kinda sucks. But the rest is great.
>>
>>57812692
that's why i use Leap, I want a stable system
if I want an newer version of something I download a tar.gz, and KDE 5.8 is good in his state
>>
>>57808865
It's not for me personally but I've checked it out and I certainly wouldn't laugh at people for using it like I would with most other distros.
>>
>>57810338
you use SuSE?
that's fucking hilarious m8
you realise that the "first" version of SuSE was Slackware translated into German, right?
>b-b-but slackware never contributed to Linux
you would not have your opensuse if it wasn't for Pat Volkerding and his patches & install scripts.
>>
>>57812876
that's funny to see how opensuse is god tier now and slackware is still shit
>>
File: 1430702029954.png (182KB, 256x286px) Image search: [Google]
1430702029954.png
182KB, 256x286px
>>57812917
>>
>>57812876
Are you seriously going to compare slackware and openSUSE/SLES' contribution to Linux?

Probably not going to end up good on s**ckware
>>
>>57812983
if you consider that SuSE was created from Slackware, then technically every contribution made by SuSE is a contribution from Slackware
>>
>>57812998
Gay-lussac's law (P = kT) was derived from Avogadro's law. Now if you were to give a Nobel to Lussac, give one to Avogadro as well since his law derives from that of Avogadro's
>>
>>57813074
if you're so smart how come you are not aware that the Nobel Prize is not awarded posthumously and Avogardo died 45 years before the first one was awarded?
>>
>>57813128
Read again
>If you were to
>>
>>57808865

It's just another systemd forced adoption distro that flies in the face of decent traditionalist init distros like Slackware and Gentoo.
>>
>>57813141
If you were to have any actual arguments, you wouldn't have to resort to irrelevant hypotheticals.
Chemistry is a load of bollocks anyway, not even a science, just catalogueing and cookery
>>
File: Screenshot_20161203_144339.png (28KB, 763x220px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161203_144339.png
28KB, 763x220px
>>57813223
Bye
>>
>>57813223
And by the way Lussac's and Avogadro's laws are not exclusive to chemistry.

In fact there is a very little difference between chemistry and physics. Not like I expect a retarded liberal arts computer ""science"" student to understand
>>
>>57813261
>liberal arts computer ""science"" student
joke's on you, I never even went to college.
>>
>>57812998
Thats dumb no need any arg
>>
>>57808865
It's silly to use btrfs considering that it's slower then ext4
>>
Probably the best distro. I'm on leap 42.2.

Yast is fantastic for those who don't have autism and want to avoid the shit out of editing random files or copy pasting commands from google into the terminal to get something done.

Zypper just weeks.

KDE implementation just werks its the only KDE 5 implementation that werks desu. Fedoras KDE spin was horrific.

Its a really fucking good underrated distro. The people who hate it likely used 13.x or whatever before it became leap 42.x or they're using bleeding edge tumbleweed.

Ive had opensuse on my laptop and home server for a year now. No complaints.
>>
>>57813548

u can use ext4 or xfs too, the default partitionning if btrfs for / and xfs for /home though
>>
>>57813591
Look at KDE Neon. You get new versions of Plasma even before Opensuse and it's stable as fuck. I greatly prefer Ubuntu's packages to every other distro.
>>
>>57813591
>the only KDE 5 implementation that werks
My kid sister is doing pretty fine with alienBOB's ktown packages for Slackware
>>
>>57808865
openSUSE is like Blackberry: everyone knows it's good but for some reason nobody uses it
>>
>>57812998
If you consider that white people came from the Africans of thousands of generations ago, then technically every contribution made by white people is a contribution from niggers
>>
>>57813441
What's the difference
>>
>>57813635
yeah I use it before going on suse, but I've had always the fear that KDE will broke after and update
suse leap have KDE 5.8 LTS so it'll fine for years
and yast > all for someone who don't want to learn the .conf way
>>
>>57813670
also I'm not >>57813591
>>
File: TheosOuro.jpg (35KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
TheosOuro.jpg
35KB, 250x250px
>>57813654
>he actually believes the mainstream propaganda about human evolution
>>
>>57813724
stay on your containment board, filthy goy
>>
It's now my go to distro. I've used it exclusively for about nine months with little complaints.

Zypper, the package manager, is second to Pacman.
>>
every fucking day i wanna change of distro.

but i'm good with my ubuntu/cinnamon stop playing with my feels /g/uys.
>>
I dunno. I might be able to form an opinion about it if it had a live environment like literally every other distro worth talking about (aside from Arch and Gentoo).
>>
>>57814153
There is a live CD iso on the site faggot
>>
>>57808865
Great rolling release distribution if you use tumbleweed with their integration testing. Innovative reproducible package builds and they push the boundaries a bit (one of the first stable releases to use btrfs as default).

Overall very good and the fact that it isn't a Kevin shill distro makes it that much better.
>>
Don't know why you don't like zypper guise. Yes it's a little bit slow, but it has the comfiest syntax and shortenings. And when you're searching for packages it shows you which are already installed. I miss that thing in apt.
>>
>>57810338
This kind of retardation is why nobody takes Linux on desktop seriously. God...

Fuck... In arch you just need gstreamer plugins that probably are a dependency of your player.
>>
>>57815757
Are you retarded or something?
No seriously. are you THIS much retarded?
>>
>>57815757
>This kind of retardation

He literally gave copy + paste commands.

Could you please elaborate on THE FUCK YOU MEAN?
>>
>>57813635
Looks like a solid distro anon but im done distro hopping for a while. Plus im not sold on stuff based on Ubuntu since I don't like where Ubuntu are going with the whole Unity and Mir thing. It seems like the Linux ecosystem is going one way and Ubuntu wants to go a different direction because reasons. Which means everything based on it will have to go that way too.
>>
>>57815757
>search "opensuse codec" on google
>first page
>clic on the big red button to install

yep even a CS engineer can't do that easily
>>
I installed tumbleweed and Firefox is still on version 50.0. Not even the latest stable release.
>>
>>57815905
yep the lastest stable is 50.0.2 D :
>>
>>57810837
The logo made me buy a chameleon.
>>
>>57812917
>the benevolent dictator for lifetime

Alienbob for president!
>>
>>57815905
>unironicaly still using Firefox
>>
Did they fixed backspace under Gnome?
>>
>>57808881
>Linux
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
File: re.png (234KB, 550x419px) Image search: [Google]
re.png
234KB, 550x419px
DON'T REBOOT IT JUST PATCH
>>
>>57808865
underrated casual distro (in a good way)
if i was to recommend a distro to someone new to linux, it was be one to consider
>>
>>57816007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYRlTISvjww
>>
>>57810368
just a name, mane
that repo has the libdvdcss
if you're into watching dvd's
>>
>>57814174
Not anywhere I can find it.
>>
>>57815962
pls don't confuse Patrick Volkerding and Eric Hameleers. the former is BDFL, the latter is alienBOB
>>
>>57816344
>implying i confused anything
>>
>>57808883
what exactly do you enjoy about kde? especially how it looks. i installed opensuse kde today actually just to try it, quickly switched because i disliked everything. i thought it would look like the screenshots which looked like an uglier but charming windows 7, but i got an ugly material design
>>
>>57816627
it's the more complete DE in term of fonctionnality/customisation
>>
>>57815794
on windows they just work by default. on license autism os i need a internet connection to get those codecs because some distro dev does not like them.
>>
>>57816918
good, stay on windows then
>>
File: 2020years20of20suse-11344598.jpg (903KB, 2700x2025px) Image search: [Google]
2020years20of20suse-11344598.jpg
903KB, 2700x2025px
>>57816918
on windows you pay for them
unless u r a pirate arr
but businesses and such really do care about licences and stuff
>>
File: openSUSE.png (336KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
openSUSE.png
336KB, 1024x768px
>>57808865
Irrelevant as fuck.
>>
>>57816297
>Not anywhere I can find it.
You must be stupid
>>
>>57817299
Apparently I am. The only Leap 42.2 downloads I can find are the 4.7GB installation medium and the network installation. I can find Live CDs for older versions of openSUSE, but that's it.
>>
>>57817321
leap does not have an official live cd
ignore the ignorant
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.