[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, I know how we programmers always claim that being solo in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

So, I know how we programmers always claim that being solo in the business is fun and all. But I'm reaching a point where my projects and workload is starting to get scrambled up and I'm realizing that my project organization absolutely sucks. There's nothing better than having someone else over you to manage it all and others to take up tasks you can't do.

I'm thinking of returning to the industry in terms of working for someone else because it's tough trying to do everything by myself. I get stressed over something that has nothing to do with code, and then I'm suddenly distracted from my project cause I have to deal with something else. How do you more experience programmers deal with this, or are you happy just working for the man and just coding whatever they tell you to?
>>
>>57808002

Well, if you want to be lone wolf, you need good tools.

"Getting Things Done" is pretty decent to not get distracted by everyday stuff. I also have a boner for agile development, which works pretty good for single developer.

The main problem is to really force yourself to use your tools. It takes some weeks where you will go on and off, but if you push through that and keep your discipline it really makes life easier for you in the long run.

But yes, being a wagecuck has definitely it's advantages. I like both worlds, currently I'm working part-time as well as freelancer.
>>
>>57808100
How did you get a part time coding job?
>>
>>57808115

With a little bit of luck.

I am working at my old company where I was working full in the past (and boy did I let them drain me), but long story: some things happened and right now they still need me while I don't need them so much anymore.

I guess it won't go on like this for ever, and honestly I don't really like working there anymore, but it's OK since I know how things work there.

If you aim at working part-time, that's the way I would do it:
Go full power for at least 2-3 years and than you just put your cards on the table. Some are willing to make an exception, some are not. I guess it help if you have good reasons so they can cover their ass against their chefs.

But if you don't take risks or be straight with what you are willing to do (or not), then industry will fuck you balls-deep. I've seen a few good guys burning out and eventually it's mostly the "assholes" that get along well. Don't be an asshole, but be straight and don't back down. If five people leave a company because certain reasons, mgmt will think about changing things.
>>
>>57808238
Sounds about what happened at my old job. Unfortunately, because they clocked me by the hour, I had to fudge some working hours just to get bearable means of income, esp when I finished work earlier than anticipated. But it didn't help they paid me at the same rate one pays a five year employee at some min wage firm. Glad I got out of that job.
>>
>>57808439

Too many companies are shit. But there ARE good companies out there, really. Not perfect, but good ones. The problem is most people are so glad they have a job they just don't care if their soul slowly burns away. I'm not willing to do this anymore.
>>
>>57808504
I'm currently trying to get my business going making software that'll sell enough to keep income coming in so I keep doing it. But it's tough sometimes, especially when your library increases. Then you have to choose what gets priority and what shouldn't, and whether it's worth it. Sometimes I wish I can split myself up and do multiple tasks, but in reality, this is what I have to deal with. At the same time, finding competent people to do business with is hard, too. Everyone is out for themselves and a lot of people just suck in general.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.