[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Boot Camp

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

Any merit to coding boot camps? AppAcademy's promise of no cost until employed with examples of 6 figure salaries as a web developer seems pretty legit... Convince me of a better path
>>
File: Unknown-2.jpg (10KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
Unknown-2.jpg
10KB, 275x183px
>>
>>57796338
Learning for 72 hours weeks for 3 months has some positive results I'm sure.
>>
>>57796338

Clockboy got old fast.
>>
>>57796338
This copy/pasta is about coding, but applies to "bootcamps" as well.
---
"Coding" is over. It was a fad for Starbucks-drinkers. For ~2 years, it has been very hip and fashionable to go to a "coding bootcamp" and take selfies with HTML. 2 years is enough time for anyone to figure out that this is a total and complete waste of time. This is why the Starbucks-drinkers themselves have recently started distancing themselves from coding bootcamps.

"Coding" is not programming. Anyone can code. A monkey can code. It takes mental effort to go from a useless "coder" to a genuine programmer, and Starbucks-drinkers are not capable of putting in mental effort that goes beyond drag-and-drop. Programming means taking the time to solve a particular problem. You cannot cut-and-paste or drag-and-drop a solution to a unique problem, so Starbucks-drinkers cannot program. Cut off their internet and a simple for loop will stump them, which is why the hilariously easy FizzBuzz test is so good at weeding out HTML-selfie-takers.

Coding is over. Coding bootcamps are over. Programming lives on. You want to learn programming? Stop taking HTML-selfies and pick up a programming book.
>>
File: Unknown-3.jpg (11KB, 208x212px) Image search: [Google]
Unknown-3.jpg
11KB, 208x212px
so could i construct a similar study program if i was committed and expect similar results? is this program merely offering a disciplined approach with evidenced results? doesn't sound too bad if you can come out with a decent salary and only have to be quasi-indentured for a year...
>>
File: Unknown-4.jpg (12KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
Unknown-4.jpg
12KB, 225x225px
>>57796414
so the six figure job promises are just luring, going through a bootcamp such as theres wouldn't result in a decent job after 3 months? they offer skills like ruby on rails and a few more, but it would require more to be marketable for jobs? the only reason i propose this (likely ignorant) opposing view is because the offer seems too great to be true
>>
>>57796456
For life in general, anything that sounds too good to be true, is. This applies even more when you talk about online.

Here is the thing: Some people are naturally good at programming, some people are not. For the people who are naturally good at programming, some of them learned programming, and some did not. If you are naturally good at programming, and you did not study it before, and you are free for 2-3 months, and you go to a coding bootcamp... you will benefit greatly. Not because the bootcamp is going to turn you into a good programmer, but because you are a naturally good programmer who needs a minor push.

For the other 95% of the population, you either know programming already, or you are not a good programmer. What is a bootcamp going to do for you, in either case?
>>
>>57796499
To elaborate on this:

Is there a "violin bootcamp"? Where you learn the violin in 3 months, and get promised a 6-figure salary in an orchestra after you "graduate"?

Is there a "dentistry bootcamp"?

How about an "accountancy bootcamp"?

Why do people believe that you can pick up the programming skills needed to make 6 figures in 3 months? Because there are a few dozen people who did that, out of a few hundred thousand who enrolled? Do we look at the 99.9% to see the normal results of a bootcamp, or the 0.1%?
>>
File: Unknown-5.jpg (8KB, 194x259px) Image search: [Google]
Unknown-5.jpg
8KB, 194x259px
>>57796499
I also find truth with that general life statement.

I think your response is informative and interesting. I think I may fall into the category of needing a minor push, and am just now starting to actually explore the science beyond reading about it.

My situation does involve having some free time to develop my skills,

do you think a bootcamp may offer the tools or push I can to practice and become proficient to the level promised?

I feel like and hope it may come naturally to me but am unsure. Again your post does a decent job of explaining the thing and any more insight would be appreciated.
>>
>>57796548

I would say no to the majority of your questions, with the only similar idea to bootcamps for these topics being a college degree..? As I am currently enrolled in a non-cs degree and do not have further plans at the moment in receiving a degree within cs, can bootcamps be seen as a somewhat similarly structured alternative?

truth be told i fucked up a bit in college and have a poor gpa and am unsure if I'm even enjoying my major, and am looking towards computer science as an interesting path to explore alternatively/simultaneously. Any other better options? I understand self study can work.
>>
>>57796572
Why not learn programming... for free, online?

-Most (nearly all) the major development environments are free.
-Many programming books are free
-Tutorials, guides, and documentation are free
-There are many programming/development communities who are active, helpful, and happy to give you that push... for free

If you feel that programming can come to you easily, give yourself a timetable to make use of your free time, and study and practice. Do that, for free, before you enrol in a bootcamp.
>>
thanks for the inspo
>>
>>57796669
i guess my only question would be - these style bootcamps may offer some validity or merit on a resume to employers, but i understand one may be able to build similar credentials/portfolio through exercises such as contributing to open source software and/or freelancing... could 3 months of working on my own while doing those practices put me in the same light as a coding bootcamp graduate
>>
>>57796615
Adding CS skills to your non-CS degree will give you a better opportunity for a job, and wider scope when searching. For programming in particular, you might want to try checking out the following places, as suggested by Google:

-khanacademy
-codeacademy
-coursera

Ask the /wdg/ thread for more advice. If you can self study, I have more copy/pasta regarding "how to start learning programming".
>>
>>57796705
Copy/pasta:

So you want to learn programming?

Pick a starting language. For beginners, there are generally two recommended "programming families" that you can choose to start learning:
-Dynamically typed/interpreted programming languages, such as: Python, Perl, Ruby
-Statically typed/compiled programming languages, such as: C, C++, C#

These are amongst the most popular languages in use worldwide, including 4 from the top 5. Both approaches are perfectly fine, and well-documented.
-Dynamically typed programming may be a bit more flexible, convenient, and forgiving. It is more popular in academia.
-Statically typed programming is a bit more suited for making general applications. It is more popular in industries.

Cannot decide? Flip a coin.

If you choose statically typed/compiled programming, you may want to start with C, then pick up C++. C is very well documented, and teaches many universal programming concepts. C++ is based on C, and adds new concepts. Sources:
For C:
The C Programming Language (K&R)
C Primer Plus (Prata)
http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/c-tutorial.html
http://www.learn-c.org/

For C++:
http://www.learncpp.com/
http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/c++-tutorial.html
http://en.cppreference.com/
https://isocpp.org/faq

If you choose dynamically typed/interpreted programming, you may want to start with Python. It is very easy to pick up. Here are some good sources:
http://www.learnpython.org/
http://www.codecademy.com/en/tracks/python

>BUT I WANT MORE SOURCES!
Read: https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources

>BUT I WANNA START WITH [language x] INSTEAD!
Sure, if you like. But the languages above are considered good for beginners.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE A COOL WEBSITE!
Learn HTML, CSS, and Javascript.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE iPHONE GAMES!
Learn Objective C and/or Swift.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE ANDROID GAMES!
Learn Java.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE PC GAMES!
Learn patience.
>>
word. healthcare major and can do my own research re: , but any areas/languages to gravitate towards as time goes on? I'm sure specializing and niching will come with time and is a long way off, anyway
>>
>>57796716
Any good ide for C? I want to learn C but don't know any good ide
>>
>>57797013
Anything you like. For a beginner, the differences are insignificant. I like DevCPP, but /g/ prefers Code::Blocks. If you are a masochist, you can always torture yourself with Eclipse or NetBeans.
>>
>>57797056
Why Dev-C++ over Code::Blocks, and why either over Eclipse, Netbeans, or even IntelliJ?
>>
>>57797056
Thanks.
>>
>>57796368

60k with an unrelated degree isn't bad
>>
>>57797073
For Windows, it is the easiest to install and configure. I do not know IntelliJ, but NetBeans and Eclipse are very heavy for someone wanting to get started with C.
>>
>>57796456

Keep in mind that the six figure jobs they speak about are in San Francisco, New York City, etc... Making 100k in those places is like making 30k in the midwest.
>>
>>57797056

Have you ever tried PellesC

http://www.smorgasbordet.com/pellesc/

I've heard good things but I am only a novice myself.
>>
Who was that kiddy diddler from reddit. He had a very good tutorial on programming and C, unfortunately he got sent to prison and killed himself so hes the kiddy fucker hitler of programming.
>>
Should I learn C to make cute games like that one girl in Stella no Mahou?
>>
It will get you a job, even a well paid job.
>>
>>57797267
>>57796456
This about as hard as possible. Go on zillow or any housing site and compare prices.

Only exception because it's a technology job - if you can land a remote position, or if you live there for a couple months and convince them to let you do it remotely, you could move to a cheap area and get paid city pay.
>>
>>57796548
The difference is that the actual programming courses us university fags actually did can fit into a single semester. Most of a university degree is math and stuff people almost never will see in the industry. Coding camp teaches more than enough for most jobs.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.