[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is an 8gb video card worth it? I plan on upgrading eventually

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 1477672933709.jpg (456KB, 1665x1044px) Image search: [Google]
1477672933709.jpg
456KB, 1665x1044px
Is an 8gb video card worth it? I plan on upgrading eventually but I'm only playing at 1080p.
>>
>>57792603
Yes, textures are only getting larger.
>>
For 1080p no.
Totally unnecessary.
>>
>>57792628
Majority of textures in modern well written engines are compiled and cached on disk and loaded on the fly, you don't need ginormous amounts of ram on the card because SSD are lmaofast now.
>>
>>57792603
>1080p
4GB rx470/gtx 1050ti is enough for you
>>
>>57792674
>Majority of textures in modern well written engines are compiled and cached on disk and loaded on the fly
Ok and where do you think they go? SSD isn't nearly as quick as RAM, either.
>>
>>57792750
My fucking GTX 750 ti 2GB can play DOOM on Ultra you are a dumbass, please stop giving advice .
>>
>>57792762
Why would you buy a Texas Instruments videocard wtf
>>
>>57792762
Doom doesn't have particularly large textures. Not having enough VRAM means it will load from your drive as you move through areas, reducing performance. Of course you have no idea what you're talking about, so you're just going to keep going on and on trying to insult me.
>>
>>57792603
THICC
>>
>>57792799
Except it doesn't lower the performance you dumbass.
>>
>>57792833
Just as I predicted.
>>
>>57792854
Only because you know I'm right. A 2GB and 4GB card is going to perform basically the same in a game like DOOM.
>>
>>57792674
But one day 8gb cards will be ubiquitous, and then game engine developers will optimize software to also store huge textures on the card, and fall back to disk caching if there's no room.

There might not be a need now, but game producers need to bump up graphics requirements in any way they can, to get people to buy the latest AAA titles.

You don't need a high memory card right now, but it will become mandatory in the future. If you plan on keeping your PC around for a while, why not buy a future-proof graphics card?
>>
>>57792710
Why not 480?
>>
>>57792870
If that were true, all that really tells you is that Doom has small textures.
>>
>>57792900
No.
PCI 3.0 x16 provides like 16GB/s of bandwidth, if the immediate requirements of the scene are only like 500MB it has literally no effect on performance. You don't understand what you think you fucking know.
>>
>>57792932
Ok Jordan.
>>
>render a medium scene with LumenRT
>check gpu-z
>6.2 GB VRAM used

Glad I didn't fall for the 1070 meme
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.