[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

chairs are ground level technology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

File: 1593_original.jpg (49KB, 271x235px) Image search: [Google]
1593_original.jpg
49KB, 271x235px
Why doesn't anyone build a recliner specifically for PC use? I can't be the only one who finds a full built in leg rest and thick soft padding to be vastly more comfortable than the thin hard padding on high end ergonomic chairs? I can't even sit in those things for long without wanting to die.

>lol just put a mouse and keyboard on a normal recliner

I've done this but it's far from ideal. The angle of your wrists is wrong and it gets uncomfortable. You'd want the ability to adjust the arms.

>just get one of those things that looks like it's out of a scifi novel

They're really not comfy either. Not enough padding and no or poor arm support.

There would be a huge market for this. A regular old recliner modified to percectly attach a monitor and kbm.

Let's kickstart this thing reddit!
>>
A mixture of consumer inertia and small market. Most people are content to sit at desks/tables to use desktop computers as the surface also provides space for other things/activities, whereas a recliner does not. Beyond that, most people who want recliner-level comfort while they do computer stuff are usually just going to use a laptop with a pad for heat mitigation.

There's not much of a market for a desktop recliner.
>>
>>57790878
>ground level technology
>>
File: 20161030_142639-1.jpg (3MB, 2236x2236px) Image search: [Google]
20161030_142639-1.jpg
3MB, 2236x2236px
The mouse is comfy enough with a wide armrest, the keyboard is ok on the lap but if I need to be productive I am far better off at a desk. It makes a great sim when I roll the wheel setup in front.

Good luck with your kickstarter, almost nobody seems to care, just look at how unpopular comfystatiom threads are
>>
Just use a good car seat on a base. Car seats are more highly engineered than any chair. I bolted a car seat to an old power recliner base and have the best of both worlds. Keyboard and trackball go on lap. Life is good.
>>
>>57790878
>Why doesn't anyone build a recliner specifically for PC use?
I don't see how you could sit in a proper position for productivity and actual work, not to mention having more than 1 monitor either wouldn't work or would be weird as fuck. A nice, large desk and a good chair are perfect for me. I can use a computer for hours without discomfort and it's much more practical.
>>
I seriously wonder why we don't just have what are essentially containers filled with heated gel for seats and beds yet. Everything related to chairs seems to be bad for you in one or more ways, the only possible way of not fucking up some part of your body while sitting or sleeping is to be suspended in something.
>>
File: molds-mercs1.jpg (56KB, 660x484px) Image search: [Google]
molds-mercs1.jpg
56KB, 660x484px
>>57793568
The apollo astronauts had seats molded to their bodies.

The problem with this is that the molds have a uniform hardness but the body has softer or harder areas.

They use special pressure sensor devices in orthopedics to create orthoics that are not only shaped to the topology of the body, but also softer where the body is hard ad harder where the body is soft in a conisous gradient. Something like this could be combined with the apollo seats to create a seat that exactly mirrors your topology and the homogenous nature of your body.
>>
>>57793761
This sounds really expensive, but on the other hand it also sounds like the last chair you'd ever need if you shaped your desk and inputs around it.

I wonder if it's actually feasible to have something manufactured like this for commoners.
>>
File: 443e454e5435.jpg (169KB, 1260x378px) Image search: [Google]
443e454e5435.jpg
169KB, 1260x378px
>>57793761
continuous gradient*
>>
>>57793822
You can get molded insoles for your shoes for $50, same principle.

The problem is you need some way to a 3D scan of someones back side as they are sitting. Ideally also a pressure reading at enough points to get a decent resolution.

Technically it's doable, but the market probably isn't there to support it financially.

Also, if you got fatter or something like that, you'd need a recast.
>>
I'm perfectly happy with my current chair, a steelcase leap that I bought secondhand from an office furniture warehouse in perfect condition. Been using it 3 years and it should last 10 more easily. Plus the back reclines as far as you want it to with variable tension.
>>
>>57790878
>not buying a tall desk so you can stand and work
>>
>>57791588
it's shit
>>57793452
it's shit
>>57793761
sounds decent
>>57793929
it's shit
>>57794393
it's shit
>>
>>57790878
Because I want this walking desk instead so I can be productive, OP. I don't like the idea of becoming a fat piece of shit.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.