[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /g/, what are the pros and cons of MacOS, Linux, and Windows?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: image.png (229KB, 512x214px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
229KB, 512x214px
Alright /g/, what are the pros and cons of MacOS, Linux, and Windows?
>>
macos
crap

linux
trash

windows
shit
>>
>>57788603
Everything is shit
>>
with Windows you can do everything
with Linux and MacOS you cannot

prove me wrong
>>
install gentoo
>>
>>57788614
/thread
>>
windows: garbo
linux: garbo
macOS: perfect
>>
macos
pro: Easy to advertise to other people that you are homosexual
con: Impossible to hide homosexuality, everyone knows you are one if you own one of these.

linux
pro: Full control and as easy or hard to use as you want. And you can make it look and function exactly how you want it.
con: Few games

windows
pro: Muh Games
con: Spyware, slow, bloated, difficult to use for beginners, not very intuitive, spends lots of resources purely on spying on you so you need to get better hardware, forced updates and restarts.
>>
>>57788687
>difficult to sue for beginners
>bloated
We've come a long way since Windows ”4MB RAM" 95
>>
File: RMS.jpg (17KB, 350x465px) Image search: [Google]
RMS.jpg
17KB, 350x465px
>>57788656
you can't be free if you're using Windows!
>>
>>57788721
Compared to Ubuntu then Windows is diffiult for a beginner. Put some grandma who has never used a computer in front of ubuntu and another one in front of windows 10 then you will see the linux user is much more effective. I know this because I have introduced computers to people from the older generation. And when they use windows they have all sorts of problems and I would need to do all sorts of technical support (show them how to do the simplest thing). But give them ubuntu and nobody complains, people seem to be able to figure it out themselves. At least people who don't do anything fancy with it.
>>
>>57788867
Funny you mention this.
We have a linux box on a production work floor to do part pull requests.

These people have never once seen linux or ubuntu.. Never once have these people had a problem using said machine.
>>
Windows: Gaems
Mac: few gaems
Linux: no gaems
>>
>>57788942
Linux stereotypes is still 20 years behind. Never seen anyone have a real problem running or installing Ubuntu. Even installing software is easier, phones, apple and even microsoft now have copied Linux package managers which is basically a form of "app store". It's not really alien to anyone unless they try to permanently try to change key bindings using xmodmap or other detail work.
>>
windows: it just works
linux: need a engineering degree
mac: who cares lol
>>
>>57789107
You need a engineering degree if you are trying to run a DE on Nvid/amd card with like 2-4 monitors.
>>
>>57788656
what is Wine?
>>
>>57789074
There's over a thousand on steam for Linux and there's PlayOnLinux

Retard confirmed
>>
Pro
MacOS: Less hardware to target. Good AV programs. Usually just werks
Linux: Targets all hardware even if the vendors don't like it. 101 programs to do the same job. Old hardware well supported.
Windows: MS Office and Videogames. Hardware vendors forced to support

Cons
MacOS: Mac tax. Fewer programs. Less hardware supported. You do not own your own computer. iOS takes center stage
Linux: Proprietary vs open drivers causes confusion. Higher learning curve. Doesn't do DRM without jumping through hoops.
Windows: Is the biggest target for hackers. Alters settings and programs now without asking. Reinforces the reality that you do not own your own computer.
>>
>>57789493
>>57789458

wine works properly only with the most trivial applications

try to run ms office on wine without problems
>>
OP here, how good is linux for muh gaems? Is SteamOS shit?
>>
>>57790135
if you want to use your computer for gaming mainly just install windows, and spare everyone stupid questions on support forums and /g/.
Steam OS gets lower fps compared to Ubuntu every time phoronix cares enough to benchmark it.
Some games work better/comparable to windows, most are really shitty ports with close to none optimization, few are "wine ports" that don't work well desu.
>>
File: irony.png (197KB, 419x419px) Image search: [Google]
irony.png
197KB, 419x419px
>>57788603
OS X is very locked down but it's still a 'nix so if you like those kind of environments then I recommend it I guess. Good for media creation, but the hardware is retardedly expensive for no good reason other than looks.

Linux is good if you don't mind running into problems every now and then and if you love the command line. If you "like" Linux for other reasons than the command line, you aren't in it for the right reasons. And no, freedom doesn't count. If you're contributing to softwares' development then I'm all for it, but using it just for the reassurance that you're on a secure OS which respects freedom and privacy is ridiculous IMO.

Use Windows if you don't care and just want something that works. It's a jack of all trades, master of none.
>>
>>57789554
Libre

Office applications are in browser now
>>
>>57790135
Terrible desu.
I dualboot Windows and KDE neon and if I really feel the need to play games (even if they're native on Linux), I always switch over to Windows because proprietary drivers are such a pain in the ass.
>>
>>57790135
linux is decent for using console emulators, playing low requirement games / open source games and many windows games (through wine)
if you want to play something recent you have a big chance of being fucked, either by not having a linux port or by the graphics driver being way worse than in windows with 99% of graphics cards
>>
>>57792600
>OS X is very locked down
No.
>>
>comfy
>supports all programs you need
>unhackable

also it has a cute window theme •ᴗ•
>>
>>57792601
Libre is shit and google docs is a laggy shitfest
>>
>>57788603
Windose pros:none cons:all
Macos pros:fuck cons:off
Linux+GNU pros:awesome cons:none
>>
>GNU/Linux
unix-like, free as in freedom
>Mac OS
unix-like
>Windows
literally nothing about it is good :(
>>
>>57790135
over 2000 games on steam are supported
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.