[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do sites keep doing this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1

Why do sites keep doing this?
>>
>>57786531
because people wouldn't donate otherwise and using that kind of phrasing puts it in perspective how even little contributions can go a long way

except it doesn't really work for archive like it does wikipedia
>>
>>57786531
Because you retards keep giving them money.
>>
i'd be pretty upset if the internet archive died, but i'm destitute level poor, so too bad.
>>
>>57786531
Because nobody wants or even knows how to sweat for their daily bread. Life in the 21st century is about begging, not earning.
>>
>>57786648
sweating doesn't get you bread anymore. it gets you some money to buy a sleeping bag when you're inevitably homeless.
>>
>>57786659
Then you're not sweating hard enough.

And yes, I know we're talking about contributions for the internet archive, which is free for everyone and is being done out of pocket by someone else and needs contributions to survive.

What I'm talking about is that I see beggars *EVERYWHERE*. And not just beggars. People at work mooching off of others. Mooches everwhere.

Nobody in general wants to work anymore. Honestly the poor seem oddly happy. What a charmed life they live: They get up at 10 am, not a care in the world, go to the rich part of town to beg, where they get more money. Smoke weed and drink all day and night, enjoy life without any responsibilities and deadlines with EBT's and benefits up the wazoo.

I don't remember this level of begging back when I was a kid.
>>
>>57786766
>>Then you're not sweating hard enough.
Not going to read past here. Working hard and Financial Success/Freedom/Stability/Subsistence are not coupled like they were long ago. You can easily do literally backbreaking labor in a warehouse and still be under the poverty line. That's the case for pretty much any job you can get without have a network of people, and education, or some sort of certification saying you can do some job.

Hard work often times won't get you a managerial position.
Hard work often times won't get you into any university worth shit.
Hard work in university often times won't get you a decent career.

At this point, it's basically relegated to how well you did on the die roll when you were born. Only rarely do people defy the path that was set for them at birth.

If you're referring to the homeless epidemic, it is caused by the above, but also because of the abysmal mental healthcare in this country (unless you're wealthy). A very significant percentage of beggars and homeless wouldn't be so if they had access to adequate treatment (http://www.nami.org/Learn-More/Mental-Health-By-the-Numbers). If you've ever been inside a community mental healthcare center, you know that it is underfunded, staffed by idiots, and the treatment is just worthless.
>>
>>57786876
>Hard work often times won't get you a managerial position.
>Hard work often times won't get you into any university worth shit.
>Hard work in university often times won't get you a decent career.
>At this point, it's basically relegated to how well you did on the die roll when you were born.

That's pretty defeatist, bro.

Take it from a looser that started working at Walmart out of high school. I went from $7.50/hr to just under $19/hr in the span of 4 years of modest effort before I left.

Even if it's "dead end", you get good references to get a better job.

University is the only half-true thing that you wrote. Busting your ass there only works if you're focused on becoming an expert in your field rather than on your GPA, then transferring that knowledge into a portfolio of some kind, like published research papers. Something to show employers you aren't average.
>>
>>57786531
If everyone reading this gave me $10000, I'd be rich right now.
>>
>>57786531
Sites need money and adblockers are growing in popularity.
>>
>>57786876
>A very significant percentage of beggars and homeless wouldn't be so if they had access to adequate treatment

I keep hearing this and I refuse to believe this.

I believe it has more to do with their upbringing in their childhood, which these days is definitely not what it was 50 years ago. You cannot deny that the western world had way more fortitude back then. This has a domino effect not just seen by all the lazy people but also rude people, people that are literally too stupid to use revolving doors, people who can't spell their own names, etc ...
>>
>>57787136
>Sites need money
NO! They don't *need* money, they *want* money.

If you're going to do something out of the goodness of your heart, then do just that. Stop begging!
>>
>>57786531
People use adblocking now, ads aren't very profitable anymore.
>>
>>57787209
It costs money to maintain. Every good cause costs money as well. Stop being 12.
>>
Just add
archive.org###donate-banner
to your filters in uBlock Origin.
>>
>lets start a service that requires PB after PB of storage
>and insane servers for all the access
>wait, this costs how much?
>gib mone pls

Why would you do something like this without thinking about how you're going to pay for it?
>>
>If everyone gave us $100,000 we would stop donation drives forever
>>
>>57786531
>talking like everyone has $50 to spare to some shitty website

check your privilege faggots
>>
>>57787195
>I keep hearing this and I refuse to believe this.
>I refuse to accept the evidence (that has been verified multiple times) right in front of my face
Well, can't argue with that. I would call you stupid, but in this case it's just willful ignorance because the truth challenges the beliefs you have spent so long harboring.
>>57787056
>I went from $7.50/hr to just under $19/hr in the span of 4 years of modest effort before I left.
So you make slightly more (maybe less) than $30,000 annually? That's still Working/Lower class, but at least you're above the poverty line there.
Still, you probably got that position because of reasons other than hard work. Busting your ass in WalMart isn't going to make you a manager; it's just going to make you stupid.
>>
>>57787404
>Busting your ass in WalMart isn't going to make you a manager; it's just going to make you stupid.

Lazy! No wonder there are so many poor people!
>>
>>57787404
>>>A very significant percentage of beggars and homeless wouldn't be so if they had access to adequate treatment

>>I keep hearing this and I refuse to believe this.

>I refuse to accept the evidence (that has been verified multiple times)

Um, how about no? It has not been verified multiple times? How do you just pull random stuff out of the air like that?

If by adequate treatment you mean take a poor lazy person with a horrible upbringing (parents never disciplined them) and just put them into the hotel hilton where they get waited on hand and foot by an endless stream of nurses and psychologists by telling them what they want to hear and how the world was unfair to them, well then maybe , yeah, that might get them off the street. But it's by no means "proof of a cure for laziness".
>>
>>57787404
>So you make slightly more (maybe less) than $30,000 annually?
Was, yes. I used the references I built there to get a much better better job. You (usually) can't start out at the top of the totem pole. Everything is a stepping stone job/career wise.

>you probably got that position because of reasons other than hard work
Such as? I didn't suck anyone's dick or take one up the ass... I just wasn't lazy, and made sure to get along with everyone and not gossip.

>Busting your ass in WalMart isn't going to make you a manager; it's just going to make you stupid.
This is exactly the reason it does, and not only at Walmart, but any workplace. All the employees think this way, which is probably why they're working there in their 30s and beyond. Most of the low position employees have that same defeatist attitude that stops them from trying because it's "pointless".

I'm not saying kill yourself for a mega corp, but it's so easy to stand out in a sea of mediocrity. Especially for Millennials. Not texting constantly already puts you in the top 10% of employees.
>>
>>57787552
>Um, how about no?
https://www.hudexchange.info/resources/documents/2010HomelessAssessmentReport.pdf
This is the one from the NAMI article I linked earlier, but here's more for you to disregard:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4618481/
>The point prevalence of mental illness was 56%.
>Only 13% of the subjects with mental illness were receiving psychiatric care at the time of interview.
>a significant proportion (18%) of the subjects initially selected were too ill to give consent to join the study.
http://www.sardaa.org/resources/about-schizophrenia/
>Between one-third and one-half of all homeless adults have schizophrenia.
http://www.who.int/nmh/publications/discussion_paper_en.pdf
>Numerous studies have documented the high prevalence of mental health problems in homeless persons, including street children
>The 12-month prevalence rate of psychiatric morbidity among urban homeless populations in LMICs, such as in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, has been estimated at almost 50%

I'm eager to hear about the mental gymnastics this post made you go through in order to continue believing something that isn't true.
>>
>>57787670
>much better better job
This might be an exaggeration.
>Everything is a stepping stone job/career wise.
Except it doesn't work that way. Hard work on it's own does not lead to a better job/income/etc.
>Such as?
Were you the manager's friend?
Did you have no extenuating circumstances that resulted in "poor performance"? (car broke down, psych ward stay, etc)
Are you good at socializing/Are you personable?
Are you attractive?
Are you healthy? (keep in mind that I am not asking if you are fat)
How much did you rely on welfare/your parents while you were making an unlivable wage?
Do your parents support you?
etc etc.
>All the employees think this way
Because it's absolutely true. Working class employers almost always have no interest in promoting or increasing the wage of their workers when they put in hard work for a long time. This is why Costco is so lauded by the working class. Deli workers can and do make more money than you do, with better healthcare, simply by working hard and being consistent.

Unfortunately, companies like Costco are rare, and they are very selective with who they employ.
>>
>>57787784
Alright. It's clear that you're 100% convinced that your circumstances are completely outside yourself, more than likely an ego defense to explain your shortcomings in life.

Regardless of how accurate that is it doesn't seem like you're open to a different view, so this is just wasted effort on my part, so I'm going to call it here.

Good luck with your life, friend.
>>
>>57787670
>I just wasn't lazy,
>it's so easy to stand out in a sea of mediocrity. Especially for Millennials. Not texting constantly already puts you in the top 10% of employees.

This guy gets it. What's so sad is that people like him are practically extinct.
>>
>>57786531
>$50
that's not how you're meant to do that phrase
that makes me think "oh, guess there's no point then"
>>
>>57787831
>It's clear that you're 100% convinced that your circumstances are completely outside yourself
Didn't read past here. Assuming that anyone who recognizes the bleakness of employment in this decade is using "an ego defense to explain your shortcomings in life" is idiotic.

Fuck off.
>>
>>57787867
>What's so sad is that people like him are practically extinct.
Yes, putting in hard work only to be rewarded years later with a pay increase that still puts you in the lowest socioeconomic class is so desirable. People should strive to be king of the poorfags instead of working as hard as their wage deserves and using any and all social welfare programs they have access to!
>>
>$50
That's pretty ridiculous. Wikipedia only asks for $2.
>>
>>57788008
To be fair their costs probably are many times that of Wikipedia.
>>
>>57786531
Because advertising is a poor alternative
>>
>>57787951
>Didn't read past here
>directly quotes later in the post

lmao
>>
>>57788096
>directly quotes later in the post
Pretending to be retarded?
>>
>>57786648
it's a literal non-profit. That's what non-profits have always done to get money.
>>
>>57786648
for things like wikipedia it's much better than advertisements
>>
I think its because things cost money to run. There's no real way for websites to make much money with adverts thanks to AdBlock these days. It'll be interesting to watch this arms race of blocker and block detection.
>>
>>57787309
They're feeding off money-loose liberals who are sore that trump won
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.