[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First year CS student here, I kind of realised that the stuff

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: IMG-20150607-WA0010.jpg (70KB, 421x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20150607-WA0010.jpg
70KB, 421x600px
First year CS student here, I kind of realised that the stuff thought in school is very low-level stuff like algorithms and data structures, but what useful skills should I pickup to make myself relevant in the software industry? What language should I learn.. etc?
>>
>>57783244
data structures and algorithms
>>
>>57783244
why the fuck can't any kids these days google or pick up a book? you're so fucking helpless. give up on being a professional engineer if you can't get this information from any resource besides /g/. you clearly lack any of the personality skills that make a good engineer.
>>
>>57783244
>very low-level stuff like algorithms and data structures
What? That's not "low level".
Algorithms and data structures are the core of programming.
>>
>>57783244
Very low level stuff, like algorithms and data structures, are very in demand.
It's your first year. Calm down.
>>
>>57783272

Maybe low level isn't the best way to word it.. I was thinking of 'skills' like android programming, knowing SQL, node.js .. that kind of stuff.

Sadly to say I'm completely retarded at this kind of stuff and right now I'm just learning whatever school is teaching.
>>
>>57783264

asking shit like this about what is mostly an ambiguous question is completely fine. This is the case where you would want to ask people who've already been through this shit and dealt with it. They'll have far more useful information, and far more quickly, than some oblivious kid ever would. He shouldn't expect someone to plan his whole life, but any sort of direction is useful and makes googling actually helpful.
>>
>>57783303
Just follow you're schools curriculum. It's unlikely that they are going to teach you anything useless.
Also, CS degrees are less about teaching the hot new meme framework, and more about teaching fundamentals.
You wouldn't have a "learn SQL" paper, you would have a "Databases" paper, where you happen to learn SQL while you're at it.
>>
>>57783375

Sounds good to me, but isn't learning more languages more useful? Right now I only know python, Java and C.. I have looked everywhere and there's tons of job postings about ruby, .net, C# and html5.. I literally don't know what those stuff are except for C#.. OOP language that was made by Microsoft..?
>>
>>57783395
>but isn't learning more languages more useful
From a CS perceptive, not really. Knowing a bunch of languages doesn't really make you a better computer scientist.
But there might be some less "hard CS" papers, which focus more on particular technologies.
>Right now I only know python, Java and C
For a first year CS student, that's actually quite a bit, but you probably don't know any to any great depth.
>I have looked everywhere and there's tons of job postings about ruby, .net, C# and html5.. I literally don't know what those stuff are except for C#.. OOP language that was made by Microsoft..?
You're a first year: you have plenty of time to learn shit. Also, a good programmer should be learning some technologies in their own time. You're university isn't going to teach you everything, because that's completely infeasible.
>>
>>57783244
Learn FORTRAN, ADA, APL, LISP, C++, FORTH, and AMD64.
>>
>>57783513
>Fortran
Niche modern applications.
>Ada, APL, Forth
Old and stupid. There is no reason to use these.
>Lisp
Be more specific.
>C++
Complete garbage.
>AMD64
This a terrible first assembly language. Learn a different one and then only learn this one if you need to.

Also, you're capitalising a lot of shit which isn't supposed to be.
>>
>>57783562
>>Forth
>Old and stupid
>>C++
>Complete garbage.
>>AMD64
>This a terrible first assembly language. Learn a different one and then only learn this one if you need to.

Found the brainlet
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.