[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Programming Productivity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: tumblr_n93zr3Ynl11txobqgo1_250.gif (2MB, 245x187px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n93zr3Ynl11txobqgo1_250.gif
2MB, 245x187px
Do you program, or is your machine just for gaming, 4chan, and chinese cartoons?

Describe your hardware and software setup and your workflow for a generic project from start to finish. What are your tools and processes, your operating system and environment, etc.
>>
>>57775227
>Describe your hardware and software setup and your workflow for a generic project from start to finish

lol fuck off
>>
>>57775724
Having none is fine, too.
>>
>>57775227
>Describe your hardware and software setup and your workflow for a generic project from start to finish.

I travel here and there all the time for meetings and so on. I generally program in Python and I don't really use any IDE's. I use sublimetext and the command prompt. I use windows due to job requirements.

My workflow is meetings ---> figure out actions, making sure I have a clear statement on when the job is done then just code away I guess. then repeat
>>
>>57775812

What job requirements force you to use Windows, and do you dual boot or run it through Wine or a VM?
>>
>>57775227
>just for gaming, 4chan, and chinese cartoons?
my desktop pc pretty much, yeah

all the work related stuff is done on the sponsored laptop (e555)
-presentations
-documents
-light programming
>>
>>57775227
I only do hobby programming on my own desktop. I don't know what workflow you're thinking of, I start whatever IDE(s) or text editor I need and start working on the project. That's it, is that the "workflow" you're thinking of?
>>
>>57776130
What happens when you finish a project? You don't publish or deploy it anywhere like GitHub? Do you use the IDE to compile anything you work on with your text editor?
>>
>>57775227
I'm a data analyst, and I use r, sas, sql, and python mostly, and i use a variety of software for data presentation. Generally my workflow looks something like

>meetings
>explore the issues identified
>attempt to answer the questions that need answering
>meet again to present preliminary work
>answer new questions
>move on
>>
>>57776215
I haven't ever published anything, all the hobby work I do is either just for fun and nothing else or I'm making something that I use myself. If it's just for fun I just stop, if it's something I use myself I put it into use once it's done, what this means in practice depends on whether it's purely PC software or if it's something that also involves electronics/other hardware.

If I'm just using a text editor then it's most likely some scripting language, Python or bash basically, so there's no compiling. If I'm using an IDE the yeah, I compile and build using the IDE. As for publishing, I never really bothered since most of the stuff I do is fairly specific to what I want to achieve and maybe even to my own hardware, so I doubt it'd be much use to somebody else.
>>
>>57775227

4th year CS, all I do is program at this point and come on here.. often for dpt threads

glad i got a decent workstation cpu a while ago. trying to do anything on my shitty debian laptop is fucking painful

i just want a week of playing eve desu but not gonna happen for a long time now
>>
>>57776408
You should upload your work anyway. You never know.

>>57776469
What's so bad about doing your programming work on your laptop?
>>
>>57776527

It's a G505 lenovo running Debian jessie, on paper I thought the A4 chip would be okay but it routinely can't handle Eclipse or IntelliJ IDEs

It's performance overall is just pretty poor but I got it for $350ish as a college discount so meh.

I'm trying out atom with scala tools on it but meh, honestly just the performance is so trash i'll probably just dd the disk and restore to a new laptop at some stage after college finishes
>>
>>57776527
>You should upload your work anyway. You never know.
Yeah, I guess that's always possible. I made a PC fan controller (hardware + control application) because I was fed up with the lack of a standard way to get configurable automated fan control that I was going to publish somewhere, then I lost the firmware source and all I've got is the final binary that was luckily still flashed on the dev board. Maybe I'll release that if I ever get around to rewriting the firmware.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.