[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can free software even compete? No seriously, how the fuck

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 10

File: office and photoshop.png (121KB, 957x290px) Image search: [Google]
office and photoshop.png
121KB, 957x290px
How can free software even compete?

No seriously, how the fuck can free software even compete?
>>
By not being complete garbage lol
>>
>>57775044
By being free
>>
>>57775044
What is Libreoffice and Gimp. I don't use them but, they get the job done if you can't afford or hate MS Office or Fuck ass Creative Cloud (thank God for cracks)
>>
>subscription based garbage
>>
It can't. Ever. It's not about quality, not really.

It's about that these giants have total market share, and as such dictate the rules of the game.

And MS isn't above breaking compatibility to sew a few FUD seeds.
>>
>>57775044
How can new software compete with old versions?

I always hear people bullshiting about Microsoft Office vs Libre/Open Office.

But nevermind that shit, how the fuck can Microsoft Office 2016 compete with Microsoft Office 2007 or Office 97? Majority of people who use office would easily be satisfied with any god damn word processor even Word 4.0 and most of the time Microsoft Word is all they want. Who keeps buying this newer shit? What do they buy it for?

Same thing for Photoshop, what's special about the new versions that most "artists" couldn't do with CS2?
>>
>>57775252
You need the newer versions to read the files the new versions produce.

So everyone steps forward in lockstep and MS, Adobe, etc. laughs all the way to the bank.
>>
>>57775252
vendor lock-in
>>
>>57775044
Has libreoffice/OpenOffice and gimp had one single feature update in the past 10 fucking years? I swear it's the same thing as it was.
>>
>>57775281
>You need the newer versions to read the files the new versions produce.

Wtf that's like not even a real reason. Are you telling me people buy newer shit just to open a new version of a file which didn't require the new shit to be made to begin with. That would be an automatic win for the open source office suit.

>>57775306
I can see companies buying this, who else does? Are schools still tricked into this shit anymore?
>>
>>57775306
Also how MS gained dominance to begin with.

Remember when Word files would corrupt all the fucking time? That's because they're a propriety binary, so the whole file can become useless if one small part gets messed up, almost literally "if one 1 becomes 0."

This didn't apply to other office software that saved themselves as formatted plaintext, so a slight bit of corruption only affected the formatting or content, and since a lot of these word processors had a button to expose the syntax, this was no issue at all.

Word had just enough dominance that it could do this and result in the erasure of an entire industry.
>>
>>57775397
just use (La)TeX
>>
>>57775370
>Are you telling me people buy newer shit just to open a new version of a file which didn't require the new shit to be made to begin with.

No, it DID require the new shit on purpose. Hence how everyone marches in lockstep.

>That would be an automatic win for the open source office suit.

Someone's young, and still naïve. It's OK, you'll grow out of it when MS FUDs and EEEs something great out of circulation.
>>
>>57775420
Not viable for an ordinary office environment and you know it. Stop being autistic and get in to the real world.
>>
>>57775420
Spreadshit?
>>
File: oh.gif (2MB, 339x170px) Image search: [Google]
oh.gif
2MB, 339x170px
>save LibreOffice document at home
>open it in Microsoft Word somewhere else
>document's formatting is fucked up with weird characters inserted everywhere
>>
>>57775460
Looks like you need to purchase Microsoft® Office™.

If your question is now "why can't MS implement an open standard" the answer is "why should they?"

See: >>57775194
>It's about that these giants have total market share, and as such dictate the rules of the game.
>>
File: 1480237949023.jpg (165KB, 439x550px) Image search: [Google]
1480237949023.jpg
165KB, 439x550px
>>57775460
I had to put up with that bullshit before

I just saved what was critically important (the content) as .txt files on a USB and got there early to quickly format them into word docs

>mfw someone sends me a wod file instead of a fucking PDF
>>
>>57775460

That's why you export as pdf
>>
>>57775460
I only seen this with slideshit. All dog and dogx works well.
>>
>>57775281
Retard you can use newer versions on older office suites. You really think they're not backward compatible? So someone sends a business partner a document and they can't read it and instantly have to purchase 2016 just to open it? Lol kys bro. The real reason they continue to sell newer versions is because it's made purposely hard to find office versions behind the last release (I.e. 2013) and the associated keys.

>Hurr Durr just KMS it!

Yeah, I'm sure an auditor wont mind that one bit.

New computers are obviously purchased all the time, new Office will be available for DL and purchase easily and not many people will bother finding 2010 and a key. Also majority of companies have IT support that will look to make a profit on selling Office and maybe the labour involved so they'll choose the most expensive for them VAT gains.
>>
>>57775455
i do my spreadsheets in emacs org-mode
>>
>>57775702
They're not "hard to find" they just don't fucking sell them.
>>
>>57775807
I need a screenshot because reasons.
>>
>>57775822
>Because only Microsoft sells MS products

Are you even trying
>>
>>57775872
I never needed MS Office at my job, but even I know you can't just order some shit off of joe blows store. Companies have accounts and buy from certain stores or vendors only.
>>
File: Screenshot_20161201-120130.png (177KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161201-120130.png
177KB, 720x1280px
>>57775044
beamer is actually better than PowerPoint

>best captcha to date
>>
Nothing even comes close to Office, if you disagree you are a fucking liar, liar.

Sure, it is not free, but why should good software be free anyway? I assume you all here are working or working towards getting in the industry, wouldn't you want to get paid for your skillset?
>>
>>57775044
>Office
Not in grade school, learn Latex Pajeet.
>Adobu memeshop
Not a liberal arts student.
>Muh Excel, my boss is going to fire me!
Calc is the same shit, if you need advanced shit like macros you are better off using SQL data bases.
>>
>>57776031
>t. Rajesh
Finish your sheets you wageslave, before the GOD EMPEROR kicks you out.
>>
>>57776031
If Microsoft office competency is a skillset that either you are proud of, or is rare among your peers, you don't belong here
>>
>>57776031
POO
>>
>>57775872
Good luck proving to audit your ebay "OEM license key" is actually legal.
>>
>>57776044
>>57776065
>>57776055
You pay for games, why shouldn't you pay for things you actually use? are you all niggers?

also, >>57776055
>thinking that I am talking about using a piece of software as a skillset

You probably can't wrap your head around this concept, but actual people develop software like this, they don't just magically appear on your computer
>>
>>57776128
have you sucked your daily dick yet fagboi
>>
>>57776128
>using Microsoft word to develop word processing software
kek
>>
>>57776128
Support is more valuable for a business than the software itself. It's what IBM made its fortune on.

How do you think RHEL stays in business?
>>
>>57776128
Make a list of the software you actually purchased.
>>
File: 1436723943382.jpg (34KB, 338x305px) Image search: [Google]
1436723943382.jpg
34KB, 338x305px
>>57776128
>You pay for games

But that's where you're wrong, fuckface :^)
>>
>>57776128
People don't buy software, companies do.
>>
>>57776180
and if it was only free software, companies would donate to the development of software they rely on, or pay their own employees to contribute to it.
>>
>>57776213
Have you ever worked for anyone/company at all in your life? No they wouldn't contribute a god damn cent.
>>
File: 256.jpg (14KB, 229x281px) Image search: [Google]
256.jpg
14KB, 229x281px
>>57775044
>mfw using photoshop and office in playonlinux
>>
>>57775460
Is that dude related to Cristiano Ronaldo?
>>
File: gimp.jpg (3KB, 161x114px) Image search: [Google]
gimp.jpg
3KB, 161x114px
>>57775179
>I don't use them but
yeah, bc otherwise u woudlnt compare ps to gimp.
>>
>>57775044

Don't compet. Simple!
>>
>>57776267

Who actually is this guy?
I've seen this image so much and I have no idea.
>>
>>57775460
I got in trouble because the assignments I submitted to my teacher were all messed up. I ended up buying office.
>>
>>57776403
That's exactly why PDF exists
>>
>>57776397
jesus fucking christ man, how is that possible? you'd think you'll be ashamed enough to reverse search it before making a fool of yourself, even anonymous like this.

probably a kid, but still.
>>
>>57776403
use open office and just export is as pdf.
>>
>>57776267
which version of photoshop do u use pls?
>>
>>57776473
Adobe Photoshop Versión: 13.0 (13.0 20120315.r.428 2012/03/15:21:00:00) x32

It's a portable version, I've just copy the program files folder in the virtual c:\ driver and then configure playonlinux to execute wine as Windows7 (Windows XP still works, but you will have some graphical problems)
>>
>>57776554
thanks
>>
>>57776403
Why not use the Google equivalents? They let you export as office file types these days.
>>
File: affinity-photo-pepe.png (487KB, 1269x775px) Image search: [Google]
affinity-photo-pepe.png
487KB, 1269x775px
Why do people still use photoshop?
>>
>>57777574
It's the best thing available, plus, Adobe is nice to students with their generous discounts.
>>
>>57775044
It's an argument of morality/ethics, so no competition is necessary.

It is a trade off that in my opinion is worth it.
>>
>>57775044
Microsoft Office has no benefits over free ones. Photoshop still doesn't have a powerful alternative though.
>>
>>57776033
>Not a liberal arts student.
Photoshop is used by pretty much all respectable graphic design firms, movie studios, etc. Gimp will never ever ever ever be used like that because it's utter shit.

Having said that I've found that Google Docs, Evernote and Latex are enough for my needs. I can see why office workers may want Excel though and you can't expect Mr. Normie "Normal Person" McNormie to learn fucking SQL for his job.
>>
>>57778972
>Photoshop is used by pretty much all respectable graphic design firms, movie studios, etc.
I don't care as I don't care about software used in the mining industry.
>McNormie to learn fucking SQL for his job
I'm talking about the people that use advanced features, they would have little trouble using SQL or even R for the job.
>>
>>57775044
Photoshop is the only usable program in that image, and it still suck pretty bad.
>>
>>57775147
Because I buy all that proprietary software
>>
One word: GIMP
>>
>>57775044
wtf I hate free stuff now.
>>
>>57775281
So, basically newer version is just to make people keep buying their products.
Fuck that.
>>
>>57775252

CS2 is shit tho. CS3 is good so is CS6. CC is showing diminishing returns and only adds cloud/teamwork/stock functionality - with strong push for adobe's stock content subscription
>>
>>57775179
i'm sorry but gimp really is not remotely close to being a competent replacement for photoshop
>>
>>57775179

>can't even make a fucking circle in GIMP

LMAO
>>
Other than
>Privacy

Why do people not just use google docs? You can export anything perfectly into MS office shit and access it on any device at any time.
>>
>>57779129
you misspelled "garbage"
>>
>>57775281

> You need the newer versions to read the files the new versions produce.

Or just download the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint File Formats

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3
>>
>>57775186
Office 2016 is still standalone afaik
>>
>>57775044

>Publisher
>Turn on grid, and snap to grid
>Scroll in
> Square is not fully aligned to grid
>>
>>57775044
Only if state institutions mandate open source software like LibreOffice.

No other way, sadly. MS Office is too pervasive in schools and at home people pirate it for free anyway and MS doesn't mind.
>>
File: ofcact3_1.webm (3MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
ofcact3_1.webm
3MB, 1024x768px
>>
>>57779355
gimp is shit, but it's also not for drawing.
>>
>>57779244
>So, basically newer version is just to make people keep buying their products.

>14 year old learns about planned obsolescence for the first time AND YOU WONT BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS
>>
>>57775044
I'm not sure, but as long as it keep your tech impaired faggots away from free software, all is good.
>>
In the future we won't need software at all becuaz everything will be online which means free alternatives will go NOWHERE
>>
>>57775179
Libre office really doesn't work well for any advanced tasks, or sending your work to anyone using ms office (I.e. everyone).
>>
>>57783863
>advanced tasks
What sort of advanced tasks are you thinking of?
>>
>>57777546
Same issues. Sometimes docs/sheets/slides formatting doesn't play nice with ms office
>>
>>57783895
I meant anything involving complicated formatting, should've been more specific. Charts/tables in calc, multi-column text, pictures, tables, headers/footers in writer, and basically anything in the PowerPoint program have given me issues with compatability. Hell, sometimes files I made in Libre office would get fucked up formatting after being saved, and then opened again in libreoffice! Also, it crashed a lot.

I wanted to use free software, especially since ms office's UI changes piss me off to no end, but it was making school and research assistant work more difficult.
I don't recommend libre office/open office for anything other than basic text, especially if you're working on more than one computer or have to send the work to other people, whether they're using libre/OpenOffice or ms office..
>>
>>57784062
>it was making school and research assistant work more difficult.
Try and beat my former company's IT philosophy:

- upper management and HR always on bleeding edge MS Office (2013 last time I worked there)
- middle management stuck forever with Office 2007
- everyone else and wageslaves on some archaic OpenOffice (because newer ones haven't been officially vetted by the HQ)

It was an office with about 150 staff where efficient workflow and exchange of documents was one of the essential tasks, just thinking back to this clusterfuck is making me shudder.
>>
>>57775455
Gnumeric. If your calculations so complex it cannot fit into gnumeric than you probably need take a look at scilab, or R, not excrap.
>>
>>57775044
>tfw i pay 5€/YEAR for the full ride of MS programms
Based jewish re-education camp.
>>
>>57784062
>OpenOffice
Have you used Open Office?

I've never had any problems short of a few examples of people explaining how to do something in Word and then the commands/menus are slightly different. I haven't updated it since 2011, so I don't think it can save as .docx files but it can open them. I've messed around with headers, footnotes, adding images and tables, the writer version even has an auto-complete suggestion for longish (default is ~6 characters but this can be changed) words that you've already typed into any open document, not sure if this is in any newer versions of word.
>>
>>57775044
Any office suite is sufficiënt. Google docs is used more anyway. Even in corporate environment.

> What are Krita, Inkscape and Mischief?
Krita > painting. I prefer this over my legal copy of PS CS6 for work.
Inkscape > vectorial, because why would you even try logo design in PS
OpenToonz > animation. Good for Ghibli, good for me.

Find me a Graphics use case that isn't handled with these.
>>
>using libreoffice
>about to finish report to send to my boss
>infinite loop save error
>get fired
>>
>>57788551
Animated and interactive vector stuff.
>>
>>57775529
No shit sherlock, try it with hanging quotations and shit.
>>
>>57788551
>because why would you even try logo design in PS
you'd do it in illustrator you fucking shithead.
>>
>>57776397
Orson Welles.

>>57788645
>>infinite loop save error
There is an automated saving option. Took the b8 faggot.
>>
>>57776341
kek
>>
im not a proffesional but i can do shitloads of stuff in GIMP and i only followed a few guides. the reason i dont use photoshop is taht it would be harder for me
same for OpenOffice or LibreOffice, dont remember wich one i used
>>
>>57775044
software is like sex, it isnt any good unless it is free

Linux is the only good OS

macOSX & Windows is screwing you and when you're screwed it is not sex but more like being molested
>>
kile > word
kile > powerpoint
tikz > photoshop
R > excel
>>
File: sirkels.png (343KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
sirkels.png
343KB, 640x640px
Gimp is fine for basic stuff like DRAWING CIRCLES!!!!
>>
>>57792959

Best sex i've ever had I paid for - czech mate.
Thread posts: 101
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.