[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FOSS personal assistant

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: ai.jpg (41KB, 450x507px) Image search: [Google]
ai.jpg
41KB, 450x507px
Why is free and open source community not working hard towards making a good personal assistant?
It's like you don't what to get your robot waifu as soon as possible.

What are currently some good FOSS personal assistants and why is Mycroft the best one?
And even Mycroft is barely functioning hacked together software that has maybe five skills and is otherwise just voice interface for Wolfram Alpha.
>>
File: 1448873919441.png (3KB, 344x341px) Image search: [Google]
1448873919441.png
3KB, 344x341px
>>57767076
You don't understand what personal assistant, robot and waifu means.
No one creates FOSS voice control because no one needs it, it's easier to just type command or click the icon you need.
>>
>>57767484
>implying I sit in front of the screen all day
>implying I don't find myself in situations where voice control would be way more convenient than using mouse / keyboard / touchscreen / light switch / TV remote control...
>inb4 normies REEEEEEEEEEEEE

Also FOSS personal assistant would be the best core for robot waifu.
Unless you want your robot wafu to tell Google and/or Amazon about all your habits and sexual preferences. With FOSS one, all of those could be stored on local server and accessable trough the internet only via heavily encrypted connection.
>>
If you're on android start programming utter.
>>
>>57767586
You have no idea about building humanoids and AGI, don't you?
>>
>>57767926
sadly not FOSS
>>
>>57768015
Yep, no idea.
Which of my statements does not make sense?
Also, does the progress in those fields depend only on me?
>>
>>57768085
>Which of my statements does not make sense?
>Also FOSS personal assistant would be the best core for robot waifu.
Personal assistants are nothing more than simple voice recognition algorithm that tries to fit your speech to hardcoded commands, there is nothing intelligent about them.
It has literally nothing to do with robot assistants, except the fact that both of them listen and respond.
The core of actual robot assistant would be Artificial General Intelligence, it's something that can learn and do arbitrary actions, similarly to human brain. We do not know how to archive it yet and this is the main problem we need to solve before attempting to create real assistant.
>Also, does the progress in those fields depend only on me?
No, but if you are willing to help developing actual robot assistant you shouldn't bother with voice assistants. No matter how developed they are, they will never become what you are looking for.
>>
>>57767484
My use case would be hands-free commands. ie. kitchen timers when cooking, alarms when away from PC (bath, soldering, etc) and things like that.

>>57767076
Mycroft uses Google for Speech-To-Text. If you want a FOSS assistant for the privacy issues of closed systems, that's definitely the wrong choice.

But at least I guess skills can be developed locally? Unlike with "on the cloud" systems like Alexa where you can listen to all the music in the world BUT the one on your hard drive, which drives me nuts.
>>
>>57767076
I always assumed it was because we didn't have FOSS voice recognition as good as Google's. I know there's a few shitty ones made with the RPi and similar
>>
Because the FOSS community is working hard on practical problems. Muh voice controlled personal assistant isn't one.
>>
Since when has FOSS produced any personal computer software of any merit whatsoever?

The only thing FOSS is good for is cheap ass companies to get cheap ass server software.
>>
Because it's a meme. Nobody cares about voice assistants and nobody uses them.
>>
>>57768602
>>
>>57768178
>No matter how developed they are, they will never become what you are looking for.
So personal assistants will always stay simple voice interfaces for hardcoded commands, while on the other hand there will be completely seperate development of AGI, which aims to implement functionality that has huge overlap with personal assistants.
And there is no way that development of personal assistants would go in the way where more and more "general" usability is implemented, bringing personal assistant closer to becoming AGI.
Nice logic.

>>57768257
Yep, currently it uses Google STT. I do however believe that Mycroft has the most potential of all personal assistants. Meaning that because of it's modularity, you can already switch Google's STT for something else. IMHO Mycroft will be the first personal assistant to implement local STT OOTB. However their OpenSTT project does not look good, repo still empty, so it will take some time for them to ditch Google STT.

Yes, skills can be developed locally.
>>
>>57768559
>FOSS community is working hard on practical problems
[citation needed]
>>
>>57768677
>So personal assistants will always stay simple voice interfaces for hardcoded commands, while on the other hand there will be completely seperate development of AGI, which aims to implement functionality that has huge overlap with personal assistants.
It doesn't make sense. Robot assistants ARE personal assistants, so when we develop them, personal assistants would have AGI. Voice assistants would probably be abandoned soon, even before we create AGI, because people will lose the hype. They aren't very useful now and they have little potential for future advance without solving AGI problems and completely changing how they work.
>And there is no way that development of personal assistants would go in the way where more and more "general" usability is implemented, bringing personal assistant closer to becoming AGI.
Yeah, because the main idea behind them is different. It's like trying to develop jets, expecting that they will allow you to travel to other planet. It doesn't matter that both of them are used to fly, they use different methods and you won't be able to use jet engine in space.
>>
>>57767076
Anon who spent a lot of time on this reporting in.
Sadly, there is no good realtime open source text-to-speech right now (good as in doesn't sound like bonzi buddz)
>>
>>57768705
gcc/clang/llvm
>>
>>57768845
that

actually makes sense
>>
File: 1479024945560.jpg (280KB, 900x563px) Image search: [Google]
1479024945560.jpg
280KB, 900x563px
>>57767484
>it's easier to just type command or click the icon you need.
>This is what freetards actually believe
>>
I have a desktop waifu widget that has about 4000 lines of text, including questions for the user, responses to user input, browsing specific responses etc.
Kind of like clippy on speed
>>
>>57769555
Upload it anon!
>>
because the only thing free software gets done is anime desktops
>>
File: 1478290929178008150.jpg (32KB, 398x500px) Image search: [Google]
1478290929178008150.jpg
32KB, 398x500px
>>57769546
Yeah right.
Everyone around me talk to siri every time they want to run app or send a message.
Even at my workplace no one has keyboards attached to theirs computers. They just shout: Cortana, start IDE, open project, write new public static function...
>>
>>57769772
>there is only one type of computer user: the developer
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.