[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Operating systems

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

File: ubuntuhero.jpg (26KB, 620x485px) Image search: [Google]
ubuntuhero.jpg
26KB, 620x485px
Im doing my own computer build and am entirely sick of Windows 10, am wondering what alternatives I have, if Windows 7 will still run applications in a few years (Thinking photoshop, CAD, AAA games) Or what options for Linux I have
>>
TempleOS is a good OS for beginners. It's simple to use and understand
>>
>>57761470
Install win7 and then Arch for dual boot
>>
>Thinking photoshop, CAD, AAA games
None of these even run on Linux
>>
File: is this the new desktop thread?.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
is this the new desktop thread?.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
install macOS
>>
>am wondering
fag
>>
>>57761527
Fucking reddit told me otherwise, fuck

>>57761544
>I like cock in and around my mouth
>>
File: Muhh_photoshop.png (136KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Muhh_photoshop.png
136KB, 1366x768px
>>57761470
>Photoshop
It runs under Wine. However photoshop extended's features won't work.
>CAD
Siemens NX is compatible with Linux. But if you are an undergrad student you might be looking for AutoCAD because of its beginner friendlyness, which doesn't run on Linux.

However it depends on what CAD are you doing. If it's electronics, Linux has tons of CAD tools.

As for "AAA" games, get a PS4.

People use Linux for it's better security and privacy.
>>
I just dual boot Ubuntu and W8.1. Windows is for when Ubuntu shits itself opening Office ``Open'' XML and printing. But if you're tied to Autodesk, Adobe, and vidya, you'll be maining winblows lol.
>>
>>57761500
This
>>
>>57761830
Fair enough on those points. Thank you for the detailed fucking of my asshole, I do appreciate it.
>>57761875
How much longer is the lifespan of Win7 in applications?
>>
>>57761830
>>57761895

However you can virtualize windows itself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16dbAUrtMX4
>>
>>57761895
>How much longer is the lifespan of Win7 in applications?
Dunno, I'd have to Google. But W8.1 is very nice imo. With Classic Shell, cmder, and Chocolatey, usability goes through the roof.
>>
>>57761920
If Im using PS and CAD daily and some infrequent gaming, would Arch be the most effective thing or am I fucked through the window?

>>57761940
How fast do your boots typically take?
>>
File: nxperspect.png (484KB, 1920x1077px) Image search: [Google]
nxperspect.png
484KB, 1920x1077px
>>57762141
>PS
For daily use photoshop in wine just works

>CAD
What simulation are you doing? See if you can actually get Siemens NX
>>
>>57761470
React OS. Not linux
>>
>>57762141
>How fast do your boots typically take?
W7 has shitty boots, doesn't it? Boot speed's about the same on W8 and Ubuntu. But I mean, the OS should be on an SSD anyway. Windows can get hectic if you let too many services run at boot, but just do `cinst sysinternals -y` and use autoruns to keep things in check.
>>
>>57762168
Well I'm practicing for industry and I have free access to Solidworks and Inventor and Ill see if ill be missing anything important from PS

>>57762209
That's true and I'm a retard
>>
>>57761527
Untrue. Siemens NX supports Linux, but unfortunately some features are not present.
>>
>>57761470
Install gentoo.
>>
>>57761558
>>57761527
Depends on the triple AAA game.
Borderlands 2, Bioshock Infinite are good examples of triple AAA games with native support.

Plus there are versions of photoshop that will run in Wine.
>>
>>57761470
Dude, just try Mint. Cinnamon or MATE will provide the easiest transition. Don't let people bullshit you on how superior Arch or Gentoo is. You can try them later. And the other anon that said to run windows in a VM, I'd go that route too. As long as your PC isn't shit and you've got plenty of ram to spare, you'll be fine.
>>
>>57762314
Sounds like a faggot who hasn't installed gentoo on their iPhone
>>
>>57761528
Cancerous plague pretending to be a girl
>>
>>57762340
Where they at lad
>>
>>57762340
It's cute that you always jump to his defense :-)
>>
>>57762243
Inventor is dogshit. Can't even make holes at an angle.
>>
>>57762314
Im a complete retard at Linux, what exactly is the difference? Levels of control?
>>
File: 3_22751.jpg (9KB, 350x263px)
3_22751.jpg
9KB, 350x263px
>>57761470
Install Windows xp
>>
>>57762404
Linux is different to windows similar to how windows is different to apple. You've got a software center instead of going all over the net to download programs. With distro like Mint, you've still got a start menu, programs list, control panels. Things are just named differently. Get a thumb drive and make a live USB. Mess around with it. It's a lot more familiar than you think.
>>
>>57762340
Still at this, I see ;^)
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.