[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

security cameras

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: security_240_ir.png (67KB, 301x216px) Image search: [Google]
security_240_ir.png
67KB, 301x216px
I've been looking at IP cameras for my house, and was wondering if anyone had experience with them

I have concerns that
A. the connection might not be secure, someone could hack my camera and watch me do my laundry
most of them only support WPA-2 and so the wireless function might be more of a venerability than a benefit
B. an intruder breaking the camera could stop the video being transited, depending on how regularly they back up data to an external drive
C. they may be effected by general or local power outages

is the camera quality really as good as they advertise for a 720P?
I'm really struggling to find any independent reviews or tests
>>
>>57747379
Buy used Cisco ones off ebay, and use wired ethernet. They support PoE so you can backup their power from a single UPS connected to your switch.
>>
>>57747830
I was considering the cisco ones, but there are a great many new chinese cameras on Tmall and taobao
>>
>>57748283
Do you think you could ever get support for them? Do you think firmware updates would ever be issued for a no name chink camera? Do you think those chink cameras are full of tons of security issues and hard coded admin/telnet passwords? You can find Cisco 720p PTZ outdoor rated camera with built in heaters for $20 or $25. I linked someone here one about a week ago.
>>
Forget Cisco cameras. Broken as fuck, license hell, not even their own technology. Better off with cheap chink crap.
>>
>>57748412
>Cisco 720p PTZ outdoor
part of the issue is that ebay jews non-US customers big time

they have drawn sellers into the international shipping prorgam eg. a ebay held monnopoly

prices went up for non-US customers by fivefold
it is three to ten times cheaper to post USP than it is to use ebay for shipping

compound that with the US dollar, and as an austrllian sending a camera here would cost 60$ just in shipping

anda lot of US companies won't support customers outside of the US, even in english speaking countries
>>
>>57748745
>part of the issue is that ebay jews non-US customers big time
no one cares, and i'm guessing you're not OP and are just spurging out that you dont have our freedom.
>>
>>57748767
why would anyone pay $300 for a camera, when I could buy a chinese one for $80?

especially when the US one costs $60 to post
>>
>>57747379
>A.
Simple, don't expose your camera network to the Internet and keep it on an isolated network
>B.
IP cameras don't store the footage/images, they constantly transmit and whatever software you use constantly captures the footage up until a camera goes offline
>C.
Either get cameras which have internal power, or use PoE with a UPS attached to your switch
>>
>>57747379
Hikvision nigga. I have a few 3MP and 4MP cams on a private VLAN and they record live on a software DVR. I use Blue Cherry but Blue Iris and Zoneminder should be nice as well. That records to FreeNAS server. Runs on a LXC container on my Proxmox box. Hikvision have international and Chinese hacked versions. Do not update firmware on the hacked version or they'll be bricks. Luckily for me Hikvision sells the international version cheap here in India. I got myself a 3MP 3.6mm IP cam from Dahua for 60$ for black friday from Jet through a friend as well. PTZ can be fun to play with but extremely expensive and you end up not using the motion anyway.
Good luck anon. IP cams are fun to get into.
>>
>>57749319
I'm just not sure how I would isolate my network

I could be hacked via the computer I use to monitor the cameras (probably my personal PC), through the modem; or perhaps even directly via the WEP-2 connection

you say constantly, and I understand that is the case, but how fast is constantly really?
could a scrambling device next to the camera stop it broadcasting?

I'm getting an internal power camera for sure, but if I loose power in the area my PC would go offline, so where would the camera data be stored?
I suppose I could hook it up to a laptop, I wonder if I could get a hardrive/battery/wifi dongle hooked up to act as a memory bank

needless to say, I'm anticipating trouble from more than your average housebreaker
>>
I've had the whole line of dlink cameras but they were all shit. Got 5 of xiaomis small ant cam and haven't looked back since. You gotta deal with the chinks watching you though.
>>
>>57749392
neat, thanks anon
>>
>>57749396
>I'm just not sure how I would isolate my network

just have a router and computer that isn't connected to the internet. The camera will transmit to the computer, but because the network isn't connected, noone else can access it.
>>
>>57749760
having a dedicated offline computer to monitor camera feeds would be ideal, but I don't need a whole computer to do that

all I need is a screen, storage, and a basic access interface
I'd rather not shell out for a computer just for that
>>
>IOT
nope
>>
>>57749396
Make a VLAn on your router just for your camrra
>>
>>57750470
I suppose that would be he sensible way of doing it
not sure about the security of that, it's a bi beyond me to research
>>
>IoT Cameras
literally part of a botnet 5 min after you connect them to the internet
>>
>>57751459
Unless you change the default credentials like anyone on /g/ should
>>
>>57751434
security through separation

only allow your local network access
>>
Just wire up an USB webcam to a laptop running Windows 10 and you're fine
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.