[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Spacemacs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: ss1.png (200KB, 1380x718px) Image search: [Google]
ss1.png
200KB, 1380x718px
Is there some spacemacs (emacs + vim keybings) users here?

I always have been coding in vim with a bloated configuration (like 40 plugins, autocompletion, 100 keybindings etc.) and I just switched today just to see.

I'm pretty satisfied of what I can do so far.

Anyone here tried it?
>>
I just use Sublime.
>>
>>57739460
Do you pronounce it spack-emacs or space-macks?
>>
File: spacey.jpg (107KB, 775x775px) Image search: [Google]
spacey.jpg
107KB, 775x775px
>>57739534
spacey-macs
>>
>>57739491
Yeah most of my coworkers are either on atom or webstorm.

I don't think I could be satisfied of losing most of my vim shortcuts. After years of practice it's just so convenient. I know they often have a 'vim' mode but usually that does not go far enough.

I did not miss a single feature (apart from plugins) in spacemacs yet (and I like the IDE aspect of emacs).

>>57739534
I read from the documentation that you're supposed to call it space-macks.

One other thing that bothers me is it appears that emacs plugins are not directly "connectable" to spacemacs. You have to create things called "layers" for that to ensure a good intgration, whatever that means".

The huge plus however is the fact that most of the advanced tools (like git integration, syntax-checking, autocompletion, markdown previewing, search...) are well integrated in it where in vim you usually end up with a frankenstein monstruosity with buffers all over the place, plugins taking ages and blocking the input...
>>
>Anyone here tried it?
$ yaourt spacemacs
$

not anytime soon
>>
>>57739766
You install regular emacs and installed spacemacs over that.
>>
>>57739460
gotta say it looks cool but there is so much shit going on I have no idea what I'm doing

I can barely navigate vim so I'll stick to that when I need it
>>
>>57739793
I was looking for a plugin as well, but apparently it's some git fuckery.
>>
>>57739766
>>57739865
It's basically emacs with a huge config + some plugins on it.

>>57739830
Yeah, there is too much shortcuts too. Shit like
<SPACE>+m+z+r+w+... : transform an if else to a ternary

Luckily you can just search the right command with keywords
>>
>>57739619
>I know they often have a 'vim' mode but usually that does not go far enough.

You can add any vim shortcuts that you want beyond the vim mode that sublimetext have.
>>
>>57739766
>archfags in charge of not being retards
>>
>>57739912
Well, when you want to use macros, syntax-related shortcuts - like changing between parenthesis ("ci-("), jump (f or t) or marks etc., it's impossible to integrate it with just keybindings.
>>
Any reason why you don't use evil mode in regular emacs? Just curious.
>>
I use it. I don't actually use evil mode, I just consider it emacs + sane defaults + some useful extensions. It's useful for when you don't want to bother with setting up emacs on a new machine.
>>
>>57739460
>Spacemacs
just learn either vim or emacs. to use spacemacs, you need to know both because you can't change settings without knowing emacs and you can't use it for editing without knowing vim. so in the end, you're making it doubly-difficult for youself.

just learn vim to start. use it for a year. see if you want spacemacs then.
>>
>>57739985
I never actually tried it like that and Spacemacs is principally based on multiple evil mode plugins.

I read comments from some vim users changing for spacemacs in hackernews and some other places. That's why I wanted to try it.
I was also really hyped up for neovim, but right now it does not go as far as I would like.
>>
>>57739962
They have a console-thing that you can use for that. I don't know how the vim mode is, but even without the vim mode you are not bound by keybindings in sublimetext
>>
>>57740068
I was working with vim for 5 years before trying spacemacs.

I don't like emacs keybindings (well, i'm too attached to vim modal system) but I still prefer its superior "IDE" feeling.
>>
Normally I'm using vim with few essentials plugins and Visual Studio with VsVim so for me this editor is too complex.
>>
I'm using this bloated as hell vim config https://github.com/timss/vimconf but it's the best thing I've ever worked with.

Spacemacs seems interesting though, let's see if it's really good.
>>
>>57740309
Oh, almost forgot.
I've never really worked with emacs, so can I still benefit from it?
>>
I moved from gvim to emacs a few months ago and never looked back. Only time I use vim now is when I'm SSH'd into a server.

I started with vanilla emacs not spacemacs so I don't know what it comes prepackaged with but some packages I'm using:
; making it more like vim
'evil
'evil-surround
'evil-nerd-commenter
'evil-tabs
'telephone-line
'linum-relative

; fuzzy file finding (like CtrlP in vim) and more
'helm
'projectile
'helm-projectile

; syntax checking, auto complete
'company
'flycheck
'yasnippet

These are all just general packages, you'll want packages for whatever languages you use.
Most of these require a few lines of configuration in .emacs, in 99% you can just copy the default configuration from the readme/emacs wiki.
>>
>>57740329
Never much used emacs before either.

The things that pissed me off the most was that YouCompleteMe worked 1/3 of the time and that the various plugins linting, displaying doc automatically and whatnot opened new buffers and made the navigation between real buffer hard.

Also, git integration was not so smooth (You can edit the temp buffer instead of the real one etc.).

It just looks like it's not done to be an IDE. I still used vim to quickly edit config files and do interactive git rebase today though.
>>
>>57739460
I did it like a week ago and I'm very satisfied with this piece of software.

>>57740068
>you need to know both

It's not like a problem for me, I've known vi for years and yet I wanted to learn Emacs since how powerful it is, but necessity of learning more hotkeys distracted me.
Now, spacemacs exists and it's awesome.

c: CALM ROAD
>>
Is this the editor/emacs thread?

why is CEDET and all that stuff so complicated?
>>
Need an editor with a good color theme that doesn't make me want to kill myself
>>
>>57741309
most editors take gtk themes
>>
>>57741309
You know you can easily change those, right?
>>
i used spacemacs since 2 years and i really love it.

But guys am i the only one who think the multiple terminals are just bullshit.

Someone has anything to help ?
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.