[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best Linux Terminal Emulator for OSX User?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: apple.png (114KB, 1604x876px) Image search: [Google]
apple.png
114KB, 1604x876px
Hey all,

I used to use Debian and then Ubuntu about 8-9 years ago.

I got super comfy with my Mac and just throwing GNU tools on it along with some other stuff to make a little more "Linux Like".

However, OSX is a drug and apple is the pusher. You have no real control of anything. As Steve Jobs famously tried to claim it was a "closed system". They abuse the users as much as they want, and the user just has to take it if they want to keep their supply.

So, I've been trying to go back to Debian, and I'm starting to remember how much I hated the terminal. I know there are 100+ terminal emulators.

However, what is the most comfy one that requires the least config? Like just have meta + t open a new tab? Or maybe no meta + shift + v to paste into a terminal?

The direction I'm headed in is Debian + MATE

Any general advice on what direction to go if you're not wanting a strait "all in one" Ubuntu type install, but still want some solid usability? i.e. tool bars, base os, desktop environment etc..

I know there are a 1,000 possibilities, but think trying to make something as comfy as a Mac but it is Linux.
>>
>>57736469
>The direction I'm headed in is Debian + MATE
Cinnamon is the way to go. You can config it to have almost the same Mac shortcuts.

As for terminal emulator, I use Xfce-terminal because Gnome-terminal is buggy and I lose my cursor when in Vi mode.
>>
iTerm+zsh
>>
>>57736536
Thank!

How complete of a environment is cinnamon? Does it come with a task bar and stuff?
>>
>>57736601
iTerm is a OSX app?

I am looking for something that has the feel of the regular OSX terminal, but is a Linux package?
>>
>>57736625
>How complete of a environment is cinnamon? Does it come with a task bar and stuff?
Yes. As for distro go with Mint.
>>
File: low4.jpg (253KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
low4.jpg
253KB, 1920x1080px
I use urvxt or whatever but imnot on osx sorry
pic related
>>
File: kumiko.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
kumiko.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
hi
>>
>>57737232
>>57737125
>>57737125
>>57737232
woah what 'terminal emulator' is that
>>
>>57737254
cmd.exe
>>
>>57736625

Cinnamon is a comfy DE, it offers some cool customization options out of the box and looks pretty clean.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.