[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Screentearing in Linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

File: Screenshot_2016-11-27_15-14-38.png (676KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-11-27_15-14-38.png
676KB, 1920x1080px
Why is screentearing such a problem in Linux? Is it because Xorg and Xconfig are antiquated now?

Also Compiz or Compton?
>>
>>57720310
I don't know I was actually just having that problem myself. I get it a lot with HTML5 videos and canvas in browsers.
>>
Because you're using an hobbyist OS developed by amateurs.
>>
>>57720310
same here im running gnome and this is my second install. I think i'll go back to regular ubuntu if i cant figure it out
>>
I have it only on my old dell laptop with integrated Intel graphic. To fix it I'm just adding this line to xorg config:
Option "TearFree" "true"
>>
>>57720310
Do you only get screen tearing in Chrome/Chromium? I've never got it anywhere else. Running Gnome 3.
>>
>>57720336
This, if there was a way to get paid while working on a good Linux OS without the whole tech industry melting down on the "ethics" of paying for a Linux Distro, then I could imagine that the OS could compete with Windows and Apple.

>>57720323
>>57720364
Compton, screentearing look it up.
>>57720389
I bet u money that u are running solus, solus only has this problem
>>57720383
That fix is resource heavy, so is compiz. Compton is the best, but I want to use compiz for dockbarx. Oh well.
>>
>>57720413
>I bet u money that u are running solus, solus only has this problem
Nope I'm running Ubuntu LTS
>>
>>57720431
Then you need to override html5 so it uses flash instead of html5. google it.
>>
Switch to Wayland, no screen tearing
>>
>>57720446
So wait... you are telling me that people have found an alternative to xorg and they are sticking with it? wtf is this shit community doing?
>>
why do people keep mentioning screen tearing? i have never seen it.
>>
>>57720510
probably because they have seen it
>>
>>57720310
Because no drivers
>>
>>57720517
but why? is it their graphic cards or some other shit?
>>
>>57720446
>>57720492
How's development coming along with that? I'm about to boot into Gnome 3 on wayland and check it out. I thought it wasn't stable yet and still had problems.
>>
Compton is less taxing, use that if possible.
>>
>>57720578
Was going to check it out later as well. Tell us how it goes.
>>
>>57720547
more prevalent in laptops, especially those on optimus. The intel graphic drivers seem to be the main culprit.
>>
File: 91jOMpI.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
91jOMpI.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>57720753
I'm on a T420 and have just prepared a USB with Debian on it. Should I not pull the trigger because of the integrated Intel graphics then?
>>
>>57720780
first off, debian is mainly for pure servers, no idea why u would use it for ur laptop considering there are better distros out there that focus on personalized drivers. In my experience finding the drivers for debian has always been a btich.

Secondly, if you just apply compton on whatever distro u are using, it should fix it.
>>
>>57720753
i've always had intel laptops and never seen it.
>>
File: 1455249781320.jpg (6KB, 227x225px) Image search: [Google]
1455249781320.jpg
6KB, 227x225px
>>57720900
I am considering Debian for the stability, nothing else. Thanks for the advice though, anon.
>>
>>57720578
I use it as a daily driver with gnome 3, the only annoying thing is that the mouse renderer is not the highest priority, so it lags sometimes.
I get no screen tearing with it though, so it's worth it.
>>
>>57721004
what's your specs? I just have intel integrated graphics.
>>
>>57720310
I don't have any issues with screen tearing.
Using bspwm + compton because nvidia is being a bitch about wayland.
>>
>>57720672
>Tell us how it goes.
I upgraded to 16.10 from 16.04 to try it but all I get is a blinking cursor after I log in from lightdm. Don't care enough to figure out what's wrong, it's probably just because I updated instead of installing 16.10 straight out. I'll just try out compton like the other guy was saying to do.
>>
My windows get torn corner to corner when I use Nvidia drivers and not nouveau. It happens when windows are drawn on the screen. Which is a lot because I'm constantly switching workspaces, and sometimes a triangle of the window won't draw in at all, and instead will show my background or on overlapping window from another workspace. Super annoying desu family.

On the other hand, when I use an Nvidia driver gaymes run better, even under wine.

Moral of the story in to dual boot if you want to play vidya.
>>
>>57721053
A bit late but I have a 2xxx series intel cpu (aka intel integrated graphics), and a dedicated optimus gpu, I don't think there is support for optimus yet, but the gpu does turn off unlike on xorg.
>>
>>57720310
What the hell is that? Cinnamon? I literally can't tell.
>>
>>57720310
Compton is for nigs.
>>
>>57720310
Just installed compton but i'm unsure as to what to change in the conf, can someone using arch on a t420 pastebin their settings or give me some help?
>>
I don't know what magic radeon drivers use nowadays but I get no tearing with my good ol' 6850. Using Xfce on Gentoo with compositing disabled and automatic xorg configs. I guess it's some kind of lightweight vsync.
>>
>>57720310
it is because you are using Xorg and not Wayland
it is also because your kernel doesn't have video drivers, I have 0% screentearing on my end, screentearing is more a BSD problem since Wayland does not work and there are virtually no drivers
>>
>>57724428
xfce
>>
had this same problem with every distro except Ubuntu
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.