[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Personal cloud

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: i_eat_crayons.jpg (72KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
i_eat_crayons.jpg
72KB, 1500x1500px
Hello /g/, how about a personal cloud thread?

I was thinking about buying a personal cloud like the WD MyCloud so I could use it across all of my PCs. It almost got me but I was kind of bothered it does not have a Linux synchronisation feature that it has on Windows and Mac.

I have experience with cloud storage, but I really want to have a personal cloud for my shit. I was thinking about making my own out of an older PC and installing OwnCloud on it, or a Raspberry Pi with a HDD. But it does seem as a more expensive solution to the MyCloud, but I would have file sync on my Linux PC.

Do you guys have or want to have a personal cloud? What kind do you have?
>>
>>57719193
RPi + rsync is all you need
>>
>>57719193
Some routers have USB ports and allow you to mount USB drives on them and share them as Samba shares on your local network. It's very straightforward.
>>
>>57719193
>What kind do you have?
-A shitty pentium laptop
-An external HDD
-Ubuntu server
>>
>>57719203

Will that allow me to access it with say, my OnePlus One and my windows machines?

>>57719236
Could I access it outside of my local network?

>>57719250
I was thinking about something like that, but I don't know if its financially sound since the only PC I have and don't need is a 2000 PowerBook G4, also does it have synchronisation?
>>
>>57719193
Your terminology is all fucked up bro, what are you trying to achieve?

From what I've deciphered all you want is a local file server, you don't need any syncing to do that as you just put in some files and access them where ever.

Slapping on the world "Cloud" just makes me think you want this extended to the Internet.
>>
>>57719510

That and I would also like folder synchronisation like OneDrive and Dropbox.
>>
>wd my cloud
sorry late to answer, big nope don't power supply will died quickly trust me. And it's really slow i put like plenty pictures with adobe lightroom catalog pictures is slow to load and crashing. I recommend build your own mini server.

>>57719296

not him but i could answer.
>Will that allow me to access it with say, my OnePlus One and my windows machines?

yes easily windows machine you can just click network on windows explorer, on androdid devices download something like fx file explorer or es file.

>Could I access it outside of my local network?
yes as long as your network supported it/ no port being block by router or isp.
>>
>>57719577

Thanks for the answer, would you know of any good tutorials on the matter?
>>
>>57719680
For tutorial check out youtube, but for personal cloud/data backupt there's a distro/OS called freenas and turnkey (any linux can easily do or windows), put into flashdrive and install that's all.
>>
Only "dumb fucks" would put a valid gateway address on your NAS and permit outside access. Don't ever back door your own network.
>>
https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-owncloud/

Is this a good guide?
>>
>>57719193
I think a Synology NAS could do what you want.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.