/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I got my hands on this RAID controller and wondered if I can

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

File: DSC_0579.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0579.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
I got my hands on this RAID controller and wondered if I can use it to hook up more drives to my NAS system.
I am running Open Media Vault (Debian kernel) and am using a software raid.
The thing is does it work just using that controller to mount the drives JBOD or do I need the battery for the controller.
Also considering I am running a software RAID will I still be bound to get the same controller if that one dies even if it just does JBOD or can I replace it with any other.
>>
File: DSC_0580.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0580.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
>>
File: DSC_0581.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0581.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
>>
>>57717578
From this thread: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/lsi-raid-controller-and-hba-complete-listing-plus-oem-models.599/

Looks like it is a LSI Logic MegaRAID SAS 8308ELP. You should be able to flash the LSI 1068 chip to IT mode to use it as JBOD.

It probably won't be too fast though, as it is an old card. Great for storage or slow file access. If you want to run software raid, flash it with IT mode firmware.
>>
File: sff.jpg (6KB, 258x195px) Image search: [Google]
sff.jpg
6KB, 258x195px
>>57717578
You will probably also need 2x SFF-8087 to SATA cables, one per connector on the card. They are four ports each, so you can theoretically connect 8 SATA drives.
>>
8308ELP looks right; it's a <=30usd card with sata 3gb/s
prob doesnt support drives over 2tb either, so you might be better off with a new card

answers to questions:
1) no battery required (you're not doing hw raid + write caching)
2) if you're doing jbod and sw raid, yes: you can use and swap between any controller
>>
Thank you guys!

You helped me a lot.
This means I can expand my current RAID6.
Currently I run 5 2tb drives, but I got another 3 I want to hook up to expand it and my boss has holidays left over so he lets the company pay him out in 6tb WD Red Pro and I might get his 8 2tb drives.
I thus might end up with 16 2tb drives.

By the way do not worry I got the cables with the card.

The system is an ASRock Z77 Pro3, i7-2600, 4x4GB DDR3 1600 and a 900W Tagan Piperock PSU in a first gen Fractal Define XL.
>>
File: $_57[1].jpg (116KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
$_57[1].jpg
116KB, 1024x576px
I forgot, are there other controllers you guys can recommend for this kind of stuff, that are available used?

I found this online "12-Port RAID Controller von Adaptec ICP5125BR 256MB fuer 8x PCIe" for 125€.
>picture related

How are these?
>>
>>57718253
Be careful running RAID6 with such large volumes. You might want to look into ZFS for linux, or RAID10 sets. There is a real chance that you can totally destroy your array and never be able to completely resilver it. Linus did that in one of his videos, and had to pay far out the Hentai-hole for it.

>16 2tb drives

Yeah, definitely look into RAID 10 or ZFS for linux in RAIDZ. You don't need ECC for ZFS, despite what most people say, and 16gb is plenty.

Since you are using it as a NAS, what is your network throughput like? Into a router, or switch? 1000-BASE-T? Do you have a decent dual-port NIC with TCP offload?
>>
>>57718347

Buy a card from this post. You get IT mode, and they are reasonably priced. They will support >2tb drives like >>57717883 said.

https://www.servethehome.com/lsi-sas-2008-raid-controller-hba-information/

If you need more ports, look into getting a SAS expander, but do your homework with your software raid setup first. https://hardforum.com/threads/hp-sas-expander-owners-thread.1484614/
>>
>>57718347
Dell H200 raid cards are cheap as fuck on ebay, and they work great with freenas.
>>
>>57717578

Raid is dead you need something that actually checks your data and doesn't just trust the drives are good

Use ZFS
>>
>>57719937
>trusting ZFS ever
>>
>>57718353
If I go to 16 drives I wanted to raise the parity.
But I am kinda doubtful as linux still does not seem to have native ZFS support.
Got a Netgear 48 port business switch, with 4 combi ports.
>>
File: no_files_found.png (30KB, 588x400px) Image search: [Google]
no_files_found.png
30KB, 588x400px
>>57720248
>trusting a RAID controller ever
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.