[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/g/, xubuntu or lubuntu for my old laptop?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: berry.png (358KB, 735x660px) Image search: [Google]
berry.png
358KB, 735x660px
it's not that bad

>core2duo
>2 gigs ram
>100 gig hdd

runs windows 7 but updates have been disabled for a long time. it's a good laptop with the aspect ration of the gods 16:10 and I would like to use it to surf the internet and watch movies on the go so I can leave my nicer laptop safe at home where there are no black people

gentoo is out of the question since I'm stupid, and Solus unfortunately is out of the question because Solus only has 64 bit version afaik

if you can shill well enough for another lightweight distro I might do it. in the process of copying my music files onto the thumb drive that will surf as boot drive after the music is transferred to the nice laptop

-Hulk Hogan
>>
*ratio
>>
Lubuntu is good for old hardware
>>
honestly it just isn't worth it anymore

did you know, if you are patient, you can find a t430 with 8gb, ssd, for only $200?

the performance of the 3rd gen i5 is much better than the t420's 2nd gen i5, especially in regards to the iGPU.
i know i didn't answer your question OP, but its because you're doing things the wrong way.

If you really had to, an x220 can be found for less than $150 now.
but xubuntu is what i would recommend
>>
>>57716177
this is basically what my good laptop is except it's a latitude

old laptop still works and I love it. it's also a latitude.

>>57716175
i'm leaning towards lubuntu or xubuntu just not familiar enough with the DE's to know which one is better. pretty new to linux I have kubuntu on desktop and mint cinnamon on the "good" laptop
>>
>>57716228
i am using that t430 i told you about right now

i originally installed lubuntu on it, and had serious, unacceptable issues. such as suspend not working at all, mouse cursor disappearing, other bullshit

i would go with xubuntu, i've tried it before and didn't have any of that shit happen
>>
File: resources.png (127KB, 742x480px) Image search: [Google]
resources.png
127KB, 742x480px
>>57716306
the good news is if everything fucks up i still have solid laptop and desktop. open to experiment a little bit and won't be super mad if whatever i install doesn't work.

honestly xubuntu looks better to me at this point, thanks for your advice though friend

i like you. we have the same specs on our cheap refurbs
>>
File: 20160915_220324.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160915_220324.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>57716377
now the rubber mint will know of my secret stash, but i'll post this quickly

>build desktop during summer
>spent over 600 usd on it
>realize material things didn't make me happy & i don't like gaming anymore anyways
>buy t430
>its the perfect laptop
>buy 2nd t430 for spare parts if it ever breaks

then
>last month
>spot $125 for an x220
>some girl didn't realize what she had
>buy it

the x220 will be my beater laptop, to do what you're describing here

pic related is my bst
>>
>>57716080
Debian + XFCE.

Fully featured lightweight desktop.
>>
>>57716483
i'll count this as a vote for xubuntu and start downloading the iso rn
>>
>>57716459
polite sage, just realized how stupid what i posted was

i intended to mention that i've begun selling the desktop, and many other of my material things off along the way
>>
>>57716080
If you're willing to put the time in, arch is probably the best you'll get. You can choose the DE you use, so that's not an issue. You install what you need (with a very good package manager), so there's really no bloat unless you put it on yourself. It's got great documentation as well, pretty well-reknowned in the linux community. Installation isn't too difficult if you're already familiar with linux. After the first day or two, you'll be using it efficiently. Just make sure to follow the installation guide and not some shitty virtualbox tutorial you found on youtube.

If you for some reason don't want to ascend, you should give MX-16 a look. It's a collaboration between the mepis and anti-x communities. It describes itself as midweight, which is still better than you'll get from a *buntu.
>>
>>57716597
i plan on tackling a distro like arch in the future. right now I'm educating myself on using the terminal and linux 101

i'm still on baby distros for the time being but when the time comes to try to assemble my own custom Linux this old laptop will almost certainly be my first victim
>>
>>57716080
There is pretty much zero difference between xfce and lxde in terms of computing power needed to run those, save for how much ram it eats.
lxde is abandoned, looks like shit and is even less polished than xfce, which is unpolished and buggy shit in it's own way.
Long story short lxde is long dead, no one really uses it anymore and there is pretty much no reason to anymore.
>>
>>57716518
do it, one of the best looking (IMO) / lightweight and JUST WERKS distros
>>
>>57716756
Arch isn't as hard as many people think. After being a windows user for my whole life, I decided to switch to linux. Arch was my first distro. I had barely used a shell at that point, and it was literally the first time I'd used linux. I didn't even understand what partitions were. It took a while, but I didn't manage to fuck anything up.

If you thorough when you go through installation, you learn a ton too. Just make sure you learn what you're doing as you complete each step, and you'll be good.

I'd recommend just diving right in. Don't keep putting it off, there's not really a reason to. Just be careful as hell when you're doing the partitioning (really read up on what you're doing before you do it. If you want, you can partition from your pre-existing os), and you'll be fine.

Alternatively, if you don't want to keep your other os, you can just install arch over it and not worry about partitioning. Just make sure you back up important files.

It's also fun as hell to dive in with a less than perfect understanding of what's going on. Keeps you on the edge of your seat.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.