[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is IoT just a meme? What are some other uses of IoT tech than

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: espressif.png (224KB, 1370x765px) Image search: [Google]
espressif.png
224KB, 1370x765px
Is IoT just a meme?

What are some other uses of IoT tech than glorified light switches and physical spyware?
>>
>>57712809
no, it's a cancerous tumor that's been propagating the day printers got network interfaces
>>
It's a forced meme by the industry and will end in some shithole just like 3d smartphones
>>
>>57712809
There are some well-working shit in corporate/industrial market that measure various things remotely and have the central server make automatic decisions based on that (turn certain sprinklers on ahead of schedule if soil too dry, etc.).

Consumer IoT products have been complete garbage though.
>>
File: 1431371749020.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1431371749020.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>57712809
None. It's not necessary to have everything connected to a network or internet. It's just a tech-toy fetish some dumb scrubs in the industry have.
>>
>>57712962
It's also driven by data hoarding tendencies of managers.

They think the can somehow make better decision if they have more data, but 99% of time, more data doesn't lead to higher certainty in decision making process.
>>
>>57712809
It depends. Controlling your light with your phone is a hassle, because it doesn't simplify or enhance a simple light switch.

But if networked devices are used for automation, it is good. If my heating switches to Eco mode as everyone leaves the home for work, then comes back on when they return, its convenient. If my shutters and LED sunrise are triggered shortly before my phones alarm goes off, its convenient.
The same goes for e.g. an NFC tag on my work desk that adjusts the lights/temperature of the room, its convenient because its simplifies my life.

Source: I wrote my thesis on IoT and made my own framework + app to connect my home.

I do agree, however, that the current state of IoT is a meme, connected fridges are pretty useless so far.
>>
>>57713139
I like that concept, but being an autist as I am I have a lot of issues with the name INTERNET of Things. It's LAN of Things, really.
>>
>>57713224
Yes, I also keep mine inside my LAN. There is no reason for a light to access the internet. It only needs to know to switch off when my phone is away and no movements are detected. If I want to control my home from outside I use VPN.

A better name for it would be home automation or intelligent home, although intelligent homes should, according to research from the early 2000s, use AI to learn habits from the people living there and create rules themselves. I've been thinking to try to make this with neural networks.

E.g. I wake up in the morning after my alarm went off, then the coffee machine makes my coffee and kitchen lights come on, and so on...
This is also a point where big data makes sense.

It's quite an interesting topic but rather unexplored, because people think IoT are colour leds and fridges with tablets in the doors.
>>
I really wish it was an intranet of things instead

phones are powerful computationally. we shouldn't be surrounded by web portals to some unknown server that processes our data and makes decisions for us. devices should connect to us (using phones or similar portable devices as hubs or control panels) and our devices calculate based on our settings

but alas we live in a world of capitalism and botnets.

its a sad age
>>
File: Meshdesktop[1].png (50KB, 704x470px) Image search: [Google]
Meshdesktop[1].png
50KB, 704x470px
>>57713742
>tfw mesh is DED
>>
>>57713742
>I really wish it was an intranet of things instead
as always look at enterprise class equipment if you dont want to fall for the p2p swarm botnet meme
>>
>>57712892
I agree with this specific anon.

IoT is an old concept that was reworked to sell as the next big thing by industry

We will go through the same phases as other booms: it is gonna be shit and useless at the beginning, but after 10 years it will get good and useful
>>
>>57712962
Necessary no, but neither is cars and electricity dude
>>
>>57712809
Because it's lacking a standard and automatic updates, an IoT device is currently a cancerous hole in every network it touches.
>>
>>57712809
No, you've got it right. Just light bulbs and spyware.

Home security cameras with IP addresses are a cool idea though, simply because wifi is easier than CCTV.
>>
>>57718070
As long as they don't do UPnP for the OEM's APP or some bullshit, and you can only access them locally (or if you VPN in), IP cams are ok.
>>
>>57712809
Smart fridges to auto generate shopping cart list (or auto order them) seems neat.
>>
It's a meme that's going to backfire really bad. They are just giving politicians more reasons to regulate/monitor the internet activities of users
>>
Well engineered mechanical farms and livestock handling could be controlled from remote with IoT or data gathering, you could make a weed farm that all you have is sensors to alert you when something deviates, then go smoke weed the whole time until something goes astray then make money from smoking weed.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.