[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are CPU coolers just a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

File: 35-608-067-01.jpg (39KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
35-608-067-01.jpg
39KB, 640x480px
Are CPU coolers just a meme?
>>
>>57695125
Define meme.
>>
>>57695136
popular idea
>>
Yeah. CPUs will do fine without them unless you're attempting some overclocking because >muh games.
>>
>>57695125
If you don't care about silence or overclocking then yes they're a meme
>>
They start to more and more since modern cpus have much lower TDP. No real point in spending big bucks on them but something cheap and simple like the 212 is worth it
>>
The Jews invented over clocking just so you would have to pay more shekels for a cpu cooler.
>>
Getting a fat heatsink is totally worth it for silent computing.
>>
>>57695152
You retarded? Modern day desktop CPUs cant handle the heat alone, they need a cooler even if it is a reference one bundled with the cpu.
>>
File: LL[1].jpg (164KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
LL[1].jpg
164KB, 720x480px
>buying aftermarket coolers
>>
>>57695180
pretty much this unless you overclock, a cheap 212 or stock cooler will fit any modern shit fine, well, at least intel shit, never had AMD so I can't comment
>>
>>57695224
He meant none reference ones.
>>
>>57695414
Actually, I was just rusing, but apparently /g/ can't play along.
>>
Things I've noticed about the coolers that come with the CPU:

They are loud as shit and sometimes the fans make a weird as fuck electrical noise - this is common.

They barely keep your CPUs heat under control half the time especially on more powerful CPUs

I don't think I'd ever recommend using the cooler that came with your CPU unless you were REALLY tight on budget like you can't even afford 15 bux for a shit tier but still better than the one you got cooler.

The push pin mechanism is also really fucking shit and I don't trust it.
>>
>>57695481
works fine on my 4690k, at most hits 60-65 in the most demanding vidja

>inb4 hurrr how the fuck did you dare buy an unlocked CPU without a 5 pounds aftermarket cooler

its because I haven't had a reason to OC yet, but I still wanted the potential there
>>
>>57695125
Pretty much. The cooler that comes with the processor does a great job most of the time.

Only use for 3rd party coolers is if you want to overclock, or want to bling.
>>
>>57695481
>They are loud as shit

If you look at actual benchmarks, the default Intel coolers are some of the quietest coolers out there.
>>
File: guts1.jpg (3MB, 2000x2512px) Image search: [Google]
guts1.jpg
3MB, 2000x2512px
>almost 2017
>not having a fuckhuge air cooler
>>
>>57695248
I hate those fucking Intel coolers. Those little plastic pins that go into the motherboard break really easily.
>>
>>57695595
is it true you have to handle your case gently with one of those things installed? I kinda want a DH15 but I don't want to have to be careful all the times
>>
>>57695686
Nah. You can even grab the board by the cooler and it won't budge.
But then again, the DH-15 is heavier than mine. But I seriously doubt it would move in a way it would dislodge from the brackets.
>>
>>57695125
>Be AMDrone.
>Running my cheap af unlocked Phenom II X4.
>Hits 80c like it's nothing.
>The PC could hover using the CPU fan.
>Not even overclocked.
Yeah it's a meme alright OP no body needs that shit.
>>
>>57695754
newer CPUs run much cooler
>>
>>57695770
Agreed, unless you live in a hot climate or overclock, and the stock cooler still sounds like a vacuum cleaner in most cases.
>>
>>57695440
>inb4 damage control
>>
>>57695125

Sure, my stock Intel CPU cooler had my CPU running at 45-50c idle. Got a CM 212 Evo and now it's 30-35c idle, sometimes just a hair under 30. Plus they aren't that expensive, kind of a bitch to install if you have never installed. Make sure to use a screwdriver with a big handle, much easier to push down the screws into to tighten cooler into place.
>>
My cpu came without a cooler (i5 6600k),so I didn't really have a choice
>>
>>57695686
the hypoer 212 was a pita to install, and would still move around. I regretted buying it instead of just buying the DH15 to begin with.

Installing the Dh15 took like 10 minutes and its locked in there like a 2 dogs in heat
>>
>>57697498
also the 212 that i got for some reason would cause the brackets to vibrate every time the fan ramps up to 100%. I reckon the brackets wasn't properly secured (hence you can still spin the whole cooler around) even tho the screws are on tight.

But as every1 said, if you dont plan on Overclocking, and just for everyday use and casual gaming the 212 is great for its price point. though there a cryorig equivalent of the 212 i'm not sure if they are better

the only down side of noctua is the Butt ugly khaki fans. Which totally ruins my black/red Hyper Gamin Xtream theme
>>
>>57695595
Is that a micro atx build?
>>
I want to passive cool any current gen i5 or i7 or a Zen, can this be done?
>>
File: 1460509080369.jpg (7KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1460509080369.jpg
7KB, 250x250px
>>57695125

Yes. Use your cpu without a cooler, dumbfuck!

SAGE!
>>
>>57695645
But they're so simply/easy to install and does the job effectively @ stock setting.

Are there other heatsinks that do really easy/simple install method without the need for screws/shit?
>>
>>57697566
I think I have a 212, been awhile since I installed it.

Mines installed on amd set up and seems secure as hell. Perhaps that's a Intel issue?
>>
File: 1409726847.jpg (17KB, 528x337px) Image search: [Google]
1409726847.jpg
17KB, 528x337px
>>57695125
They're a meme. Go commando for maximum cooling. You don't want anything in the way of your cooling, like paste for example, rite?
>>
>>57695125
big ass radiators are a meme for everyone whos not going all in OC
unless you want to buy 1 brick of aloominum and keep using it on all your future builds
>>
>>57697884
Yes.
>>
>>57695125
Stocks ones are fine if you are not overclocking
>>
>>57697001
>memelake CPU
>stock cooler
>29c idle temps

Is this magic?
>>
>>57695125
You don't NEED them unless you are overclocking, live in a hot area and or using one of amd's hotter cpu's, but they are a good idea if you want quieter operation which the noise can get really annoying after awhile. if you are using a stock cooler, the cooler might be more reliant on the cooling your case can provide.
>>
I bought one of the meme coolers. I can't hear the fan and it keeps my CPU cooler than the stock cooler, so I'm happy.

Not sure I'd buy a giant one unless I was overclocking.
>>
>>57699111
Please could you recommend a heatsink
>>
>>57695125
Maybe the meme is high TDP ICs. The average person could do just fine with a Baytrail Atom and they're passively cooled thanks to the, what, 7W TDP?
>>
>>57699337
no, expected results if you dont oc.
>>
>>57698876
>>57697566
>>57697498

The evo 212 is able to twirl around a bit on its axis once you've installed it and secured it down. Its normal and doesn't affect anything, other people report that all of them do this.

Once the thermal paste is no longer fresh I would imagine it no longer does this. Even if it did it doesn't affect cooling.
>>
>>57697566
>though there a cryorig equivalent of the 212 i'm not sure if they are better

You must mean H7, it runs a few degrees C cooler by average than 212 and it's really damn quiet too. also a lot easier to install
>>
>>57704844
How is the 212 hard to install?

-take fan off heatsink
-mount backplate and put top mounting screws through correct hole as indicated by socket type
-put washer on the backplate to hold top mount screws in place
-do this for all 4 holes and then mount the heatsink and screw in
-reattach fan

How would it be any simpler? Its even easier if you have a friend or family member provide an extra set of hands.
>>
>>57704719
alright that's good to know.
i think my problem was the little bulge and the little notch on the 212 where the bracket was suppose to i guess brace on the heatsink was moving around. I dunno but the rattling sounds was bretty loud i did get replacement brackets from CM but by that time my NHD15 already came and i never looked back.

>>57704934
putting the bracket on was a pain. Im not saying its overly difficult but compared to noctua, it's hella hard
>>
>>57704981
found the sound clip i made of the rattling

https://clyp.it/5g5x0xaj
>>
>>57696060
You're a moron. He was clearly trying to bait people into actually trying that retarded shit
>>
>>57695248
>use this on non overclocked cpu
>max tdp is 65 watts
>jew shills still tell me to buy aftermarket cooler
Damn /g/
>>
>>57695248
>Bought i5 2400 when it came out
>Stock cooler the whole time
>Idled at 45is and hit 95 after a few minutes under full load
>Finally changed thermalpaste recently
>Idles at 35 and still hits 90 under full load

Fuck it mang it just twerks. Wish it was a bit quieter though. Kinda got lucky with this build and how stable its been since I managed to thread 3 or so motherboard screws so I'm stuck with this until I replace almost everything, which won't be for a while.
>>
>>57695125
Yes, just remove them.
>>
Anyone ever used a cooler like that without the fan, just the rad? How'd it go?
>>
Depends if you overclock or not. If you don't, then you don't need one.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.