[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Game development

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: LWJGL_logo.svg.png (103KB, 2000x722px) Image search: [Google]
LWJGL_logo.svg.png
103KB, 2000x722px
Where do i start?

I'm the type of person who likes to learn from the lower levels first and building up instead of using something like unity.

I'm not familiar with the math involved either. I don't have high expectations but can someone point me in the right direction so i could make a shitty pacman clone by the end of a month or two by myself?
>>
Pick up a game engine, like Game Maker if you want to dick around. Game Maker is pretty easy to use and has been used in a quite a few indie games.

Obviously, it's still a limited tool and many devs eventually go on to something else, but it's a good teaching tool.
>>
Game Development is all about imitation and theft. The latter is when you're at your peak, when you're considered professional.
>>
>>57694816
>I'm the type of person who likes to learn from the lower levels first and building up instead of using something like unity.
Then start with logical circuitry

http://www.nand2tetris.org/

This might be right up your alley
>>
File: Floating-Islands.jpg (758KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Floating-Islands.jpg
758KB, 1024x1024px
>>57694816
Step one leave 4chan forever and never take advice from anyone who browse it - they only want to see you fail or destroy your work
Step two turn off your inner autist and always take the easiest route: you'll have to learn how to program, make art, 3d model, design characters, game mechanics, levels, collaborate etc. These are not trivial things and it's a colossal amount of work to take on
Step three give up 5 years of your life releasing 3/10 would not play again shovelware until you make something worthwhile
Step four you're still making barely enough money to leave your mother's basement so
Step five regret your life choices (or not depending on how much you love what you're doing)
>>
>>57695497
Step 2-4 depends on your game idea, originality and your will to execute balanced gameplay.
>>
wow u guys are so mean, i just wanted some direction.

Also i'm not doing this for money, just to express my creativity
>>
>>57695630
I use my hair to express myself.
>>
>>57695630
http://lazyfoo.net/tutorials/SDL/index.php

Have fun.
>>
>>57695630
this is 4chan, what do you expect?

now go kys and express your creativity with that.
>>
>>57694816
Well first of all I would say you need to know two very basic things about video games : 2D games are basically made out of moving images while 3D games are basically made out of moving objects.

The only legitimate maths you need to understand are vector mathematics, look up some basic formulas for interacting with vector spaces ( x , y coordinates )

Then pick up the best engine you can handle depending on how much you are able to program. Be realistic , if you cant code for shit and want to slap a couple assets together into a game then by all means start at Game Maker.

If you already know how to program in the slightest you should already know how to make arcade style games. Pac Man could be represented using a byte array for the map , where 0 is empty , 1 is a wall and a couple more types for points and ghosts.

Pretty much like this : http://cboard.cprogramming.com/csharp-programming/135391-pacman-collision-detection-2d-array.html
>>
>>57695677
/thread

Lazyfoo is great for game dev. But you have to know C++ else it might be a little bit difficult.
More generaly look at SDL and timing game.

À game like Pacman or Mario are usualy made this way.
>>
>>57694816
Since you're going this route, one of two things is probably true:

>You think you're going to make money with this

Stop. Get a business degree, accounting, something useful, and continue to pursue videogames(potentially including making them) as a hobby.

>You think the only thing you can ever be passionate about is videogames because you're a lonely, sheltered suburban kid

Stop. Get a business degree, accounting, something useful, and continue to pursue videogames(potentially including making them) as a hobby.

>You have a brilliant idea for the next legendary game

SAVE THAT IDEA. DO NOT TOUCH IT. Write down everything you can and don't so much as look at it for at least five years, and you have a portfolio of other productions, and are competent generally.

You will hate yourself if you waste your big idea on a school project or something, or pursue it while your skills still aren't up to making it good. Don't do it.
>>
>>57695766
>Timing
Tiling games.

And sdl can be used with various languages
>>
>>57695772
>>You have a brilliant idea for the next legendary game
>SAVE THAT IDEA. DO NOT TOUCH IT. Write down everything you can and don't so much as look at it for at least five years, and you have a portfolio of other productions, and are competent generally.
>You will hate yourself if you waste your big idea on a school project or something, or pursue it while your skills still aren't up to making it good. Don't do it.

Fuck my life, but i know what i want to do, this is my motivation to do it. This hasnt been made yet...
>>
>>57694816
1. Google it
Blurg above

2. Assuming you know nothing, it will take more than a couple of months
Writing code takes effort, research takes effort, design takes effort.

3. Learn the basics of the language you plan to use
Gotta learn it to use it. I'd recommend either Python, C#, JavaScript, or (god forbid) C/C++.
Each has pros/cons, limitations, difficulties. Choose the one you like best.

4. Learn basic software development fundamentals
You've picked a hammer, know you need to figure out how to use it. Data structures, basic algorithms (sorting, selection, deletion primarily).

5. I'd recommend you pick a framework to use like Mono, PyGame, Unity, SDL, SMFL. You need to be serious, reinventing the wheel in a good education tool, but it is also a major waste of time when optimized and ready to go frameworks of varying abstraction are available.

6. Paper. Draw your game on paper, identify the components, attributes, actions. Model those elements into objects / entities / states / data in your program.

The majority of programming is done on paper or paper substitutes from my experience.

7. You don't need to be good at math, but you need to be aware of the following concepts - Arithmetic, Calculus, Vectors, Matrices, Some Physics equations.

8. You should be pragmatic and realistic at all stages of your 'project', you will probably fail to achieve what you want. You'll fail most of your projects, that is just how it goes, you'll fail or put of a project for another project and you'll forget about it.

To summarize:
1. Google
2. Research and RTFM
3. Pick a language, learn the language.
4. Learn softdev concepts (Data structures, basic Algorithms)
5. Pick a framework - don't roll your own to start with.
6. Paper is god
7. Some math required - learn it
8. Remain leveled and pragmatic with your expectations.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.