[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Windows 7 still viable as a main OS?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 5

File: index.jpg (9KB, 269x187px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
9KB, 269x187px
Is Windows 7 still viable as a main OS?
>>
File: Win7_2016-11-26_01.png (210KB, 760x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Win7_2016-11-26_01.png
210KB, 760x1050px
>>57694323

Yes.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416804

It goes on sale regularly for $119.99 at newegg. Shop around and you can get legal copies for cheaper.
>>
No, kill yourself or install gentoo.
>>
If you're willing to commit 30 hours of your life to getting updates sorted out. It's a clusterfuck of despair to update.
>>
>>57694414
checking the updates for 30 hours right?
>>
>>57694433
https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/3w1kfp/windows_update_is_broken_for_w7_x64_ent_wsp1_and/cxso3r4/
>>
Why not?
>>
>windows
>main OS
pick one
>>
>>57694323
compared to Win-8 & Win-10 yeah, Win-7 is the last practical OS microsoft has made, i mostly use Linux and i love the GNU/GPL FOSS philosophy but i do use windows a little bit too, and so far i have not liked 8 or 10 and prefer to keep 7 on an old laptop for those windows only solutions
>>
>>57694456
yup, i can believe it, thats why i dont let my windows 7 install ever touch the internet, i do a clean install, and never configured the wifi so my laptop never sees microsoft windows update,
>>
I'm actually considering just dual booting it with linux or whatever and just using it offline for games that wont run in linux. Then again could just do that with 10 which I currently have installed
>>
>>57694323
yeah it's fine, ms have been trying some shit to force you into w10 but it's only gonna make retards give up
>>
File: 08f.jpg (40KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
08f.jpg
40KB, 600x600px
>>57694392
>buying windows
>>
>>57694323
>Can't update normally
>Can't update with WSUS
>Manually install individual updates
>No idea which of them work
>Keep fingers crossed
>System runs like shit and slower than usual
>Nearly died of disgust

M$ has done something to fuck up Windows 7, it is broken and useless now.
>>
>>57694829
pretty much this

>decide to check out w10 after months of disregarding it
>download the most fresh version off my ptracker
>some activator is running in the background but I don't like it so I delete all traces of it
>windows still says its activated

literally no point
>>
>>57694836
yup, both my PC and laptop had wauserv stuck at constant 30-50% CPU usage with no updates actually being done
>>
>>57694852
M$ decided to shit and piss on their only loyal customers of desktops. Now they have successfully fucked off gamers and power users. Many people I know have switch to Mac or simply using their smartphone to manage their life.

Enterprise users are sticking with their old installations, no company or educational institution I have seen has upgraded to Windows 10.

Microshit is dead and soon bankrupt. Sandy Nutella outdid Ballamer in wrecking the company.
>>
>>57694836
I didn't know about the wsus thing, i wonder if that's why our clients updates has stopped, they have small business server, and updates having been running lately.
>>
>>57694879
I have extensively Google search this issue, each answer offers a different set of updates I should get manually from online catalog.

M$ forums the idiot moderators dodge the question and copy paste bullshit from their CSR script.

No one has any insight as to why they stopped updates, even WSUS is useless now.

I got so frustrated because I have paid license keys for Windows 7 and 8.1 and I can't use them.

I am now on Linux, middle finger to fuckers at Microsoft.
>>
>>57694914
I just thought it was sbs being shit, cause you know, it is shit....

Trying to get an answer out of people on the ms forums is so cryptic lol.
>>
>>57694878
>soon bankrupt

hope so, I wonder how their stupid xbox brand is doing
>>57694914
>M$ forums the idiot moderators dodge the question and copy paste bullshit from their CSR script.

kek whenever I google a windows issue and it brings me to their stupid shit I have to scroll through countless of generic '''fixes''' posted by pajeets. useless fucking company
>>
>>57694836
>updating

Why? I'm still on original non-SP1 without any updates and I've never had a virus. The only weird thin I noticed was occasionally a command prompt window in russian flashes up for a split second. Never caused me a problem though
>>
>>57694947
>>57694952
Microshit has the worst customer service staff. One programmer actually called them out for not being able to answer a simple yes or no question.

The pajeet typed 3 pages of nonsense about unrelated fixes. So pissed off reading their crap solutions.

I got more help from HP forums about Windows fixes than Microshit. Shame on them.
>>
>>57694954
Updates are necessary to patch the browser and system against malware and ransomware. Certain exploits allow some nigger to control your PC remotely without you realizing and do all kinds of shit. Your personal info and data can be stolen.

It is very risky to connect a non-updated Windows installation to the internet.
>>
>>57694878
>M$ decided to shit and piss on their only loyal customers of desktops. Now they have successfully fucked off gamers and power users. Many people I know have switch to Mac or simply using their smartphone to manage their life.
This. I've been using windows since I got my first PC when I was 6 years old. Tried linux years ago because curious but couldn't get wifi working so went back on windows for many more happy years. Then a permanent 'pls upgrade to w10' tray icon, disabled that shit, turned autoupdates off completely. Then hear of people getting automatically upgraded because they closed the notification and other assorted fuckery and noped the fuck out over to Mint. One should not have to treat their operating system as an adversary to be countered.
>>
>>57694968
>The pajeet typed 3 pages of nonsense about unrelated fixes. So pissed off reading their crap solutions.

this always fucking happens, I literally do not understand what the purpose of that shit is, might as well not answer. and they type in a weirdly cryptic manner too you never fucking understand what the fuck they're trying to get across
>>
>>57694998
They aren't trying to get anything across, they just want to get paid. It's like padding your homework with nonsense so that it looks long and the teacher gives you a good mark without actually reading it.
>>
>>57695023
The sad thing is that I can offer more help to the entire forum using Google search than the hired pajeets of Microshit forums.

They should hire me instead.
>>
>>57695023
>>57695031
I've honestly been suspecting that they're bots for a while now, no doubt Microsoft has some AI research
>>
>>57695031
>They should hire me instead.
Are you willing to work for $0.02 per post?
>>
>>57695050
Maybe. I would negotiate for $0.10.
>>
>>57694952
>stupid
Genuine here, the xbox one s is the cheapest media pc available $329 aud cant be beat, makes it as cheap as a 4k blu ray player but has a plethora of other features and also plays video games (not that i would use it for such).
>>
>>57695072
are the sales good though? I'd legit buy one if it could run every non-pc 360 game at native 1080p
>>
>>57695072
>Genuine here, the xbox one s is the cheapest media pc available $329 aud cant be beat,
My thinkpad was less than that, can also be plugged into a TV, and can do actually useful stuff. Also it's portable. No reason to buy an xbox.
>>
>>57695087
Aud? Your missing all my points, i doubt it can output 4k video and play 4k bluray. Its a good device for av fans (audio visual, not what your thinking)

>>57695086
Idk, the marketing is heavy here in Australia. I never even game with it, i sold the game it came with so it was essentially $300
>>
>>57694323
Was using Fedora 24, just switched to windows 7 as main OS, i fucking miss Fedora,(GNOME especially).

Just so i could play over watch with friends.
>>
>>57695117
>Your missing all my points, i doubt it can output 4k video and play 4k bluray. Its a good device for av fans (audio visual, not what your thinking)
Still pointless for me; I don't have a 4k TV and my datacap wouldn't really permit me to download much 4k content even if I did. RIP
>>
>>57695398
your not the target audience then. But my points still stand, especially witg it being the same price as a 4k bluray player.
>>
>>57695436
4k bluray players being overpriced doesn't make me look at it any more positively :(
>>
I still use it without any real issues. I'm used to it and I like it.
>>
>>57694323
It will be viable for another 5 years at least.

Nice shilling, though, Pajeet.
>>
>>57694323
Viable? Yes. It is outperformed by later versions, though.
>>
File: [011610].jpg (37KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
[011610].jpg
37KB, 500x400px
>>57694323
8.1 is better.
>B-but muh metro

If you don't take a hour or two to customize your OS and make it how you want it, get off this fucking board.
>>
>>57694392
>119

are you fucking stupid? there are a bazillion websites tha sells legit keys for win7 8 and 10 for 10-20 dollars. Examples are kinguin, ebay, sometimes even amazon, etc.

if you buy windows for 120 you're an idiot
>>
>>57695981
Ah well if some anonymous guy on the internet says it's better, then it obviously is. Who needs arguments or facts.
>>
>using anything else than w7
best around system best compatibility for old games and has the best programs, all the other windows are for cucks and whos using them should consider suicide.
>>
>>57694323
Yeah we standardise on it at work, it's still absolutely fine, though coming back to it from windows 10 or 8.1 it feels noticeably old.
>>
>>57694414
Yep, if you do want Windows 7 try to grab a SP1 image, install the convenience rollup and run SURT before updating or it hangs.
>>
>>57694323
As long as i use Win7 for gaymen only, i
switched off updates before this update circlejerk and feelsgoodman.
>>
>>57694990
You tried debian as your first linux?
>>
>>57696359
Not that anon but i did, running debian on server and debian with i3 on laptop. Desktop is still on Windows 7, looking to throwing it out and go full linux with custom desktop. Also easier to ssh into my server when needed.
>>
>>57696359
If you're referring to years ago I don't think so, but honestly I can't remember.
>>
Windows 7 is still viable to fix update problem turn off windows updates disconnect internet install Microsoft Update KB3172605 & restart then turn windows update back on and check for updates.
this work on a system that has been update before

On a fresh install install KB3020369 THEN KB3172605
This well fix Checking for update loop problem
>>
>>57694392
>implying people buy windows
>>
>>57694323
Yes, in fact, I'd say it's more usable than 8.1, 10, or Linux in that regard. Don't worry about updates; they just slow it down so you're more tempted to upgrade/reinstall. Source: I have one update (the service pack) on my main system and it still boots in 30 seconds after five years. Contrast that to systems I've let update which can take minutes to load.
>>
>>57694456
Currently dealing with this problem on a fresh install, thanks for this
>>
File: Untitled.png (13KB, 899x139px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
13KB, 899x139px
>>57697430
Install these four updates before you enable WinUpdate:

> [1] Installing and searching for updates is slow and high CPU usage occurs in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810

> [2] How to update the Windows Update Agent to the latest version
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104

> [3] April 2015 servicing stack update for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3020369

> [4] July 2016 update rollup for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172605

Restart after each. Now, enable WU, it should find all the updates in less than 5 minutes and start download them.

Block the updates in screenshot to avoid telemetry. You may want to not install the newer rollouts (October+), if you have to, install the "Security Only" ones.
>>
When your Installing Windows 7

DISCONNECT THE INTERNET

At Product License Key Page UN tick Automatic Activation

To Activate Windows
Click on Windows 7 loader
Select Load Soft Mod
Pop up well Open and Close Then Open Close Pop up
Well Restart
On Restart Go To Control Panel -System
To See If Your Activated

THEN CONNECT INTERNET

Windows Updates
After Windows Has Installed And Connect To The Internet and Start Downloading
Updates
There Are Three Update That You Should Not Install

1. KB971033
Windows Activation Technologies Checker

This Update Detect Any Activation Bypass and if Installed Your Copy of Windows
Will Be Classed as Not a Genuine Copy
Can Be Removed But a Pain To Do

2. Sliver light

3. Bing Desktop

Microsoft Desktop Spy Were Keep Track of What You Type and Search
When Install can.t be Removed

All You Have To Do is Hide These Updates

1. Start Button
2. Programs
3. Windows Updates
4. View Updates To Install
5. Untick The Update
6. Right Mouse Click On Update Hide

To fix Update checking problem do the following
Don.t Connect the internet
install windows update agent 7.6
install KB3020369 then KB3172605
reboot connect internet check for updates

Only install security & Net frame updates
>>
To Remove Telemetry in windows 7 the program is in
windows/ system 32./ Compat Tel
That where digitrackrunner is.

Just boot from a live linix usb or cd go to above folder & wipe
>>
>>57694878
where on earth do you work. I have seen plenty w10 upgrades at educational institutions in West-Germany and the Netherlands.
>>
Absolutley, have had win 10 on standby for over a year now and never ever use with one exception.
>>
>>57694433
Ms intentionally shat on the win7 update servers to focus on 10

Its their way of saying hurry the f up n upgrade. I say fuckem
>>
>>57694323
Yes, it's better than that degenerate anti-trump cuckold OS linux.
>>
>>57694392
Or you can just pirate it.What are you a soccer mom?
>>
>>57696277
>best around system
Don't know what that means... try using proper grammar.
>best compatibility for old games
I've never once had any issue running an old game on later versions.
>best programs
Give me one example that runs on 7 but doesn't on later versions.
>consider suicide for using later versions
Erm... okay...
>>
Ueah you can, but just keep in mind that future Intel processors have no Win7 support/compatibility
>>
I have an actual question, why the fuck Win 7 SP1 (fresh install) won't fucking update? I've installed Win7 on many PCs at my work and installed on my second computer at home and this piece of shit won't update.
>>
>>57698352
read above
>>
>>57698352
Did you bother to read the thread? >>57697745
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.