[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

HELP

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3

File: 1407974231186.jpg (96KB, 300x259px) Image search: [Google]
1407974231186.jpg
96KB, 300x259px
i fucked up /g/. please help me i'm despairing hard right now.

here's the situation: bought a new pc, came with windows 10, it's shit so i decided to install windows 7 instead, and up to there all fine. except it now has NO DRIVERS. at all. no network (wifi or cable), no usb ports, my notebook doesn't have a dvd port, etc... . the os works with whatever basic components are there and i have the windows.old file from when i downgraded still on the pc.

i have tried googling it but the solutions they propose often involve using usbs and shit which i can't. i've also tried factory resetting but while following the instructions to do it it didn't give me the option anywhere i could see.

a strange detail is that it can still boot from USBs in BIOS and usbs still light up when i put them in the port, even though they're apparently not being recognized.

wtf do i do, i don't want to have my new pc become a brick because the fucking os doesn't come with a fucking network or usb drive ffs. i do have another pc available if it helps.
>>
I hate to say it, use windows 8?
>>
File: 1442395510996.jpg (96KB, 600x546px) Image search: [Google]
1442395510996.jpg
96KB, 600x546px
>>57689618
Install Gentoo.

Or Mint.
>>
>>57689618
install gnu/linux ob desu senpai
>>
>>57689618
Consider suicide.
>>
File: 1475563378128.png (611KB, 710x784px) Image search: [Google]
1475563378128.png
611KB, 710x784px
Just use Windows 10 you sperg
>>
return it?
>>
>>57689653
>>57689657
coes linux come with drivers by default? because if it doesn't come with either network or usb drivers then it'll hardly change a thing.

>>57689687
not something i can do right now.
>>
>>57689734
99% chance all hardware will just work out-of-the-box with Linux.

Technoligically illiterate retards on this board like to claim Linux has no drivers, when the reality is that Windows is the OS where you have to worry about drivers.

When people buy pre-builts Windows comes installed with drivers, or they buy hardware with support for recent versions of Windows, and chances are good there is no Windows drivers for that hardware on older versions of Windows.

On GNU/Linux all your hardware will just-work without ever having to worry about this again.
>>
>>57689618
guys please. i know it's my fault but i seriously don't know what to do anymore.

i've considered creating a linux boot usb and trying to install it from bios but i don't know if that would help with anything or just make me be fucked except on linux rather than windows.
>>
>>57689808
when it comes to linux i'm basically computer illiterate. any version/distro you'd suggest (other than memes) or that has the highest chance of success?

even just having access to the net again would be enough to solve it.

the issue is i don't even know if i can boot linux from usb and when i tried to do it for win7 via bios it kept giving me the "no driver detected error". to make it work i installed straight from the usn burned with the .iso, hence why i have the windows.old file still in the hd.
>>
>>57689808
>>57689819
http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-install-linux-mint-on-your-windows-pc/
>>
>>57689878
It comes with drivers for nearly everything.

If it doesn't have drivers for everything on your machine it's probably because they're just nonfree software that distro X didn't install because you left the box unchecked in the installer.
Mint is easy stuff, Debian based, without the bloat of ubuntu; packaged with plenty of nonfree stuff in case you need it.
>>
>>57689618
>download drivers and live linux iso on another pc
>put it on a usb drive
>boot into live linux
>copy drivers to your windows partition
>boot back to windows
>install drivers
>>
>>57689618
Install ubuntu or some shit, it'll work immediately, enable proprietary drivers if necessary in software & updates.
>>
>>57689618
Fake and gay. How did you install windows 7 without boot media since you have no USB or DVD drive?
>>
>>57689968
>>57689940
>>57689891
>>57689808
danke, in the process of testing it now, will report with results, hopefully this'll solve it
>>
>>57689993
the notebook came wih win10 and the usb ports worked fine (it has no dvd port/entrance at all). but after installing win 7 from the iso-burned usb it just spazzed out and stopped having drivers for anything, from networks to usb, etc... hence the situation i'm in. sorry if i was unclear but i'm kinda agitated because of this.
>>
>>57690005
to save yourself in the future, make a custom iso with winlite or something so you can inject the drivers and whatever else you need from install.
It's always good to keep a fine tuned install disk to prevent the initial setup stress
>>
>>57689618
OP here keeping the thread bumped, currently downloading mint.

question though, is there any problem if the computer i'm using to download and burn mint on the usb is a mac? any risk of it interfering with anything or should it un all the same?
>>
>>57689808
>and chances are good there is no Windows drivers for that hardware on older versions of Windows.
Windows 7 came out in 2009 motherfucker, I'd like to see you get jaunty jackalope or karmic koala to run on that same laptop. You don't get away with comparing an old OS to a new one.
>But muh updates!
Yeah, windows 7 had an update too, to 10.
>>57689819
>just make me be fucked except on linux rather than windows.
This is exactly what will happen. Linux provides no refuge to those who screw up like you do.
>>
>>57690176
i know, i should have thought of doing something like that, i just never expected the windows iso to be so fucking barebones it wouldn't have usb or networking services of any kind.
>>
>>57690265
>i just never expected the windows iso to be so fucking barebones
These things were not around when that windows iso was made. Do you expect microsoft to read the future? Again, try getting a Linux distro made the same time as that iso file to run on your computer. Go on and see what happens.
>>
>>57690936
well i didn't expect usb ports to have changed so much a relatively recent windows OS wouldn't recognize them.
>>
>>57691091
>relatively recent windows OS
It's seven years old. Linux distros aren't even supported for that long. No Linux ISO from five years ago will run on new hardware. Not without serious amounts of updates.
>>
>>57689618
updating:
downloaded latest mint iso and burned it, it botts from usb, problem now is that it gets stuck on the splash screen, trying to find solutions online for this, might try an older version or another distro to see if that's the problem.

trying to boot with compatibility gave me "(initramfs) unable to find a medium containing a live file system" error but the solutions proposed online are kinda confusing
>>
>>57689618
You fucked up because you didn't do your fucking research.

You deserve what you get OP.
>>
Had a crazy idea:
Boot a LiveCD of any distro and make a 1GB FAT32 partition. Use the LiveCD to download the Windows 7 drivers for your computer and install Windows 7. Then delete and merge the FAT32 partition with your main one (or keep it in case you need the drivers again).
>>
>>57691557
i don't mind trying that, but first i need to be able to actually boot into a distro. so far not much luck with mint, gonna try an earlier version and see how that goes, then test other distros.

though it could also be the usb drive fucking up so i might also purchase another to try and see if that solves it.

it's frustrating, you get close to solving a problem then another one shows up.
>>
>>57689878
Just go with Ubuntu or Linux Mint. What ever you think looks best out of the box. I would be very surprised if it could not boot or install. Most likely you will have no problems at all.
>>
>>57691674
If i can get ubuntu 16.10 to work instantly will all my hardware on an 11 year old thinkpad with i386 pentium m, then it should be able to use the blanket drivers to run shit out of the box on new hardware
>>
>>57691379
yea, that's linux for you. any distro is completely dependent on a repo anyway. program xyz is not in your distro's repo? fuck you, you can't use it. a few years have passed and the autist who maintained the repo took it down? fuck you, the distro release is now limited to what is on the cd, nothing can be updated or installed. great indeed.
>>
>>57689618
ignore all other comments. what you need to do is to get windows 7 installation iso to a working windows computer. download all drivers for your laptop too. then you need to integrate the drivers into the installation image, and then write that image to the usb stick. then you can install windows 7 without issues. no linux required.
>>
>>57695484
for further information consult google. integrating drivers is done using "gimagex", google that for detailed instructions. after that, for writing the iso to usb drive you should probably use a program called "rufus".
>>
>>57689618
What is this, fucking bait? Are you a master troll or something?
Windows coming with no drivers is like a prostitute coming with no experience, you're not supposed to teach them How to suck dick.

Did you get the copy where windows is spelt in hindi and scribbled on in sharpie?
>>
>>57689734
My experience is that at least for the laptops i've used, wifi never works after installing windows from scratch; i always have to download drivers. While on linux wifi always works directly after installing (and all other internal hardware).
>>
Solus™ OS with XHCI does not have this problem.
>>
>doesn't come with drivers
>OP's solution is not to install the missing drivers but to instead freak out
>>
>>57689618
tether connection from mobile should work.
go to manufacturer site and get drivers for your board . if tethering doesn't work then use pc of a friend or internet cafe if there are any close and get the driver on usb drive and install on your pc.
>>
>>57695816
fuck off kevin
>>
>>57689618
You dumb fuck, it was meant to use Windows 10, install Windows 10 and the drivers will be there.
>>
If usbs don't work in windows but still work on boot the put the drivers on a live USB of some sort. Boot from live usb, mount you windows partition and copy the drivers in. Restart and install. Easy.
>>
Bro just take the hdd out and install your shit from a separate machine lmao

Or use linux, which is a godsend and something you should be using already
>>
>>57689878
Ubuntu MATE is the best. Never use mint. NEVER.
>>
>>57689618
Use a live USB Ubuntu, run Firefox and search for Windows 7 drivers for your PC model.

Save the drivers on another USB. Clean install Windows 7, install all drivers offline and connect to net....

and here is where the real problem starts, Microshit has stopped giving updates for Windows 7/8, your system will just hang at checking for updates.

Only solution is to use Windows 10 or Linux.
>>
>>57690238
Fuck off Microsoft shill
>>
>>57691491
Just get Ubuntu
>>
>>57691379
>>57692960
Stop same fagging you fucking degenerate
>>
>>57692960
>What is compiling from source
>>
>>57689618
Poor kid..
>>
>>57689618
get linux live cd download drivers put them on hdd boot into wincuck install drivers kill yourself install gentoo
>>
>>57689618
Install Debian or Ubuntu.
>>
>>57689618
Get two flash drives. Use another computer to download and make a Linux Live USB. Download your windows 7 drivers and put them on the other flash drive.

On your bricked machine, boot the linux live flash drive. Move your drivers from the second flash drive to your internal HDD. Boot up windows and install what you need to get a usable machine.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.