[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Budget PC build

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

I have 3 pcs circa 2007. Pic related, its the models. It has an intel duo core processor which I know won't run jackshit with a steady frame rate for gaming. The best I think I can do is probably replace the cpu with a quad core, get a bigger heat sink, and throw in a cheap graphics card. What does /g/ think is best for building a cheap gaming PC with these fuckers?

Also, I only have about $60 USD on my account so buying the fucking parts needed is limited to the cheap hardware.
>>
>>57689579
Install Lubuntu

>but anon, I want to play video games

Find a real hobby
>>
>>57689579
You can't afford anything remotely decent for $60 USD

Get a job you turboNEET
>>
>>57689579
I have a Core 2 Duo system with a old Radeon card circa-2009 and it plays games like CS:GO just fine
>>
Combine the two computers for parallel processing
>>
>>57689579

You could go that route, but you'll probably have to buy a better power supply. Prebuilt towers tend to come with the bare minimum supply necessary.

If you can get a cheap, compatible Core2Quad, throw all the RAM into one build, and add in like a used 750Ti or something (given your budget) the PC would probably be usable for basic gaming.
>>
>>57689579
Make sure that they have Core 2 Duo's and not Pentium D's. If it has the latter and the model number starts with GX (i.e. GX520/GX620), you can't upgrade to a Core 2 Quad, let alone a Duo. But if they don't have a GX (i.e. OptiPlex 3xx/7xx) then you should be okay with a Q6600. IIRC, they won't support the later models (Q8200/Q9550/etc.)
>>
>>57689695
What this guy says. Look up the fastest CPU your system can handle (I imagine it's the Q6700 for all of those machines) and get one within reasonable spec (for example, a Q6600 since they're much cheaper.) Load it up with 8GB of RAM, a second hand 7xx GeForce card, a good (500w+ name brand) power supply, and you've got yourself a decent gaming box that should run most older or less-demanding newer games.

Don't be concerned about the power supply compatibility. It's fatter than a normal ATX power supply but the mounting holes are the same, and a regular one will fit. The motherboard connectors are not proprietary, either. That last part is only true of the really old Dells (P2/P3/early P4 models.)
>>
File: 7fd.gif (1MB, 494x320px) Image search: [Google]
7fd.gif
1MB, 494x320px
>>57689599
>Implying that computer building is not a hobby.
This is why /g/ exits

>>57689626
>*cough* black friday *cough* dumbass

>>57689656
Thanks anon but can you run battlefield 1 on any specific specs; and for that can you provide specs of your PC?

>>57689683
>>57689695
>>57689719
Thanks anon, /g/ is the ultimate source for this shit, its better than pajeet tech support. Glad you can help. Btw, how do you guys feel about refurbished cpu?
>>
>>57689959
Refurbished processors are the same as used, just with a """professional""" checking to make sure they work. Might as well go used if it's cheaper.
>>
>>57690021

Apply the same for consoles? (In my country, MS sells Refurbished XBO consoles)
>>
>>57690678
A big company like MS might be replacing worn components like disc drives and capacitors and stuff.
>>
>>57689831

>the motherboard connectors are not proprietary

So then is it possible to take the guts of one of these prebuilts Optiplex's and put them in a new case? I can't stand the weird hinge thing some of these have and I would like more space for hard drives
>>
>>57689579
Install XP and setup a home media server.
>>
>>57689579
OP, here is your plan.

>Install Windows 7 on each machine using the Windows 7
>Perform the Windows 10 upgrade
>Sell each machine for at least $60

Now you will have $180 to work with.
You said you have $60 on top of that so you have a total of $240 for your new PC project.

Then you will buy a Dell Precision T1500 like this one from ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-T1500-Workstation-Intel-Core-i7-880-3-06hz-4GB-DVDRW-NO-HD-FX580-/232155553374?hash=item360d8c9e5e:g:6hYAAOSwHMJYNL0g

That's $120 shipped

You'll need 4gb more of RAM. You'll have to check what RAM it has when you get it but it won't be more than $20 for the upgrade. $140.

The PSU in this is only 350 watts. But it's good enough.

You need a hard drive. Just get something that works. I recommend a $20 320gb Western Digital Blue. Solid and reliable. $160.

You have $80 left for a GPU. You will be buying a GTX 950 on the second hand market. Something like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-GEFORCE-GTX-950-2GB-/192033006744?hash=item2cb60f2498:g:IK8AAOSwA3dYMhVb

It will push your PSU up toward the limit but it -will- work.

If you can do all of this or something close to it you will have a decent gaming machine at the end from the pile of junk you've got in front of you right now.
>>
>>57692891
windows 10 upgrade isn't free anymore
>>
>>57689959
>wanting to run battlefield 1
>60$ budget
kek
>>
>>57692924
Then he'll have to sell them with Windows 7 or Vista (whichever they have a key for). It won't really make a lot of difference.

You can also sell them with Windows 10 installed but not registered and tell normies they don't really need to register since all it does is lock you out of changing your wallpaper and a couple of other useless options.
>>
>>57692891
And here is a video of this particular CPU+GPU setup in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFAZJCXyuLA

He gets good frame rates on several modern games.
>>
Are all powerswitch pin connectors that connect to your case on motherboards the same?
>>
Get a job at mcdonalds.
Flip burgs for a few weeks and get a real computer.
>>
>>57691159
No. The motherboards are BTX, and the only three manufacturers to ever use BTX are Dell, HP, and Gateway. It only means the CONNECTORS that hook the board to the power supply are not proprietary.
>>
>>57692891
This is a really good idea
>>
I've run optiplex machines my whole life. There is a $30 GPU you can get, but you don't really need it.

You want max RAM which is I believe 4GB for that MoBo but can someone confirm.

If you put an SSD in there it will fly. It's a solid computer, and will keep you going for a few years.

Only thing - don't put win10 on it. Win 10 is heavy on resources, and will *slightly* slow down the machine. If I were you, I would throw an SSD in there for win 7.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (42KB, 542x667px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
42KB, 542x667px
>>57692891
What about this? I think it has Dual Xeon Quad-Core E5450. Would it work for gaming? It sounds like it's for server use.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.