[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ham thread?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 8

File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
I just came into possession of this a few weeks back. I've done some googling and everything and this is apparently a 1989 year of production President Lincoln radio.

Anyone familiar with this or similar models?
>>
File: gore1.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
gore1.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
>>57688276
Gore bump
>>
File: voltage.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
voltage.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
>>57688276
It says it needs 13.8 volts but I can run it off of my car starter kit.

Apparently radio pulls 1 amp per hour during rx and pulls 4.5 during tx.
>>
File: fuck file size restrictions.jpg (999KB, 2443x2597px) Image search: [Google]
fuck file size restrictions.jpg
999KB, 2443x2597px
>>57688276
>>
>>57688532
>>
File: car starter on fm.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
car starter  on fm.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>57688276
It's also frequency expanded.

So it has 10 meter and CB frequencies. Is this a good radio?
>>
>>57688470
Post smaller pictures, faggot. Yeah, you can only do QRP on 12V. You'll need a dedicated PSU if you want to get full power out of it.

>>57688649
I personally don't know if it's good or bad just from the head but hook it up to an antenna, try to make some contacts and see how far you reach and how much you hear.

On the other hand, any anons into SWL? I'm planning to get a Tecsun PL-310ET to go alongside my main rig so I need some shit to listen. Any interesting stations? For now I've just found the overcomer ministry but they seem to have a lot of rebroadcasts of the same shit.

Don't let good threads die, /g/
>>
I know nothing about radios and their transmission mediums. What's a good place to start? Any book recommendations?
>>
>>57688649
yeah, it is a great radio, hang on it, and dont let any armchair idiots CB nuts mess with it and dont let them talk you out of it, that is a 25 watt radio so dont try to tweak more power out of it or you'll screw it up, keep it just they way you got it, put the covers back on be glad you own a nice old school "Big Radio" those were a sought after radio all throughout the 1990's
>>
>>57689065
I gotta find an antenna that can be plugged in and I also gotta find a mic that will work with it. I can't find anyone selling 5 pin microphones for it. Pic related, pinout of microphone. Also, I'm not licensed. Apparently it's made by uniden.

Numbers stations are still fun to listen to.
>>
>>57689065
the whole point of posting full sized images is to appreciate the details
>>
these are pretty low tier rigs
>>
>>57689180
Google "RTLSDR" and once you get it running, your own interest will make you learn everything else. It's what got me into ham radio. If you feel like spending some more (~40$), get shortwave enabled direct sampling modded RTLSDR from Aliexpress or eBay.

http://www.rtl-sdr.com/
http://www.sigidwiki.com/wiki/Signal_Identification_Guide

>>57689239
Well, thankfully for CB you don't need a license but keeo it up to 4W. Getting licensed is ezpz, though. I couldn't really assist you with a microphone but try to determine if your station's connector is standardized and then look for compatible microphones on chinese sites mentioned above.
>>
>>57689192
It's already been modified. It's been frequency expanded and there are holes in the stickers that say "Don't ADJ".

>>57689180
I started with the special forces manuals and went from Antennas and SHTF threads to actual interest in radio. A good place to get practical tried and true easy shit is special forces/military manuals on radio. Then try ARRL for the actual math and stuff behind it.
>>
>>57689180
/hamradio/ full ch4n
>>
>>57689180
check out SDR. it's a lil radio you can listen rom 24MHz - 1.7GHz with. about $10

Learn modes, CW, USB, FM, WFM, AM, etc.
Learn about digital encoding C4FM and the codecs that use them like P25 or DMR
There's plenty of software for that kind of stuff, (decoding pagers for ex)

Get into real radios that transmit
start with baofeng, talk to some local hams, join a club get your license. Learn more about SWR, and how radio waves work. Maybe even build some radios from a kit.

check the /g/ wiki
>>
>>57689306
yeah, i know somebody unlocked 11 meter CB frequencies, so dont try to do more to it because it has already been tweaked as much as it can handle
>>
>>57689300
these people build the best RTL-SDR dongles, they sell them through amazon.com for about 20 bucks

http://www.rtl-sdr.com/

http://www.rtl-sdr.com/buy-rtl-sdr-dvb-t-dongles/
>>
The uv5r is currently selling for 18$ from Ebay, and the WouXun KG-UV9D at 112£, I know nothing about HAM radio though, just seemed like good deals.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BAOFENG-Walkie-Talkie-UV-5R-136-174-400-479-995MHz-Dual-Band-DTMF-CTCSS-DCS-FM-/232154074226?hash=item360d760c72:g:PCEAAOSw5cNYLgC5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walkie-Talkie-Wouxun-KG-UV9D-Plus-UHF-VHF-Cross-Band-Repeater-FM-2-Way-Radio-AS-/172258280937?hash=item281b64c5e9:g:pQ0AAOSwSv1XksPz
>>
Isn't /k/ better at ham radio than /g/?
>>
>>57689597
Aren't we a tech board? Guns have little to do with radio.
>>
FYI morse code is no longer a requirement for your license so it's easier than ever.
>>
>>57689619
Preppers though.
>>
File: ham.jpg (122KB, 976x732px) Image search: [Google]
ham.jpg
122KB, 976x732px
>>
anyone else is checking /hamradio/ on 8.ch ?
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.