[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Laptop motherboard repair?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

File: motherboard-repair.jpg (453KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
motherboard-repair.jpg
453KB, 2048x1536px
I got a gaming laptop which has starting shutting down suddenly. I suspect it may be bad capacitors on the motherboard.

Is it possible for a novice to diagnose and repair a laptop motherboard, or is it just better to buy a replacement?
>>
>>57685292
Dont bother, it's too difficult and you'll probably mess up the air-tight compartments
>>
>>57685769

Is it even worth looking into having someone repair it, or just get another motherboard?
>>
>>57685292
>doing measurements like that w/ no grounding or anything
why don't you just throw it in the trash right away

also, as for your original question: lol.
>>
>>57685292

if you have never done this before you probably can't
>>
>>57685292
Even if you half-split your way to the fauly capacitor, it's probably fucking surface-mount (unless it's a large one for a filter) and you'll destroy three other components trying to replace it.
>>
>>57687586

cuck
>>
>>57687600
mad because you can't face reality
>>
>>57687589
Surgeon hands it's possible or a lot of patience with using other objects to brace the soldering iron or bracing the elbow or wrist against a solid object while soldering/desoldering, but how old is the laptop?
>>
>>57687614
>brace the soldering iron
>surface mount components
Nigga how dumb are you
>>
File: 1478219581964-pol.jpg (63KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1478219581964-pol.jpg
63KB, 1280x720px
>>57685292
Louis Rossmann can help you.
>>
>tfw this russian guy that lives near me fixes laptops and he showed me all the aliexpress shops where he gets his spare shit for peanuts

fucker doesn't even use a microscope, just a bunch of glasses with augmentation
>>
>>57687551
Depends on how much this person will charge for the repair.
>>
>>57687586
If you ground then how are you going to measure it properly?
>>
>>57685292
Take the motherboard out and bake it an oven.
>>
Get a new laptop, senpai
>>
have you checked the temperature? get speccy or speedfan and then use prime95 or whatever you want to stress test the cpu. watch the temperature. If it's over 80C, your fan has died. sometimes they can be brought back by spinning them manually with a pen, if not $5 replacement and 15 minutes to swap it out. you're also going to want to update the bios
>>
this is exactly why you don't get a gaming laptop

gaming computers run hot

laptops and their components are designed to be cramped together and portable

you want a big tower not a bunch of shit mushed together if you want to play the kind of games that require a "gaming computer" (those games are more showcases for graphics than anything, they aren't even fun 9/10 times)

you're stupid
>>
>>57685292
>I got a gaming laptop which has starting shutting down suddenly. I suspect it may be bad capacitors on the motherboard.
No.
Laptops do not and have never used fluid electrolytics. They're too big.
>>
>>57687669
>fucker doesn't even use a microscope, just a bunch of glasses with augmentation
Just means he doesn't care about doing a good job, just getting it to boot and getting it out.
>>
>>57685292
You'd have to remove any capacitors you wanted to test, then solder them back onto the pcb when you discover they're fine. A week later you find out there's nothing bad about any caps it's something else and you have no idea, or maybe you get that one-in-a-million shot and deduce it's an IC.. in a BGA package, which takes $10000 worth of equipment and months of training to successfully replace, assuming you can even get it in the first place.

Get a new motherboard -- assuming anyone will sell it to you without also charging you labor to do the work because they're not authorized to sell parts.

Face it lads, modern electronics are a throw-away. They're not designed to be repaired, they're designed to be cheap to assemble. You want serviceability? Go back to the 1980's.
>>
File: 1469236813676.gif (2MB, 230x175px) Image search: [Google]
1469236813676.gif
2MB, 230x175px
>>57685292
>gaming laptop
>>
>>57685292
Its probably just over heating. Clean fan, vents, and put new thermal paste on the chips.
>>
>>57685292

If you have actual experience with PCB rework/repair sure, but if you're a complete noob better consider that motherboard trashed and a learning experience before you even start.

I suspect a faulty battery charging circuit, not generally bad capacitors. Or overheating, though modern cpus tend to throttle instead of shutting down.
>>
>>57685292
I fixed my laptop by replacing a cap near the CPU socket with some caps I ripped out of my old GPU. Yes, you can do that a regular soldering iron.

Though if you have no experience, I'd let someone else deal with it. You can fuck shit up if you don't know what you're doing.
>>
>>57685292
In the trade it is almost always uneconomical to repair at board-level.
If you figure out the capital costs of the equipment involved, the training, the salaries etc against the cost of either having spares in stock or overnight freighted to you you'll see that repairs are not a good strategy, especially when you realise you can do the repair and then find it's not fixed anyway (all too often).
IBM stopped board-level repairs back in the '70s. They moved to a system of Field Replacable Units (FRUs) which were kept in strategically located stockrooms.
>>
>>57690000
Quads of truth
>>
File: kjrewkjl.jpg (582KB, 682x802px) Image search: [Google]
kjrewkjl.jpg
582KB, 682x802px
>>57693746

s-shut up!
>>
>>57694892

Is it possible to diagnose where the fault is with just a multimeter?
>>
>>57693746
/thread.
>>
File: 1478972589116.jpg (1MB, 1500x994px) Image search: [Google]
1478972589116.jpg
1MB, 1500x994px
>>57685292
>I suspect it may be bad capacitors on the motherboard.
no, i have the same problem, is not a capacitor on the motherboard but a capacitor on the power supply, open it and change it

thats all
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.