[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Making a Plex Media Server soon, was wondering what /g/ thinks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: shield-android-tv-still.jpg (153KB, 1446x928px) Image search: [Google]
shield-android-tv-still.jpg
153KB, 1446x928px
Making a Plex Media Server soon, was wondering what /g/ thinks of using a Nvidia shield for it. One of my friends who's a tech enthusiast swears by it, but I'm still not sure if I'll be buying a 200$ meme or not.
>>
>>57684115
is NAS an option for you?
>>
Eh... I used to run my own plex server inside my house. I ended getting a large VPS and wish I would of done it in the first place. I pay less in 3 years for my professionally hosted environment then I would of getting a more powerful server at home.

I use private trackers, so not too worried about DMCA but at the same time it's also nice to know I will never have my ISP jumping down my throat as well since I torrent and stream off the same VPS.
>>
>>57684251
Yes, that's what I was originally planning before my friend started shilling his Shield when I brought it up with him.
>>
>>57684275
>wish I would of done it
> "would of"

its liek UR trying to English or sumthin
so many kawaii
so much adorables, anon-tan
>>
>>57684115
You can run a Plex media server on your main computer you fucking faggot. You just want another excuse to buy a shiny toy.
>>
>>57684345
a small server for plex would have considerably less power draw than your main computer, you fucking faggot.
>>
>>57684554
>turning off your computer
>>
>>57684567
>having aids
>>
>>57684579
>actually turning off your computer when you're not using it to save 5 cents a year on electricity
kek
>>
>>57684115
Will you be streaming from outside your home network? If so, the shield may not work well. Read the plex FAQ for transcoding requirements.
>>
>>57684611
Yea, I was just going over that FAQ a few minutes ago. Shield is starting to become a little less appealing. Any good guides for baby's first NAS?
>>
File: sugoi.png (204KB, 433x591px) Image search: [Google]
sugoi.png
204KB, 433x591px
>>57684115
Those shields are overpriced shit.

source: my friend hyped it, bought it and then tried to sell it off a month later.
>>
>using gamerized nVidia shilled tablet
>>
>>57684737
I bought it when they were £119 and they gave the Remote for free (low sales i think). This offer was on for months.

I then ended up selling it near 6 months later for £130. Not bad desu.
>>
Does anyone agree using an old/free PC for a NAS is more cost effective? Without spending any money on the machine (aside from HDDs of course) I take it the money saved would be able to power it for years before the electricity spent matches up.
>>
Last bump
>>
>>57684115

Id just get a old Optiplex off ebay for 50 bucks and call it a day. Little to no transcoding needed if your stuff is mp4/mkv and even if you do have to, the c2d is enough to do a stream or two at the same time
>>
>>57686969
For sure. It's a great way to recycle parts that are a bit old but not too ancient.
>>
>>57684647
Just slap together whatever parts you have. Also, will you be using plex outside of your home network or not?
>>
I have a raspi 3 with an external hard drive. It's worked fine for in-home streaming.
>>
I've done this like crazy. I've had three Fire TVs (terrible), two Nexus Players (not bad, but still lacking), and an Apple TV (fucking fantastic, believe it or not). I also have two friends who own the Shield TV and swear by it. I've also taken my media collection far enough that I've spun off torrents and Plex into their own separate computers, neither of which are my main.

As far as I know, the Shield TV is literally the only good Android TV box, the only one truly worth owning. Otherwise, get a Roku (cheaper) or an Apple TV (better).

>>57684345

Yeah, but you shouldn't, especially if you aren't perpetually alone in your house. OTF transcoding and file copies (i.e. adding new content) can fuck up what you're doing on your main.

>>57686969
>>57688881

The thing about those old/free PCs is that they're generally very limited on hard drive bays/ports, and usually don't scale beyond 2ish drives, especially those shitty Optiplexes.

Also, whenever you start thinking it's a cool idea to use an old computer as your always-on media server because it doesn't cost you a lot of money, picture your computer literally burning coal. Because that's what it's doing.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.