[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are old ThinkPads so expensive?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

File: t40.png (437KB, 1134x527px) Image search: [Google]
t40.png
437KB, 1134x527px
Why are old ThinkPads so expensive?
>>
>>57678772
TPs are endorsed by Richard Stallman
>>
>>57678772
How is that expensive, it even has free shipping
>>
>>57678772
that's less than your daily intake of doritos you fucking sack of shit.
>>
>>57678867
>Pentium D
>Broken
>30 Trump Bucks
>implying thats a good Price

are you even trying?
>>
Y'know, if you asked that panel to display the bluest blue it could manage, it still wouldn't be as blue as its blacks.
>>
>>57678958
The "broken" bit just seems to be a BIOS issue
>>
>>57678958
The LCD panels in those are like $20. If the battery still works and all thats wrong with it is the HDD is dead (what I'd guess is wrong) then $12 for everything else isnt really bad.
>>
>>57678958
>pentium D
Nigga it's a Pentium M. The Pentium D was two Prescott P4's on one die.
>>
>>57678772
Yeah, there's a pretty high chance of it being BIOS locked. You can't set the time if there's a Supervisor Password set, therefore it will always show the error message preventing boot.
>>
>>57678772
30 bucks with free sheeping...

That thing is fucking free it probably costs MORE than 30 bucks to ship that half ton laptop.
>>
>>57679283
More likely the CMOS battery is dead. And even if there's a password, isn't there a jumper that can be set to clear it?
>>
are new thinkpads worth it /g/? i want to get the silver 13 and swap out the ssd for a bigger one.
do they include a copy of your windows key and disc what would be the best way to format and do a clean install to get rid of bloatware
>>
>>57679524
yes there is pin 5 and 6 should be shorted
>>
>>57678958
at a certain point you must realize the seller is in this for the money, why the fuck would they list something for $10 if they know they can get $30+?

Just kill yourself if you don't understand how this is possible.
>>
>>57679543
New thinkpads are bog standard chinkshit, you might as well just buy any old cheap piece of shit.
>>
theyre pretty cheap for what they are
i buy them and upgrade them as a hobby

T42 - 25$
R30 - 17$ (5$ shipping)
R52 - 23$
X41t - 50$
G40 - 40$

maybe spent 100$ on parts, upgraded processors, hdd's, ram, etc

shits cheap
shitposting from my x41t right now
>>
Because they know retards from /g/ with autismbux to spend will pay for them
>>
>>57678958
Pentium M
Looks like it just needs a new CMOS battery, which is 5$ max
If you cant afford 30$ how do you have internet
Thats a decent price if it has the rest of its components, i can see it being worth a max of 50$ in fully functional condtion
>>
"broken" in this case is the cmos battery. a $2 fix. Or just hit F1 every time and don't expect the time to be right.

x4x and x6x are staying in the depreciation zone, previous models are going to see a rise in prices due to hipsters. Probably the x2x are also still worthless but the 700 series will fetch much more due to hipsters.
>>
>>57683152
>5$
Is it made of gold or something?
>>
>>57680107
Wrong. There is a way to clear by shorting pins, but pretty much every tutorial out there, and the advice given here, is wrong. Shorting SCL and SDA is useless. It just hangs the machine.
>>
Where does g buy its thinkpad batteries ?

A friend gave me a nice X201s but soon after the battery gave up, i looked for a new one in lenovo official web shop but the prices (180€ for a 6 cells, 220€ for the 9) are dissuasive.

At the moment CPU is an i3 370m, i can get an i5 560m for 30€ is the upgrade worth it ?
>>
>>57685503
oem is overpriced. go with no name chinese or third party name brands like agptek, anker, or addonics. when you get it just make sure to check its max capacity and put it under load with any cpu stress tool
>>
File: CtOt0t-UEAAyZLU.jpg (38KB, 500x301px) Image search: [Google]
CtOt0t-UEAAyZLU.jpg
38KB, 500x301px
>>57678772

Because /g/ neckbeards keep embelishing their qualities and performance while jizzing over the IBM logo. Kinda like Applefags with their macbooks but you'll never see them admit it.
>>
Because you idiots keep buying them
>>
>>57683110
>G40 - 40$
Isn't that the 6" thick "desktop replacement" model with a desktop-class P4? I wouldn't pay a dime for that.
>>
>>57678958
It costs $15 to ship. The whole thing is worth maybe $10 by itself. The seller has to make some profit for it to be worthwhile to them. You won't find much of any laptops less than $30 on ebay, broken or not.
>>
>>57685197
Well then tell us
>>
>>57691816
Short answer is the correct pins to short are PROT and GND, not SCL and SDA. I'm testing it on ~ everything right now.
>>
>>57686734
3" and yes, socket 478

Its pretty cool just for the e-peen points. There only one other guy i ever see in /tpg/ who has one and mine is in much better shape
>>
>>57678943
butthurt much
>>
>>57683110

Have this w ssd running arch. Love it
>>
>>57679019
>If the battery still works
not sure which you're talking about (bios battery or the chargable battery powering the laptop) but i'd guess that both are dead
>>
>>57680107
Thinkpads can't be unlocked with pleb methods such as this. There's a special chip holding the password and you need special equipment to reprogram it to unlock the laptop.
>>
>>57678958
That's about as low as any laptop gets
>>
>>57686289
Thinkpads (at least the older ones) are objectively better than Applel laptops though.
>>
>>57693144
You're wrong m8
>>
>>57693144
I love thinkpads but you're being naive here, as long as the pins are shorted the BIOS is fooled into thinking the password has been entered, allowing you to go in and unset it

This works for all up until the T440 I believe
>>
>>57692599
>e-peen between you and a single other neckbeard in existence
May God have mercy on your lost soul.
>>
>>57693144
I've bought a BIOS locked X200T off ebay for $20 and shorted the pins to fix it. I promise it works on at least that one.
>>
File: Lenovo-ThinkPad-T460s.jpg (18KB, 730x205px) Image search: [Google]
Lenovo-ThinkPad-T460s.jpg
18KB, 730x205px
>poorfags cant afford the new thinkpad
>>
collectors,parts and general autism of the thinkpad meme
>>
>>57693238

Wow, guess Thinkpads are really secure machines.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.