[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

NoScript/Umatrix are not necessary when using a sandbox

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1452398712263.jpg (552KB, 624x1027px) Image search: [Google]
1452398712263.jpg
552KB, 624x1027px
When running a browser in a sandbox like firejail, these extensions only limit online features. If you run into a malicious script, no worries, because its sandboxed and your machine will not be affected. Did I get this right? Correct me if I'm wrong. Also sandbox thread, very useful.
>>
>>57673217
Why sandboxing when you can run a disposable VM?

Sandboxes are good, but VM's are way better for this
>>
>>57673348
Well of coarse, but firing up a VM just to browse is overkill. A sandbox is just a better security measure then extensions. You don't have to block content, and not worry about malicious scripts being executed.
>>
>>57673491
I just browse the web using live usb
>>
>>57673348
>>>57673217 (OP)
Why run disposable VMs when you can buy and use disposable computers?

VMs are good, but buying new computers is way better for this
>>
It depends on what you do in the browser and what you care about. Your host will be isolated but obviously the sandbox itself will not be, now this may not be important if it's disposable or if you don't enter sensative information, however if you use a persistent sandbox that doesn't clear data for your browser you're still susceptible to things like tracking, which you may or may not care about, if you enter any credentials inside that sandbox they might get compromised depending on your restrictions.
>>
>>57673621
Actually I forgot the most important thing; better safe than sorry. The last thing you want is some scary specific 0-day that happens to break out of jail(s), if you can add another layer of security at no major cost then maybe you should, depends how paranoid you are.

Me personally if I'm going to go out of my way to secure something in the first place I'm going to go as far as I practically can with it. What's practical is subjective in this case of course.
>>
>>57673621
>>57673652
All of that is true. The initial argument was that a sandbox is a better alternative to security extensions for everyday browsing. Its not like extensions protect you from being tracked. No one is immune 0-days, a sandbox isn't the be all end all, its just way to view webpages that execute scripts without much worry. Kind of like a seat belt, it will protect you, but not from a tree piercing the windshield.
>>
>>57673348
>VM's are way better for this
Not if you're running a VM from a live session, with HDD removed and do a cold boot.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.