[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

mics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

File: sm58 v at2020.jpg (61KB, 480x572px) Image search: [Google]
sm58 v at2020.jpg
61KB, 480x572px
Requesting assistance friends on microphone related issues.
Firstly; should I get the SM58 or the AT2020 cardioid mic? I think the SM58 because it seems to be better for voice.
Second, what kind of interface would I need / would you recommend I get to use either with my pc?
Plus any other mic related business can go here I guess
>>
This is such an easily google-able question like why don't you just do some basic research

There are literally tonnes of youtube videos about this shit to

>implying i'm helping someone who doesn't have a legit problem and is just being a lazy cunt
>>
>>57664283
too*!
>>
>>57664263
AT2020
And either a Steinberg ur22 or Scarlett 2i2
>>
File: Untitled.png (223KB, 347x345px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
223KB, 347x345px
>>57664263
composer fag reporting in

ask yourself these questions:

Vocals, or instruments?

Is my studio, or recording space acoustically treated?

Do I have an audio interface, or pre-amp with phantom power?

If you answered no to one, or more, get the Dynamic (shure sm58)

The SM58 will be much better for untreated space, and require a lot less commitment hardware wise to really capture its full potential.

If you actually have a decently treated room, and a interface with phantom power, the condenser will record both vocals and instruments better. Almost night and day by comparison.

What's your budget? Give me a dollar figure, and I'll help you out. There's a lot better options than the AT2020 for similar price points.
>>
>>57664355
Holy moly this is actually helpful, thanks.
The instruments I use are electronic anyway so I don't need the mic for that.
Based off your advice it sounds like I'd be much better off getting the sm58 though. I'd probably be willing to spend up to £200-250 for the mic/interface right now since I'm a beginner at trying to actually make music myself as opposed to just playing.
>>
>>57664404
By the sounds of it, you're a beginner musician? Probably using something like FL, or Ableton to write music?

An interface just by itself, will do a great deal of work with improving latency issues and taking some load of your CPU (onboard sound) when running many VSTS without stuttering.

Focusrite have some of the best pre-amps for recording in the industry, and they offer extremely competitive prices for the entry gear.

This is close to your budget, about 270 pounds.
(318euro)

Interface - Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2nd gen - 125 euro

Microphone - Rode NT1-A - 179 euro

Stand - Millenium MS-2003 - 15 euro

Ideally, if you want to trim the budget, you could opt for a dynamic microphone.

Ideally though, a large diaphragm such as the rode will always sound better by comparison.

Apologies for the long reply time, system kept thinking my post was spam.
>>
>>57664404
>>57664601

Just adding onto this post, you can find all of these products on thomann.de - which is what I used based on your currency you listed (UK)
>>
>>57664263
I have the at2020 and its fantastic use it with a Behringer MX802A mixer.
>>
>>57664663
I use my AT2020 with Behringer Q802USB mixer. OP, just remember that the smaller Behringer USB mixers have Phantom power, but ONLY 15V! It's not properly stated in most product spec sheets. You need 48V Phantom power on an XLR connector for the AT2020 (and most condenser mics, unless they come already USB-ready). Not to say it definitely won't work with 15V... it might, but it'll sound much worse and I don't know if it's safe for the hardware in the long run.
>>
File: 1465169617304.png (218KB, 300x366px) Image search: [Google]
1465169617304.png
218KB, 300x366px
>>57664601
Thank you a lot my man. Not a beginner musician exactly, been a drummer for 10 years making my music with classic pen on paper but recently I've been thinking about getting Ableton, getting out the old synth I have and seeing what I can do pretty much haha.
I appreciate you taking the time to write this out though, and I probably will end up going with a slightly cheaper mic partially because I don't really want to do lots of singing anyway so doesn't make much sense to have a beast mic if I don't make the full use of it.
Thanks again my man.
>>
File: adidas-rick-owens-mastodon.jpg (166KB, 940x660px) Image search: [Google]
adidas-rick-owens-mastodon.jpg
166KB, 940x660px
>>57664729
my pleasure, bro.

gl with it.
>>
>>57664729
>drummer
So not a musician
>>
File: 1479076601709.jpg (123KB, 500x597px) Image search: [Google]
1479076601709.jpg
123KB, 500x597px
>>57665049
>>
>>57665692
a drummer and a gay cowboy
>>
>>57666418
>>57665049
you dont need to play an instrument to be a musician tard
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.