[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 15

File: flux-icon-big.png (18KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
flux-icon-big.png
18KB, 256x256px
Is this a meme?
>>
>>57656111
Yes because it's proprietary and only cucks use proprietary programs. Use redshift instead.
>>
its fucking amazing
>>
redshift -O 3700k
>>
>>57656111
no after you've been using it for a little while you realise how bad it is when it's disabled
>>
>>57656170
>>57656370

Why did no one tell me about this before?

Just installed it. It's one of the major things that I've been missing since going to Linux

Thank anonabros
>>
>>57656111
Yes. It only helps because it's dramatically decreasing the brightness of your screen. Blue isn't some evil color that destroys your eyes, otherwise all of humanity would be blind already.
>>
>>57656440
this
>>
>>57656483
if you google flux for linux, it's literally the third thing that comes up
>>
>>57656515
no one said blue light destroys your eyes you fucking sperg
>>
>>57656563
Except that's exactly why everyone says to use it. Because the blue light supposedly strains your eyes horribly, so getting rid of it with this fixes everything.
>>
>>57656646

no its because blue wavelengths of light send stimulatory signals to your suprachiasmatic nucleus which regulates your circadian rhythm based on light patterns. Blue means mid day, reds mean twilight, guess which one signals the release of melatonin?
>>
>>57656871
>guess which one signals the release of melontonin?

black?
>>
>>57656924

wtf i love melatonin now
>>
>>57656871
/thread
>>
>>57656871
Except that's fucking meaningless because most people produce plenty of melatonin. Your meme app is literally just a placebo except to those with serious problems because they don't produce enough melatonin.
>>
>>57656111
Can't speak for the blue light meme, but it serves as a darn good app for reading in pitch black without searing your eyes
>>
File: influx.jpg (133KB, 750x598px) Image search: [Google]
influx.jpg
133KB, 750x598px
logo reminds me of this
>>
I did not notice any difference using redshift, or stopping using it.

If you have problem sleeping, there's this obscure thing called physical activity that might help. But that requires effort.
>>
>>57657425
So does a lamp, shit for brains.
>>
Yes, it's a reddit tier meme even.
>>
>>57657621
lmao wtf
>>
>>57656111
pretty sure this is not a meme, no
>>
>>57657385
Spotted the teenage retard here.

"Melatonin is a hormone secreted by the pineal gland in the brain. It helps regulate other hormones and maintains the body's circadian rhythm. The circadian rhythm is an internal 24-hour "clock" that plays a critical role in when we fall asleep and when we wake up. When it is dark, your body produces more melatonin."
>>
>>57659846
I didn't dispute the existence of melatonin you fucking invalid. Most people already produce plenty of melatonin, so there is no use using a meme app that is supposed to make them produce more.
>>
>>57659910
For someone that knows about melatonin you sure don't seem to know shit. Melatonin production is disrupted by blue light. It doesn't increase production, it stops your screen from inhibiting it.
>>
>>57658405
Hey retard, have you considered that people might be living in a different circumstance from you? I wouldn't want a fucking LAMP on right now because my roommate is asleep 20 feet to my right.
>>
>>57659938
>It doesn't increase production, it stops your screen from inhibiting it.
>A net increase in production isn't an increase in production
Whatever you say, anon.
>>
>>57657425
So does turning down your brightness.
>>
>>57656142
spbp
>>
>>57660040
You're not actually this retarded, it's okay to be wrong.

Your logic is the same as arguing that a sale on something you were never going to buy is "saving money", you made a "net increase in money", but only by moving the goalpost.
>>
>>57659910
Ultraviolet light causes the body to produce less melatonin. When it's dark out, the sun isn't there to put the UV light out and more melatonin is produced to make babby sleepy.
>>
>>57656111
I like it, it makes my monitor less bright at night time. but not like changing the brightness to make it dim, just hurts my eyes less.
>>
>>57656111
one of the worst meme senpai.
as useless as a mechanical keyboard. Stay away from that piece of shit self-called software.
>>
File: 1441451054579.gif (1MB, 300x228px) Image search: [Google]
1441451054579.gif
1MB, 300x228px
>>57656111
To me it's a meme, I installed it because I thought it would be nice and ultimately I don't like how it fucks up my colors.

I know there are people that not only swear by it but also need it.
>>
>>57660094
That's not the same at all. It's more like if your insurance suddenly costs less. You had to buy it anyway but now it costs less, thus you saved money.
>>
>>57656170
I wish it worked on my machine.
It kept giving me weird errors or simply not working so in the end I just stopped trying.
>>
>>57660258
Really? Someone's forcing you to browse 4chan at 4am? That's an interesting situation you've got there. Sure is the average situation as well.
>>
/g/: everything is a meme, everyone is a faggot, everything anyone does is autistic.
>>
>>57660275
What the fuck are you even talking about at this point? Did you forget what this argument was about?
>>
>>57660197
At first it can be weird, but when you get used to it you can't go back.
If for some reason it's not on you immediately feel it, feel the strain on your eyes.
>>
i disable it when im playing videogames. My eyes felt really strained one day, so i installed it, and now they hurt a bit less. Even if it just dims my display automatically at night, it helps.
>>
>>57660110
Did you read the post you replied to? I'm not disputing the existence of melatonin.
>>
File: 1442360757007.gif (3MB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
1442360757007.gif
3MB, 620x400px
>>57660309
See the problem with this is I've been made autistic about monitor color accuracy and tuning.

I'd probably would get used to it but knowing that I'm not getting the best gamma settings, or the most accurate whites and the most accurate contrast hurts my autisms.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php
>>
>>57660301
Weird, at first people are producing "plenty of melatonin", but at the same time you're arguing that it produces a "net increase", which can only be the case if you're assuming that everyone is for some reason staring at a blue screen late into the night.

Strange that everyone in your world is both producing more than enough melatonin and at the same time inhibiting their melatonin production.

That or you just moved the goalposts so you wouldn't look like a total fucking retard for having no idea what melatonin did. But hey, it's probably more likely that everyone is a special snowflake than that you're a dipshit... right?
>>
>>57660345
It's only different at night, you can also just turn it off temporarily if you're doing work that requires color accuracy. That said the change is pretty jarring if you're switching it on and off so I can see where you're coming from.
>>
>>57660345
Just click the "disable for an hour" checkbox when you have to do color sensitive work.
That's what I do when I have to edit photos or watch kino.

For everything else I keep it on.
I don't need colot accuracy for browsing the web or programming.
>>
>>57660336
You're just disputing what it does and where it comes from?
>>
File: blhB1xf.jpg (483KB, 1920x1464px) Image search: [Google]
blhB1xf.jpg
483KB, 1920x1464px
>>57660361
>>57660374

I may give it another chance if I feel my eyes melting at night. Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>57660361
I don't feel it that jarring.
I'm >>57660374
Just set the change to 1 minute fade or even better walk away from your monitor for a minute, drink a glass of water, strech your back and when you come back you'll immediately be accustomed to the colors.

Also it's not only different at night.
Well, you can set it to be but I prefer to have it also during daytime.
I don't really remember how it defaults.
>>
>>57660351
What the fuck? No, that's not moving the goalposts at all. Most people produce more than enough melatonin even with the inhibited production during part of the night. Removing that inhibitor will slightly increase the amount of melatonin, but that's completely irrelevant because sightly more melatonin won't be helpful for the vast majority of people because they already produce enough.
How is this difficult for you to understand?
>>57660378
No, I'm not. I'm disputing that anon's assertion that you need more melatonin.
>>
>>57656111
You're on /g/, everything is a meme.
>>
>>57660417
>anon's assertion that you need more melatonin.
>>57659910
>a meme app that is supposed to make them produce more

You're the only one asserting that it does that. It's obviously not the case to anyone who actually understands or has read anything about what f.lux aims to do.
>>
>>57660417
Because you're literally pulling words out of your ass? Everything you've said flies in the face of the actual science and is based on nothing but your experience.
>>
File: 1384078396011.jpg (19KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1384078396011.jpg
19KB, 625x626px
>>57660417
when the argument goes from youre wrong to it doesnt matter if youre right
>>
100% yes it's a meme

People all across the interwebs whinge and moan about colour accuracy and then install this shit. People are fucking retarded.
>>
>>57660462
You asserted it first. The reason you gave to use the app in the first post in this argument was that it will make you produce melatonin, and that would only be necessary if you don't produce enough already.
Is this entire shitposting spree of yours seriously caused by your utter lack of any logic whatsoever?
>>57660471
>you're literally pulling words out of your ass
I don't see where I've made any words up anon, but feel free to post them if you ever feel like making a coherent argument.
>>57660512
I never once claimed that he was wrong; from my first post I was saying that his reason to use it is fucking stupid because it's completely unnecessary.
>>
>>57660523
>will make you produce melatonin
>>57659910
>a meme app that is supposed to make them produce more

But that's you anon.
>>
>not just use sct
>>
>>57660523
"Most people produce more than enough melatonin" citation needed.
"but that's completely irrelevant" citation needed.
"sightly more melatonin won't be helpful" citation needed.
"they already produce enough." citation needed.

Of course you wouldn't just be basing all of this on your personal experience and claiming to know what you're talking about... right?
>>
>>57660537
It was you. The entire time I was asserting that your reason for using it is fucking stupid and unnecessary.
>>57656871
>guess which one signals the release of melatonin
>>57660523
>The reason you gave to use the app in the first post in this argument was that it will make you produce melatonin, and that would only be necessary if you don't produce enough already.
>>
>>57660575
>It was the other retard that also didn't know what melatonin was.

Guys I promise I'm not the only fuckwit in the room. Promise.
>>
>>57660572
You're asserting that people don't produce enough and thus they need this app to get rid of the blue light that is preventing them from producing some.
You're telling me to provide proof for saying that your assertion is bullshit? That isn't how the burden of proof works.
>>
>>57660596
"People don't produce enough"

>Melatonin is inhibited by blue light
>People's screens are blue

Quite the assertion to make I realise. Meanwhile you're arguing that for some reason people produce more than enough, which makes basically zero sense evolutionarily.

The argument that follows from the scientific fact that melatonin production is inhibited by blue light, or the argument that relies on people wasting energy to produce more of a chemical than they need. hmm..
>>
>Don't trust this board
>>
>>57660623
>why should I use this app
>because it helps you produce melatonin
Right, it's completely illogical that one would conclude from that statement that you believe them to not be producing enough already.
Your entire argument is founded on a fundamental assumption that you are evidently too stupid to see.
>>
>>57660650
No one is arguing it helps you produce melatonin you inbred. I'll just sit here and wait for you to show that people are producing "more than enough" melatonin, which is obviously the evolutionary adaptation that humanity has made in the XX years since we started looking at blue screens, right?
>>
>>57660664
>No one is arguing it helps you produce melatonin
Except for >>57656871, who started this entire argument by asserting that you should use the app because it helps you produce melatonin.
>>
>>57660672
So your entire argument is that you're not the only fucking retard too stupid to know what melatonin is or does. Alright, that's about enough 4chan for the night. You're absolutely right, there ARE two total fucking retards in the thread.
>>
>>57656111

Trips confim meme.

I have a theory about Google:

They really have a huge bunch of great talented programmers. But don't have the same amount of work everytime, the are always gaps where one project dind't start yet or suddenly they bought yet another company and have to somehow keep the staff busy.

So here's waht they do: they flood the market with trillions of useless little tools and libraries. Stuff that isn't really relevant, but allows their JuniorDev's to get some experience in the wild. It also makes Google omnipresent, which is their goal anyway.

flix, flax, flux, redux, reflux..

I guess it's some kind of CEO bingo: who has success with the most stupid logo/name gets a bonus paymen (BTW that's the reason why they chose the retarded mammal for Golang..).
>>
>>57660688
>So your entire argument is that you're not the only fucking retard too stupid to know what melatonin is or does.
No, my argument is that his reason for using it is absolute nonsense. How is your reading comprehension that bad?
>Alright, that's about enough 4chan for the night.
Oh, that explains so much. How about you fuck back off to >>>/tumblr/ and never come back?
>>
>>57660690
Throw enough shit at the wall and some is bound to stick. Only problem with it is that it means you create more products than you can sustain and you wind up fucking over people that get attached to projects that don't quite stick. But w/e
>>
>>57656111
redshift exists, so yes.
>>
>>57656111
>>57656111
it drains my battery faster than my ovulating girlfriend
>>
>>57656111
>be at day
>it's off
>it's okay

>be at day
>it's on
>can't see shit

>be at night
>it's on
>turn it off
>eyes hurt

>be at night
>it's off
>turn it on
>eyes actually speak up and say "thank you"

I think it works.
>>
>>57661244
Have you considered simply lowering your brightness instead of turning off one third of your screen's pixels?
Maybe it only works because you're stupid.
>>
>>57661307
> lowering your brightness
Sometimes it doesn't work, still feel like there's sand in them.
>>
>>57661307
Maybe you need to research what effects blue lights have on people.

Asshole.
>>
>>57661482
He didn't mention blue lights at all, only eye strain.

Asshole.
>>
>>57659846
Wouldn't it be the pituitary gland not the pineal gland?
>>
After 2 days on 0% brightness the screen looks absolutely fine to me, not dim at all, and I can sleep much better now.

Really makes you think.
>>
>can't afford light bulbs
>decalibrate monitor instead
genius
>>
>>57661832
>decalibrate monitor
But the changes aren't permanent. Also, I'm not going to change my bulbs over to warmer whites as it gets darker. Also, the monitor itself is producing light.
>>
Works great for me.
>>
>>57656111
No. Yellow tinted computing glasses is a meme.
>>
File: 5434.jpg (33KB, 331x500px) Image search: [Google]
5434.jpg
33KB, 331x500px
>have severe sleep problems
>try this for several years
>realize nothing has changed, life still ruined by sleep issues
>decide to stop using this placebo bullshit
>everything is the same
>still hate life and also hate the creators of this shitty software
>>
>>57662236
Inspiring story
>>
[spoiler]

can I spoiler code?

[/spoiler]
>>
>>57662236
unironically same

however I now have my screen reddished by using its built-in color correction functions, which I didn't use before
>>
>>57661852
Stop sperging out every time someone doesn't suck the dick of your stupid meme app.
>>
>>57656111
I'm pretty sure it is a meme in the sense of "makes it easier to go to sleep despite staring at your monitor till 2 AM"

It's not a meme in the sense of being more pleasant on the eye though. Just turn it off in the middle of the night and you'll realize what I mean
>>
File: 1430748714019.jpg (49KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
1430748714019.jpg
49KB, 720x405px
I have computer glasses and swear by them. Does the same thing as F.lux but is more comfortable and less noticeable imho.

Reducing blue light is no meme though.
>>
>>57662672
this

I have been using it for nearly 2 months now, and whenever I play games I use the "Movie mode". If you happen to turn f.lux off after a few hours of looking at the screen, your eyes will literally burn off.

However if you do what >>57660416 says, it's alright.

tl;dr of this thread is, it's nice for your eyes to have it during the night, but it most likely wont help you sleep better, but everybody is different
>>
>>57656111
Yes, anything that is popular is a meme. Such as: computer software, computer hardware, oxygen, food, existence.
>>
>>57664952
such as linux and linux users
>>
>>57656440
I just turned off my redshift for a second and almost got eye cancer. i can absolutely confirm this.
>>
>>57665028
its probably because you turned off the only program that does anything on linux, now what can you do on that useless shit?
>>
File: gunnar11.jpg (30KB, 640x304px) Image search: [Google]
gunnar11.jpg
30KB, 640x304px
>>57656111

>not simply wearing a pair of Gunnars
>>
File: 2222.png (164KB, 303x298px) Image search: [Google]
2222.png
164KB, 303x298px
>>57656370

"deleting this cuz hur dur a furfeg"

>but anime here is ok

ok, im out
>>
>>57656924
>>>57656871
>>guess which one signals the release of melontonin?
>black?
My sides
>>
>>57657385
If that were the case no one would use flux
>>
>>57660596
Actually he asserted that the people that use the software do so in order to produce more melanin by reducing their exposure to blue light in the evening, which makes perfect sense.
>>
>>57660672
Actually I'd say he's arguing that exposure to blue light in the evening inhibits the production of melatonin, so the software's purpose is to limit the user's exposure to blue light in the evening and at night, allowing them to fall asleep easily.
>>
>>57656111
If it's a meme it's a reality-bending one, because it legitimately does make screens easier on my eyes after dark, and it does it without reducing contrast (unlike turning brightness down). For surfing/reading/shitposting purposes, your brain adjusts for the hue shift after a while and you don't even notice the color difference. It's annoying for games and graphics apps (Photoshop, etc), but that's fixed by putting those apps on flux's blacklist.

But where it's appreciated even more than on my computer is on my phone. Ever since Apple implemented Night Shift as a stock iOS feature, reading books and mango on my iPad in bed and checking the time when I wake up in the middle of the night doesn't scald my eyes any more.
>>
Can't you just turn down the brightness?
>>
>>57667118
>He's not arguing that this app helps them produce more, he's just arguing that this app helps them produce more.
Whatever you say, anon.
>>
>>57667209
>If it's a meme it's a reality-bending one
>I have never heard of the placebo affect
It only works so well for you because you want it to. The results are real, but the methodology behind it isn't.
>>
>>57667384
Helps people produce a normal amount, who would otherwise produce a less than normal amount, due to exposure to blue light. If you can't actually understand the practical use of the software, as it has been explained to you multiple times in the thread, then you're a fucking retard.
>>
File: we.png (13KB, 556x233px) Image search: [Google]
we.png
13KB, 556x233px
>tfw winter
>>
>>57667491
I really don't think it's placebo. There have been times where something will cause flux to flicker off for a second or two when I'm not expecting it at all (removing the cognitive component entirely) and my reflexive reaction is always squinting before I even know what's happened, similar to how you might react if a floodlight aimed at your face suddenly turned on.
>>
>>57656111
It's only a memo you don't like it
>>
File: 1475182308247.png (118KB, 500x641px) Image search: [Google]
1475182308247.png
118KB, 500x641px
>>57656111
i hate that the hill(?) is not another perfect circle. it drives me mad
>>
>>57656440
>>57665028
these
>>
Placebo or not, I like it. Even if it has no effect the fact that the placebo has an effect is enough.
>>
File: Screenshot_20161124-125159.png (172KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161124-125159.png
172KB, 1440x2560px
Is Red Moon a meme? It works well and is open source.
>>
>>57667718
CF-Lumen or gtfo
>>
>>57667718
Most android-fluxalikes aren't as good as the real thing because they don't actually modify color temperatures but instead put a red overlay over everything, which isn't the same thing.
>>
>>57667718
Well, bud

1) Open source doesn't mean it's the best option

2) You should try it out for yourself and thinking for yourself instead of having /g/ spoon feed you all of your opinions
>>
File: Screenshot_20161124-125707.png (279KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161124-125707.png
279KB, 1440x2560px
>>57667765
But I am running it myself (pic related).

>>57667752
I think you may be right about that. You can adjust the color temperature though (or it could just be a fancy overlay). It does use an overlay because I can't install apks while running it.
>>
>>57667832
I need to adjust my settings.
>>
>>57667832
that looks disgusting

Get CFLumen
It doesn't show up in screenshots
>>
>>57667862
Again, my settings are a little fucked.
>>
File: Screenshot_20161124-130354.png (252KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161124-130354.png
252KB, 1440x2560px
>>57667862
This is the default mode
>>
Anything like it on linux?
>>
>>57667832
update your phone you mong
>>
>>57667902
Custom recovery, running a stock rom. I need to flash stock recovery to update.
>>
>>57667898
follow the second part of my reply
>>
>>57667912
get the OTA zip
it works with custom recoveries
>>
>>57667575
>Screen suddenly gets much brighter
>Forces you to squint
Who could have predicted this?
>>
I just piss on my screen in the evening
has the same effect
>>
>>57656111
Its for people who like to sleep.
I just use as much blue as possible everywhere and always keep my lights on.
>>
>>57659910
Your arguments are causing people to produce more melatonin wew lad
>>
Nope, I fucking live by it.
>>
>turn it off
>my eyes feel like they're about to explode

i don't understand how you can stare at your screen all day without flux/redshift
>>
>>57662263
can't spoiler on /g/, buddy
>>
I would use flux on my desktop but it fucks with the color profile and makes my screen all washed out
Thread posts: 136
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.